Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:51:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 192749 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: July 02, 2010, 10:09:55 AM

64 Days to go...

Also, the UGA Atheletic Director just got picked up for DUI this week. Here's the kickers:

- He had a public service announcement on the Jumbotron after every Georgia home game reminding people not to drive drunk.
- He's 40 years old and was driving drunk with a 28 year old woman at 1AM.
- He's married and she wasn't his wife.

This last year has literally had the most random controversy I've seen in a long while with Massoli's robbery, Oregon's complete meltdown off the field, the Tennessee robbery, Mike Leach's firing over the shed incident, the USC bitchslapping, it just went on and on.

Let's get ready for some football!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:52:37 AM

Amen... this year will be all about Michigan's Roddy, USC's problems, and realignment. That said, let's get it on.

As for the UGA thing... so he got a DUI in Georgia, now he fits in. The rest is just filler.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:07:14 AM

60 days left...

The UGA Athletic Director has resigned in the wake of the scandal. It all seems fairly ironic given that his PSA said, "You drink, you drive, you lose." Indeed.

The Bleacher Report issued their Top Ten Most Overhyped Players in 2010. I agree with most of their selections, with the exception of probably Ricky Stanzi out of Iowa. That guy was the difference maker, and when he went down Iowa was lost. Here's the list:

1 - Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State
2 - Garrett Gilbert, QB, Texas
3 - Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
4 - Even Royster, RB, Penn State
5 - BJ Daniels, QB, South Florida
6 - Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa
7 - Jordan Jefferson, QB, LSU
8 - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
9 - Jacory Harris, QB, Miami
10 - Terelle Pryor, QB, Ohio State

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:11:49 AM

I think Pryor is finally going to have a break out year. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:38:25 AM

I think Pryor is finally going to have a break out year. 

Maybe his upper leg... Possibly the hip.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 08:58:46 AM

60 loooong days until kickoff...I need a college football fix in a bad way.  Watching re-runs on CSS just isn't cutting it.  Don't see Bama running the table again this year.  Brutal road schedule (@ Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennesse, and LSU).  Arkansas is going to be the tone setter for the year, IMHO.  Plus, we lost too much pure irreplaceable talent on defense (10 of 11 starters).  Offense should be stacked, though.  Returning the best two RBs in the nation, a good, solid core of WRs, all but one of the OL, and a QB that's never (ever) lost a football game.

Julio Jones is about 5 spots too low on that list, btw.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:03:28 AM by SnakeCharmer »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 09:26:39 AM

What's a good preseason top five? 

Florida, Bama, OSU, Tejas, Nebraska in no particular order would be mine.

I think the Boise States and TCUs are interesting, but I don't want to put them in the top ten just yet. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:54:37 AM

My top five would include Alabama, Wisconsin, Iowa, Texas, and Boise State.

I snub Ohio State because I simply don't believe in them as an offensive program. They can be top 10 with their defense, but they will have tough games against Wisconsin, Iowa, and Penn State this year, where they will lose at least one. I don't expect them to beat Wisconsin simply because the Badgers will not again shoot themselves in the foot by coughing up 3 TDs on interceptions or returns. That's the only reason OSU won that game; other than that their offense was anemic and hasn't improved. Also, Wisconsin plays OSU in Wisconsin. That will be one of the marquee matchups early on for the Big whatever-they-call-it-now.

No love for Florida here either, and not just because of the bias. I don't buy into the fact Florida can mount the same kind of dominance when they lost their QB, their Center, best receiver, and the majority of their defense. Also, who knows if they have a running game without Tebow? We haven't seen one in years.

TCU needs to prove they can beat the other BCS busters before they get a shot.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:08:19 PM by Paelos »

Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 02:17:38 PM

My bias lies in the Hurricanes and LSU... but I think the ACC is going to do well this year. My top 5:

Florida St.
Miami
Oklahoma
LSU
Arkansas

and yes, I been drinking heavily.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 02:30:23 PM

I think John Brantley will be a very, very good SEC QB.  The kid is a major stud.  

Also, OSU's season hinges on whether Tressel can stop the Dean Smith act and let Pryor play some football.  I hate to see good talent squashed by crappy coaching.

Edit: 

Dooley could prove to awesome at UT.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:37:23 PM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:47:09 AM

52 days...

Bobby Johnson is planning to step down as the Vandy head coach Everyone else in the SEC laments: Wow, I didn't know Vandy had a head coach!

Also, the Volunteers can't seem to stop getting arrested, this time for a bar fight. The "kicker" is that they stomped an off-duty policeman unconscious while he lay on the ground. Don't they know that once the guy is down, the fight is over? Apparently not. Two players are susepended, and one was tossed off the team.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 11:04:10 AM

The Bleacher Report issued their Top Ten Most Overhyped Players in 2010. I agree with most of their selections, with the exception of probably Ricky Stanzi out of Iowa. That guy was the difference maker, and when he went down Iowa was lost. Here's the list:

1 - Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State
2 - Garrett Gilbert, QB, Texas
3 - Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
4 - Even Royster, RB, Penn State
5 - BJ Daniels, QB, South Florida
6 - Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa
7 - Jordan Jefferson, QB, LSU
8 - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
9 - Jacory Harris, QB, Miami
10 - Terelle Pryor, QB, Ohio State

They're not taking any risks with that list at all.  Those are all high profile position players which are incredibly difficult to assess accurately.  I could name 10 QB's from high profile programs as being overhyped and I'd be right 80% of the time.  Programs hype their marquis players to put fans in the seats and get donors to give money.  Most of the programs for college football list their players as being 20 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller.  It's all hype. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 11:39:31 AM

Joe Montana's kid got arrested for underage drinking.  While this is certainly I may have partaken of myself in my youth, it certainly doesn't hurt my feelings to see the Irish suffering.

Story
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 11:46:30 AM

The most recognizable athletes arrested were Nate Montana, a walk-on who was the backup to starter Dayne Crist coming out of the spring, and Tim Abromaitis, the second leading scorer on the Irish basketball team at 16.1 points a game last season.

Apparently to play for the Irish you have to be cursed with a horrible name. Yikes.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 11:51:49 AM

Also, any predictions for the Heisman?  I'm going to go with Ryan Mallett for Arky.  He's a heck of a talent and finally has a decent coach in Petrino. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 12:01:50 PM

Here's my predictions for the Heisman:

Ryan Mallet (AK) - a good choice given that Arkansas is going to have a much better chance this year to win the West, but they have to do that for him to have a shot and that requires beating...

Mark Ingram (AL) - the chance of him repeating is pretty high is he has a similar season and Alabama is just as competitive.

Jake Locker (Washington) - he's a sleeper pick, but given that Oregon and USC have major issues, the time is ripe for this kid to take a shot at the PAC-10 title. He went under the radar because Washington was so mediocre last year, but he carries 2,800 passing yards and an almost 130 QB rating from last season in a BAD year.

Terrelle Pryor (OSU) and Kellen Moore (Boise) will also be in the running, but I don't think Pryor will have the kind of production in that system to win it. Kellen gets hurt by the fact that he has to go undefeated to have a remote shot.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 01:43:27 PM

Ingram won't be in the running for the Heisman this year.  Hell, he's not even going to be the primary ball carrier if things keep up.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 01:55:05 PM

I almost think that the Heisman voters are so insistent that it is impossible to win two in a row that they won't let it happen.  It's a self fulfilling prophecy.  I think Tebow had a very good argument that he deserved the second in a row. 

Anyway, I think Ingram will have a better season than you're expecting, Charmer. 
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 05:33:43 PM

Anyway, I think Ingram will have a better season than you're expecting, Charmer. 

Bet you a game on steam that he ranks third on the team in number of carries by the end of the season ;)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 08:08:05 PM

Bet you a game on steam that he ranks third on the team in number of carries by the end of the season ;)

Okay.  That's fair.  Under 15 bucks?

Edit:  To be clear-  he is #1 or #2, I win, #3 or worse you win.  And injury should nullify the bet. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:09:44 PM by ghost »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 08:39:51 PM

Okay.  That's fair.  Under 15 bucks?

Edit:  To be clear-  he is #1 or #2, I win, #3 or worse you win.  And injury should nullify the bet. 

Sure, sounds good.

I was actually coming back here to post that an injury would make the bet void since it takes coaching decisions out of the equation.  Does ANY injury count?  Or just one that knocks him out of X number of games?  Problem is, and just being honest here, unless it's something season ending or something that would cause him to miss significant game time, Saban won't allow comment on it.  They don't comment unless it's 100 percent for sure he's going to miss X games or rest of the season.  Makes it a bit tricky, so I suppose we're just going to have to come to some sort of agreement when/if it happens.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 12:06:49 PM

I think any injury that costs him to lose games. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 12:27:20 PM

If UW's defense can unfuck itself enough to keep scoring below 25 points a game or so, Locker should have a real shot. The offense is fucking stacked (OL is still a question mark, but not as bad as past years), even if most of the country has never heard of most of the kids. Polk, Kearse, Middleton, Polk (there are two!) are all older and more experienced, and there are a couple of hot shit freshman too. Locker should also get better, which is pretty amazing. He is the best running QB I have ever seen (if you don't count glorified running backs who almost never throw), has a ++ arm, and has finally gotten some decent coaching.

He is also an amazing kid- humble, competitive, and kind. My wife works with a woman whose nephew had a brain tumor- his MAW request was to meet Jake Locker. They hung out for a day at Husky Stadium throwing the ball around, grabassing, and just having fun. A few weeks later there was a charity event to help raise money for the kid. Locker showed up unexpectedly and brought a few teammates with him. He pointed to him after he scored his first collegiate touchdown (yep- he did all this before he played a down). He maintained a relationship with Kyle until he died, and continues to work for his charity. If you google 'kyle roger' and Jake Locker you should be able to find more info. Warning- dry eyes will be a distant memory, especially if you have kids.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 01:16:50 PM

Sarkisian was a very underrated part of USC's staff.  I would rate him way above the Tennessee Turdburglar.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 01:28:05 PM

Sarkisian was a very underrated part of USC's staff.  I would rate him way above the Tennessee Turdburglar.

That's a good one. I like Runaway Lane as well.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 03:43:35 PM

Sarkisian has the stink of BYU on him though so expect disappointment.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 08:35:06 PM

I'm still in shock at the NCAA ruling against USC. 

47 days?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 06:17:05 AM

I know most people hate USC, but if you read the NCAA report on the whole deal I think they got the shaft a little bit.  And this recent issue with the Florida guy is the same way.  The NCAA has reached a point where their laws are basically unenforceable.  How is Florida to keep that kid from taking money between the end of the season and a bowl game?  Do they have to put these guys in prison cells?  It's a bunch of crap and quite hypocritical by the NCAA.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 06:48:24 AM

It's hypocritical, but it's also a felony in many states to offer money to a kid before he is draft eligible. That's why nobody ever sues the kids for taking the money and running, because to bring the suit you have to admit to commiting a felony yourself. The only reason it came up with Bush is because the agent was so pissed off, he just said fuck it and went for broke.

The question is who are these laws supposed to protect? The kids? The school? The Agents? If it's the Agents, that doesn't work because they have to admit to a crime just to get restitution. If it's the schools, that isn't working because the kids and agents can make deals without their knowledge and they are the ones facing suspensions. If it's the kids, I'd say they would be stupid not to take the money. You never have to give it back, you're not under contract to do a damn thing since it was illegal in the first place, you're not subject to the rules of the NCAA when you leave, and the NFL doesn't give a damn.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 07:10:02 AM

The question is who are these laws supposed to protect?

It's not who, but what:  The NCAA Money Train.

The NCAA is totally selective in its enforcement, has zero oversight, isn't bound by any legal document(s), and basically does what it wants to who it wants when it wants to. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 07:50:28 AM

If the laws protect the NCAA, they don't work either. They have no ability to do anything but punish schools after the fact, regardless of what they did to stop it. Although, I do agree that the NCAA is making entirely too much money of these kids for absolutely no reward to them. Everyone who says, "They are getting paid; they are getting a free education, and they just need to make the most of it," is a flaming idiot. Athletes have ridiculous demands on their time, even when they aren't football players on the national stage. You have morning practices, mandatory workouts, mandatory film sessions, travel on the weekends, a full load of classes, mandatory study halls, afternoon practices and you have to find time to eat/sleep/poop as well, while studying some in your "free time". That's what it takes to get an education while being a regular collegiate athelete.

You think the football program is letting their starters worry about class when they could be prepping for this weeks game? Hell no.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 08:41:43 AM

The NCAA really needs to evaluate their methods, that is for sure.....or someone needs to investigate them.  I wonder how they would like that?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 08:56:31 AM

The sport has simply outgrown the foundation. When the NCAA was founded over a century ago in 1906, college athletics were something totally different than they are today. Back then, they were simple club teams, and playing as a professional athelete was rare outside of baseball. Those rules that were set up to glorify the amateur athlete simply don't apply in today's economy. The college football we know commands almost as much revenue and air time as the professional league.

WayAbvPar

Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 09:27:41 AM

I would be more than happy to see the whole college athletics thing take a back seat for a tiered minor league system for each sport with promotion and relegation. The 'student athlete' is pretty much dead, if in fact it ever really existed on a large scale. Of course, there is so much money in college sports that they will never go away. Pity.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 10:57:04 AM

The NCAA really needs to evaluate their methods, that is for sure.....or someone needs to investigate them.  I wonder how they would like that?

What really needs to happen is for the top 5 money making football programs (Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Florida, etc) and basketball programs (Duke, UK, UNC, etc) need to say 'Fuck this, I'm outta here' and form their own 'association' for governance.  The rest would follow and the NCAA would crumble.  Hell, if the SEC just decided to leave the NCAA it would take care of its self.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: