Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 02:26:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 629637 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2030 on: December 06, 2011, 12:59:10 PM

Or you could just do that for the shitty console version and not mess with pc gamers who don't have shit gaming platforms.

I mean, when I drop a splitting axe by a woodpile, I want it to be there when I go back.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2031 on: December 06, 2011, 01:01:38 PM

I actually find when I start to see missing textures I don't have to shut down all the way, I can just go back out to the main menu and reload and it is happy again.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2032 on: December 06, 2011, 01:11:49 PM

My pc is not terrible by any means but with 200 saved games the loading/saving screen has really started to shit all over me.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2033 on: December 06, 2011, 01:48:12 PM

So, I've got the level of skill where 'FINISH HIM' Cutscences are happening all over the shop, particularly when I use Mehrunes and I'm LOVING IT.

Then some Cunt comes up to me with a Two Hander and CUTS MY FUCKING HEAD OFF.

Seriously death cut scenes ain't too good when it's your head rolling around the floor.

But seriously, still cool as fuck.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2034 on: December 06, 2011, 01:50:44 PM

Nooo! If you do that, how will I build my giant fort out of potatoes?!

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2035 on: December 06, 2011, 01:52:51 PM

That is the biggest thing missing from playing as an archer, I don't get any cool killcam things.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2036 on: December 06, 2011, 02:07:28 PM

The shitty thing about enemies doing finisher cutscenes is that as long as the attack would do enough damage to kill you in one hit, it locks you into an animation and kills you. Never mind that most of the times it happens you could dodge out of the way or block it. Nope, insta-kill.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2037 on: December 06, 2011, 02:08:39 PM

That is the biggest thing missing from playing as an archer, I don't get any cool killcam things.

Fire enchanted bow.  Little matchstick people running around (or falling over) on fire.   why so serious?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2038 on: December 06, 2011, 02:14:21 PM

Quick Question :

If you enchant the bow, the arrows push the effect out ?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2039 on: December 06, 2011, 02:14:54 PM

Wondering if I accidentally turned off a killcam option or something, as I've been using a fire enchanted bow for a while now and I don't get anything special in that regard. Will check tonight.

Fake edit: yeah I don't think you can enchant arrows at all, you just put the effect on the bow.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #2040 on: December 06, 2011, 02:25:52 PM

Quick Question :

If you enchant the bow, the arrows push the effect out ?
The arrows are non magical, but firing an arrow gives the hit a magic effect. There aren't magic arrows in game, unless you get the Tytanis mod, which among the many things it includes are melting down weapons, items, and jewelry as well as craftable arrows with magic effects.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2041 on: December 06, 2011, 02:51:01 PM

Or you could just do that for the shitty console version and not mess with pc gamers who don't have shit gaming platforms.

I mean, when I drop a splitting axe by a woodpile, I want it to be there when I go back.

That's kinda what my armchair developing would do.  If the PC picks up an item, it becomes persistent for the purpose of saving.  So you pick up and drop the axe, it stays there, but you knock the vase off the trader's table by walking too close, and when you next walk into town it's back in place.

You could also do a similar thing with the stolen flag, NPC ownership, the status of the owner, and the current cell of the item.  If it's not stolen, and has an NPC owner, it should reset.  If it's stolen, and you just leave it laying about in a town/city cell, it should reset or get added to an evidence chest depending on whether the owner is alive - either one would clear some of the data of the item reference from the save.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2042 on: December 06, 2011, 04:42:57 PM

Wondering if I accidentally turned off a killcam option or something, as I've been using a fire enchanted bow for a while now and I don't get anything special in that regard. Will check tonight.

Fake edit: yeah I don't think you can enchant arrows at all, you just put the effect on the bow.

It could be that it only happens on crits.  I'll check tonight but yeah, they go up like a torch.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2043 on: December 06, 2011, 04:48:42 PM

Oh, I see them on fire certainly, but there's none of that close up slow mo camera angle change stuff that people have happen on melee hits.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2044 on: December 06, 2011, 05:29:56 PM

Ironwood: play unarmed a bit. Unarmed crits are the best in the game.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2045 on: December 06, 2011, 05:37:36 PM

The fatality animation seems to happen on the last hostile present, on a hit that's big enough to kill them, sometimes. Otherwise they don't play which makes sense since that way you don't get stuck in the middle of it while being hit by others...

... as opposed to all the "ohai i'm a random NPC that just decided to lock you in listening to my ramble before you can even select the 'fuck off' answer" situations.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2046 on: December 06, 2011, 06:14:19 PM

I get them with people all around me quite often, so I don't think that's true.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2047 on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:36 PM

Is there a right way to hit a flying dragon with something to make it take notice?  I swear the fuckers are laughing at me.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2048 on: December 06, 2011, 06:23:09 PM

Outside of the Shout you get during the MQ, there's no way to force one to land. They're supposed to aggro normally like anything else, but it doesn't work quite right sometimes; it's what patch 1.2 was supposed to fix but ended up breaking worse with the backwards-flying dragons.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2049 on: December 06, 2011, 06:32:54 PM

No, I get that the bugged ones are pretty fucked up.  But I'm having troubles even hitting the not fucked up ones with a bow.  It's like trying to snipe planes with a bazooka even when the fuckers aren't doing a reverse Immelmann.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #2050 on: December 06, 2011, 06:33:37 PM

summon flame atronarch.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2051 on: December 06, 2011, 06:35:20 PM

Delicious atronach: must eat?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2052 on: December 06, 2011, 07:14:20 PM

They won't land unless they have somewhere nice and flat to go, sometimes you have to run around a bit until they find a comfy spot.  They will also happily land on houses.  I find aiming the shout to get them down just as annoying as trying to shoot them with arrows.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2053 on: December 06, 2011, 07:25:14 PM

I assumed they brought it over from VATS/FO3, seems to work the same way.

3 of the last 4 dragons I brought down with dragonrend decided to go land in a nearby giant's camp instead of near me.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #2054 on: December 06, 2011, 09:58:15 PM

Delicious atronach: must eat?

Projectile AI accuracy is much better at long range. Of course, atronarchs can't be commanded, but if you're really desperate to get the dragon down, maybe try equipping a bow on your companion and order them to shoot it down.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2055 on: December 06, 2011, 10:00:09 PM

No, I get that the bugged ones are pretty fucked up.  But I'm having troubles even hitting the not fucked up ones with a bow.  It's like trying to snipe planes with a bazooka even when the fuckers aren't doing a reverse Immelmann.

That's what I'm talking about. There was/is a bug with earlier versions of Skyrim where dragons won't notice you and will ignore you and fly around in circles for a while before fucking off to go do something else, no matter what. That is a bug that 1.2 was supposed to fix; not only did it fail to fix it, but it made it worse through further bugging draggons to do the reverse-flying stuff.

In my still-1.1-version of Skyrim, the only way for me to get the attention of those bugged dragons is to either use that shout from the MQ or noclip up to them and bonk them with something up close.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #2056 on: December 06, 2011, 10:07:54 PM

I assumed they brought it over from VATS/FO3, seems to work the same way.

3 of the last 4 dragons I brought down with dragonrend decided to go land in a nearby giant's camp instead of near me.

Mine did something incredible by unleashing flaming breath on the mob train that I was ignoring while on horse back. A necromancer, his 2 skeleton buddies, three wolves, and four forsworns. I was quite polite by letting it finish dinner before killing it.  awesome, for real

A friend of mine commented that he was stealthed and saw 3 mudcrabs took out a camp of 3 bandits on their own. Hilarious. One mud crab fell that day, but his fury will be carried on by his two comrades who prevailed over the three bandits.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #2057 on: December 07, 2011, 02:01:42 AM

It seems painfully obvious that the game shipped with fairly significant memory leaks as well as save game bloat, seeing as how the game destabilizes and the shader/texture loader shits the bed after extended play sessions but immediately gets better if you save, exit, and then re-launch the game.
This seems more related to how many times I alt-tab in and out of a skyrim game, and it still takes a few hours between each time I "had" to restart it. The CTD's don't seem to have been because the game hits the 2GB mark either, so I don't know, but we can at least agree that there is at least room for improvement.

A hard cap on items of similar type is likely to have unintended consequences.  A better solution is to flag them in such a way as their data is culled from the save early (I.E. test if the player is in the same cell while saving, if he isn't, remove the items from the save), and then attach a script that disables the flag should the player happen to pick the item up.
On consoles, sure. They're much more limited in resources after all, but I've roamed around most of skyrim by now and dropped items here and there, and loading and saving is still quick as all hell for me. Leave the PC alone.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2058 on: December 07, 2011, 05:04:19 AM

A friend of mine commented that he was stealthed and saw 3 mudcrabs took out a camp of 3 bandits on their own. Hilarious. One mud crab fell that day, but his fury will be carried on by his two comrades who prevailed over the three bandits.
Mudcrabs are crazy. Saw one meet three of the drunk guys from one of these random encounters on a road once. It killed two of them with single claw sweep each, before i managed to dismount from the horse ACK!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2059 on: December 07, 2011, 06:17:59 AM

The fatality animation seems to happen on the last hostile present, on a hit that's big enough to kill them, sometimes. Otherwise they don't play which makes sense since that way you don't get stuck in the middle of it while being hit by others...

... as opposed to all the "ohai i'm a random NPC that just decided to lock you in listening to my ramble before you can even select the 'fuck off' answer" situations.

Nah, I've had them while surrounded;  and they proc a lot with Mehrunes.  I think it's the daggers way of saying 'I did that'.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #2060 on: December 07, 2011, 07:18:28 AM

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2061 on: December 07, 2011, 07:42:29 AM

Nah, I've had them while surrounded;  and they proc a lot with Mehrunes.  I think it's the daggers way of saying 'I did that'.
Hmm i don't think i have a single of them when not killing the last red dot present, and that's after playing to l.27 and frequently repeating the fights just to get the slow-mo kill to end each encounter. Maybe it's the 2-hander thing. Or i should try playing a lottery.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2062 on: December 07, 2011, 08:41:54 AM

Level 32 and my best of intentions run at Triumph of the Nords has ended up with my "hero" being a cannibal. I blame lycanthropy, the gateway drug to evil.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:43:32 AM by sigil »
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #2063 on: December 07, 2011, 08:48:07 AM

I'm now roughly lv 28 and have yet to find a Dwemer ruin. I assume that they're in that huge chunk of unexplored area towards Riften, because I almost obsessively veer off towards any points of interest I see while travelling overland.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2064 on: December 07, 2011, 08:51:09 AM

If you see any point of interest with this icon: it's a Dwemer ruin. They're usually in the mountains south of Winterhold and to the west of Riften.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: