Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  (Read 398882 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: July 07, 2010, 05:13:14 PM

No, the blogging and f13 wouldn't go on my resume but they would invariably show up in a Google search of my name (along with lots of other boring things) and there's nothing I can do about that.  If my potential employer decides to confuse the two, at that point that'd be both our problems awesome, for real.

Edit: Potential employer, and that's being generous I suppose.

You are in for the most hilarious wake up call in a few years, kid.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: July 07, 2010, 05:16:20 PM

He should have a fine career in the service industry.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: July 07, 2010, 05:32:41 PM

Really now?

To Musashi's point (and tangentially Modern Angel's), it's not like I don't understand that assholes exist and that people can make mortal enemies through the course of their life.  I just don't think the possibility of someone wanting to do me serious, or not-so-serious, harm is cause to transgress against everyone else.  That's going to seem completely bonkers to some, I know.

Anyway, since we're sort of at first-principles, I'll bow out, don't want to overstay my welcome.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: July 07, 2010, 05:35:11 PM

Really now?

To Musashi's point (and tangentially Modern Angel's), it's not like I don't understand that assholes exist and that people can make mortal enemies through the course of their life.  I just don't think the possibility of someone wanting to do me serious, or not-so-serious, harm is cause to transgress against everyone else.  That's going to seem completely bonkers to some, I know.

Anyway, since we're sort of at first-principles, I'll bow out, don't want to overstay my welcome.

I just don't think you realize how seriously some employers take things that you would just consider "not important."  You dismiss it as "well they just shouldn't take it into account" and maybe they shouldn't but they do.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #319 on: July 07, 2010, 06:01:20 PM

No, he's under the delusion that he's special and unique and somehow his abilities will shine through all prejudice.  Don't you remember being the same way before you hit the professional world and realized just how interchangeable you are?

Or maybe I just feel that way about employees because I used to manage.  I certainly had some valuable ones but nobody was irreplaceable.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: July 07, 2010, 07:17:40 PM

I think privacy standards will change. There's no way they really can't because there are too many people with too many "unacceptable" things out there. But they haven't yet.

And even if standards do change, that's still very very different from handing every freako stalker in game my legal name.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #321 on: July 07, 2010, 07:23:33 PM

Blizzard to everyone: Shut up, nerds. It's happening.

edit for work browsing.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: July 07, 2010, 07:26:14 PM

edit for work browsing.

You know, I never thought "I wish I knew the real name of the guy who posted the ASCII art of Captian Picard blowing Barney the Dinosaur." I just thought, "Man, Blizz needs to balls up and moderate their goddamn forums."

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: July 07, 2010, 07:27:11 PM

edit for work browsing.

TLDR Version:
"Don't like it, Don't Post.  Everyone complaining is a troll anyway." swamp poop
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: July 07, 2010, 07:34:08 PM

(I am probably far too old and cranky to attract any new lovelorn stalkers, although it's possible I would still get some I WILL MAKE THAT BITCH SHUT UP ones)

I actually elected to stalk Ingmar, you scare me.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: July 07, 2010, 08:15:18 PM

I'm with the guys that are surmising that this is mostly an effort to stealth-nuke their forums.  It's not like the OForums were worthwhile before, so this just reduces their moderation load.  If the software tells you that your post will be laid bare before the intertubes with your real name attached, you have nobody but yourself to blame for clicking 'Post'.

The exposure of RealIDs to addons without any sort of checks is a bit more troublesome, particularly since they initially pushed RealID as an opt-in.  Fortunately, I bailed out of the game prior to the battle.net integration, so I can just watch the trainwreck in progress.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 08:24:12 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #326 on: July 07, 2010, 08:29:29 PM

(I am probably far too old and cranky to attract any new lovelorn stalkers, although it's possible I would still get some I WILL MAKE THAT BITCH SHUT UP ones)

Story of my life. Seriously, most of the dudes we meet online develop mancrushes on Ingmar, it's pretty adorable.

God Save the Horn Players
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: July 07, 2010, 08:36:15 PM

Story of my life. Seriously, most of the dudes we meet online develop mancrushes on Ingmar, it's pretty adorable.

*shrug* He's got nice legs in a skirt.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #328 on: July 07, 2010, 08:37:35 PM

Hey, I'm not questioning it! I'm pretty fond of him myself.

God Save the Horn Players
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: July 07, 2010, 08:37:48 PM

I'm with the guys that are surmising that this is mostly an effort to stealth-nuke their forums.  It's not like the OForums were worthwhile before, so this just reduces their moderation load.  If the software tells you that your post will be laid bare before the intertubes with your real name attached, you have nobody but yourself to blame for clicking 'Post'.

The exposure of RealIDs to addons without any sort of checks is a bit more troublesome, particularly since they initially pushed RealID as an opt-in.  Fortunately, I bailed out of the game prior to the battle.net integration, so I can just watch the trainwreck in progress.

Dude, was it really so broken that they needed to go through all this fallout they so accurately predicted?  What would make it worth it?  Oh, I know.  Money.  Money from Facebook ads.  And microtrans money from Facebook apps.  Please believe it.

AKA Gyoza
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: July 07, 2010, 08:48:14 PM

Dude, was it really so broken that they needed to go through all this fallout they so accurately predicted?  What would make it worth it?  Oh, I know.  Money.  Money from Facebook ads.  And microtrans money from Facebook apps.  Please believe it.

I'm with you - this is a pretty terrible thing all the way around, and whether the order came from within Blizz itself or from Kotick, et. al. it's a pretty heinous thing to do to your fans.  Like I said - I'm glad I haven't played in a while.    Ultimately though, I think that some guy just figured they'd spend less on support if they just tacnuked their forums.

I hope there's a mass exodus from their games when this goes live just to ensure that nobody else gets the idea that this is a viable way to do business, but between the retarded Facebook kids and the legions of addicts that'll endure pretty much anything for 'just one more drop', I think that we may well be watching 'something important' re: online gaming happening.

That said, this will provide not just a little amusement in the short-term either way.  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 09:01:35 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: July 07, 2010, 09:34:09 PM

That's the part of this that I really don't like. Real names on the forums is annoying and will probably kill their usefulness, but I can just opt out of the forums, though I really do consider tech support and customer service part of what you pay for with the game. But with them putting RealID into everything else, how long is it going to be until you can't effectively play the game without using your real name? You currently can't use cross-realm and cross-game chat without revealing it, and that's a pretty big feature. As time goes on, there will probably be more major features off-limits to character names. I suspect players will push it too, how many raiding guilds will require people to RealID friend guild officers so they can coordinate things easily?

And they're not being careful with handing out your information or giving you control over it. It's not just your Real ID friends that see your real name, any friends of Real ID friends see it. Right now, unless you go to parental controls and disable Real ID, any add-on can pull your real name and send that info to any or everyone on your server. According to Blizzard's privacy page, this information should only be shared either on an opt-in basis or with verified third parties, but that's not the case. For the first 5 years of the game, you only had to worry about a malicious add-on messing up your game stuff, but now you have to trust add-ons enough to reveal personal information to them.

The real name on forums thing is really just the tip of the iceberg, unless they change their plans I think that within the next year you should only play WOW if you're fine with playing under your given name or if you use a fake name to register. You've got high odds of it being revealed either accidentally or deliberately either on the google-indexed forums or to some random third party even if you choose not to use any new features.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #332 on: July 07, 2010, 10:06:01 PM

So I didn't read all ten pages of this thread, but I get the feeling most people are against this.  I think it's awesome.  The forums are bullshit.  It's just a lot of dancing to try and get a blue response.  Or worse.  Personally, I've never been big into posting, despite some hardcore MMO stints.  If I was going to post, I'd post in the guild forums.  But really, I never saw the need to post on the official forums. 

I do sympathize with people who are worried about professional contacts Googling their names and seeing a shitload of Warcraft posts.  That would be the only reason I wouldn't post.  And ultimately, big deal? Who cares about posting on the official forums?  I mean does anyone really care?  I'm seeing a lot of bitching but I don't get why it's so damn important.  Doesn't everyone pretty much just lurk?  Where is the community on the official forums? 

I think this will cut down on the vast majority of bullshit that goes on in the forums.  This will just make it easier for me to glean information from them when I lurk. 
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: July 07, 2010, 10:22:49 PM

Anyone who thinks this is being done to protect us from the nasty trolls needs to pull their head out of their naive ass.  It has everything to do with Blizzard's recent deal with Facebook.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/05/blizzard-and-facebooks-friendly-social-networking-deal-launches-with-starcraft-ii-/1
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: July 07, 2010, 10:34:36 PM

I don't think it's being done to protect me.  I just see all positives for me personally from this.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: July 07, 2010, 10:37:56 PM

I don't think it's being done to protect me.  I just see all positives for me personally from this.

Then you're very shortsighted
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #336 on: July 07, 2010, 10:38:06 PM

Like someone being able to gank your name via addon? Yah, that's swell.

-Rasix
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: July 07, 2010, 10:47:36 PM

I don't think it's being done to protect me.  I just see all positives for me personally from this.

Why?  I don't post.  This only improves the signal to noise ratio for lurkers.  Everyone needs to relax.

edited
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: July 07, 2010, 10:56:24 PM

Why?  I don't post.  This only improves the signal to noise ratio for lurkers.  Everyone needs to relax.

I'm just unclear on step 2. Blizz doesn't moderate their forums beyond a bare minimum of bare minimums, so how is showing Assy McAsses' real name going to stop him from posting garbage? Maybe it'll even up the stakes, "Assy, my man, I can't believe you posted that! High five!"

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: July 07, 2010, 10:58:40 PM

So you feel this Real ID thing has seen an entirely positive development since it was revealed?

Also, nobody here really cares about the official forums as discussion resource. That isn't what this is about.

Edit: Mandatory clarification...

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: July 07, 2010, 10:58:57 PM

And ultimately, big deal? Who cares about posting on the official forums?  I mean does anyone really care?

People who recruit using guild recruitment, who need tech support or customer support, and new players in the getting started forum just to name a few. The general forum is worthless, but there's a lot of useful stuff in other forums regardless of whether you use it or not. The fact that someone cannot make a class guide or try to recruit for a guild in the official forums without attaching their real name really will cut down on some of the useful information out there.

Oh, and parents who end up with their real name on a bunch of posts because they followed Blizzard's procedures and didn't realize they'd need to research and follow the news continuously on parental controls in a game to avoid personal information being published might care too.

I'm seeing a lot of bitching but I don't get why it's so damn important.

Go to the official forums, post "Hi I'm [Real Name], I don't see what the problem is with releasing personal information like this" and you'll get a phone call explaining the problem. Or many phone calls. Or Pizzas delivered. Aside from the damage to the usefulness that the forums do have, releasing personal information is a big deal.

I think this will cut down on the vast majority of bullshit that goes on in the forums.  This will just make it easier for me to glean information from them when I lurk... Why?  I don't post.  This only improves the signal to noise ratio for lurkers.  Everyone needs to relax.

Burning your house to the ground prevents termites from doing damage to it, but it isn't really a good plan. It won't be easier for you to glean information while lurking if people don't post information in the first place because they don't wish to do so under their real name, while a lot of trolls will either use a fake name on an account or just don't care. This will reduce the total number of posts on the forum, but it's very unlikely that it will increase the signal to noise ratio - I expect it to reduce far, far more signal than noise.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: July 07, 2010, 11:14:58 PM

I don't think it's being done to protect me.  I just see all positives for me personally from this.

edited

Because some of us do post.  I've posted numerous times in the technical/bug forums looking for advice with issues that come up over the years.  Now?  Not  a chance.  

Besides, I can see a time when your real name will be used in game:

[2. Trade] [Aliasguy@Joe Bloggins]: LF enchanter, have mats will tip

Don't think it will happen?  

We have no plans to allow PvE players to transfer to PvP realms.

We have no plans of allowing players on PvP realms to create characters of both factions on the same account.

We have no plans of selling anything that will directly affect gameplay, only cosmetic changes.

Battle.net is optional.

Real ID is a system designed to be used with people you know and trust in real life.

Sound familiar.

Just like soe and the whole swg/nge thing, Blizzard/Activision seem willing to lose some of the customers they have in the hopes that they will gain more in return with the whole integrated social networking thing.  They want to attract the millions of people playing Facebook games.  However, the number of people playing those games are on the decline and the people who play them (like my 60 year old aunt and 42 year old cousin) generally aren't gamers and have zero interest in playing the type of games Blizzard/Activision makes.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: July 07, 2010, 11:16:00 PM

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of hyperbole.  Slippery slope argument is like, the most elemental fucknut argument that everyone learned in freshman debate class.  All anyone ever does is string out the opposing side of the argument they don't like into its most absurdly cruel stretch of the imagination. Then none of that shit they raised hell about ever comes to fruition. This change will be a net positive, guaranteed.

Of course there will be people who shy away from positive contributions due to privacy concerns.  And of course there will still be plenty of people willing to post class guides and protips.  But the potential for massively undercutting all the rampant and flagrant douchebaggery is staggering.  If you remove all that douchebaggery the forums become vastly more usable for finding news and information.

*edited
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:24:33 PM by dusematic »
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: July 07, 2010, 11:18:18 PM

Dude.  Do you realize how ironic your post is?

Anyway.  It's not really hyperbole.  They're going to sell you shit on Facebook.  Plan on it.

AKA Gyoza
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: July 07, 2010, 11:20:36 PM

Dude.  Do you realize how ironic your post is?

Anyway.  It's not really hyperbole.  They're going to sell you shit on Facebook.  Plan on it.

No, I don't.  I mean, I see why you THINK it is.  But it's not.

Edit:  They've been selling shit on B.net for years.  Note the huge ad banner on top.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: July 07, 2010, 11:25:01 PM

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of hyperbole.  Slippery slope argument is like, the most elemental fucknut argument that everyone learned in freshman debate class.  All anyone ever does is string out the opposing side of the argument they don't like into its most absurdly cruel stretch of the imagination.  This change will be a net positive, guaranteed.

Of course there will be people who shy away from positive contributions due to privacy concerns.  And of course there will still be plenty of people willing to post class guides and protips.  But the potential for massively undercutting all the rampant and flagrant douchebaggery is staggering.  If you remove all that douchebaggery the forums become vastly more usable for finding news and information.

*edited

Trolls will stay.  Helpful and legitimate posters will leave. 
apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #346 on: July 07, 2010, 11:29:31 PM

I think it's a fair guess but it's not like there are no skeletons in the US version because of China.

Hmm, I thought the no-skeletons thing in Chinese WoW was a rumour that had been quashed some time ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong someone but I seem to remember hearing that there is no taboo about skeletons in China and that it was a lie used to cover up obstructions put in WoW's path by the cultural ministry (or something similar) either because of a general attempt to reduce video game playing amongst the youth or as a protectionist measure in favour of China's own games developers.

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: July 07, 2010, 11:32:47 PM

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of hyperbole.  Slippery slope argument is like, the most elemental fucknut argument that everyone learned in freshman debate class.  All anyone ever does is string out the opposing side of the argument they don't like into its most absurdly cruel stretch of the imagination.  This change will be a net positive, guaranteed.

*edited

Trolls will stay.  Helpful and legitimate posters will leave.  

I doubt that.  But we shall see.  If the forums are generally a better place once this all goes live will you agree with me or find another reason to disagree?  This is one of those issues where people tend to take a dogmatic approach.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:35:53 PM by dusematic »
Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: July 07, 2010, 11:38:36 PM

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of hyperbole.  Slippery slope argument is like, the most elemental fucknut argument that everyone learned in freshman debate class.  All anyone ever does is string out the opposing side of the argument they don't like into its most absurdly cruel stretch of the imagination.  

Randomly accusing people of 'slipperly slope argument'  and 'hyperbole' without specifying what is supposedly hyperbole or slippery slope is like, the most elemental forum warrior argument that everyone learned in reading a list of logical fallacies. All anyone ever does is accuse the opposing side of some kind of fallacy without justifying it, then act like they one the argument.

No one has yet to provide any reason to believe that this change will actually remove douchbaggery from the forums. Some people have an account in another person's name, some used a fake name to register, some will create a fake name, some just don't care. I'm not sure how you expect this to make the forums more useful for finding news, since they sticky any news announcements, and you can go to a blue tracker site if you just want to see Blizzard's posts.

You also haven't provided an explanation of why you think that plenty of people will be willing to post class guides and tips. There are already only a limited number of people writing class guides, and many of them have not been updated in quite some time, so it doesn't sound like there are 'plenty' at the moment even without the changes. Instead of having 'anyone who plays and looks at the forums' giving protips, you reduce the pool to 'anyone who plays and looks at the forums and doesn't mind posting under their real name', which is a lot fewer people. Have you taken my 'post your name on the official forums stating that you don't think releasing names is a problem' challenge yet?

If you burn your house to the ground, the potential for termite damage is much less. It's still not a good plan. Releasing personal information about everyone who plays in order to stop people who might not have entered their real personal information from trolling is not a good plan.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: July 07, 2010, 11:52:52 PM

Dude.  Do you realize how ironic your post is?

Anyway.  It's not really hyperbole.  They're going to sell you shit on Facebook.  Plan on it.

No, I don't.  I mean, I see why you THINK it is.  But it's not.

Edit:  They've been selling shit on B.net for years.  Note the huge ad banner on top.

Nice.  That banner doesn't have any personal information, and neither does your old handle on B.net.  Facebook does.  It's not simply a matter of not posting on forums.  There's more.  If this works for Blizzard, then what's to stop every swinging dick from using Facebook as a login platform for their games.  Think of the ease at which they'll be able to moderate their forums!  That's not what this is about, guy. 

OH.  But think of how awesome it will be to live in a world where everyone's video game achievements are spammed on their Facebook accounts.  It will force everyone to look at us deviant gamers in a different light when they realize just how many of us there are.  But yea, I can opt out still, I guess.  When I whack a foozle and the Facebook window comes up and asks me if I'd like to share this glorious achievement with everyone I know, I can just click no.  How awesome does that sound?  Come on.

You just killed your 100th skeleton!  Would you like to share this accomplishment with your friends?

"Sorry you guys died there.  Facebook window popped up."

AKA Gyoza
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  
Jump to: