Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 10:04:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 629902 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2100 on: December 09, 2011, 08:38:47 AM

Anyone who doesn't follow at least one combat tree in games like this gets what they deserve.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #2101 on: December 09, 2011, 09:41:55 AM

Anyone who doesn't follow at least one combat tree in games like this gets what they deserve.

Conversely I guess anyone who maxes out a trade skill early on gets what they deserve too.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2102 on: December 09, 2011, 09:55:50 AM

Going the thief route, the sneak tree is essentially your combat tree. My current character is 21st level, no magic at all other than alchemy, and I've spent a total of three perks in one-handed just to get the upgrade on dual weapons. I don't use a companion either.

I kill Dragons with my bow and everything else with 30x backstabs, using duel weild to finish off anything that notices me. Actually provided quite a fun playthrough so far.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #2103 on: December 09, 2011, 09:59:30 AM

Going the thief route, the sneak tree is essentially your combat tree. My current character is 21st level, no magic at all other than alchemy, and I've spent a total of three perks in one-handed just to get the upgrade on dual weapons. I don't use a companion either.

I kill Dragons with my bow and everything else with 30x backstabs, using duel weild to finish off anything that notices me. Actually provided quite a fun playthrough so far.

I'm seriously considering starting over and doing exactly this.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2104 on: December 09, 2011, 10:24:27 AM

I've mainly invested in Sneak and Archery and it's kind of easy mode :O
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2105 on: December 09, 2011, 10:32:03 AM

I like easy mode, sneak and archery were great.  With smith/enchant your bow quickly becomes a one shot killing machine and the idea of actually sneaking up to people for a backstab just seems like a lot of unnecessary walking :) .
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2106 on: December 09, 2011, 10:49:11 AM

Even if you don't one shot them you can fire off like 4-5 shots before they even find you. 
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2107 on: December 09, 2011, 11:41:57 AM

Is it safe to update the game via Steam yet? I have been playing in offline mode for a few weeks, and am spooked by recent reports of buggy patches.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2108 on: December 09, 2011, 11:44:31 AM

I finally let Steam update me yesterday and everything seems fine.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2109 on: December 09, 2011, 11:53:49 AM

Another great thing is once you get your sneak up high enough, you can shoot an arrow off to the side and instead of zeroing in on you, they'll go over and stand staring at where you shot the arrow, which is a great way to get patrollers to stand still for a bit so you can snipe them.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2110 on: December 09, 2011, 12:22:07 PM

How do I get Lydia to equip a shield? She's stubbornly rejecting every shield I have offered her so far...

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2111 on: December 09, 2011, 12:23:18 PM

Take away any two handed weapons you might have given her.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2112 on: December 09, 2011, 12:37:16 PM

Yeah, except for when you kill something and 5 of it's buddies come barreling around the corner.  It's easy mode as long as you're patient, scout out what you're actually facing and can execute effectively.  That said, I've taken to doing more backstabbing just because it's a little more of a challenge (until I get sneak maxed out I guess).

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2113 on: December 09, 2011, 12:56:29 PM

And if you mean she's using her default shield instead, its because her default shield is actually quite decent. She won't override it until you get to Dwarven or Elven I found.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #2114 on: December 09, 2011, 01:08:34 PM

And if you mean she's using her default shield instead, its because her default shield is actually quite decent. She won't override it until you get to Dwarven or Elven I found.

I ended up with the Solitude shield early on. She will use that, but will generally swap to Dwarven if you give her one.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2115 on: December 09, 2011, 01:54:22 PM

Yeah, except for when you kill something and 5 of it's buddies come barreling around the corner.  It's easy mode as long as you're patient, scout out what you're actually facing and can execute effectively.  That said, I've taken to doing more backstabbing just because it's a little more of a challenge (until I get sneak maxed out I guess).

Just getting sneak above 50 makes most backstab kills easy. With 100 sneak you can sleepwalk through stuff.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2116 on: December 09, 2011, 04:35:06 PM

According to Steam I have now played Skyrim 99 hours, the same time I played Fallout:  New Vegas.  I did one play through and 1/4 in FNV.   In Skyrim I haven't finished the game once and still have a long, long way to go.

In short, Skyrim is frickin' huge.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2117 on: December 09, 2011, 04:36:57 PM

I'm in a similar boat but I kind of feel like I have spent way more time dicking around in Skyrim not really doing important stuff. Hopping around from town to town buying out all their leather and stuff like that.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2118 on: December 09, 2011, 08:06:06 PM

Is it safe to update the game via Steam yet? I have been playing in offline mode for a few weeks, and am spooked by recent reports of buggy patches.

Bethesda seems to have stopped shoveling out bullshit patches, now is probably a good time to update.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #2119 on: December 09, 2011, 09:26:14 PM

I am now on 11.11c and patched the game and I _STILL_ occasionally experience texture flickering and random transparencies. Someone please tell me, should I rage at AMD or Bethisda?

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2120 on: December 09, 2011, 09:36:22 PM

Probably your vid card. It may be dying.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2121 on: December 09, 2011, 11:52:08 PM

Blackreach is  shocked

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2122 on: December 10, 2011, 12:08:40 AM

Something fun to do in Blackreach:

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2123 on: December 10, 2011, 12:40:42 AM

I'm STILL getting random CTD. ACK!  Sometimes it takes an hour or two other times it happens every 15-20 mins.  This has been going on since the game came out.  I love Skyrim and its quickly becoming one my all time favourites but the crashes are making not want to play. Heartbreak  Thank God it auto saves frequently.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #2124 on: December 10, 2011, 12:41:48 AM

Probably your vid card. It may be dying.

It isn't dying anywhere but Skyrim.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2125 on: December 10, 2011, 04:49:41 AM

Right, that's the one. She's rejected unimproved elven so far, so I'll try and find something with a higher AC. Cheers.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2126 on: December 10, 2011, 05:13:57 AM

I have her in almost full dwarven and she takes it quickly.  She's quite a tank when properly equipped.

Someone mentioned the blade "Chillrend" earlier.  Get it!  Has a 2sec stun that is deadly.  Currently using it and my Nightingale blade and I'm pwning faces off of dwarven guardians.  Archery and Dual Wield are tons of fun.

Oh and I love, love Dwemer ruins.  Soo much loot.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2127 on: December 10, 2011, 05:15:41 AM

Childrend is great. Pity glass swords look stupid.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2128 on: December 10, 2011, 05:16:33 AM

Right, that's the one. She's rejected unimproved elven so far, so I'll try and find something with a higher AC. Cheers.

I didn't really use her but my whiterun house was where I stored everything because it was easy to get to and imo has the best vendors so I would see her all the time.  I got tired of her wandering around in that ratty looking steel/fur thing so I cranked out a set of legendary double enchanted ebony.  She put it on when I gave it to her but after I told her to leave me the next time I came in the house she was back in that steel fur shit.  Maybe they reset to their original armor if not your active companion.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2129 on: December 10, 2011, 05:20:40 AM

I am now on 11.11c and patched the game and I _STILL_ occasionally experience texture flickering and random transparencies. Someone please tell me, should I rage at AMD or Bethisda?

I stopped buying AMD/ATI cards years ago specifically because of the texture flickering issues that they never seem to be able to figure out.  I would blame ATI since it's a problem that spans years.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2130 on: December 10, 2011, 06:21:40 AM

I didn't really use her but my whiterun house was where I stored everything because it was easy to get to and imo has the best vendors so I would see her all the time.  I got tired of her wandering around in that ratty looking steel/fur thing so I cranked out a set of legendary double enchanted ebony.  She put it on when I gave it to her but after I told her to leave me the next time I came in the house she was back in that steel fur shit.  Maybe they reset to their original armor if not your active companion.

I think that's correct.  I lost Volstagg(sp) and he reset to his inn.  I went there and he had his old armor on.  I hired him and he then re-equipped the dwarven stuff he was wearing when we parted.
lesion

Reply #2131 on: December 10, 2011, 07:54:36 PM

Childrend is great. Pity glass swords look stupid.
Jarl Elisif has a quest that should reward an ebony sword with the same 2 sec stun. Looks better!

steam|a grue \[T]/
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2132 on: December 10, 2011, 08:41:38 PM

I think the level of that reward is dependent on when you do the quest possibly.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2133 on: December 10, 2011, 10:09:44 PM

Flickering textures are an AMD issue. Just swapped out my 6950 for a 570, no flickers anymore. As for crashing, if I run it with the 4gb launcher from skyrimnexus, no crashes at all. Launch through steam, crashes on zoning every 20 mins or so. I've been using AMD pretty happily for the last few generations of cards, but they seem to have gone to shit again recently.

Oh, and best weapon is the Ebony Blade (with the mod to fix it's fucked up handedness) Free Health, and something to do with all the spare companions! Hey, Cicero, come here!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:11:27 PM by rattran »
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #2134 on: December 10, 2011, 11:03:48 PM

I am playing new character and I must say Skyrim melee combat system is LOUSY. When dealing with 2-handed opponents game thinks its OK to execute my character from over half health forcing countless random reloads. Plus, blocking is extremely badly implemented, I cannot for example go into block if I initiated attack, often I can't even move out of the way because it committed me to a swing. Decreasing difficulty makes combat simply boring, but annoyingly does not eliminate random deaths. I over-reacted to this with my last character, so full plate, extra heavy into health, and all +health gear made combat so trivial that I had to re-roll due to boredom.

Are there any mods out there that a) disable NPCs critical strikes b) speed up blocking A LOT ?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 11:11:18 PM by sinij »

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: