Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:31:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 624063 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #70 on: December 20, 2010, 01:13:11 PM

I loved Arena, and loved Daggerfall more, but they were both buggy pieces of shit at launch, and Daggerfall at least for months afterward. Didn't stop me playing them, but buggy as all get out.

Morrowind was better, but there were still broken parts, not just the faces. And 'no cliff racers' was the first mod I installed for it.

Daggerfall: where becoming a werewolf was actually full of win!

I have never played WoW.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 20, 2010, 11:29:13 PM

Morrowind was better, but there were still broken parts, not just the faces. And 'no cliff racers' was the first mod I installed for it.

Oblivion in action is like watching a zombie shuffle along: totally surreal.  Morrowind is watching that same zombie shuffling along then jump with all his might, clear all of half a foot, fall back towards earth, stop short of it, and glide forward while suspended above the ground for three metres before finally landing and continuing his shuffle.  Yet it's still more fondly remembered.  You have to fuck up badly for that kind of result.
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: December 21, 2010, 11:00:25 PM

Oblivion in action is like watching a zombie shuffle along: totally surreal.  Morrowind is watching that same zombie shuffling along then jump with all his might, clear all of half a foot, fall back towards earth, stop short of it, and glide forward while suspended above the ground for three metres before finally landing and continuing his shuffle.  Yet it's still more fondly remembered.  You have to fuck up badly for that kind of result.

Hey man, Morrowind blew my little mind the first time I played it.  I would get a House Redoran tattoo if I wasn't such a pansy.

It does look very, very bad now though.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 22, 2010, 02:31:58 AM

Morrowind blew almost everyone's mind, and it had nothing to do with the game mechanics, because they almost all universally sucked.  It was just a really cool world to fuck around in.  Oblivion isn't, and it strikes you in an uncanny valley way that shit is not as it should be, whereas Morrowind just plain backhands you with the weird and tells to to man up, bitch.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #74 on: December 22, 2010, 07:37:40 AM

Morrowind blew almost everyone's mind, and it had nothing to do with the game mechanics, because they almost all universally sucked.  It was just a really cool world to fuck around in.  Oblivion isn't, and it strikes you in an uncanny valley way that shit is not as it should be, whereas Morrowind just plain backhands you with the weird and tells to to man up, bitch.

I found riding around on giant whale-bugs completely hilarious.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #75 on: December 22, 2010, 08:24:09 AM

Morrowind blew almost everyone's mind
I think it's really age-dependent. Arena blew my mind, Ultima 4 blew my mind, Morrowind was just a prettier Daggerfall with worse gameplay. Never finished it or Oblivion.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 22, 2010, 08:35:21 AM

I enjoyed them all.  Maybe it's because I'm a massive explorer-type though.  As long as the story doesn't get in my way, I'm happy.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #77 on: December 22, 2010, 08:40:18 AM

I have tried to play Oblivion twice, and both times my interest just totally petered out soon after I escape and start walking around the first city. I think I once went riding out of the city and found a hidden dungeon, got lost in it and never went back to the game.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #78 on: December 22, 2010, 11:30:19 AM

I played it for just long enough to note 3 things:

- leveling system was pants on head retarded
- combat was click mouse swing sword, with no promise of any greater depth later on
- game was the single ugliest rpg I had ever played (for its era)

I logged maybe 4ish hours total. My mind was not even a little blown. I could have gotten past the 2nd two issues, if it weren't for the first one, ugh. I managed to 'finish' Oblivion, since the leveling was a slightly smaller pair of pants on head retarded in that one, and they fixed some of the ugly.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: December 22, 2010, 12:53:08 PM

I'd be interested in seeing how this game will deviate from the basic formula established by previous Elder Scroll and current Fallout games.

I seriously, seriously doubt it will. Skyrim's announcement, to me, is like a new season of a favorite television series being announced. It'll look better, have slightly refined techniques, but will be the same formula and mechanics that have made the series what it is, with all new content to consume. This is where I see video games as an industry right now.

If they start getting creative, then they'll be doing what Squaresoft has been doing with Final Fantasy: experimenting with a specific configuration of a genre rather than refining it. *This introduces failure into a sure thing,* and why we get what we get.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #80 on: December 22, 2010, 02:01:47 PM

I don't want them to get creative with this one. I want them to make it bigger. The games are getting smaller and smaller from Daggerfall > Morrowind > Oblivion. I'd like to see them reverse that trend with this title and give me a huge world to wander around in for a long period of time, exploring new crap.

WayAbvPar

Reply #81 on: December 22, 2010, 04:23:38 PM

I don't want them to get creative with this one. I want them to make it bigger. The games are getting smaller and smaller from Daggerfall > Morrowind > Oblivion. I'd like to see them reverse that trend with this title and give me a huge world to wander around in for a long period of time, exploring new crap.

That would work for me. Fix the character leveling (and the related "encounters level with the player" crap), give me a giant world to explore, and let me loose. Here's my $60.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 22, 2010, 08:54:07 PM

Screw what they did in Oblivion.  Drop me off the prison boat in Skyrim and drop the hint to talk to some guy about Draugr leaping out of the sea and eating fucking faces and I'm happy.  Because unstoppable gluttonous sea zombies that eat those who were their kin in life are fucking awesome, and dragons are fucking lame.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 22, 2010, 08:58:18 PM

Existing in a world like you want would be great if the content was being continually generated. The flaw to your play style is that, eventually, you run out of areas to explore / content to experience.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: December 22, 2010, 10:53:17 PM

Then you buy the next game. If the world was large enough, you got enough entertainment out of it for your money.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 23, 2010, 06:09:46 AM

Considering I got two solid months out of any of the Bethesda games, along with numerous later flirtations, I'd say I do get my money's worth.  Especially compared to other play styles that burn through them in under a week then never touch it again.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 23, 2010, 08:35:24 AM

This really bit Gothic in the ass, ended up with Piranha Bytes losing the franchise. To be fair, Gothic started out as a smaller, more hand-crafted world, so returning to their specialty with Risen really worked. So I guess by extending that logic to Bethsoft, going to a more randomized giant world would be a good move for them.

Of course...they do have to contend with being a console game, now  Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #87 on: December 23, 2010, 08:37:46 AM

To be fair, what bit Gothic in the ass was that their games would not function, and combat was infuriating on a level not seen since 1996.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 23, 2010, 08:59:15 AM

To be fair, what bit Gothic in the ass was that their games would not function, and combat was infuriating on a level not seen since 1996.
I'd disagree, and so would enough fans to keep the franchise going through 5 full releases :p They know they're niche and many developers could take a lesson from them about knowing your audience and not over-reaching your grasp.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #89 on: December 23, 2010, 10:59:29 AM

I'd love to hear you explain to me how Gothic 3 was functional and not combat ass, but that's not for this thread.

I will say that the strength of the Elder Scrolls franchise has always been exploration, so I hope they don't strive for something else.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 23, 2010, 11:01:33 AM

Yes, the Elder Scrolls definitely satisfies the "To Explore" need of gamers. It barely addresses the other three.

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 23, 2010, 11:19:22 AM

Judging from Oblivion speech mini game...if they're going for SPECIAL once more, at least it'll be replaced with a Speech check.
But looking back at Oblivion 'Be the guildmaster of all guilds' typical design, expect more shallow experience in a big world with wasted potential. Bethesda is just not that creative in the writing dept.

Even Fallout 3 with its fun gameplay had nothing to offer in terms of main quest writing except for killing giant orcs with slo-mo attacks.

Oblivion? My name is Patrick Stewart, you're the chosen one, I've seen you in my dreams, even though you're in the jail for a crime I cannot even recall,  I trust you, here's a really special necklace, save the kingdom from satan, please.

The difference being between the two being:  I actually finished fallout 3 and new vegas, but couldn't be arsed with oblivion after hitting my 3rd oblivion gate.
Same, I did recently get bored and finished morrowind.

This time I just picked up a dedra diakatana and went around raping shit.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #92 on: December 23, 2010, 11:27:02 AM

Yes, the Elder Scrolls definitely satisfies the "To Explore" need of gamers. It barely addresses the other three.

It tries to hit on some of the achiever shit with all the guildmaster titles, but that's not the main flow. There's certainly no social or killer.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 23, 2010, 12:09:42 PM

Achiever needs something that matters. XBox Live Achievements are as close as you can get. That's the power of them; their ability on a meta scale to satisfy. In-game achievements are given more meaning when attached to Live Achievements... to an Achiever.

But, yes, not really the point of Elder Scrolls.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #94 on: January 08, 2011, 09:32:11 AM

Kotaku has a post from Game Informer mag right now.  Sounds like Skyrim is going to use a classless system and you earn skill points by how much you use them in the game.  Level is then tied to skills, so learning a lot of low level skills keeps your overall level low, yet leveling one or two skills very fast raises your overall level fast. 

Mob scaling is more Fallout3 than Oblivion. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: January 08, 2011, 10:21:43 AM

I have tried to play Oblivion twice, and both times my interest just totally petered out soon after I escape and start walking around the first city. I think I once went riding out of the city and found a hidden dungeon, got lost in it and never went back to the game.

To be fair though, Oblivion is pretty cool until you escape.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: January 08, 2011, 10:22:46 AM

Honestly, not really in the case of Oblivion, because the thing about exploring, is that you have to find something.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: January 08, 2011, 12:08:45 PM

Playing Risen reminded me how I dislike mob scaling. Creeping into a new dungeon, peeking around corners and seeing some earth-pounding Ashbeast or creepy ghoul and then running before they see you. Or the first encounter, trying to get away or just watching the thing one-shot you in a bloody haze.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: January 08, 2011, 12:41:33 PM

The way Oblivion handled mob scaling was the #1 reason I never made it more than 10 hours into the game.  There needs to be insurmountable odds in some instances - things I just can't beat.  Otherwise it just feels like CandyLand.

The #2 reason was how character levels were based around skillups; I found myself trying to game the leveling system too much and that turned me off, too.  I hope they get some of these things fixed.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: January 08, 2011, 12:57:58 PM

There are mods for Oblivion correcting both of those problems.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: January 08, 2011, 01:07:55 PM

I like the skill ups advancement, but there was something about it that was messed up in Oblivion, where you'd hurt your stats by levelling up, was it monster level scaling by character level, so if you picked too many locks without skilling up combat skills, you'd be facing advanced monsters without the skills to fight them? Iirc, then that was still a scaling issue and not advancement.

Anyway, I like mods like FFH2, that create a fresh new game with the old one's engine. Oblivion you need mods just to fix what the hacks at bethsoft fucked up. LIke, a lot of mods. That's indicative of a bad game.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: January 08, 2011, 01:38:14 PM

It was because it didn't matter what skill you leveled, it contributed to mob scaling.  Maybe you wanted to do a little basket weaving, or you happened to be wearing a different category of armor than you normally would... skill raises and then so do mobs.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: January 08, 2011, 02:26:48 PM

There are mods for Oblivion correcting both of those problems.

Yep, but for whatever reason every time I attempted to use mods on Oblivion it made the game unplayable.  I spent well more than twice the amount of time playing Oblivion than I did trying to get it to run the way I wanted.  In the end, it was just easier to not play it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: January 08, 2011, 06:17:15 PM

I have to admit, I found the Shivering isles expansion a far more engaging place to wander around in and play in than oblivion itself. I mean, yeah you wound up trapped there according to the lore but hell you became a Prince, and it was a really well designed place to mess about in.

If I ever reinstal oblivion I'll probably go straight to the shivering isles and toss the keys to the rest of the world into an oblivion gate on the way.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: January 08, 2011, 06:18:36 PM

In the unmodded game leveling too many non-combat skills won't fuck your game unless you get absolutely "I'm level ten and haven't gotten a single skill up that will aid me in combat, or used any of my non-combat abilities to acquire better equipment" retarded about it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: