Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 12:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Super Newbie 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Super Newbie  (Read 59183 times)
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 11:19:31 AM

Ok -- This was my main 'fighter' type account.   How would this guy do?   If I did activate him again what would be the best plan for him to work on?

Train Battlecruisers III and get in a Drake - good for PvP (not as good as the Raven at PvE but its cheaper).

Train EW and fly a Blackbird in PvP.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 12:28:00 PM

Start training minmatar ASAP for PVP, he's got a pretty solid skillset for it.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 04:21:55 PM

I love my hurricane, and hug my hurricane, and call it Dirty Sanchez.

I love mine too, but it's not reimburseable

/cry, Hurricane's are just so much fun to fly. So which T1 BC's are re-imbursable? Guessing Drake is one of them / it.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 04:43:22 PM

Drakes, harbingers and hurricanes are all reimbursable.  Not sure why Numtini thinks they're not.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 01:11:16 AM

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/EFT:_Reimbursement_Hurricane

Not sure if T2 guns would be required, but they sure do make a difference to the feel of the ship, and it allows you to hit easily from 10k to 100k.

Just don't do the mistake I did, and stick quake ammo in the guns while travelling with the fleet. Jesus H Christables that was annoying.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 01:12:05 AM

Bat Country have an unusually high proportion of pro hurricane pilots, and on smaller gang roams have a tendency to top a lot of killmails as a result.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 19, 2010, 06:57:19 AM

Drakes, harbingers and hurricanes are all reimbursable.  Not sure why Numtini thinks they're not

Have they dropped the "contingent" reimbursement policy? Last I heard nothing was reimburseable unless it was on the reimbursement list for the specific op and hurricanes almost never were. There was a thread somewhere that explained they generally got enough on ops to do antisupport without reimbursing.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 07:01:41 AM

Bat Country have an unusually high proportion of pro hurricane pilots, and on smaller gang roams have a tendency to top a lot of killmails as a result.
Having 3 sensor boosters with scan res scripts doesn't have any part in that, nosirree. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 12:24:00 PM

Alright, I got my old EVE account back and re-upped it for a month to check my old Gallente, and here's where he's at:

As you can see, it's a bit of a mess. Right now, I'm pretty conflicted: do I spend the time necessary to fix this guy up, or do I just strip him of his assets and keep trucking with my more-focused Minmatar newbie I made yesterday?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #44 on: August 19, 2010, 12:57:16 PM

As you can see, it's a bit of a mess. Right now, I'm pretty conflicted: do I spend the time necessary to fix this guy up, or do I just strip him of his assets and keep trucking with my more-focused Minmatar newbie I made yesterday?

Team Minmatar all the way.

But then, what do I know.  awesome, for real
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 19, 2010, 01:34:46 PM

I'd keep it, you can probably plan out what you want to do in EveMon and reset your attributes if you've been away for awhile anyway,

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 01:55:33 PM

Yeah, only problem is I only have a single Neural Remap available, so I have to be kinda careful how I use it.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #47 on: August 20, 2010, 06:58:26 PM

Morf is a poser - I am the sewper newbie. I just ran through the first tutorial and the first set of 10 military. Now I am training (offline and about to be sleeping...which I love) Frig III. Oh yeah, and I have no fucking clue what I am doing in terms of training and learning and buying training and what to plan on buying in the future. I am however using the goons guide to help out in that endeavor. Hopefully I can rip through the other 4 trainers this weekend and then start moving to other fish while my training fills out. Hopefully I won't go broke in the process.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 20, 2010, 07:07:46 PM

The tutorials give you a reasonable amount of money, but you will be broke because there's so much to buy.

I think there's also advantages to staying in empire and not in -BAT- until you can pilot a cruiser of your choice. There's a goon scheme for free cruisers for new players and a cruiser gives you a lot more options for generating isk in goonspace.... though I'm pretty noob myself.

- Simond
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #49 on: August 20, 2010, 07:11:54 PM

Yeah, the advantage to staying in empire until you can fly a cruiser is that you'll probably get bored and quit the game.  Whereas if you come to 0.0, most of the time something is going on and you can make fat isk with your friends.  For instance, I'm about to log in and see if any newbies want to run some Guristas Sanctums and shoot the shit on teamspeak.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 07:19:15 PM

Cruiser is a pretty short train with the noob bonus, will probably be done before you complete all the tutorials. But I guess it will train just as fast in goonspace.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:21:38 PM by Kageru »

- Simond
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 21, 2010, 08:06:43 AM

Ya  I can't see it taking more than a week to get into a cruiser and if you get that bored that easily Eve isn't really your game anyway. heh.

Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 21, 2010, 08:18:11 AM

Doubt I will get bored in empire. I tend to be anal about the tedious tasks until I get them smooth. I did some of the exploration tut missions this morning and had no clue what the hell I was doing the whole time and that was even with reading all the ingame blurbs and wiki info. But that type of shit draws me in and evaporates all my time because I will pick at it until I figure it out or I pass out from all the heavy drinking I am doing to compensate for my ignorance. That said, I am digging the exploration stuff now. Think Industry will be next.

edit to add:

I got the 14 day trial off the main link in the goonswarm recruitment thread but I see Eve is on Steam as well. Any better or worse factors to having it on steam or off? Likewise, if I should want to get it through Steam is there a way?

--additional question: this 21 day trial thing, is that an extra 21 days, or does that count the free 14 I am already on? either way, I might end up staying for a bit and someone might want to throw me a 21-day for the bonus.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:30:50 AM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 21, 2010, 11:33:53 AM

I believe the 21-day trial is something you get instead of the 14-day.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 21, 2010, 12:17:43 PM

Anyone able to send an in-game mail to Sidiri on a basic tackling and ratting fittings list? I don't have access to the GF or BC forums to check out any suggestions atm. BBQ season is calling me away for the evening, but when I get back tomorrow I'll be able to get into a rifter and would like to be as prepared as possible
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #55 on: August 21, 2010, 02:27:29 PM

If someone could handle this for Segoris, that'd be cool.  I'm going to a party in a few minutes and won't have time to myself.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 21, 2010, 02:57:54 PM

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Tackling_101_Guide

My advice: be fearless, better to cling on like a pit bull and die than to assume someone else has also got a point and lose your fleet the kill. Trading a frigate for anything (even another frigate) is always good because fleets that kill things have more fun than fleets that don't.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #57 on: August 21, 2010, 03:38:59 PM

When I flew tacklers (and later dictors), I treated them as disposable munitions.  Frequently the warp scrambler or bubble blower was worth more than the rest of my ship put together (including the hull).  Tacklers of any kind are built to die, you should fly them that way and build them cheap so you can stockpile spares and jump back into the fight (I've been the victim on more than a dozen killmails in a single fight).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 21, 2010, 07:35:05 PM

Having 3 sensor boosters with scan res scripts doesn't have any part in that, nosirree. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I was wondering if you'd gone and swapped out the tracking computer on the roam today.

If we're starting this sort of shenanigans I may have to resort to scan res rigs.

Hmm, according to EFT 3 boosters and 3 scan res rigs will lock a cruiser in less than a second, overheated on a 7 second cycle we could probably get a second volley off while the drakes first volley of missiles are still on their way out of the launch tubes....

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 21, 2010, 08:20:46 PM

I was wondering if you'd gone and swapped out the tracking computer on the roam today.

If we're starting this sort of shenanigans I may have to resort to scan res rigs.

Hmm, according to EFT 3 boosters and 3 scan res rigs will lock a cruiser in less than a second, overheated on a 7 second cycle we could probably get a second volley off while the drakes first volley of missiles are still on their way out of the launch tubes....

I hope one day I will know what the hell this means.  awesome, for real

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #60 on: August 21, 2010, 09:16:08 PM

I think for a guy who just came back from 12 hours night shift work (me) , the info just can't be digested at all.
Like...when creating a toon - they didn't even describe the stat points whatsoever. And the microscopic fonts are making it even harder to go through the tutorials. I increased the font but when I start opening multiple windows, the monitor just seemed a hell lot smaller now.

And yeah, fuck the PVE. I can't stand it. It's almost no different than mining asteroids, except they shoot back and you press more buttans.

Interest. diminishing. rapidly . Just tell me how to make a suicide super tackling jihad in very noobish terms so I can get a vet to /ragequit b4 i /borequit

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 21, 2010, 10:44:04 PM

Yeah, Eve gives me an eventual headache on my new high-res 27" monitor... and the option to configure game fonts between 9 *or* 12 point doesn't really help.

Stat points are used only to determine the speed for training skills. Whereas most RPG people expect the names to mean they do all sorts of things.

And yea, Eve PvE really is pretty bad to average. The only reason to be playing the game I've found are industrial for those who like crafting, playing as part of a player driven space empire or playing it because it eventually becomes almost free.

- Simond
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 21, 2010, 11:37:17 PM

My rifter setup in delve was2x nanofiber internal structure I's, one overdrive injector system 2 (you can go for 1 instead to save money), 1mn afterburner (or mwd, not really sure), warp disruptor 2 (you don't really want to skimp on this one, as it gives you 4km extra range which can be vital), and a stasis webifier 1. I sometimes became creative and put stuff on like a small nosferatu and 2x 200mm autocannon 1's, but they're not really that necessary. The nosferatu would be to give you more cap (as you'll run out eventually), and the guns (if anything) would be to whore more emails. Killmails for the killmail throne. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Trigona
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 22, 2010, 02:47:55 AM

I think for a guy who just came back from 12 hours night shift work (me) , the info just can't be digested at all.
Like...when creating a toon - they didn't even describe the stat points whatsoever. And the microscopic fonts are making it even harder to go through the tutorials. I increased the font but when I start opening multiple windows, the monitor just seemed a hell lot smaller now.

And yeah, fuck the PVE. I can't stand it. It's almost no different than mining asteroids, except they shoot back and you press more buttans.

Interest. diminishing. rapidly . Just tell me how to make a suicide super tackling jihad in very noobish terms so I can get a vet to /ragequit b4 i /borequit

Ok, it's important, imo, for you to join a corp such as Bat Country asap, although I have no say who gets accepted into the corp.  You can be an effective killer with a frigate, a guide can be read here: http://www.rifterdrifter.com This can be set up within a few weeks

It's hard being new in 0.0 but I'm sure the guys in Bat Country would help you as much as possible, also Goonwaffe have heaps of tutorials for new pilots.  If you like mmos then eve is worth persevering with.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:55:39 AM by Trigona »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 22, 2010, 04:28:24 AM

I hope one day I will know what the hell this means.  awesome, for real

This is a Hurricane. There are many like it but this one is mine.

(apologies I don't have any good screenshots, shit just dies too quickly around this ship  why so serious?)

The Hurricane is a battlecruiser, a medium sized ship that is around about the sweet spot in the current meta game.

The 'cane is normally fitted as a projectile artillery platform, projectile artillery has excellent alpha (damage per volley) but mediocre DPS over an extended period. The Hurricane also has plenty of room for sensor upgrades, which is critical to improving your scan resolution - this determines the time taken to lock a target.

Alpha + scan resolution together mean the ship is excellent and locking a target quickly and getting a big hit on it - often enough to flatten a frigate in a single hit, and a cruiser in two or three. This is important because...

(a) As soon as anyone realises they are going to lose, they will try to warp or jump out. Fast lock time and huge alpha is the next best thing to actually getting them tackled.
(b) Killing shit with a massive alpha strike before Drake pilots can even target it (so they don't even get on the killmail) is the moral duty of every right thinking citizen.
(c) Some key enemy ships (bombers, interdictors) are designed to warp in, drop their bomb or interdiction bubble and gtfo as soon as they can. The primary role of a Hurricane will be to protect the fleet by killing these key small ships before they do what they need to do (or worst case to destroy them before they warp out so they can't do it again).
(d) In a large fleet alpha is more important than dps anyway, since no primary target will survive more than a couple of volleys from a 200 man fleet, and killing guys before their logistics (healing) backup gets going is critical.

TGR is saying he has fitted three sensor boosters to his hurricane (reducing the time he needs to lock a typical target from several seconds to a couple of seconds). I'm calling shenanigans and pointing out that for this to fit, he must deviated from the standard alliance fittings (we have a wiki with preferred fittings for every ship in the game) and removed the tracking computer (the tracking computer increases his range and/or accuracy, but honestly isn't very necessary on a small gang roam).

Then I'm suggesting that if we really want to 'go there', the next step would be to use 'rigs'. Rigs are a special type of module that are a bit more expensive than normal modules, and which cannot be removed once fitted. I'm suggesting fitting +scan resolution (for reduced lock time) rigs.

This would get our lock time for a cruiser sized target down under a second, compared to a Drake taking 5 seconds or more (a Drake is another battlecruiser and the most common ship in Goonswarm fleets, it is chosen primarily for its excellent engagement range and for its incredibly strong shields - a Drake can take twice as much damage as our Hurricanes and heals more effectively because of its resists). But the drake will be even slower than 5 seconds to do damage, because a drake uses missiles. Missiles give the pilot a choice of damage type, and have certain accuracy advantages, but their big disadvantage is travel time, a heavy missile travels at approximately 5km/s, whereas artillery hits instantaneously,  this means a drake can't even start doing damage until maybe 9 seconds after the target appears on your overview.

Back in our hurricanes, we completed our first volley somewhere in the 1-2 second region, and we are preparing to fire a second time, ordinarily a skilled pilot will take around 8 or 9 seconds to cycle the 720mm Howitzers you would generally use on a hurricane, but we can do better than that, we can overheat! Overheating pushes modules to overperform, but they take damage and eventually burn out as a result. In the case of guns, overheating makes them cycle faster, and would get us two volleys before the Drakes can even get on the scoreboard.

Resulting in killmails like this (note how the damage is distributed)...

https://killboard.goonfleet.com/km/479843

Join Bat Country, and you too will understand all this arcane bullshit before long.

PS. The other thing I mention there is EFT - which is an out of game tool for designing ship fittings. There are plenty of threads around listing the various tools you'd be wise to download (EFT for ship design, GTS for navigation, EVEmon for skill planning, and of course jabber and teamspeak for comms).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:31:18 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 22, 2010, 04:31:58 AM

As Trigona said. In most MMO's you can have fun soloing and exploring. In Eve you need to be part of something bigger for your actions to have any meaning and satisfaction to them. And the -BAT- guys seem to have absorbed much of the noob friendliness and not taking it too seriously ambience of the goons without some of the more retarded aspects of goon culture.

- Simond
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 22, 2010, 04:51:37 AM

No stat points are involved when creating a character.

Everyone starts with even points across all stats, you then get two attribute respecs you can use in game, and another one every year. Don't worry about till you know wtf, but for most people the best plan is....

1) Complete the tutorial.
2) Learn to fly a rifter. (join ops)
3) Learn to fly a Stabber (joins ops)
4) Respec to int & mem.
5) Train learning skills, fitting skills, some supports.
6) Respec max perception, rest in willpower.
7) Learn to fly everything.
8) Never think about attributes ever again.

As for pve, fuck pve, complete the tutorial and pod yourself to Deklien. Also, join the F13 channel (use the little speech bubble icon in your chat window) and bother people with questions.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 22, 2010, 05:19:10 AM

Not just on that roam, all roams the past few months. We end up gatecamping, and the first to lock and set off a volley wins.

I've actually been wondering if I couldn't swap the MWD out for a disruptor, but I keep coming back to the fact I still want that maneuverability, and I tend to be more than 24km away from them when they pop up, so I've decided to just ignore that thought and go with the setup I have. Its default setup (scan res scripts and shortrange ammo) means I hit out to 50km quickly and hard, and is perfect for gatecamps like this, where we meet up with less than 10 guys at a time.

(b) Killing shit with a massive alpha strike before Drake pilots can even target it (so they don't even get on the killmail) is the moral duty of every right thinking citizen.
(c) Some key enemy ships (bombers, interdictors) are designed to warp in, drop their bomb or interdiction bubble and gtfo as soon as they can. The primary role of a Hurricane will be to protect the fleet by killing these key small ships before they do what they need to do (or worst case to destroy them before they warp out so they can't do it again).
(d) In a large fleet alpha is more important than dps anyway, since no primary target will survive more than a couple of volleys from a 200 man fleet, and killing guys before their logistics (healing) backup gets going is critical.

TGR is saying he has fitted three sensor boosters to his hurricane (reducing the time he needs to lock a typical target from several seconds to a couple of seconds). I'm calling shenanigans and pointing out that for this to fit, he must deviated from the standard alliance fittings (we have a wiki with preferred fittings for every ship in the game) and removed the tracking computer (the tracking computer increases his range and/or accuracy, but honestly isn't very necessary on a small gang roam).
Absolutely correct on b). Bat Squad Supremacy! (...or something Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?)

As to the bombers in c), just one minor detail here. If I'm not mistaken, if you kill the ship before the bomb goes off, then you've saved the fleet from 1 bomb, which may or may not be vital.

And as to deviating from fleet fits, I don't really see it as shenanigans. I don't really care if I get reimbursed on small roams like this or not. The hurricane is fairly cheap to replace, which is why I want to hug it and feed it and call it george.

Actually, I see my setup as more or less perfect for the sort of work we usually do on roams like this, since we stay within 50-60km of the gate and just punch them in the face. If we were going for fleet fights with 200+ in each fleet, then chances are I would swap not one but TWO of my sensor boosters with tracking computers with tracking speed, and set the sensor booster to targeting range, for swatting quick flies out to 90km. I hope I'll get to test this setup out at some point.

But yeah, I have minmatar BS 5, and I haven't really flown minmatar BSes all that much the last ... well, year, really. I'm more or less stuck in my hurricane, I love it so much. I die almost every time I'm primaried, though, so it does have its disadvantages.

Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 22, 2010, 05:55:56 AM

I don't know. I kinda like the tutorial and the PvE aspects. Its slow enough to learn all the intricacies without the frustration of getting into a fight and not knowing wtf to do before being killed. Nothing defeats my interest in a game more than having to know 800 things at the get go and never being able to learn and apply them before being fed my own ass on a plate. I dig the slow pace - esp since learning skills is continually going on.

That said... holy shit is there a ton of shit to learn. I think I'll start writing a dummy's guide to Eve.  why so serious?

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 22, 2010, 08:09:24 AM

I don't know. I kinda like the tutorial and the PvE aspects. Its slow enough to learn all the intricacies without the frustration of getting into a fight and not knowing wtf to do before being killed. Nothing defeats my interest in a game more than having to know 800 things at the get go and never being able to learn and apply them before being fed my own ass on a plate. I dig the slow pace - esp since learning skills is continually going on.

That said... holy shit is there a ton of shit to learn. I think I'll start writing a dummy's guide to Eve.  why so serious?

It took me three months of playing Eve to fully realize how little I knew about playing Eve.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Super Newbie  
Jump to: