Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend.  (Read 37244 times)
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: December 24, 2009, 09:16:52 PM

I wish they'd implemented trading before this stupid crafting system.  I got a fourth ubersaw today, I could give away all of them and still only be down about 1/3 the cost of someone making one from scratch.

Otherwise, I'm generally liking the soldier stuff (the pickaxe not so much, but whatever), but the demoman gear is pissing me off.  They can equip the sword and shield and run around meleeing people, get a kill, and then hit their charge button to get out of the room before anyone can kill them.  Then they come back with more health and do it again.  Then they can run around with more health than a soldier, and whenever they hit their charge, they can move faster than a scout and insta-kill half the classes.  Which would be annoying in itself, but they can do this while carrying the damn intel, which is crazy.  Come up on a room full of defenders, hit the charge, be through and out before anyone can fire twice, and nobody can catch up with you.  Hitting an uber with the intel won't work, bonk won't work, cloaking won't work, so why does this charge thing work?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #106 on: December 24, 2009, 09:44:44 PM

I suspect the very next patch will make the charge not work with the intel.  The first time I saw someone charging with the intel I knew that tactic's days had to be numbered.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #107 on: December 24, 2009, 09:58:47 PM

They could do that, but you're stuck with melee when you're carrying the intel this way. Bonk should work though, surprised to hear it doesn't.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #108 on: December 24, 2009, 10:11:11 PM

The shield charge thing doesn't limit you to melee.  Doesn't really matter anyway.  For carrying the intel you'd just use it to put distance between yourself and pursuers, and then run normally while lobbing pipebombs behind you.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: December 25, 2009, 05:41:46 AM

I wish they'd implemented trading before this stupid crafting system.  I got a fourth ubersaw today, I could give away all of them and still only be down about 1/3 the cost of someone making one from scratch.

Otherwise, I'm generally liking the soldier stuff (the pickaxe not so much, but whatever), but the demoman gear is pissing me off.  They can equip the sword and shield and run around meleeing people, get a kill, and then hit their charge button to get out of the room before anyone can kill them.  Then they come back with more health and do it again.  Then they can run around with more health than a soldier, and whenever they hit their charge, they can move faster than a scout and insta-kill half the classes.  Which would be annoying in itself, but they can do this while carrying the damn intel, which is crazy.  Come up on a room full of defenders, hit the charge, be through and out before anyone can fire twice, and nobody can catch up with you.  Hitting an uber with the intel won't work, bonk won't work, cloaking won't work, so why does this charge thing work?

Its still slower than sticky jumping, though of course you have to trade health to do that.   I have a feeling they will take it out though.  Frankly the only weapon I'm using for "real" is the pickaxe.  The Direct Hit is ok, but I'm not convinced the extra damage is worth the splash loss on most maps save maybe arena where it is literally only death match.  The bugle is nice, but you really only need one per team.  The Scottish Resistance is just not as good as the regular sticky launcher period, the game is fast paced enough that I rarely want to be sitting back and setting up 1 sticky trap let alone multiples, even on defense.  The sword and shield are fun shenanigans, but isn't actually that effective against someone head on, as even with the charge pretty much any class can take you out as long as they don't miss.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: December 25, 2009, 05:43:40 AM

They could do that, but you're stuck with melee when you're carrying the intel this way. Bonk should work though, surprised to hear it doesn't.

Bonk was pretty overpowered when you could carry intel.  If you were dedicated enough you just inch an intel out of the enemy base with bonk-die-respawn-runback-repeat, it was cheesy but actually really effective.  Now the best you can do with bonk in that regard is to get free touches on the flag to prevent it from returning to base, still useful, but I think more fair.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #111 on: December 30, 2009, 12:45:28 AM

Haha, I just got that "Gore-a!  Gore-a!  Gore-a!" achievement and it was fucking sweet.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #112 on: December 30, 2009, 03:34:29 PM

Someone at Valve loves me and gave me the Eyelander and buckler for free, in addition to giving me the Soldier pickaxe I was owed.

I REALLY liked the update. Even if I stink with Demo, the new items make the class playable for me now.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: December 30, 2009, 04:10:45 PM

Not worth another thread, but fairly well done:

The 12 Days of Tf2
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: January 08, 2010, 12:10:51 PM

A neat rocket jumping video... I'm going to have to download this map later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9_E5faIHOw
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: May 06, 2010, 02:38:16 PM

Veteran tags incoming

AND

Coming Soon Engineers!

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 09, 2010, 07:50:05 AM

Oh, they added a Beta-era badge... which I apparently have now?  Okay.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
schild
Administrator

Reply #117 on: May 09, 2010, 08:17:14 AM

Yea, I have one of those equipped. Desperately exciting. Guess they had to fill that accessory clothing slot.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: May 09, 2010, 01:36:50 PM

Engy is my most played class and I gotta say... this is going to suck...
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 09, 2010, 08:29:55 PM

The medal was to satisfy the Steam forum troglodytes. They've been begging for another way to measure their epeen.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: May 11, 2010, 02:31:05 AM

Just caved and bought this after playing it on a friend's compy. Is there a noob quickstart guide on how all the systems work? A THIS-IS-WHAT-A-HAT-IS type of thing would be nice.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 11, 2010, 05:33:23 AM

Just caved and bought this after playing it on a friend's compy. Is there a noob quickstart guide on how all the systems work? A THIS-IS-WHAT-A-HAT-IS type of thing would be nice.

Hats do nothing, as far as I know.  They're purely cosmetic.

There are three ways to "unlock" things in game, unless I'm forgetting one: Achievements, Crafting, and "Random Unlocks"

Random unlocks happen randomly over time (e.g. every hour you've got a 50% chance to find a new weapon or hat, numbers pulled directly from my ass).  These can be any weapon or hat, including ones you already have unlocked.

Achievements allow you to unlock specific weapons for the class.  For example, completing 16 Scout achievements will finish your "Scout Milestone II" achievement, and unlock the Scout's Sandman weapon.  Most hats don't have an achievement associated with them (except the Ghastly Gibus) so you'll be forced to rely on crafting or random unlocks for them.

Crafting is also possible, but it takes retarded amounts of items to do.  It'll be way easier to just unlock things by achievements, usually.  It can be used to craft spare weapons into hats and junk, just make sure you don't break down your last remaining copy of a weapon or you'll lose it until you can re-craft it.  List of recipies, if you're interested.

In fact, if you're lost, a lot of basic info can be found on that wiki.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: May 11, 2010, 09:49:33 AM

Class upgrades that have made tf2 a better game, an exhaustive listing:

Spy
I dunno pyro maybe?

fin.

So the odds are not looking good.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #123 on: May 11, 2010, 09:55:37 AM

Crafting is also possible, but it takes retarded amounts of items to do.  It'll be way easier to just unlock things by achievements, usually.  It can be used to craft spare weapons into hats and junk, just make sure you don't break down your last remaining copy of a weapon or you'll lose it until you can re-craft it.  List of recipies, if you're interested.

Note that if you end up with two duplicate hats from random drops (which I actually did), you can craft them into one random hat.  So there's that.

I've also been diligently melting down my extra weapons and hoarding metal.  I'm at 2 refined and 1 reclaimed metal, so I only need 18 (out of 81) more weapons for a new random hat.  Currently the random drops happen about 1 per hour, so it shouldn't be much longer.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #124 on: May 11, 2010, 12:29:15 PM

Spy
I dunno pyro maybe?

fin.

You're insane.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:09:58 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 11, 2010, 01:06:32 PM

What about his insane?

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: May 11, 2010, 03:12:59 PM

Spy
I dunno pyro maybe?

fin.

You're insane.

Probably, but what, you don't like the spy? I thought new watches were neat enough, and they fixed the broken revolver.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: May 11, 2010, 03:38:15 PM

Probably, but what, you don't like the spy? I thought new watches were neat enough, and they fixed the broken revolver.

Personally, I hated the watches.  With the new motion sensitive watch, they can literally spend the entire match cloaked, and the dead ringer watch means that even if you kill one, you don't know if he's really dead or not.  So now you have to spend the whole match shooting into every corner and down every hallway because even if you haven't seen a spy in ten minutes, even if you just killed the spy, he might still be there.

Most of the other updates were decent, though.  I liked the medic and heavy ones, especially.

But what's most worrying to me is the idea that when this pack is released, it's going to be another "single class" update.  Whole maps of engineers leapfrogging sentries trying desperately to get a kill against the two people on the enemy team not babysitting a dispenser.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #128 on: May 11, 2010, 03:41:38 PM

That damn revolver is overpowered imo.  Ohhhhh, I see.

But no, the spy update was fine.  I just think all the updates made the game better.  Some certainly could have been done better than others, but I feel they all helped the game out.  The inevitable period of everybody playing one class right after the patch sucks, but thats bout the only draw back to any of the updates.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 11, 2010, 04:43:56 PM

Originally they said they were going to avoid shipping the engineer on his own to prevent the single class syndrome. I'm hoping they roll out some new toys for his natural enemies as well.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #130 on: May 11, 2010, 05:01:36 PM

Personally, I hated the watches.  With the new motion sensitive watch, they can literally spend the entire match cloaked, and the dead ringer watch means that even if you kill one, you don't know if he's really dead or not.  So now you have to spend the whole match shooting into every corner and down every hallway because even if you haven't seen a spy in ten minutes, even if you just killed the spy, he might still be there.

Most of the other updates were decent, though.  I liked the medic and heavy ones, especially.

But what's most worrying to me is the idea that when this pack is released, it's going to be another "single class" update.  Whole maps of engineers leapfrogging sentries trying desperately to get a kill against the two people on the enemy team not babysitting a dispenser.

Any spy that spends that much time cloaked is worthless. And the dr is only annoying if your team doesn't have a pyro (or is just has tunnel vision and doesn't know how to check for spies).

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Strazos

Reply #131 on: May 11, 2010, 05:05:03 PM

No, the dead ringer is annoying because it gives a spy who just fucked up a few moments of invulnerability.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 11, 2010, 05:19:25 PM

No, the dead ringer is annoying because it gives a spy who just fucked up a few moments of invulnerability.

Yea, that needs to go.  Nothing like chaingunning the shit out of a burning invisible spy, only to realize that you've just wasted all your bullets.

AKA Gyoza
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #133 on: May 11, 2010, 05:37:30 PM

I found playing as a medic until I sort of knew the map layouts to be a decent way to learn the game. You just latch onto someone (a heavy or pyro are my favorites) and follow his ass around. When he dies, you latch onto someone else. Bear in mind I had never really played anything FPS-y before TF2, so the medic had the added bonus of me not having to actually try to shoot anyone.  awesome, for real

God Save the Horn Players
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #134 on: May 11, 2010, 05:56:10 PM

Yea, that needs to go.  Nothing like chaingunning the shit out of a burning invisible spy, only to realize that you've just wasted all your bullets.

You people are exactly the reason why dr spies get away with being the nuisance that they are. Chase him down, and kill him. Every time.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Strazos

Reply #135 on: May 11, 2010, 06:35:17 PM

Dude, they're invulnerable and then can just flip the cloak back on. Can also be tough to chase down if you're not next to the spy.

Fear the Backstab!
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: May 11, 2010, 09:06:03 PM

They aren't invulnerable, just cloaked. They burn just fine.  awesome, for real
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #137 on: May 12, 2010, 01:24:10 AM

Dude, they're invulnerable and then can just flip the cloak back on.

No.  Once they decloak, they are sitting ducks for something like 15 seconds until it fully recharges.  Just keep shooting and follow the shimmer in the air.  Or listen for the loud decloaking sound.  One way or another, they are now decloaked, unable to cloak again, and very squishy.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: May 12, 2010, 02:02:49 PM

When spies get hit by fire and they're using Dead Ringer, they get 6.5 seconds of 90% reduced damage.  The Dead Ringer knocks off the fire, but usually they're immediately lit again - taking only 10% of the fire's damage.  So you can see their outline, like you normally could an regularly invisible spy who's been hit by fire.  But they're taking 90% reduced damage.  It's incredibly frustrating to try to determine whether you're shooting at a regular spy who just got de-cloaked by fire, or one who's got Dead Ringer and functionally invulnerable.  So you pretty much have to shoot him.  And 6.5 seconds of sustained fire is pretty much all your ammo.  Also for a good spy, 6.5 seconds is more than enough to find a way to disappear whether they're on fire or not.  So you're pretty much not going to kill them without a sniper headshot.

Basically, Dead Ringer is so powerful in the right hands that I don't really think it deserves that damage reduction.  Or at least take away the sustained DR, and just give 90% reduced damage on the first hit - the one that pops the Dead Ringer.  That is if fire is supposed to be the rock to the scissors, anyway.

AKA Gyoza
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: May 12, 2010, 03:57:54 PM

Now for something completely different: Portal guns in TF2
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend.  
Jump to: