Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - ** f13 League, Season #2 ** (Over! We have a winner!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Bowl - ** f13 League, Season #2 ** (Over! We have a winner!)  (Read 135096 times)
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #490 on: December 23, 2010, 06:21:07 AM

All new teams.

I was thinking of doing a parallel "Master League" with carryover teams, maybe less obsessed forum coverage, no prizes, and more flexible schedules. We'll see if there's any interest in that. But I won't allow anyone in the "Master League" unless they have a team in the regular Season #3 anyway, to prevent people from choosing the less important one (Master) over the main one (Season 3) and  hurting it.

Why wipe the slate? Let people who want to keep their teams play them, and anyone who wants to re-roll a fresh squad can as well. What's the problem? The scheduling so far has been fine, the forum coverage has been fine and the participation has been fine. The prize is a nice added bonus which I don't think we necessarily need to have, but apart from that I think this league has been very good. And if you split the whole deal into two leagues, knowing the adhd nature of these forums, it will probably do more harm then good.

I see your points Megrim, and honestly nothing is good like keeping your team. But let's face it... how fair it is for new participants to face older, more experienced teams? Inducements don't even start filling the gap and while it sounds OK now that you will eventually lose with stronger older teams but then eventually you'll be better in Season #4, in practice it can be really frustrating to have these matches where you only have to limit our losses cause you are playing vs. a more experienced Player AND Team. That would, to me, very easily thwart new entrants enthusiasm pretty quick, and would still feel kind of unfair to anyone who is just guilty of not participating in the earlier season. Finally, IainC and Modern Angel had a horrible Season #2, but would have been the same if they played with their Season #1 teams? As the rule for S#2 was "all new teams", same should be for S#3 I think.

That said, I'm basically an anarchist who hates hierarchies, so we'll vote on the topic among all the participants, ok?

We can still keep the older teams, as I said, for a parallel "XP League" for all those who are interested, so they wouldn't be lost anyway.

Yeeeea... actually Inducements cover this very well. As in: "I play in a 50+player league which uses this system and Inducements cover the difference between established teams and new teams very well". Take this as coming from someone who's played at 900+ tv down against Bashy teams, and done just fine. If you (or other people) are so deathly afraid of having to face someone a few hundred tv up, run a mini-tourney for newbie teams before the main one, so that people can get a bit of xp under their belts, then mix everyone together. Furthermore, you have to remember that some teams are designed to peak earlier then other ones. It's not a matter of "if I'm not at xyz tv vs a particular team, I can't win". Dwarf v Amazon at any tv is going to be deliriously hard for the 'zons, while a 100tv Undead team with Inducements vs a 150 Norse is
actually almost in favour of the UD.

I'm arguing this, because I see what you are saying, and practical experience is telling me that it doesn't work that way. It's not fun for a new team to face a well developed one? Doesn't that depend on whom you ask? What about the legendary victories pulled off, in massive underdog vs overdog matches (hell, for example the Straz v Com one. I don't think many people were honestly expecting Comstar to win that. And yet he did.) As far as a few people having bad runs? Er, so? It could have happened to anyone else, or it could have been no-one, or it could have been everyone bar like one person. It's a dice-based game, of course someone is going to get screwed.

Having said this though, ultimately I don't care as long as you don't continuously restart the league (because that's just stupid) - so you'll probably be doing the right thing by asking for everyone's opinion.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: December 23, 2010, 07:10:12 AM

Arn't there rules on making really high value teams cost a lot of money to run? Meaning you end up spending all your gains on keeping your top players and having to dump others because you can't afford a 3000-all-star-all-skilled team?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #492 on: December 23, 2010, 07:19:26 AM

Yes Comstar, spiraling expenses.

And I see your points even better, Megrim. I just would be sad if new Players decided not to participate because of the TV difference. Or just miss the fun and leave the League after a few catastrophic losses. We need and want new players.

Anyway, it's up for votes. I'll bow down to the majority's decision.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: December 23, 2010, 07:21:04 AM

Yes. And there should absolutely be some sort of cap. I'm at the doctor currently so I'm pulling a random number out of my ass but 2k max value or something at the start of the season. You could obviously go over during the course of a season but no starting higher than the arbitrary cap.

Wanted to add that I agree with the no two leagues thing. The rapidity works well here with what we have going. I'd be very disappointed if it ends up new teams only (very) but I'd be way more disappointed if the enthusiasm gets diluted over two leagues. I mean, if we did with a new team league and a legacy league I'd absolutely be more excited about the legacy games. If the prize is the issue, since it's real money, scrap it; it's awesome that you did it but I honestly wasn't even aware of it until this past week. I just love BB.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: December 23, 2010, 07:30:20 AM

The prize is absolutely not the issue. The prize is a silly thing, but I like that the winner gets a symbolic representation of the win. I think the best prize ever would be a related forum grief title, but that's just me.

And just to be clear, I do NOT want to leave my Feminist team. I was just looking for the healthier solution for the League and ensure the widest participation possible

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: December 23, 2010, 07:40:55 AM

I don't think, in actual play, it's going to be too bad. You assume that with new players and, say, a quarter of the old owners making new teams there's plenty of new blood fighting each other. As Megrim said, inducements can and do matter with team makeup mattering more than anything else. Certainly, there's a tipping point where a super high value team versus a low team will matter but I don't think we're in any danger of hitting that in any season with a smart cap. I'd also point out that TV doesn't automatically mean good record even in our league with all new teams.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: December 23, 2010, 07:58:49 AM

I think it would be best to have everyone start fresh.  Yes, inducements work well and all that, but things get a little weird with having to worry about wizards and all that jazz.  For simplicity's sake, and for the sake of drawing in and keeping new players, all new teams would work better here.  The more coaches, the better.

I really dig my necro team, even though I hadn't played them before the first match (painful lesson learned, try out your team before playing in league with them).  I'd love to keep playing them, but I definitely think new teams would work out best.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: December 23, 2010, 08:35:55 AM

My vote is for continuing teams, though I myself will probably start a new team and regret my vote when I run into a 1500 team.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

But I like the star players and wizards and crap and that means they'll actually show up.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #498 on: December 23, 2010, 09:33:55 AM

I'd like to carry over my team, but I actually like the idea of doing it for a season 4.  Get new teams for everybody in season 3, along with lots of new people.  I think by the time season 4 rolls around, most people who were interested in playing will have played in 1 of the 2 seasons, and we wont have many new volunteers.  So then everybody picks one team they want, and we make season 4 the XP season.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: December 23, 2010, 09:53:30 AM

I think that's a reasonable compromise solution here. I'd like to suggest the following:

1) New teams for season three.
2) Carryover in future seasons
3) Cap of TV 2000 for the beginning of a season (1750 may be better; discuss). Nobody with the cap or higher at the start gets in and will have to float a new team. Going over the cap during the season isn't a problem
4) Figure out a good spiralling costs sum
5) People are free to retire a team at the beginning of any future season in favor of a new one.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: December 23, 2010, 10:07:01 AM

Steam has Blood Bowl Legendary on sale RIGHT NOW for 50% off, 19.99 USD.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: December 23, 2010, 10:26:03 AM

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: December 23, 2010, 10:44:24 AM

3) Cap of TV 2000 for the beginning of a season (1750 may be better; discuss). Nobody with the cap or higher at the start gets in and will have to float a new team. Going over the cap during the season isn't a problem
5) People are free to retire a team at the beginning of any future season in favor of a new one.

I like this idea. Set the cap at 1750, I think most players end up having 2-4 skills each at that level?

Buy this game now folks, it's my multiplayer game of the year (not including MMO of the year, which is Eve Online- Goonswarm Federation edition only).

In final game news, it may be run later tonight Christmas Eve, otherwise it may not happen till Sunday Night or even next week. It should defiantly occur before New Years. Maybe have the next season start 1st of the Year?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:50:51 AM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: December 23, 2010, 01:13:34 PM

I think that's a reasonable compromise solution here. I'd like to suggest the following:

One problem with the third point is that you also have to remember that different teams scale differently. Some can sit at reasonably low to medium tvs and play just fine, while others want (or can't help but) climb higher. Off the top of my head, Chaos and Dark Elves respectively. DE just skyrockets in tv after a time because their players are expensive and don't start at all skilled in the bread and butter stuff. Chaos on the other hand, doesn't even begin to be relevant until about 150, and wants to be over 2k just because that's when they finally start being able to play, say, "as good as" an equilevel Ork team.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: December 23, 2010, 02:11:07 PM

Not sure it's feasible within the game/League creation mechanisms, but what about two Divisions (not sure of the North American name) with relegations and promotions. All old teams will be in Division 1. All new teams will be in Division 2. The regular season will determine promotions and relegations (first two of Div 2 advances to Div 1, last two of Div 1 go down in Div 2), but the first 4 teams of each division will play in the Playoffs against each other.

This way, newer teams from Div 2 will have enough time to get better before playing the most powerful S#2 Div 1 Teams, and the whole relegations/promotions mechanism seems cooler than a bland, unspecific Group A / Group B gimmick. Sure, chances are by the time the season hits the playoffs the older teams will be even more powerful, but the gap would be smaller, the new coaches will be more experienced and the chance for epic upsets will be even more awesome.

What do you all think?

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: December 23, 2010, 02:25:13 PM

On team value cap, there's not much way to work it other than a hard cap if you put a cap in at all. I'll note that it's a very common mechanic to use in real life leagues and Cyanide uses it in their big virtual leagues, as well. If Chaos doesn't roll until higher TV... tough. It's fairly implicit in the game that it's not the most balanced thing in the world. I think that's a good argument for bumping a prospective cap to 2000 instead of 1750, though.

On the two divisions, relegation, etc. not a fan. It sounds good on paper but it's a flawed argument. The argument is that new teams/players start off at too large a disadvantage to compete. If the top two teams of the "new team" division get playoff spots while the third and fourth of the "old team" division do not that's hardly fair due to the presumption (which I don't agree with) that new teams are automatically free wins for old teams.

I'd propose one of two things, instead, if keeping things balanced is a priority.

1) Organize by TV but make it a mixture. So it would go:

Division A

Highest TV
Third Highest TV
Fifth Highest TV
etc

Division B

Second Highest TV
Fourth Highest TV
Sixth Highest TV
etc

2) Do the same organization but do it by the prior season's final standings rather than TV. In case of a tie or new team alphabetical. I prefer the second because it accounts for good coaching in theory and you would have the prior season's division winners split evenly. Should prove a better setup than the theoretical situation where the highest TV is 1990 while second highest is 1400.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #506 on: December 23, 2010, 03:32:57 PM

Down for whatever. I just wish you could change how OT works so that it works like an actual OT.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #507 on: December 23, 2010, 03:44:53 PM

Down for whatever just to make Falconeer's job more difficult  why so serious?

Since you're not bitter Straz... Any tips on playing Com?  awesome, for real
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #508 on: December 23, 2010, 03:55:01 PM

1) Win the coin flip
2) Punch his Amazons in the face
3) Win

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #509 on: December 23, 2010, 04:47:54 PM

Non-League question - can anyone point me to a support email for the original edition of Blood Bowl? Limited (3?) Activations + it being installed on both my machine and my wife's + my wife's machine and then my one dying = I'm fucked, since I can't rescind them. The Cyanide page tells me to fuck off to the game site, and the game site is a fucking mess with no support to be seen...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: December 23, 2010, 04:54:17 PM

I had the same problem Azazel. Identical.
I wrote a very pissed off email to support@bloodbowl-game.com and they fixed it in less than 24 hours. But that was more than 1 year ago, before even Dark Elves edition came out. It shouldn't make a difference... unless they want to corner you into buying the Legendary Edition.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #511 on: December 23, 2010, 05:29:35 PM

Thanks for that, Falc. The goodwill for fixing it up is much more likely to get me to buy the Legendary edition than the badwill for not doing so, though, so I'd hope they are helpful. I'd guess it won't be 24 hours though, considering the specific timeframe we're in right now, but first week of Jan would be acceptable under the circumstances.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: December 23, 2010, 10:50:52 PM

On team value cap, there's not much way to work it other than a hard cap if you put a cap in at all. I'll note that it's a very common mechanic to use in real life leagues and Cyanide uses it in their big virtual leagues, as well. If Chaos doesn't roll until higher TV... tough. It's fairly implicit in the game that it's not the most balanced thing in the world. I think that's a good argument for bumping a prospective cap to 2000 instead of 1750, though.

On the two divisions, relegation, etc. not a fan. It sounds good on paper but it's a flawed argument. The argument is that new teams/players start off at too large a disadvantage to compete. If the top two teams of the "new team" division get playoff spots while the third and fourth of the "old team" division do not that's hardly fair due to the presumption (which I don't agree with) that new teams are automatically free wins for old teams.

I'd propose one of two things, instead, if keeping things balanced is a priority.

1) Organize by TV but make it a mixture. So it would go:

Division A

Highest TV
Third Highest TV
Fifth Highest TV
etc

Division B

Second Highest TV
Fourth Highest TV
Sixth Highest TV
etc

2) Do the same organization but do it by the prior season's final standings rather than TV. In case of a tie or new team alphabetical. I prefer the second because it accounts for good coaching in theory and you would have the prior season's division winners split evenly. Should prove a better setup than the theoretical situation where the highest TV is 1990 while second highest is 1400.

Team value is not a rating scale for teams. It is one of the ways in which team growth is reflected. Team value is not a balancing scale for teams. It is one of the ways in which team growth is reflected.

You are making up a whole bunch of completely unnecessary house-rules for no reason. Why would you cap at a specific tv rating? Spiraling expenses already hammer people who go past 200, and unless they can win consistently (and big) they will have to cut players on their own, just to keep something in the bank. As far as shuffling divisions around based on who is valued what? That's just retarded.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: December 23, 2010, 11:33:58 PM

I disagree that Spiraling Expenses and Inducements are enough to guarantee everyone's fun. I am more than ready to accept any decision a fair amount of us can agree on, but I think it's important that we come up with more ideas and possibilities before just choosing between "simplistic solution #1" or "simplistic solution #2". They might end up being the best ones, but there's nothing wrong or retarded in brainstorming a bit about it.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #514 on: December 24, 2010, 12:05:53 AM

Don't mind playing against carryover teams personally.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #515 on: December 24, 2010, 12:13:24 AM

I liked Falconeer's original proposal of a kind of legacy league in which teams from the various seasons could be imported and live on while retaining the relative purity of the current setup in a resetting seasonal league.  I like it for many reasons, but above all I prefer it because it simply allows me to play more Blood Bowl.  Seriously, if I am given the option of playing in one awesome league or two awesome leagues I'll choose two awesome leagues every day of the week.

I'll play regardless though. 

No matter what is decided, however, I suggest we reset the teams for Season 3 simply because this was never discussed, and thus no one was given the ability to plan accordingly during this season.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #516 on: December 24, 2010, 02:51:25 AM

Great match went into overtime, definitely still lots to learn about blood bowl :D

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 02:55:19 AM by Llyse »
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: December 24, 2010, 02:53:03 AM

And the winner, season 2 of the F13 League is.

drumroll please
F13 CATFIGHTERS! The Amazons WIN!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: December 24, 2010, 03:01:16 AM

Congrats!

More to follow.

In the meantime, here's the replay for everyone to watch!

>>SuperBlowl I - Comstar's F13 Catfighters vs. Llyse's Alive Not Dead (download Replay link)<<

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: December 24, 2010, 04:17:53 AM

Before the match started, one of the Amazon Assistant Coaches was fired for failing to provide rerolls. This also meant the Girls were able to afford another keg of Bugman's finest, along with some extra team training before the big match.

The Necromantic team Alive not Dead was defiantly the favourites - over 200 points ahead and with 13 players facing only 10 plus a merc. The previous game had ended in a draw, so this was a grudge match.

The Undead team won the toss and choose to kick off, which was fine by me. I knew I needed a touchdown quickly before half my team would end up off the field in the injury box (which was prophetic!). AnD set up in a defensive formation, with strong players on  both flanks, and a weak centre.

The game starts with a Riot and the ref puts the clock ahead 1 turn!

The Amazons pick up the ball and knock down the front rank zombies. With a Strong flank on either side, I decide to wait and form up a small loose box in the middies of the pitch to see what develops. AnD starts off powerfully by injuring one of the lineswomen in their very first block. Teams are now 13 to 10 and its not even the end of the first turn! However, with no obvious attack route, the AnD team plays defensively and moves one of the star werewolves into reserve.

The Amazons start to push into the middle, but then one of their blitzers trips over from an attempted dodge, leaving the ball carrier still next too a huge hulking flesh Golum! Unfortunately, his block only results in a pushback on the more agile Amazon.  A blitz by a werewolf only results in more pushbacks - note I made a mistake by choosing to go backwards and not away from an extra assist. A ghoul then shows why men can't dodge and stuns himself.

The ball gets handed off to a Amazon blitzer who makes a long run with 2 GFI's towards the end zone, and only 1 or two of the faster undead close enough to stop her, as they are either still on the flanks or in the Amazon's half. One of ones that can reach here is a werewolf on the right flank, so he gets pushed into a sidezone. it's only 3 squares to a touchdown in turn 3!

The AnD team sends up one werewolf to get a tackle, but needs to move the other one into a tacklezone first before it can dodge out. It fails. Should have moved a Wright instead, or tried a 1 dice block with the Werewolf. The Amazons get a 2nd girl up to the end and stuns the werewolf, and moves to the corner of the field, to help run out time before going for the TD. Most of the fast nerco players are on the wrong side of the field now. A Wright punches his way closer, but then falls over in the first GFI.

TOUCHDOWN in turn  6 to the Amazons 1-0.

The kick goes to a quicksnap, which is the best option for the AnD team to get a 3 turn touchdown. A werewolf punches a hole in the outnumbered Amazon team and is placed for a catch position for the ghoul ball carrier placed in a cage...but the werewolf is himself isolated and gets knocked down. However, the rest of the Amazons aren't in a position to do much except try and slow the undead down. with ghoul moves into a loose cage (and the 2nd ghoul is seemingly forgotten about at the far end of the pitch).

The Amazons move into position to stop the potential catches, and then a single blitzer makes 3 dodge rolls and a 1 dice block to knock down the ghoul ball carrier! The ball bounces between 5 people before it ends on the ground in the middle of a scrum. the nerco's then spend more time hitting people rather than going for the ball...before a ghoul runs uip, grabs the ball..and falls over on a GFI before he can make a difficult pass.  1st half is over, Amazons leader 1-0.

The 2nd half opens with several Amazons ending up face down on the pitch and one KO'ed, and another foul causing the star +1 St blitzer to be badly hurt! I should have used my apoc on her, but I thought it was the merc.

A werewolf is isolated again in the Amazons half and gets knocked down, but otherwise they fall back to form a defensible position. I need to play some space for time and try and hold them off till I see a advantage to take. The necors take a strong position in the centre of the pitch, but then get a zombie sent off for rough play! A failed Amazon dodge causes the necro team to advance their cage 2 squares.  

Another Amazon (the merc ironically) gets fouled but this one gets saved by the apoc.  I cant do much more than get a single tackle on the ball carrier and reform the defence line.  Another Amazon blitzer is KO'd but the ball only moved forward one square. At this rate the necros wont reach the TD zone till 4 turns too late.

However, the cage has broken up, and a Amazon makes 3 dodges in  tacklezones to get a 1 dice block on the ghoul ball carrier! Unfortunately, even with a reroll, it only ends in a push back. The ball carrier moves forward yet another 2 squares and now nothing could stand in his way...

Except yet ANOTHER Amazon stands up, dodges out of a tacklezone, and this time the ghoul goes down along with the attacker! A werewolf grabs the ball and is only 2 squares from a TD!

The zombie dirty player tried a foul and is sent off, but now there's only 2 girls in front of the werwolf ball carrier and a TD! One of them stands up, dodges out of 2 zones, and gets a push back.

Using sidestep, the Amazon catches throws herself into a blocking position face down on the ground, and the necros move a flesh goloum..now blocking the way to a easy TD for the werewolf with the ball!

But the werewolf dodges out himself, and gets a hand off to a ghoul in the end zone- the score 1-1 in turn 16 so the games going into overtime!

Its 7 girls vs 11 necros. and things go bad for the girls when the thrower stuns herself on a GFI! A werewolf punches a hole and a ghoul goes for an easy pickup....which he fails!

A catcher runs out and runs as far as she can towards the end zone...but that only 3 squares away from the necros and 10 squares away from the touchdown zone line!

Fortune facors the brave. The nerco's surround the Amazon ball carrier on 3 sides, and a  werewolf changes up....and because the catcher has sidestep, PUSHES HER CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE END ZONE FOR A TD! if the werewolf hadn't frenzied, the TD would have been impossible. She dodges out easily and scores a Touch Down! The score is 2-1!

AnD have 2 turns to make the score level. A ghoul picks up the ball and 3 nrcros are placed to get a TD if thown the ball, but all pof them are isolated from each other.

The desperate Amazon defenders fall back to hold them off, but one brave girl gets up and knocks over the ball carrier after the inevitable dodge rolls!

However, the nexro team still numbered the grls 2-1 and grabs the ball...runs down to the unmarked Blitzer...and fails to hand off the ball. The Amazons pick up he ball and dance around the pitch, for a 2-1 victory!

Star of the match for me is my Catches - the sidestep really won the game for me. For the necro's the werewolves did everything, and came close to winning the game single-handed.

Lessons on how to win blood bowl, from he season winner:
- Buy more team rerolls. 3 is not enough. 4 is ok if you get the leader skill.
- EYES ON THE BALL. You should ALWAYS be aiming for the ball. If you can grab it, do it. If you need to hit someone, get a 2D block, or a 1D block, or even just a tacklezone on him. Make the other team do something to get away. Always put pressure on the ball. If you need to pick up the ball, move someone to cover it, and pick it up before doing anything else.
- Move the zero risk players first, then the low risk ones who can go for the ball, then ones who can do stuff, then the high risk ones.
- Don't do blocks first if they don't matter to who ends up with the ball.
- Don't get cocky - that Troll might roll 3 dice skulls, or that +2 hand off with a reroll can fail. And a GFI with a reroll ALWAYS fails when you need it.
- Try and keep 1 player as a reserve to handle disasters or opportunities.
- Dodge away if you can, to force less blocks.
- if its crazy and it works, its not crazy. Just do other less crazy things first.
- There is always a way!
- The easy way is not easy if you ran out of rerolls.
- Nuffle is a bitch.

See you next Season!

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: December 24, 2010, 05:52:35 AM

Team value is not a rating scale for teams. It is one of the ways in which team growth is reflected. Team value is not a balancing scale for teams. It is one of the ways in which team growth is reflected.

You are making up a whole bunch of completely unnecessary house-rules for no reason. Why would you cap at a specific tv rating? Spiraling expenses already hammer people who go past 200, and unless they can win consistently (and big) they will have to cut players on their own, just to keep something in the bank. As far as shuffling divisions around based on who is valued what? That's just retarded.

I understand all that about TV. I'm in agreement with you that it's not a big deal. Other people aren't. I'm trying to come up with some sort of compromise solution to assuage people's fears that their new team is going to be fodder for the fattened old teams and you'd better start to do the same or it's new teams each year. I really, really don't want that to happen. A cap is a common solution to the exact issue we're facing.

I offered the value shuffle up as an on the fly thing in my head. Sorry it's retarded. Is the shuffling of divisions based on prior season record retarded too or does this meet your approval? It's good enough for the NFL who base their scheduling of games during the season on a variant of that system (obviously they don't shuffle divisions).
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: December 24, 2010, 06:01:52 AM

I just got back from work, I am sitting down with some real popcorn and a soda, and I am about to watch the Replay of the very first f13 SuperBloowl.

I love this game.  Heart

CONGRATS COMSTAR!

EDIT: Comstar let me know what prize(s) you want from the Steam catalogue. You are free to get whatever you want up to a total of 20 USD. Sadly, there are no real gift certificates there so I just have to buy the game(s) for you as a "Gift", but it will work out awesomely for you considering the fantastic offers of these last few days. Mind, they will be publicly announced. If you get Deluxe Adventures in Pornland 2, the board will know.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 06:09:51 AM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: December 24, 2010, 07:24:37 AM

Also, Comstar got 180k in game money as a first prize, and Llyse 70k if I am not mistaken.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #523 on: December 24, 2010, 07:28:46 AM

You need to keep teams, that is the best part about BB and Leagues.

I don't want to suggest specific ideas for what to do with a mix of old and new teams because I'm not sure what is possible and what isn't.  Depending on how many teams we get of new and how many old coaches want to continue with their team (I'd imagine most? Maybe not the dark elves?) we can figure something out.

Ideally I'd like to see a 2 division world football promotion relegation setup or just an American we don't give a shit about fair setup where you take the top teams from old, split them into 2-4 divisions and add new teams to fill those out.

However I think what options we have for playoff setups will be a large determining factor and I've never manged a league so I dunno what you can or can't do.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: December 24, 2010, 07:31:20 AM

Keep teams.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - ** f13 League, Season #2 ** (Over! We have a winner!)  
Jump to: