Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:30:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 626667 times)
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2450 on: February 08, 2012, 11:10:47 PM

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2451 on: February 08, 2012, 11:53:02 PM

I installed a shadows fix mod and a no fast travel mod from the workshop.  It was really about the least painless experience I've had modding a game.  I hope it continues down this path. 

Next up, I need a tougher dragon mod. 
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2452 on: February 09, 2012, 12:21:53 AM

I think I'm going to do the same thing for the rest of the trees with odd wraparound talents that don't actually wrap around.  Breaking a shitton of mods in the process, of course.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2453 on: February 09, 2012, 12:45:52 AM

I'm unimpressed. It has a pretty UI, but its not especially easier to use than TES Nexus' third party mod manager.

Also, I tried to search for a mod I use that slows the timescale to something near-realtime, and... oh, wait, there is no search feature. I guess I decide what category it might be and then flip through dozens of pages to see if it's there?

And I'd guess for those who get their jollies with "kill children" or "moar sexay naked wimmin" mods, those will never show up.

tl;dr - it's not going to replace TES Nexus. Not for me, and not for many others.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2454 on: February 09, 2012, 01:10:07 AM

- Henry Cobb
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2455 on: February 09, 2012, 01:36:13 AM

My personal wishlist :

Two words: Fallout weapons.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2456 on: February 09, 2012, 01:37:59 AM

At D.I.C.E. 2012, Bethesda Game Studios' Todd Howard just showed an amazing highlight reel of mods the studio built into The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim during a week-long "game jam" after the game's release. Features like mounted combat, a lycanthropy skill tree, and one enormous mudcrab, the width of the horizon, were all shown. And that was the tip of the iceberg.

Howard made no promises that anything seen in the demo reel would ever make it into the game, whether as a title update or downloadable content down the line. But it did showcase the depth of what the Bethesda team built and a creative instinct within the team that matches the mod community's enthusiasm, stoked recently by the release of the official Creation Kit.

Some highlights, by no means an exhaustive list:

• Seasonal foliage.
• Spears.
• Kill cams for magic and ranged combat.
• Stealth enhancements such as water arrows.
• Paralysis runes.
• New follower commands for combat style and training.
• Building your own home..
• Goblins.
• Waygate fast travel.
• Mounted combat.
• Dragon mounts.
• Kinect-enabled shouts.
• Enhanced underwater visuals.
• Ice and fire arrows.
• A Werebear.
• Lycanthropy skill tree.
• Becoming a flying vampire, with minions..
• An enormous mud crab.
• "Fat giants."

And said mods in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOFLqItuW4

I'm torn between being excited for how cool many of those mods were and being furious that they're not already part of the fucking game.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #2457 on: February 09, 2012, 01:51:42 AM

So valve has the time and energy to make skyrim mods, but not EP3? Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2458 on: February 09, 2012, 01:53:27 AM

That's not even Valve in the case of what I posted and linked. This is Bethsoft themselves! In a week!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2459 on: February 09, 2012, 01:57:55 AM

"You have a week to make something you like, but it must fit in the game" probably saw a lot of things pulled out of mothballs or existing concepts tweaked.

However, it doesn't mean that the entire list was ready and playable or balanced at the end of that week.

And I hate to live in a building of nerds if the Kinect enabled shouts had actually been introduced.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2460 on: February 09, 2012, 02:28:35 AM

However, it doesn't mean that the entire list was ready and playable or balanced at the end of that week.

It's almost like you've never played an Elder Scrolls game before!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

And yeah, I don't disagree with you that most of those were probably mothballed ideas brought back for one more hurrah (spell mixing in particular was something that was hyped at E3 last year - or was it PAX? - and then never saw release) and more than a couple probably weren't ready for prime time. But I also can't imagine it would take more than maybe a month to take a handful of the neatest things from that sizzle reel and make them release-worthy. I'd even toss down a few bucks for a "Shit We Would Have Had at Release if We Didn't Have a Retarded Deadline Pack", though I'd chafe and grumble all the way.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #2461 on: February 09, 2012, 03:32:35 AM

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #2462 on: February 09, 2012, 03:33:36 AM

That's not even Valve in the case of what I posted and linked. This is Bethsoft themselves! In a week!
I think we're talking about two different things. I was thinking of this:

I'm at fault for posting too quickly, I forgot to quote K9.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2463 on: February 09, 2012, 10:27:50 AM

...being furious that they're not already part of the fucking game.
After watching the video I think I'm firmly in this camp.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2464 on: February 09, 2012, 11:41:56 AM

Also, I tried to search for a mod I use that slows the timescale to something near-realtime, and... oh, wait, there is no search feature. I guess I decide what category it might be and then flip through dozens of pages to see if it's there?

Code:
set timescale to 1

Sorry, it's console or nothing for now I think.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2465 on: February 09, 2012, 01:37:57 PM

...being furious that they're not already part of the fucking game.
After watching the video I think I'm firmly in this camp.

Me too, the stuff they show in that video is awesome!

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2466 on: February 09, 2012, 09:37:57 PM

Sorry, it's console or nothing for now I think.

Not so! This was actually the first mod I installed, back in November.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=183

It might be on Steam, but I had such difficulty trying to search for it I went back to Nexus.

- Henry Cobb
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2467 on: February 10, 2012, 01:05:54 AM

I was looking in the wrong place.  It's a constant not a GMST.  If the nexus mod is working, I'd stick with that for now.

I have completed some of my unfucking of the perk trees.  Namely, you can climb up one side and then back down the other side of the perk trees.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2468 on: February 10, 2012, 04:16:20 PM

Sounds of Skyrim - The Dungeons mod on Workshop is pretty good.  It adds a creepiness to the indoors that wasn't there before.  

I'm looking into their Civilization and The Wilds mods next.  Ah, those are future projects, to include Special Events, too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:22:44 PM by Hawkbit »
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #2469 on: February 10, 2012, 07:58:14 PM

I'm waiting (well, morbidly curious to see) for a pokemon mod.  Just a normal pokemon side game which pops up in the middle of everything every once in a while and completely breaks you out the world with the bright cartoony charazard character or whatever.  Of course, that may have to do with all the alcohol I've been drinking lately.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2470 on: February 10, 2012, 08:37:08 PM

Either I have been out of object-oriented programming for way too fucking long, or the game really doesn't like you referring to leveled item lists in scripts.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2471 on: February 11, 2012, 12:28:47 AM

Not game related, but Beth's concept artist died recently. I liked his work.. and despite some exceptions, I think Skyrim lived up to a lot of his designs.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:31:20 AM by stray »
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2472 on: February 11, 2012, 01:19:39 PM

Not game related, but Beth's concept artist died recently. I liked his work.. and despite some exceptions, I think Skyrim lived up to a lot of his designs.

:(

I just got the game, and was really impressed by the improvement in the art over Oblivion.  Actually managed to make beast races look somewhat cool for the first time since Daggerfall.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2473 on: February 11, 2012, 05:03:44 PM

Not game related, but Beth's concept artist died recently.

... he took an arrow to the knee?

(Not sure if funny or awful.)

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2474 on: February 11, 2012, 05:57:59 PM

Nexus and now the Workshop need a pre-filter that basically checks for "usefulness".  As much as I appreciate someone's attempt at making more decapitations, or "The One Ring" in the game, I'd much rather see mods that enhance Skyrim by staying within the boundaries and theme.  The mod that drops Wheatley is neat and kudos to Valve, but that kind of crap I wish I could filter out. 
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2475 on: February 11, 2012, 09:39:11 PM

Check appropriate boxes, enter search terms, watch list shrink down to useful size.

...Now I just need to know how the fuck to do a mod that automatically levels up scaled items without attaching a script to said items.  I think in Oblivion you could do shit like set a Reference variable to a leveled list, and the game would parse that as setting the Reference to a single appropriate item from that list, but with Skyrim it might make the script compiler crawl up it's own ass and die.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2476 on: February 12, 2012, 03:10:07 AM

:(

I just got the game, and was really impressed by the improvement in the art over Oblivion.  Actually managed to make beast races look somewhat cool for the first time since Daggerfall.

Yeah, the beast races are great.

Some of it doesn't live up to his artwork though. Like Dragon Bone.. I don't dislike it, but it looks much more badass here.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/10/skyrimdragonarmor.jpg
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2477 on: February 12, 2012, 07:37:31 AM

Grabbed the texture pack finally. Freakin' awesome. I didn't realize how low res it was until after the pack.

May try the mods, but really, I think the game itself is fine for me save some companion pathing problems. All I really want is a game lobby and group quests. But then I'd likely complain about the lack of text chat and group-only quests  Ohhhhh, I see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2478 on: February 12, 2012, 09:25:12 AM

Is there any way to tell your companion to back the fuck up and not go racing headlong into combat without having to go through a dialogue tree? I've got one spot full of Forsworn that I can't get through because I can't stealth kill anyone since my dipshit Lydia decides to kamikaze the whole place. I guess I could send her to wait before the combat, but really, I just want her to not be a berzerker.

Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2479 on: February 12, 2012, 11:53:42 AM

I sent Lydia back to Whiterun where she stays. less hassle with no companion, excepting pacifist type characters (which I'm also enjoying). I like the game better without using potions/scrolls, also losing the floating quest markers, the compass, and fast travel.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2480 on: February 12, 2012, 12:02:44 PM

Is there any way to tell your companion to back the fuck up and not go racing headlong into combat without having to go through a dialogue tree? I've got one spot full of Forsworn that I can't get through because I can't stealth kill anyone since my dipshit Lydia decides to kamikaze the whole place. I guess I could send her to wait before the combat, but really, I just want her to not be a berzerker.

For those kind of followers, you'd be better off giving them ebony mail, if you're willing to do fucked up shit to acquire it.

Or, you could get a follower who's trained in stealth. Aela, Faendal, and Jenassa are all early ones you can acquire easily.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2481 on: February 12, 2012, 12:08:03 PM

I found both potions and scrolls to be kinda weak in Skyrim. Health potions end up doing so very little healing once you've put a couple dozen hours into a character, magicka potions do even less, and fortify potions of significant magnitude are hard and expensive to find. Plus they all weigh a ton.

Scrolls just feel so useless here. A single 50-damage fireball is pretty much nothing for damage beyond the very beginning of the game, and all the Master-level scrolls share the same weaknesses of Master-level spells: they take too damn long to cast.

I miss how scrolls worked in Morrowind: they were ultra-light, every spell effect had a scroll, some scrolls had neat and unique combinations of effects, and you could have a character who used scrolls exclusively as your magical healing and support arsenal. Plus many were very affordable.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2482 on: February 12, 2012, 12:09:52 PM

I'm not "l33t" or anything, but I play on Master now, and find just about everything useful. Even food (vegetable soup and homecooked meals, especially).
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2483 on: February 12, 2012, 12:31:48 PM

Out of curiousity why would you need a mod to disable fast travel,just...don't use it?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2484 on: February 12, 2012, 12:57:39 PM

Yeah I just don't use it, nor the teleportation style horse carriage rides. Fast travel is useful from time to time to "recall" a lost companion though. I don't use the potions/scrolls/food because they aren't necessary for fun play, and they are implemented shittily (no cooldown or whatever, etc...) aaaaand any house rule that does away with having to pause to access the horrid inventory is a plus.

House Rules / UI stuff:

No companion except for non-agression characters or possibly a tough spot
No potions/scrolls/food (they're sell loot)
No out of context teleportation (fast travel, carriageportation)
Get rid of compass and floating quest markers
Crosshairs to transparent
No cheesing around (wait to reset shopkeepers, etc..)
No selling weapons or apparel (gold is too easy)
No purchasing magic stuffs, must find them
No purchasing filled soul gems
No using black soul gems
SkyUI mod
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: