Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:59:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 626675 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1260 on: November 17, 2011, 03:34:05 PM

According to the wiki if you are pure mage you can craft a suit that makes destruction free to cast.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1261 on: November 17, 2011, 03:36:40 PM

According to the wiki if you are pure mage you can craft a suit that makes destruction free to cast.

You can, and it's not terribly hard to do. In fact, it's pretty much necessary if you want to keep using Destruction as a primary means of damage past level 25 or so. You just need to get 100 Enchanting and spend, what, 8 perks in the central line of Enchanting to do it.

I just didn't have 100 Enchanting yet, and wanted the MQ done.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1262 on: November 17, 2011, 04:03:08 PM

Hrm? I'm pretty sure it varies with some things having a soft cap on leveling. Wasn't it explained in this thread?
Yes it's not like oblivion but you still don't want to just go around crafting your way up to level 15 before doing other stuff.   Stuff still scales but it has limits on how easy/hard it can be.   At the very least the dragons would destroy you because they do level with you.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for me so far, almost everything I've skilled is non-combat and I'm around 20. The companion characters can handle a lot of heavy lifting, for everything they can't you can often just chug potions or kite with arrows.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1263 on: November 17, 2011, 05:15:56 PM

Question. If I fight a dragon is it totally random or does it mean there is possibly a nest nearby with one of the shouts in it? I fought a dragon that was circling a small mountain that was to the east of Markath or whatever that far Western city with the forsworn is.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1264 on: November 17, 2011, 05:49:03 PM

Underwhelmed by the UI. It's...annoying as fuck. I cannot muster the desire to play this game until there's a mod that fixes this. Everything is so annoying to accomplish. Even leveling up for the first time, scrolling through all the skills. Checking what perk does what...it's completely asinine. Even a 360 pad user should rage at this. There should be a button to just let me select which skill tree I want to see. Not page by page flipping this bullshit QA approved. Fuck you Bethesda. Leaving it to modders again to fix your $60.00 game.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1265 on: November 17, 2011, 06:18:34 PM

UI is seriously annoying, and the combat is not amazing, but once you get used to it the fun of the game shows through. Nothing like backstabbing a troll for a bit of fun.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1266 on: November 17, 2011, 06:55:14 PM

Are we playing the same game? The UI just seems mostly like typical fare for a RPG (or FPS RPG). The level up menu (the constellations) is different, but nothing to QQ about. I mean.. seriously? It's that bad? lol

I'm not trying to sound like an apologist, but it doesn't make that much sense to me. If this game was Two Worlds, then I could understand the complaints.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1267 on: November 17, 2011, 07:04:58 PM

Yes, the ui is horrible. I mean, I can't even escape out of menus.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1268 on: November 17, 2011, 07:14:39 PM

I'd have to play it on the PC to understand.. although rk47 says an xbox user should be bitching too.. so I'm confused.

If it's just the lvl up menu, I've seen more clumsy ones. I guess they're trying to give it some style, in the way Final Fantasy lvl up screens are. It could be better, but I don't think it's that bad either.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1269 on: November 17, 2011, 08:50:17 PM

It's pretty god-awful. I cannot think of a worse RPG interface off the top of my head, not in recent years. Maybe Risen was that bad, I've blocked that game out.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1270 on: November 17, 2011, 10:46:24 PM

There seem to be placed dragons, and random ones flying about. And you get breadcrumbed to the shouts, I keep getting sent to ones I've already explored and found.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1271 on: November 17, 2011, 11:01:01 PM

I'd have to play it on the PC to understand.. although rk47 says an xbox user should be bitching too.. so I'm confused.

A blog on Gamasutra gave a run down of the PC issues.

Not playing the game, so can't say anything from a first person perspective.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1272 on: November 17, 2011, 11:03:52 PM

Not being able to improve my skyforge dagger is annoying.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1273 on: November 17, 2011, 11:13:03 PM

Why can't the Skyforge dagger be improved? The Skyforge Steel War Axes I got could be improved without a problem. (I also enchanted them with a Lifeleech and renamed them, I feel quite badass now that I realized you can attack with both axes at once and wreck everything in your path).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1274 on: November 17, 2011, 11:47:43 PM

Yeah, I think I'll be dual wielding on this reroll.

Another thing I don't want to do is kick out the Jarl of Whiterun. Or his dark elf. They're pretty cool. Joining the Stormcloaks made me feel like a bastard and supporter of racists. If I can still keep it real as a Nord though, that'd be nice.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1275 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:14 AM

I'm aiming for neutral as well. Neither side gave me any reason to despise them enough to act against them yet.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1276 on: November 18, 2011, 12:14:28 AM

Not a hard choice for me. I can never buy 'there is a kind race' in TES universe. Everyone is an asshole. And playing anything but a Nord makes the early gameplay seem like a mismatch.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1277 on: November 18, 2011, 12:41:27 AM

Yeah, I think I'll be dual wielding on this reroll.

Another thing I don't want to do is kick out the Jarl of Whiterun. Or his dark elf. They're pretty cool. Joining the Stormcloaks made me feel like a bastard and supporter of racists. If I can still keep it real as a Nord though, that'd be nice.

Spoiler tags, learn to use them.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1278 on: November 18, 2011, 12:44:16 AM

Sorry about that.

Hopefully we've convinced everyone to play already though.  why so serious?

edit:

Not a hard choice for me. I can never buy 'there is a kind race' in TES universe. Everyone is an asshole. And playing anything but a Nord makes the early gameplay seem like a mismatch.

It's not that I need anyone to be nice. It's just that...

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:47:09 AM by stray »
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1279 on: November 18, 2011, 01:02:37 AM

Well, the Imperials

So they are not the good ones either. Also - Imperials. Haven't those jokers imprisoned me in every single Elder Scrolls game I played up to date? Yes, I think they have.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1280 on: November 18, 2011, 01:18:42 AM

No..they don't want to imprison you in this one...they want to EXECUTE you within 3 minutes of the game.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1281 on: November 18, 2011, 01:28:19 AM

No..they don't want to imprison you in this one...they want to EXECUTE you within 3 minutes of the game.

To be fair, I was thinking of stealing their wallets.

I'm going to play a nasty, mean-spirited Dark Elf who's only looking out for herself.  She will probably do the sneaky bow and arrow thing and shoot sleeping people in the face, just to see how their kids react.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1282 on: November 18, 2011, 01:31:37 AM

Well of course they do.  They've learned from the previous games that if they fuck about, you'll come back 3 days later with a Godhood of skills and weapons and armor, having saved the kingdom.

Fuck, the next game will probably start, have a noise of someone hitting you on the back of the head and then a black, bloody screen that says 'Game Over.'  Call it either the Imperials Learning or the Ned Stark Simulator.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1283 on: November 18, 2011, 01:34:47 AM

Got the game. My PS3 is broken since Monday and I am waiting for the replacement in the mail today or tomorrow, so no Dark Souls called for an emergency purchase.

And while I am sure I'll get sucked in at some point, the very underwhelming melee combat (considering it's 2011) and the WORST UI in the history of CRPGs made me regret the purchase so far.

I'll bear with it, but I can't stop whining to friends about the UI while repeating like a drone "what were they thinking?". Seriously, what were they thinking?
So yeah, got it 3 days ago, put less than an hour in it. But the openness, the dialogues and the characters only make me want to play more Fallout 3.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1284 on: November 18, 2011, 01:42:02 AM

I've sided with the Stormcloaks in my game as an orc, but I did so knowing that once I helped to cast off the yoke of imperial oppression I would assassinate Ulfric and ring in a new age of orcish dominance in Skyrim, liberating my brothers and sisters from their mountain-homes on the outskirts of the province.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1285 on: November 18, 2011, 01:49:58 AM

Maybe I'd be best waiting for a UI mod ?  Seems this one's just picking up more and more grief for it.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1286 on: November 18, 2011, 01:55:14 AM

Strange. I found the UI annoying and awkward at first but now that I'm used to it I'm not really having any trouble.  Others seem to find it more irritating as time goes by.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1287 on: November 18, 2011, 01:55:57 AM

Maybe I'd be best waiting for a UI mod ?  Seems this one's just picking up more and more grief for it.

All I can say is that, while I am sure the game is enjoyable the way it is now, once you get your stomach set on "uggh", the UI takes a lot away from the game. With a better one, or a nice mod, it will be the game it deserves to be. I think that waiting will give everyone a much more enjoyable Skyrim.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1288 on: November 18, 2011, 01:56:35 AM

A blog on Gamasutra gave a run down of the PC issues.

Not playing the game, so can't say anything from a first person perspective.

From the Article "If Bethesda think that this product is fit to sell, then Bethesda are clearly not fit to receive a single penny from me in the future."

Seriously, it's like he's not played ANY of the Elder Scrolls stuff.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1289 on: November 18, 2011, 02:46:53 AM

Great..the "game company will not receive a penny in the future" routine. Go whine to the Better Business Bureau while you're at it.

Gamer's get a lot of bad stereotypes (mostly of the geeky variety), but personally, I think whining is the worst characteristic of the typical gamer.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1290 on: November 18, 2011, 02:56:05 AM

You may know this but the tab button functions pretty much as you'd expect the escape button to function once you are in a menu.
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1291 on: November 18, 2011, 03:05:30 AM

There is a small group of folks who hate the game because of the UI, and a much larger group who are dealing with it and very much enjoying the game itself. Decide for yourself which group you are likely to be in. It's a great game, as others have been saying.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1292 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:42 AM

He seems to want to be in the third, possibly even smaller, group:  Wait (for the first patch, for Christmas as an excuse to buy, for mods, for the wikis to get filled out with info, etc.).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1293 on: November 18, 2011, 03:15:54 AM

Yeah, that's the thing :  Patching and Modding will almost certainly make it much better, so why take the chance on souring myself like Falconeer clearly has ?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1294 on: November 18, 2011, 03:25:59 AM

You may know this but the tab button functions pretty much as you'd expect the escape button to function once you are in a menu.

Oh, I know. But a lifetime of habit is hard to break.

Still find the game awesome so far, though.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: