Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:43:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend.  (Read 37247 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

on: December 10, 2009, 09:33:03 AM

beer geek.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 09:41:55 AM

Demoman / Soldier update ?  Heart

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:54:44 AM

Soliderman up in than hoe!
Who has more Demo than Demoman? Demoman now break a man!

This will be epic.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:56:34 AM

I love valve  Heart
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 12:28:09 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay  awesome, for real

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:33:19 PM

I can't wait to see how obsolete the engineer is after this update  ACK!

I mean, they are already pretty useless against a team that has any idea how to play the game (which is admittedly pretty rare to find in a public server), but upgrade arguably the two greatest engineer killing classes (though the soldier isn't great) and you may as well just get an extra heavy out.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 12:39:14 PM

Yes, but that just means when they do the Engineer update last, they'll uber buff him to attempt to balance  awesome, for real.

Anyways, great news!  Soldier is still my class of choice, nice they finally get an upgrade (with Demoman 2nd favorite).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 01:08:31 PM

I mean, they are already pretty useless against a team that has any idea how to play the game (which is admittedly pretty rare to find in a public server), but upgrade arguably the two greatest engineer killing classes (though the soldier isn't great) and you may as well just get an extra heavy out.

I'm personally hoping for some stealth nerfs to both classes as part of this update.

For example, I think it'd be dandy if demomen had to choose between being able to blow up buildings really well and being able to blow up people really well.  Split the sticky bomb launcher into one gun that does 110% damage to people and 50% damage to buildings, and another gun that does the reverse.  For soldiers, you could do something like scale back rocket jumping and knockback for the standard gun and put it into a special gun that has better knockback but worse damage.

Probably won't happen, since I don't think Valve shares my view that demo/soldier spam is overpowered, but I'm pretty sure they won't outright buff them either.  Most of the previous class updates have been pretty good about that.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 01:47:29 PM

Spam isn't really an issue to be honest.  If there is a legitimate concern about demo/soldiers it is that they have a really high skill ceiling due to their ability to leverage advanced mobility. (Same with the scout, actually).  

I'm hoping that the new weapons give some options to less skilled players that give them something more fun/interesting to do than spam, while leaving the other weapons alone because I think that soldier and demo play really well as is at a high level.

Edit: Spam might seem like a bigger issue if you frequently/only play Attack/Defend maps which tend to have a lot of choke points and area denial can be achieved by spamming it with multiple demos/soldiers.  On 5 point maps, it is often less of an issue.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:52:38 PM by Malakili »
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 03:04:42 PM

Closing the skill gap between bad players using demoman and solider and good players using demoman and solider will be met with much applause and tears. It will be interesting. I really want heat seeking rockets! But I have the weird feeling that he will get grenades...
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:41:23 PM

Looks really bizarre to me.  So, they're updating both the demo and soldier, but one class is getting four weapons and one is getting three.  Which one gets four depends on whether more soldiers kill demos or demos kill soldiers over the next week... am I reading that right?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 06:54:22 PM

I think you are correct.  And I predict that the soldier is going to win because that's the class the dickwavers tend to favor more, never mind that in a straight up fight the soldier has the advantage.  For myself, I think I'm going to be playing a lot of demo next week.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:17:39 PM

I secretly suspect that it'll be 3 weapons a piece and the 7th is going to be the engineer update
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:23:30 PM

I would've thought it was clever if the 7th weapon was an item for the engineer that helped him kill that sort of character better. Just something incredibly situational and ridiculous. As it stands, ehhhh, whatever. I'd have to reinstall TF2.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:59:33 PM

Whatever, I'll still play sniper.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 08:08:20 PM

Was playing some. As much as I get excited about these things, as soon as I log in and the teams are all filled with just the update classes, I always quit.  I play a lot of demo and soldier, but when the whole server is filled with these too classes...well, its just a clusterfuck of explosions
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 09:47:03 PM

With the other updates I'd just have fun playing the obvious counter class when FotM syndrome set in, but masses of demos and soldiers don't really have counters other than more of the same.

Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 10:42:58 PM

Yeah, it's basically ruined the game for the rest of the week.  cry
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 01:22:02 AM

Yeah, it's basically ruined the game for the rest of the week.  cry

The rest of the week?  The achievements and items aren't even live yet.  It's going to be like this for a while.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 09:01:23 AM

beer geek.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 11:12:08 AM

I should reinstall and play a Soldier to help the Demoman count. awesome, for real

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 11:17:48 AM

I should reinstall and play a Soldier to help the Demoman count. awesome, for real

I actually came to a similar conclusion last night.  The soldier/demoman matchup is ridiculously imbalanced at most levels of play.  After unintentionally feeding a bunch of demoman kills to soldiers I decided it would be more fun to go soldier and practice my melee skills on demomen.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 11:55:52 AM

That was my thinking too. I'm a terrible, terrible soldier. And I'm not much better at the demoman.

God Save the Horn Players
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 02:20:13 PM

Seems like a good time to play a spy.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 02:24:25 PM

Yeah, I saw a lot of gibs coming out of thin air last night from people who thought the same thing.   awesome, for real 

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 05:12:59 PM

Oddly enough, I'm kind of digging all these Demos and Soldiers.  It's a bit like playing insta-gib awesome, for real.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 05:21:30 PM

I'm just getting in to TF2. Played TF a long time ago. Keep dying. This game is tough.
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 12:24:35 AM

Do bots count towards the kill count? Wondering if we'll start seeing Team Demo or Team Soldier servers with nothing but the opposite class bots with insta-spawn.

It hasn't hit too hard on the server I normally play, haven't seen a huge difference in demo/soldier/everyone else ratio. You would think it would be a good time to go spy, but demo + soldier spam everywhere is kind of  ACK!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 01:49:13 AM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 02:56:36 AM

Fuck you all.  Go Soldier!!!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 03:00:06 AM

The Propaganda page is full of so much win.

But wait! Against all the rules of contest creation, there is STILL MORE! Because even if you don’t win ANY of the prizes listed above, Gabe Newell might take a liking to your poster and AWARD SOME POINTS to the side of your choice in the Soldier/Demo War. Is this fair? No! Does Gabe care? Not even slightly!

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Strazos

Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 03:48:07 PM

Check out the link on that page to the vaguely racist cartoon.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 06:10:52 PM

The one about hats? How is that racist?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 06:28:59 PM

"You are as presumptuous as you are poor and Irish" I'm guessing.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Strazos

Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 08:27:47 PM

I don't mean to say I was offended or anything, because I chuckled at it, but still.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend.  
Jump to: