Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 10:45:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 626641 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1330 on: November 18, 2011, 08:50:08 AM

The only good bandit is a dead bandit.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1331 on: November 18, 2011, 08:52:53 AM

So, I'm level 17 and seem to be mostly done with Whiterun, I have been exploring the world a little and trying to avoid the main quest but I'm not clear which city I'm supposed to go to next, there don't seem to be any obvious "Go see this Jarl" type breadcrumbs.

I went to Riften and joined the thieves guild

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1332 on: November 18, 2011, 08:55:18 AM

Have you discovered the horse carts outside the stable of each city? For like 20 gold you can get them to take you to any town whether you've been there already or not.  It cuts way down on the long walks.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1333 on: November 18, 2011, 08:56:01 AM

Those were technically sellswords on business, so it was a bit of professional courtesy. Felt bad after cutting them down and decided to reload and play nice.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1334 on: November 18, 2011, 09:00:27 AM

Have you discovered the horse carts outside the stable of each city? For like 20 gold you can get them to take you to any town whether you've been there already or not.  It cuts way down on the long walks.

I did not know that  awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1335 on: November 18, 2011, 09:02:30 AM

Is it just me or are the horses awfully slow?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1336 on: November 18, 2011, 09:07:36 AM

They seem to move okay with the sprint button pressed, to me. That said the description on loading screen does mention they're known to be pretty slow but sturdy.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1337 on: November 18, 2011, 09:09:25 AM

I should probably figure out which button sprints at some point.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1338 on: November 18, 2011, 09:11:14 AM

On PC it's Alt by default.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1339 on: November 18, 2011, 10:37:23 AM

Heavy armor restricts mana regen quite a bit, so as a spell sword you'll be mostly sword. And with spells having to be wielded, 1h+spell works better. I did 1h+ward a few times when fighting casters, but overall, roll forward and smash them in the face with a shield works better for me. And going all archery is rough, as there's far too much 'Dialogue, then the guy attacks' and monster closets to always be in good bow range. Next playthrough I'm planning on trying an all mage go, though I suspect some fights will be brutal early on.

Has anyone had the Disarm shout actually work? I've tried it on all kinds of baddies, from Dragon Priests to lowly Bandits, never worked once.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1340 on: November 18, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

As a 1h spellsword, I ended up using mostly a fiery mace (for maximum backstab damage) and soul trap in my left hand. I used the 2 handed firebolt on dragons and weaker minions and a lot of double-fisting the basic healing spell while standing behind pillars. I never felt like using a shield was all that useful.

Now that I have full dragon armor and daedric mace, I pretty much ignore spellcasting; there's really no need for it anymore.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:55:08 AM by bhodi »
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1341 on: November 18, 2011, 11:10:18 AM

Bow damage seems pretty weak compared to dual 1h in my experience.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1342 on: November 18, 2011, 11:25:15 AM

My thief archer walks like a god amongst men. I seriously re-rolled mage because I was tired of steamrolling content with triple damage sneak attacking bows. Add onto that the higher end archery perks? Ridiculousness.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1343 on: November 18, 2011, 11:25:47 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Like most, I am loving this game - just seems to scratch that itch.  It's amazing how I can't get anything done due to sheer amount of distractions/quests/locations.  I am playing a dual-wielding, light amour, thief with no magic use at all.  I have used the shouts when fighting a dragon though.

It is tough battle against the UI - especially in regards to dual wielding and switching to the bow. It doesn't seem to be consistent.  The overall quest information is completely lacking as well.  It gets very confusing which quest is which as they build up quickly.

Anyone know why some skills show up as a green font in the skill tree constellations? Haven't figured that out yet.

Saw some fantastic screenshots posted here - http://deadendthrills.com/
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1344 on: November 18, 2011, 11:43:46 AM

Green font = an item or buff is improving that skill right now. It's showing the modified value, I believe.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1345 on: November 18, 2011, 11:44:16 AM

Yes, it shows the current value and the green means that it's under some buff.

Also, I know it doesn't scale brilliantly like Dual Swords or Archery, but free stunning dual cast Fireballs are rad... as long as you set your followers to essential.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1346 on: November 18, 2011, 11:45:27 AM

My thief archer walks like a god amongst men. I seriously re-rolled mage because I was tired of steamrolling content with triple damage sneak attacking bows. Add onto that the higher end archery perks? Ridiculousness.
I don't know, I'm mainly archery and there are some enemies that just don't seem to take much damage from it.  I plink them three times with little effect, then they are on me so I switch to my 1h mace and that takes them down quite fast.  My mace and bow are of equal level.

Not all enemies, seems to mostly be the armored humanoid lieutenants and such.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1347 on: November 18, 2011, 11:48:15 AM

Yes, it shows the current value and the green means that it's under some buff.

Also, I know it doesn't scale brilliantly like Dual Swords or Archery, but free stunning dual cast Fireballs are rad... as long as you set your followers to essential.
Essential?  What does that mean, is there some way to control their tactics I don't know about?  Actually I guess I haven't used a real companion yet, just that guy for the capital c Companions during the quest to join them.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1348 on: November 18, 2011, 11:49:56 AM

I had a nasty surprise last night:

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1349 on: November 18, 2011, 12:02:23 PM

I don't know, I'm mainly archery and there are some enemies that just don't seem to take much damage from it.  I plink them three times with little effect, then they are on me so I switch to my 1h mace and that takes them down quite fast.  My mace and bow are of equal level.

Not all enemies, seems to mostly be the armored humanoid lieutenants and such.

Getting one, even two sneak attacks help a lot but once you get the 50% stagger chance it's a real game changer.  Also make sure to use good arrows, the dmg seems like a small upgrade but it means a LOT

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: November 18, 2011, 12:32:31 PM

I had a nasty surprise last night:

The nastier surprise is pulling them both at the same time!

Essential?  What does that mean, is there some way to control their tactics I don't know about?  Actually I guess I haven't used a real companion yet, just that guy for the capital c Companions during the quest to join them.

Followers are susceptible to friendly fire, it's pretty much the only way they can die permanently in fact as enemies tend to ignore them once they're almost out of health.  setessential is a console command you can use that makes it so they can't be killed, only knocked down, like quest NPCs.

For non-casters you can control their behavior a little bit by either removing their ranged or melee weapons.  (Forcing them to go ranged is easy, but going melee requires some fiddling with the console, the fifth post here explains the procedure.  This is the same procedure to swap between robes.)

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1351 on: November 18, 2011, 01:01:34 PM

Regarding the Companions (story spoilers)...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:18:08 PM by Zetor »

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1352 on: November 18, 2011, 01:07:58 PM

Damnit, I just had to click on that.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1353 on: November 18, 2011, 01:08:40 PM

Anyone buy this off Impulse/Gamespot?  I have like, 85 bucks worth of store credit I want to spend and I'm thinking I will spend it on this but do I actually have to use impulse or will they just give me a code that I can then put into Steam?  It says on the details page that it's security system is Steamworks.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1354 on: November 18, 2011, 01:10:48 PM

Anyone buy this off Impulse/Gamespot?  I have like, 85 bucks worth of store credit I want to spend and I'm thinking I will spend it on this but do I actually have to use impulse or will they just give me a code that I can then put into Steam?  It says on the details page that it's security system is Steamworks.

They should just give you a code.  You might have to install the Impulse client to get that code, but that's all you'll need from them.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1355 on: November 18, 2011, 01:45:03 PM

I should probably figure out which button sprints at some point.

if it's that confusing, then clearly the console version is easier to use. it's just the left button (above the trigger).

as for the favorites menu, i don't even bother mapping things out. it's always changing according to the situation. i just flip out the menu in the same way one might bring up the radial menu in dragon age. it pauses the game and i can execute a power for whatever situation at hand.

it probably helps that i'm not a mage, and don't bother with even a few mage abilities. the menu is mostly for shouts.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1356 on: November 18, 2011, 02:10:18 PM

Regarding Whiterun:

About the font mod I mentioned in a previous post, it has been updated:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=95

There is a new version of Centurion, and the dev also added 4 more fonts. I'm trying "Fertigo Pro Font" and it's actually pretty good, IMO (and no visual problems with it so far).

Update on patch 1.2 :
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1278698-update-on-the-skyrim-12-patch/

Wanted to let everyone know that the next PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 updates have been submitted for certification, and that the PC patch is coming too. The current estimate is that they will be live the week after Thanksgiving.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:14:11 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1357 on: November 18, 2011, 02:31:53 PM

Something changed in my settings where the y axis mouse movement is much slower than the x axis.  Anyone know of a fix?  I can deal with jank UI, but I can't deal with 'mudmouse'. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1358 on: November 18, 2011, 02:51:05 PM

if it's that confusing, then clearly the console version is easier to use. it's just the left button (above the trigger).
Which button on the console version makes capital letters?

Ohhhhh, I see.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1359 on: November 18, 2011, 02:52:00 PM

Something changed in my settings where the y axis mouse movement is much slower than the x axis.  Anyone know of a fix?

I haven't tried this, but I've seen it in a few places:

At the end of your Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Skyrim.ini file, add:
[Controls]
fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0200
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0200

You may have to tweak the numbers until you discover what works for you.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1360 on: November 18, 2011, 03:18:52 PM

That did it, thanks very much!
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1361 on: November 18, 2011, 03:26:39 PM

Oh man I think I broke the game. A random dragon attacked while the college of magic chick was giving me the tour, and now she won't continue it, or talk to me. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1362 on: November 18, 2011, 03:39:02 PM

Suddenly...lots o CTDs  Ohhhhh, I see.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1363 on: November 18, 2011, 03:47:36 PM

Oh man I think I broke the game. A random dragon attacked while the college of magic chick was giving me the tour, and now she won't continue it, or talk to me. 

Yeah, gotta reload a save game for that, or use the console to advance the quest if you're on the PC.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1364 on: November 18, 2011, 04:35:20 PM

Suddenly...lots o CTDs  Ohhhhh, I see.
Hrm, did you change anything? Try the RAM fix? How many save files do you have?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: