Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:14:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Super Newbie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Super Newbie  (Read 57850 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: January 20, 2011, 11:00:42 AM

I started two weeks ago with a 200 million isk investment and I've made 150 million profit so far.

How much of a time investment though?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: January 31, 2011, 08:41:08 AM

So which is worse, losing my Myrm in a L2 or an Ishtar in an L3?  Heartbreak

Looks like I have reached my previous competence levels.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: January 31, 2011, 09:55:51 AM

So, I finally was able to pilot my manticore.  I fitted the ship, undocked from the space station, popped on my cloak, and... nothing.  Apparently I need to spend five more days training cloaking in order to use a covert ops cloak unless I want to crawl through space at thirty meters per second.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: January 31, 2011, 10:21:32 AM

Um, yeah.  A covops frigate, recon cruiser, or blockade runner without a covops cloak is a little bit crippled.  That's a pretty mandatory piece of equipment for their proper use.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #214 on: January 31, 2011, 10:35:08 AM

Both of these are pretty embarrassing.  Were you trying to actually kill a Recon?
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: January 31, 2011, 01:11:20 PM

Both of these are pretty embarrassing.  Were you trying to actually kill a Recon?

The L2 yeah, I just didn't really read the mission, went in guns blazing and got neuted.

The L3 was a perfect storm of incompetence.  The Ishtar has been a complete pwnmobile in L3 to the point where I just salvage wrecks or nap while my drones happily eat all the rats.  So I have one final mission before I get the standing to do L4s and it's the Damsel in Distress.  I say "Cool, I've done this before, just a smash and grab and be done with it."

So in I go, burn straight to the pleasure hub, flipping the bird at Kruul as I fly past.  "Hmm.  I'm getting hit a lot. Oh well."  Launch the drones, and somewhere there's a fuckup and the drones go after Kruul.  Which then spawns a pile more rats.  Annnnnd I'm fucked.

I did do a smash and grab on this mission before.  When it was level 2.   swamp poop
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: January 31, 2011, 02:53:43 PM

Oh. The level 4 damsel in distress... yeah, that caused me a few headaches in my Eon.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #217 on: January 31, 2011, 03:25:24 PM

Damsel in Distress is incredibly easy if you manage your drones' aggro manually, but if you accidentally trigger all the respawns then you're probably screwed.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: January 31, 2011, 05:11:37 PM

Love the Ishtar, but I armor-and-speed-tank it, rather than doing shields (which increases sig radius).  I do L4's in it, and as long as you don't get webbed and stay above 500 m/s, it can tank a full room of Extravaganza or Worlds Collide battleships and cruisers indefinitely.  All you have to do is kill the frigates fast, cause they hurt.  And, things go from peachy to dead pretty fast if you lose your speed, so no afk if webifiers are still up, or if you're in a place where you could bump into roids and stuff.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: February 01, 2011, 08:58:19 AM

I'm currently dithering on which to put a contract on first (and given my usual luck, promptly lose to some awesomely terribad mistake):  Right now, I'm eyeing either a T2 kipped out Drake or about a week away from having nice little cruise missile and drone Raven.  This would be for ratting - Until I get the hang of tackling and the like, I'm sticking with Rifters for fleet ops.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: February 06, 2011, 06:37:01 AM

I'd say drake because it's still a very viable fleet ship, and much cheaper to lose than any battleship. And the missile skills transition perfectly to a Tengu. Which not only rats well but is useful for incursions (unlike the Raven).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: February 07, 2011, 11:04:16 PM

Drake and then move your skills to a Tengu. most skills cross over from the Drake and a shield/speed tanked Tengu is a lot of fun in a L4 - more fun than a slow arse BS :)

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #222 on: February 08, 2011, 03:28:22 AM

Of course, one of the fastest ways to burn yourself out on this game is to focus solely on PvE ships and related skills.  Make sure you're spending some time in fleets.  The blackbird is a really easy ship to train for, since you already have most of the necessary Caldari skills.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: February 08, 2011, 05:43:06 AM

Of course, one of the fastest ways to burn yourself out on this game is to focus solely on PvE ships and related skills.  Make sure you're spending some time in fleets.  The blackbird is a really easy ship to train for, since you already have most of the necessary Caldari skills.

Fleets are good - I managed to get in a little tackling/blowing myself up/making dong conga lines in 6V, but just haven't had a lot of time to play Eve let alone anything else right now.   So I'm having to content myself with playing EveMon more than anything.    I'm pretty sure I even already have a blackbird sitting in my hangar already to take out on an Op and piss in cheerios when the opportunity arises.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Super Newbie  
Jump to: