Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 10:17:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 626638 times)
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1190 on: November 17, 2011, 03:16:18 AM

It's very XBMC (well, Confluence really).  I don't like parts of it but the basic ideas, more detail on the lists and miscellaneous info up top (which is rarely covered up with list items), are solid.

Also, a MTUI-like redo of the dialogue interface would be Heart.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: November 17, 2011, 03:16:52 AM

God damn that mockup looks good.  I hope the UI is that modable this time around.   I hear the stun perk after the dual cast perk is damn nice.   The dual cast itself is well worth it after you have enough -destruction casting cost stuff.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1192 on: November 17, 2011, 03:20:52 AM

Edit: And for any pure mages out there who are thinking of or already have grabbed the Dual Casting perk for Destruction, don't bother. I just discovered it's a 10% damage increase for 40% extra magicka cost. It is just not worth it unless you have the perk that lets your dual casted Destro spells stagger an enemy; even then, if you are fighting something that's so tough and has so much HP that you need the stagger to keep it away from you, you're going to run out of magicka before you kill the thing anyway due to the extra costs outstripping the damage bonus.

I actually find the stagger useful. I find my cloth mage can get one-shotted by some melee attacks, but if I keep the enemy staggered I can kill them in maybe four casts of a dual fireball and they never get close enough to fight back.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1193 on: November 17, 2011, 03:24:38 AM

Dropped 200+ charges of plus 7 damage on Lydia's Orc Bow with only a common soul gem.

You can do that??  Yahoo!

I'm so dumb. I thought you meant you were adding +7 damage each time so it did +1400 damage.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: November 17, 2011, 03:38:51 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get into this game.  I think the UI is at least 50% of the problem.  I also had this same problem with Oblivion.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1195 on: November 17, 2011, 04:04:25 AM

pretty neat mod to replace the main font. Reduced that out-of-place futuristic feel the default has.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1196 on: November 17, 2011, 04:44:48 AM

Edit: And for any pure mages out there who are thinking of or already have grabbed the Dual Casting perk for Destruction, don't bother. I just discovered it's a 10% damage increase for 40% extra magicka cost. It is just not worth it unless you have the perk that lets your dual casted Destro spells stagger an enemy; even then, if you are fighting something that's so tough and has so much HP that you need the stagger to keep it away from you, you're going to run out of magicka before you kill the thing anyway due to the extra costs outstripping the damage bonus.

I actually find the stagger useful. I find my cloth mage can get one-shotted by some melee attacks, but if I keep the enemy staggered I can kill them in maybe four casts of a dual fireball and they never get close enough to fight back.

I think that depends on your level. At 29, a lot of the enemies I'm running across now (like more powerful Draugr, some Falmer, Dwemer enemies, some really strong mages, etc.) hve so much HP (or are immune to the stagger) that trying to do that is folly.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1197 on: November 17, 2011, 05:03:48 AM

The SO started playing and I can't pry her off the computer.  Heartbreak 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: November 17, 2011, 05:10:55 AM

Which is why you should have two.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1199 on: November 17, 2011, 05:11:11 AM

This is what happens when you let them vote.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: November 17, 2011, 05:21:01 AM

Which is why you should have two.

Yeah, just be sure never to let them meet.

What?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1201 on: November 17, 2011, 05:53:09 AM

Facepalm

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1202 on: November 17, 2011, 05:54:32 AM

Impact is actually broken once you get significant enough (or total) reduction in Destruction mana costs.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: November 17, 2011, 06:01:30 AM

I've seen one or two people mention star signs. I didn't get to choose one when I made my character, are they adding them through the console or something?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1204 on: November 17, 2011, 06:02:05 AM

Impact is actually broken once you get significant enough (or total) reduction in Destruction mana costs.

Broken in a good way or a bad way? This news about Dual Casting and Impact breaks my wee heart, as Dual Casting seems to be a cornerstone of my character and I was aiming to get Impact soon. To hear that it blows goats and I might as well just have frost in one hand and flames in the other changes things a lot.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #1205 on: November 17, 2011, 06:08:56 AM

I've seen one or two people mention star signs. I didn't get to choose one when I made my character, are they adding them through the console or something?

In Oblivion you chose star signs on creation, but in Skyrim it is just done through activating a stone in the game world. You can change stones at any time just by clicking on a different one.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1206 on: November 17, 2011, 06:15:38 AM

Anyone else had problems that after killing and looting a dragon, and no soul pops? I'm wondering if it's weapon related, as I'm using the Dragonblade from  Kills them like there's no tomorrow, but about half the time I get no Soul out of it. Bug, or 'feature'?

Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #1207 on: November 17, 2011, 06:26:41 AM

Anyone else had problems that after killing and looting a dragon, and no soul pops? I'm wondering if it's weapon related, as I'm using the Dragonblade from  Kills them like there's no tomorrow, but about half the time I get no Soul out of it. Bug, or 'feature'?

A bug I think.

It has only happened once to me - reloaded a quick-save, tried again, and got the soul fine. I've taken to quick-saving with F5 at the start of every major fight now.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1208 on: November 17, 2011, 06:28:31 AM

First retail figures:

- 7M copies (all platforms) delivered
- More than 50% of launch units sold in the first 48 hours
- Launch units expected to generate more than $450M globally

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15417

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1209 on: November 17, 2011, 06:59:50 AM

Dropped 200+ charges of plus 7 damage on Lydia's Orc Bow with only a common soul gem.

You can do that??  Yahoo!

I'm so dumb. I thought you meant you were adding +7 damage each time so it did +1400 damage.
I wondered why you seemed so excited by +7 damage...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1210 on: November 17, 2011, 07:02:10 AM

Sounds like a bug, I guess the skeletel dragons don't have souls though.

Is there a good crafting use for the very heavy dragon bones and scales?  I'm just hoarding them for now but would like to get rid of them unless I need them to make the enchanted foozle of awesomeness.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: November 17, 2011, 07:09:19 AM

I'd imagine they're used to craft dragonbone armour. At least that's why I'm hoarding them at the moment.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1212 on: November 17, 2011, 07:10:02 AM

A triad of UI Mods to increase immersion/difficulty:

1. Remove stealth indicator:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=279

2. No more location markers on compass:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=391

3. No enemies on compass
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=285

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: November 17, 2011, 07:15:11 AM

Is there a good crafting use for the very heavy dragon bones and scales?  I'm just hoarding them for now but would like to get rid of them unless I need them to make the enchanted foozle of awesomeness.
They are the components for the best crafted armor in the game. Dragonscale (light) just uses the scales, while Dragonplate (heavy) uses a bit of both.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1214 on: November 17, 2011, 07:24:34 AM

From some other forums, it seems like dragons respawn (which in the lore of the game would be.. stupid) in their region. You get a soul for the first kill of a spawned dragon but only loot after that.

No real confirmation, just people reporting that this happened on their second kill of a dragon in around the same location.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1215 on: November 17, 2011, 07:31:58 AM

A triad of UI Mods to increase immersion/difficulty:

1. Remove stealth indicator:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=279

2. No more location markers on compass:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=391

3. No enemies on compass
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=285

I straight out removed the compass from the UI in the .ini .  I like it a lot more now; can't see where enemies are at and if I need to orient myself I can always hit the map in the menu. 
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1216 on: November 17, 2011, 07:45:48 AM

Is there a good crafting use for the very heavy dragon bones and scales?  I'm just hoarding them for now but would like to get rid of them unless I need them to make the enchanted foozle of awesomeness.
They are the components for the best crafted armor in the game. Dragonscale (light) just uses the scales, while Dragonplate (heavy) uses a bit of both.
Dragonscale is the best light armor in the game, but Daedric remains the best heavy armor.

This presents a bit of a problem with the Smithing tree; one would imagine with the layout that going up the left-hand side of the tree gets you set up for light armor (with the weird exception of the Advanced Armors tier, which gets you a heavy set as well for some reason), while the right-hand side is for heavy, and you'd be right...

...until you realize that the top two tiers of crafted weapons can only be crafted by going up the right-hand side of the tree, and unlike going up the tree on one side lets you choose the topmost perk, it doesn't work the other way around, where you can go back down the other side of the tree.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1217 on: November 17, 2011, 08:00:54 AM

Wait, what ?  Is there a powerpoint show to go with that post ?

ACK!

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1218 on: November 17, 2011, 08:10:09 AM

Wait, what ?  Is there a powerpoint show to go with that post ?

ACK!
Koro's post?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1219 on: November 17, 2011, 08:14:31 AM

Yeah.  It sounded fiendishly complicated for some reason !

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1220 on: November 17, 2011, 08:17:38 AM

It isn't really, the issue is mostly that because they arranged the perks in the shape of constellations in the interface, things that your brain would have no trouble accepting in a traditional interface suddenly look like they should be possible but aren't. It's a form over function problem with the interface.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1221 on: November 17, 2011, 08:32:27 AM

Dragonscale is the best light armor in the game, but Daedric remains the best heavy armor.

This presents a bit of a problem with the Smithing tree; one would imagine with the layout that going up the left-hand side of the tree gets you set up for light armor (with the weird exception of the Advanced Armors tier, which gets you a heavy set as well for some reason), while the right-hand side is for heavy, and you'd be right...

...until you realize that the top two tiers of crafted weapons can only be crafted by going up the right-hand side of the tree, and unlike going up the tree on one side lets you choose the topmost perk, it doesn't work the other way around, where you can go back down the other side of the tree.
Bleh, really? That's fucking dumb. I figured now that I have the dragonarmor perk, I could pick up the top one on the heavy side to make my weapons. Might look into modding myself into that perk via console command, just because I'm not spending 4 perks because the UI is dumb.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1222 on: November 17, 2011, 08:36:27 AM

I want to do all the crafting but don't have enough perks so I will have to specialize.  Is it possible to get above 100 skill with an enchant or if you are already at 100 one-hand, for example, would an enchant increasing one-hand be wasted?  And it seems like poisons are still only good for a single hit right?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1223 on: November 17, 2011, 08:36:42 AM

The constellation skill tree looked awesome in demo, but it really isn't very functional.

If I had web skills I would build a character generator.  I suspect one with an easy interface will come in handy.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1224 on: November 17, 2011, 08:38:00 AM

Sounds like what he's saying is that there are multiple paths to the top of the talent tree, but if you choose the wrong path, once you're at the top you can't come back down on a different path and must start again from the bottom in order to get to the armor-making perk which is somewhere in the middle.

It's probably too early for any of the wikis to have full listings of all the talent/skill trees complete with full descriptions of what they do.  And the interface is so convoluted that I'm not sure if anyone will bother going through it repeatedly to get all the info.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: