Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 08:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 199653 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #490 on: October 25, 2010, 08:58:48 PM

Also, the computers are a joke. They have Missouri at #2 despite the fact that without a blown call they lose to San Diego State. The whole system is fucked.

Agreed. Still, Utah is bound for better things. Just not this year.

EDIT: Also, an Oregon/TCU final would have the ESPN cocksuckers hating the system when their ratings go in the shitter, HA!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:02:37 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: October 25, 2010, 09:00:40 PM

Yes, the only way a non-AQ gets near the top of the polls is if they're undefeated.  Even though TCU and Utah are both top-10 at the moment, the loser is going to drop like a lead weight and the winner probably won't go any higher than whatever place the higher ranked team was before the game.

Also, Boise isn't getting near the NCG unless we start seeing multiple two-loss AQ conference champions.  Get ready for another Consolation Prize Bowl with Boise and the winner of TCU/Utah.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong and the voters get it through their heads that the MWC is actually pretty good and TCU/Utah are both very very good teams, but that's rather unlikely.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: October 26, 2010, 12:31:06 AM

Does anyone think Michigan State or Missouri can stay solid and take their respective conferences undefeated? 

Those two, Auburn either undefeated or with one close loss and the SEC title, Alabama with an impressive win over Auburn to close out and the SEC title, or of course Oregon undefeated are the teams I could see going ahead of TCU and Boise in the polls.  Missing anyone?  I see no chance of a one loss conference champ from anywhere except the SEC jumping them.

However this shakes out, I pray we don't end up with another bowl pitting the two top non-AQ teams.  If they go in and wreck two legitimate big conference opponents they would at least gain some credibility for next season.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #493 on: October 26, 2010, 04:47:35 AM

YTCU and Utah are both top-10 at the moment, the loser is going to drop like a lead weight and the winner probably won't go any higher than whatever place the higher ranked team was before the game.

The SOS from this win will likely put TCU ahead of Boise State in the BCS poll. 
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: October 26, 2010, 06:37:14 AM

Does anyone think Michigan State or Missouri can stay solid and take their respective conferences undefeated? 

Those two, Auburn either undefeated or with one close loss and the SEC title, Alabama with an impressive win over Auburn to close out and the SEC title, or of course Oregon undefeated are the teams I could see going ahead of TCU and Boise in the polls.  Missing anyone?  I see no chance of a one loss conference champ from anywhere except the SEC jumping them.

However this shakes out, I pray we don't end up with another bowl pitting the two top non-AQ teams.  If they go in and wreck two legitimate big conference opponents they would at least gain some credibility for next season.

If AU wins out (including the SECCG), they're in the NCG.
If Bama wins out (including the SECCG), they're in the NCG.

Bama's SoS is going to SKYROCKET as it finishes the season.  If they beat a top 15 ranked LSU, top 25 ranked Miss State, and top 3 ranked AU?  In like Flynn, baby.  We finally got an offweek to get healthy for stretch and work on some fundamentals.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #495 on: October 26, 2010, 06:45:55 AM

Michigan State, yes. We'll know after Saturday. If they can beat Iowa, they just have to keep their heads on straight for 3 unranked opponents with the biggest mental hurdle being Penn State.

Missouri? No chance. They have to face Nebraska. This Nebraska team has two strengths that could crush Mizzou. First, they are fantastic at controlling the ball on the ground, and keeping the other team's offense off the field. Second, they outscore opponents 51-28 in the 4th quarter. They finish strong when it counts. Outside of the OU game, Mizzou has had problems this season putting up numbers in the 4th. If Nebraska controls the clock and makes keeps the game close to the last quarter, they will win.

Even if Mizzou gets past Nebraska, they get a face-full of OU all over again. I don't think they can pull that rabbit out of the hat twice.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #496 on: October 26, 2010, 07:09:15 AM

I think the stars should align and watch LSU crush Bama and Bama in turn destroy Auburn. A man can dream.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: October 26, 2010, 08:49:09 AM

I honestly can't figure out who would go to the SECCG if that happened.  Makes my head asplode.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #498 on: October 26, 2010, 08:56:35 AM

I honestly can't figure out who would go to the SECCG if that happened.  Makes my head asplode.

That's easy. Bama has 2 SEC losses if they lose to LSU, and they are out. Auburn would have 1 SEC loss to Bama. LSU would have one SEC loss to Auburn. Auburn has head-to-head on LSU and wins. Auburn goes to the title game.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: October 26, 2010, 08:57:56 AM

Yeah.  For some reason I had forgotten the SC loss counted as an SEC W loss.  Or maybe it was my brain's way of washing the memory.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #500 on: October 26, 2010, 09:02:01 AM

Have you gotten your Iron Bowl tickets, Snakecharmer?  This is going to be a hell of a year to be at the game.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: October 26, 2010, 09:23:57 AM

No, and I probably won't.  4 weeks before the game, and tickets at the 40 yd line are in the $800 range.  For one ticket.  I wouldn't want to watch it from the nosebleeds.  Besides, it's Thanksgiving weekend, and I'd rather spend 1600 plus on a kick ass, fully catered party at my house and watch it in 65" hi-def goodness from the comfort of my lazy boy.  And if Bama ends up getting blown out by the Newtontrain, I can take a couple extra shots of whiskey and go pass out.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #502 on: October 27, 2010, 09:52:17 AM

Well, looks like we'll really see what Oregon is made of this weekend when they play USC. 

Other fantastic games to look forward to with my picks to win.

Iowa versus MSU-  Iowa
Missouri versus Nebraska-  Nebraska
Stanford versus Washington-  UW
Arizona versus UCLA-  Arizona

I also think Texas is going to bounce back and mow down Baylor.
WayAbvPar

Reply #503 on: October 27, 2010, 11:26:18 AM

I have seen a few picks of UW over Stanford. I haven't seen Stanford much this year, but if they can run any kind of offense they should run away from UW. Their defense is just unbelievably incompetent. My favorite trick of theirs is when their corners play literally 8-10 yards off the receivers at the line of scrimmage, apparently to avoid being beat deep for big plays. Which is a decent strategy until you see the other team completing short-ish wide open passes which then result in huge plays because the defense not only can't cover, they can't fucking tackle.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #504 on: October 27, 2010, 11:44:09 AM

I have seen a few picks of UW over Stanford. I haven't seen Stanford much this year, but if they can run any kind of offense they should run away from UW. Their defense is just unbelievably incompetent. My favorite trick of theirs is when their corners play literally 8-10 yards off the receivers at the line of scrimmage, apparently to avoid being beat deep for big plays. Which is a decent strategy until you see the other team completing short-ish wide open passes which then result in huge plays because the defense not only can't cover, they can't fucking tackle.

UW's defense is one of the worst I've seen live.  Soft is the word for it.  Your corners play soft.  Your D line gets almost zero push.  Our second string quarterback completed something like 80% of his passes, threw for 200+ yard 2 tds, and ran for another 70 yards.  He was rarely under any pressure.  The tackling was a goddamn joke.

The offense didn't look much better. Locker played scared.  Once it was obvious he didn't want to run for fear of getting hit, it was open season.  He would have gotten killed if the refs didn't feel like it was OK on every play for your left tackle to commit blatant holding.  The biggest threat is your starting tailback, who is a beast. Your utility back is pretty decent also, but his name pronouced by the PA guys sounds like a local tea party canidate. It just felt like an easy offense to contain once our DBs stopped acting like morons.

UCLA is a trap game.  TRAAAAAP.  On paper and by our recent performances, Arizona should kill them.  Running first attacks without a credible passing game to back them up are something that normally we have no problem with at all.  Just can't let their defense or special teams let them get easy scores. 

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #505 on: October 27, 2010, 12:55:43 PM

Is AZ's quarterback healthy, Rasix?
Rasix

Reply #506 on: October 27, 2010, 01:11:49 PM

Is AZ's quarterback healthy, Rasix?

They think Foles might be OK for Stanford.  He actually threw warm up for the Washington game.  I have a feeling they'll stick to plan and he won't see any touches against UCLA.

Luckily he just has a minor knee sprain apparently.  He was lucky in that the WSU defender rolled up the back of his leg instead of pulling a Brady/Carson type manuver.  He was holding his leg like his season was over when it happened, however.  

Scott is a very good backup.  Even with the glut of good QBs in the Pac 10, he'd start at half the colleges easy. They must have worked with him a lot, because he throws a much better ball over just a year ago.  

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #507 on: October 27, 2010, 01:13:28 PM

Does he want to transfer?  Ohhhhh, I see.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #508 on: October 27, 2010, 01:19:50 PM

UCLA is all sorts of fucked up.  They go down to Texas and beat the hell out of them and then get beaten by Cal.  That doesn't make any sense. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: October 27, 2010, 01:40:02 PM

Hell, Cal doesn't make any sense. We blow people out or get blown out seemingly at random.

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: October 27, 2010, 09:02:33 PM

I gave up trying to predict who will actually win any given game in week three, this year.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #511 on: October 29, 2010, 06:12:20 AM

They think Foles might be OK for Stanford.  He actually threw warm up for the Washington game.  I have a feeling they'll stick to plan and he won't see any touches against UCLA.

That win versus Iowa is damned impressive, but good lord the end of AZs schedule is murder. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #512 on: October 29, 2010, 06:34:05 AM

Anyone else laff at Fla St's loss? I know I did.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #513 on: October 29, 2010, 08:28:57 AM

I laugh at every Florida State loss. 
Rasix

Reply #514 on: October 29, 2010, 08:57:14 AM

That win versus Iowa is damned impressive, but good lord the end of AZs schedule is murder. 

@Stanford
USC
@Oregon

Blarrrrrrrrrg.  If we win two of those, I'll be overjoyed. 

Stanford, we can beat, but it's on the road. USC is pretty dangerous this year, they've got nothing to play for and that offense can just be killer.  Barkley is playing really well.  And Oregon is just Oregon.  We could put 50 points on them and lose, because they just hung 60 on us.

As a consolation, we should absolutely obliterate ASU.  But, rivalry game.  Their D at times has been good.

-Rasix
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #515 on: October 29, 2010, 03:34:05 PM

Been poking around the upcoming schedules and had to laugh at how the top teams in the "best conference in the country" are all playing teams like La-Monroe, Chattanooga and Georgia State in November.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: October 29, 2010, 03:42:45 PM

Been poking around the upcoming schedules and had to laugh at how the top teams in the "best conference in the country" are all playing teams like La-Monroe, Chattanooga and Georgia State in November.

Gotta make sure you are rested for that all important championship game, am I right?

And yet their supporters say their schedules are harder.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #517 on: October 30, 2010, 05:36:16 AM

I'm sure you guys can find a way to convince everyone Boise State plays a tougher schedule than Auburn.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: October 30, 2010, 07:36:22 AM

(Big Ten guy here) I think the SEC is the best conference I just don't like it when they're all in your face about it.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #519 on: October 30, 2010, 08:41:53 AM

The Big Ten, SEC and PAC 10 are all a significant step ahead of the other conferences.  Who's "best" is really academic, even though the SEC has won a bunch of titles recently.  What matters is that the competition is extremely tough, in conference, from top to bottom.  The next tier includes the Big 12, ACC, Big East and MWC.  The MWC better enjoy it while they can though, because once Utah leaves they'll be hurt bad.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see TCU go to the Big 12 after this season, either.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: October 30, 2010, 04:21:52 PM

Utah's being replaced with Boise State and Nevada's joining the year after.  It's the WAC that's going to be hurt more than anything, although that's how these things go since the Southwest Conference blew up.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: October 30, 2010, 08:19:45 PM

God I hate playing Air Force. Complete pain in the ass. I'll take the ugly W though. Epic game next weekend.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: October 30, 2010, 08:58:26 PM

Lost in a savage beating, must be an even week.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: October 31, 2010, 11:20:48 PM

This is a bad sign. I'm already distracted and geeked up for next Sat. This is going to be a looooooooooooooong week at work.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #524 on: November 01, 2010, 07:40:43 AM

Now I just need an Oregon down week for them to take a loss, and a win by either Georgia or Alabama against Auburn, and suddenly we get what we've all been waiting for...The WAC v. Mountain West National Championship.

I really really really want this to happen so I can hear ESPN valiantly defend the BCS system as they watch their viewer numbers totally tank for the game they bought.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: