Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:25:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 197846 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #455 on: October 18, 2010, 01:26:37 PM

It's a tradeoff. Longer downtime between the season and the championship game leads to worse play and worse gameday conditioning. Sure there's a risk on every play, but I believe that with 40+ days of delay in the current format, you're not even seeing the national championship teams compete at their best.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #456 on: October 18, 2010, 01:54:33 PM

And we saw Texas versus Alabama. 

Yep, in one of the 3 options possible there. Who knows how the others go, and also can you imagine how much more money these games rack up when they are meaningful?

They already rack up a ton of money. 

The other issue that hasn't been addressed is injury.  Obviously McCoy's injury hurt Texas pretty badly.  More games = more injuries. 

When they quit adding regular season games you can play this card. Until then it is absolutely meaningless.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #457 on: October 18, 2010, 03:11:48 PM

And we saw Texas versus Alabama. 

Yep, in one of the 3 options possible there. Who knows how the others go, and also can you imagine how much more money these games rack up when they are meaningful?

They already rack up a ton of money. 

The other issue that hasn't been addressed is injury.  Obviously McCoy's injury hurt Texas pretty badly.  More games = more injuries. 

When they quit adding regular season games you can play this card. Until then it is absolutely meaningless.

I'm old school.  I want them to go back to 11 games so we don't have 80 plus teams bowl eligible. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #458 on: October 21, 2010, 01:41:47 PM

I'm all tingley after the PAC-12 news conference about alignment.  I foresee many roadies in the future.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #459 on: October 21, 2010, 01:44:00 PM

I'm all tingley after the PAC-12 news conference about alignment.  I foresee many roadies in the future.

The Oregon schools are a lot of fun to watch games at, so I hear. 
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: October 21, 2010, 02:08:02 PM

Losing the UCLA/USC v. Berkley games is annoying.  How will I sate my generic dislike of the Bay Area outside of baseball season now?

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #461 on: October 21, 2010, 02:10:12 PM

Losing the UCLA/USC v. Berkley games is annoying.  How will I sate my generic dislike of the Bay Area outside of baseball season now?

I thought they were working on a way to keep them in-  some kind of 5-2-2 bullshit. 
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: October 21, 2010, 02:20:26 PM

Losing the UCLA/USC v. Berkley games is annoying.  How will I sate my generic dislike of the Bay Area outside of baseball season now?

I thought they were working on a way to keep them in-  some kind of 5-2-2 bullshit.  

Yeah, the ESPN story from a bit ago made it seem like they weren't sure about 5-2-2 with a quote from the USC AD, but now I can't seem to find it.

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #463 on: October 21, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

The SI article I read said Stanford and Cal will still both play USC and UCLA every year.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: October 21, 2010, 02:42:30 PM

Yes.  The California schools will all play each other, the rest of their division, and two of the four remaining out-of-division schools.  I assume the other schools won't have fixed out-of-division games and will just have five division games and four rotating out-of-division games.

It's a bit clunky, but it works.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #465 on: October 22, 2010, 06:11:06 AM

Well, Oregon looks to be the real deal.  What a smackdown of a team that beat Texas (who is down, but still good). 

There's a lot of good games on this weekend-

LSU-Auburn
Oklahoma- Missouri
Air Force-TCU
Wisconsin-Iowa
Nebraska-Okie State
Washington-Arizona

Just for posterities sake here's a quote from Les Miles

"For all the right reasons, we encourage to be a great team, encourage playing four quarters of quality football and encourage to improve."
- LSUSports.net Nov 12, 2008 why so serious?
WayAbvPar

Reply #466 on: October 22, 2010, 09:35:12 AM

First round in Seattle is on me.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: October 22, 2010, 09:44:08 AM

Sweet! The reverse its certainty true if you journey down to SLC.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #468 on: October 22, 2010, 09:46:56 AM

The Arizona game this weekend is going to physically kill me.  Our offense has been dogshit for 3 weeks and now we have our second string running QB (who throws a pretty decent ball) at the helm.

I imagine we'll do 2 series of some sort of pseudo-Rich Rod offense before ditching it and going back to the standard sets with a less accurate guy trying to emulate what Foles can do. OSU's win pretty much shat all over my expectations for this season.  We've still got the talent, it just seems like we can't get any sort of cohesive offensive plan together, and you need to score points when your secondary can be a bit vulnerable at times.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #469 on: October 23, 2010, 12:17:55 PM

Alright Paelos.  We're back to Ky-UGa.  What is your prediction? 

I'm going with UGa 42-17. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #470 on: October 23, 2010, 04:07:06 PM

Wisconsin-Iowa - how football was meant to be played. Damn fine game there, save for the wtf at the end.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: October 23, 2010, 06:30:04 PM

It looked like they were lining up to spike it, and then they inexplicably burned their last time out. I guess the Iowa coach borrowed Les Miles' hat.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: October 23, 2010, 08:04:00 PM

At the Utes game today (I didn't take this, my seats are better  awesome, for real):

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 08:06:54 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #473 on: October 24, 2010, 06:07:36 AM

I'm struggling to figure out why Utah is considered "worse" than TCU and Boise State. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #474 on: October 24, 2010, 08:58:41 AM

Alright Paelos.  We're back to Ky-UGa.  What is your prediction? 

I'm going with UGa 42-17. 

Pretty close. Actually I wouldn't have predicted 38-34 UGA, and I would have been wrong.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: October 24, 2010, 09:16:19 AM

I'm struggling to figure out why Utah is considered "worse" than TCU and Boise State. 

Utah suffers from the fact that they haven't played anyone. The only ranked team that they've defeated was Pitt and I don't think they're even ranked anymore.  TCU did a better job on a team both they and Utah played (Wyoming).  Boise State is the only of the three teams to have defeated two top 25 opponents. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: October 24, 2010, 11:32:01 AM

The Utes beat Iowa State by hanging 68 on them at their place and Iowa State just went down to Austin and beat Texas. Pitt is now leading the Big East.  Don't put much stock in the Wyoming game as the Utes were on the road and TCU was home, plus our coach is buddies with Wyoming's coach so we didn't run it up on them.  I will agree that our schedule hasn't been particularly tough, but will ramp up significantly over the next month. We play TCU in two weeks so it will be pretty easy to tell who is better at that point and I think the winner of that game will certainly jump BSU (or they should anyways).

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: October 24, 2010, 11:43:23 AM

The Utes beat Iowa State by hanging 68 on them at their place and Iowa State just went down to Austin and beat Texas. Pitt is now leading the Big East.  Don't put much stock in the Wyoming game as the Utes were on the road and TCU was home, plus our coach is buddies with Wyoming's coach so we didn't run it up on them.  I will agree that our schedule hasn't been particularly tough, but will ramp up significantly over the next month. We play TCU in two weeks so it will be pretty easy to tell who is better at that point and I think the winner of that game will certainly jump BSU (or they should anyways).

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that TCU was the better team.  I am predicting Utah in their matchup.  I was just stating why many have TCU ranked higher for the moment. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: October 24, 2010, 12:40:12 PM

Ya, plus you have jokers like John Wilner voting the Utes at #16.

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #479 on: October 24, 2010, 06:59:48 PM

I think the winner of that game will certainly jump BSU (or they should anyways).

Absolutely. 

Also, Auburn looks like a monster.  Cam Newton is what Tim Tebow would have been if he was 6-6 and fast. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #480 on: October 24, 2010, 07:06:28 PM

I think the winner of that game will certainly jump BSU (or they should anyways).

Absolutely. 

Also, Auburn looks like a monster.  Cam Newton is what Tim Tebow would have been if he was 6-6 and fast. 

As it stands now, I'd love to see if he could keep up with the machine that is Oregon. If LSU had an offense or even a QB, that game would have been different though. The Iron Bowl will be fun to watch.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #481 on: October 24, 2010, 08:03:33 PM

Oregon v. Auburn is officially my current vote for the best national title game matchup. Of course, as a UGA fan, I wouldn't mind wrecking Auburn's dreams!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Here's the thing, though. We all know Boise ain't losing. We all know TCU and Utah are going to knock one or the other out. Whichever wins that game is going to be undefeated. If Michigan State gets by Iowa they have an unranked path to get undefeated. If Mizzou gets by Nebraska, they too have an unranked path to undefeated. Oregon has a weak Arizona team left as their ranked opponent. Auburn has Alabama. Everybody outside of Boise has one ranked test left on their schedule.

Except, Mizzou and Auburn have to play championship games if they win out. That's a minor issue for Auburn given that the SEC East is total shit right now, but it's a huge deal for Mizzou, who could easily end up facing OU for a rematch. The odds that Auburn gets past Alabama and Mizzou gets past whatever is left are probably non-existent. Michigan State could easily fall apart against Iowa or frankly anybody as Northwestern proved.

I still think we're looking at Boise v. Oregon as the realistic ending to this year.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #482 on: October 25, 2010, 08:12:00 AM

I think Auburn's defense will prove to be stronger than Oregon's, and the offenses look to be about the same.  It would be a hell of a game.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #483 on: October 25, 2010, 08:26:20 AM

I think Auburn's defense will prove to be stronger than Oregon's, and the offenses look to be about the same.  It would be a hell of a game.

I agree on defense, but I think Oregon's offense is way more prolific. It's just madness!

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: October 25, 2010, 08:23:24 PM

I still think we're looking at Boise v. Oregon as the realistic ending to this year.

I'm curious why you would pick Boise to go over the winner of TCU - Utah (particularly if it's TCU) given what you've pointed out about schedules and the current state of the polls.  It seems inevitable to me that if TCU wins out, they will jump over Boise in the BCS rankings.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #485 on: October 25, 2010, 08:47:32 PM

I'm curious why you would pick Boise to go over the winner of TCU - Utah (particularly if it's TCU) given what you've pointed out about schedules and the current state of the polls.  It seems inevitable to me that if TCU wins out, they will jump over Boise in the BCS rankings.

Boise is the AP poll media darling. I don't think the polls would give Utah enough credit for beating TCU, or vice versa even given their rankings. The computers might sort that out better, but the polls are still large part of the computer formulas.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:49:36 PM by Paelos »

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: October 25, 2010, 08:48:38 PM

TCU can jump BSU by beating Utah, but Utah will not jump BSU by beating TCU. Makes no sense, but neither does the ranking system.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #487 on: October 25, 2010, 08:50:10 PM

TCU can jump BSU by beating Utah, but Utah will not jump BSU by beating TCU. Makes no sense, but neither does the ranking system.

I certainly agree with the Utah part. I'm not certain on the TCU part in the math.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: October 25, 2010, 08:53:50 PM

TCU is only .0013 behind BSU and would get a decent bump in the computer rankings from a win over Utah while BSU's computer ranking will sink with each game they play except for the Nevada game.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: October 25, 2010, 08:56:36 PM

Also, the computers are a joke. They have Missouri at #2 despite the fact that without a blown call they lose to San Diego State. The whole system is fucked.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: