Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend.  (Read 37246 times)
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #70 on: December 17, 2009, 06:25:16 AM

Not a fan of Scottish Resistance, stupid camping demos.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 17, 2009, 07:19:47 AM

Equalizer would be worth using, more as an occasional run buff than anything else.

Direct hit and Scottish Resistance seem like reasonable playstyle options - though Direct Hit sounds like it might be too strong.

The other three... jesus christ  Facepalm

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: December 17, 2009, 07:22:29 AM

Depends what 'only the ones you're looking at will detonate' really means.

If the demo needs line of sight (not just facing in the right direction) it'll be hard to exploit.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 17, 2009, 08:32:18 AM

I think they are actually trying to encourage camping demos with this.  Sticky deathmatching is definitely a more viable strategy than they originally intended, and even after their nerf to it, its still incredibly important to be proficient at it as a demoman.  I think they are trying to get demos to play more defensively (as originally) with the Scottish Resistance. 

I don't intend on using it though, too much loss of utility.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 17, 2009, 08:50:53 AM

I was actually thinking Scottish Resistance could mess with sticky jumping, and that is probably the first thing I would test IF I happen to unlock this. Will probably install TF2 at home again sometime this weekend.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 17, 2009, 09:17:11 AM

IF I happen to unlock this.

Achievement servers ho!

I wish Valve would just give players the weapons and stop with all this finding items and unlockable stuff.  Keep the achievements just as side things to do if you want, or keep hat drops if you REALLY must, but just give the weapons to everyone.  I've been saying this since I first learned that valve was doing this at all, and I'm still sticking by my guns. 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #76 on: December 17, 2009, 10:33:59 AM

Yes, but you hate fun.

Curious to see how the crafting thing works.  I've got about a hojillion duplicate weapons just waiting to be melted down and reforged.  I suspect that'll be the new easy way to get the weapons quick.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #77 on: December 17, 2009, 10:50:51 AM

The new sticky gun sounds possibly better for how I usually end up playing the demo (which is to say, pretty badly). I've never really mastered sticky jumping or airbursts, so something like this might work out better for noobs like me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #78 on: December 17, 2009, 11:30:03 AM

Yeah, I always preferred just sitting back and ambushing people, so Scottish Resistance looks pretty nice.

The pickaxe looks likes it could be fun as well, heh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #79 on: December 17, 2009, 11:48:11 AM

Yeah, the pickaxe sounds like a straight-up upgrade a la the axtinguisher.  They haven't actually said what its drawback is, so I assume it's something relatively minor like no crits.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 17, 2009, 11:52:35 AM

The draw back is that its a melee weapon   why so serious?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 17, 2009, 12:10:54 PM

Alot of those soldier achivements look pretty damn hard.  However the names are all pretty fucking hilarious.  Though I think my favorite is:

Crockets Are Such B.S.
Shoot two non-boosted crit rockets in a row.
 awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 17, 2009, 12:29:32 PM

Alot of those soldier achivements look pretty damn hard.  However the names are all pretty fucking hilarious. 

The demo ones are fucking painful.  "Slammy Slayvis Woundya"?  Seriously?

But yeah, some of those soldier ones are damn tricky looking.  Does anyone know what the deal is with "Spray of Defeat"?  Is that going to be their taunt kill, or something?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #83 on: December 17, 2009, 12:53:15 PM

Alot of those soldier achivements look pretty damn hard.  However the names are all pretty fucking hilarious. 

The demo ones are fucking painful.  "Slammy Slayvis Woundya"?  Seriously?

But yeah, some of those soldier ones are damn tricky looking.  Does anyone know what the deal is with "Spray of Defeat"?  Is that going to be their taunt kill, or something?

Either that or they're having a larf.   awesome, for real

My pet theory is that they're going to move to having multiple taunts for some weapons, like the spycrab taunt (which happens 10% of the time instead of the normal cigarette taunt).  The "21 gun salute" sounds like another new taunt, and we aren't getting a new shotgun that it'd go with.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: December 17, 2009, 01:13:26 PM

Yes, but you hate fun.

This is by and large true.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 17, 2009, 06:04:33 PM

Soldiers win it:
http://www.teamfortress.com/war/victory/

Boots for better Rocket Jumping!

Also, 2 new maps.

-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #86 on: December 17, 2009, 06:14:55 PM

Guess the "Grenade" is a crafted item.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 17, 2009, 06:21:47 PM

Guess the "Grenade" is a crafted item.

Soldier taunt kill.

edit also:

Luckily, in 1857, a young bearded inventor named President Abraham Lincoln stumbled upon the answer: stairs. Unluckily, he never grasped the full import of his own invention, and died attempting to rocket jump up the world’s first staircase in his laboratory at Ford’s Theater.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 17, 2009, 07:16:30 PM

Soldiers win it:
http://www.teamfortress.com/war/victory/

Boots for better Rocket Jumping!

Also, 2 new maps.

Interestingly, the demomen sneaked ahead and would have squeaked a win by a couple of thousand kills, but Valve added an arbitrary 35000 advantage to the soldiers score by means of a photoshop contest or something.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 17, 2009, 07:19:52 PM

It was added on both sides....
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 17, 2009, 09:00:26 PM

Interestingly, the demomen sneaked ahead and would have squeaked a win by a couple of thousand kills, but Valve added an arbitrary 35000 advantage to the soldiers score by means of a photoshop contest or something.

The propaganda contest boosted the soldier kills by 25,000, but it also boosted demomen kills by 60,000

All in all, seems like a weird contest.  Everyone knew soldiers would win, at all times they were winning.  The propaganda contest narrowed that gap but didn't close it.  Kind of seems odd that Valve would design two sets of items but only deploy one based on (basically) a roll of the dice.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 17, 2009, 09:04:28 PM

I'm sure the prize would have been the exact same for the Demomen.  Remember, they Grenade jump all the time as well.  All this decided is what class would be the best at explosive jumping.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:31:12 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 18, 2009, 08:29:33 AM

I've never gotten the hang of rocket or grenade jumping, I've always been too busy missing the enemy to bother blowing myself up a lot in matches in order to learn. That and I mostly play medic or pyro.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 18, 2009, 02:15:49 PM

I've never gotten the hang of rocket or grenade jumping, I've always been too busy missing the enemy to bother blowing myself up a lot in matches in order to learn. That and I mostly play medic or pyro.

Just bind it to a key

alias +rocketjump "+jump;+duck;wait;+attack"
alias -rocketjump "-jump;-attack;wait;wait;wait;-duck"
bind mouse3 "+rocketjump
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #94 on: December 18, 2009, 02:23:22 PM

Just bind it to a key

alias +rocketjump "+jump;+duck;wait;+attack"
alias -rocketjump "-jump;-attack;wait;wait;wait;-duck"
bind mouse3 "+rocketjump

Oh, cmon, there is much more to it than that. You also want to vary the direction you're rocket jumping in order to dodge or to get to higher places. Also, it's so fucking easy you don't need a script for it.

Beginner's version:

1) Point your reticle at your feet
2) Jump
3) Shoot a rocket before you reach the max height of your jump

As a bonus if you crouch jump and do this correctly, you will now get an achievement.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #95 on: December 18, 2009, 02:42:11 PM

I was trying to get that achievement for a little while last night, couldn't figure it out so decided I'd come back to it later, and then got it accidentally while in a hectic fight with another soldier.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 18, 2009, 04:42:02 PM

The propaganda contest boosted the soldier kills by 25,000, but it also boosted demomen kills by 60,000

All in all, seems like a weird contest.  Everyone knew soldiers would win, at all times they were winning.  The propaganda contest narrowed that gap but didn't close it.  Kind of seems odd that Valve would design two sets of items but only deploy one based on (basically) a roll of the dice.

End result was 33k more demomen killed than soldiers killed (all official numbers are in terms of the class being killed, not the class killing)

But the poster contest added 60k killed demonmen, 25k killed soldiers, ie. the soldiers won it, and added 35k to their lead at the time.

Without that, demomen would have won by 2k.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 18, 2009, 05:17:38 PM

End result was 33k more demomen killed than soldiers killed (all official numbers are in terms of the class being killed, not the class killing)

But the poster contest added 60k killed demonmen, 25k killed soldiers, ie. the soldiers won it, and added 35k to their lead at the time.

Without that, demomen would have won by 2k.

Fuck, I'm illiterate.  And pissed off, now. We were winning until someone at Valve decided that "boot in the fruit" was fucking comedy gold?!

belated edit:  Just took a stab at crafting.  Holy fuck.  If you want a specific weapon, you need a class token, slot token and a bit of scrap metal.  Class token costs four weapons from that class, slot weapon costs four weapons from that slot, scrap metal costs three weapons from any slot.

So, like, if you want the soldier's new rocket launcher, you'll need to sacrifice four other soldier weapons, four primary weapons from other classes, and four weapons from any other slot.  You'll be burning at least eleven weapons for every one you craft, assuming you (somehow) already have the right combination of garbage.

Most frustrating is the idea that you'd need four class weapons.  You'd obviously not want to trash your last copies of a weapon, so we're talking about needing either five copies of one weapon or six copies of two, obtained before you get the third weapon and render the whole thing useless anyway.

And hats are insane.  If you want a random hat, you'll need three refined metals.  Each refined metal is made from three reclaimed metals.  Each reclaimed metal is made from three scrap metals.  And each scrap metal, is again, three weapons from the same slot.  So one random hat requires you to junk eighty one guns.  If you want one for a specific class, that's even pricier (four refined metal plus a class token).  That's over a hundred goddamn weapons for one fucking hat!  World of Warcraft has a shorter grind than that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:48:36 PM by Kail »
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 18, 2009, 10:40:35 PM

Holy fuck that's ridiculous. I thought they were going to give some way of using junk loot but those numbers... Maybe if I'd been playing solidly for the last month I'd have enough to craft some weapons for classes that already had their updates but really it's way more likely I'd already have all their fucking weapons.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 19, 2009, 06:43:11 AM

Holy fuck that's ridiculous. I thought they were going to give some way of using junk loot but those numbers... Maybe if I'd been playing solidly for the last month I'd have enough to craft some weapons for classes that already had their updates but really it's way more likely I'd already have all their fucking weapons.

Yeah...this game is basically going full on RPG.  Hell, they even added an option of enabling floating combat text in this update (which I of course turned on).
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 19, 2009, 11:33:04 AM

I assume this is in addition to the random-"Hey here's an unlock"-stuff and Achievements?

If so, I don't see that as too bad as I'm likely to never get the Medic melee weapon. Now, I can just melt down the shit I don't need as a last resort.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: December 19, 2009, 03:09:39 PM

You have eleven weapons you don't need, four of which are medic weapons, but you don't have the bonesaw upgrade?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #102 on: December 19, 2009, 08:09:21 PM

Wow, TF2's weapon upgrade/crafting system is just fully retarded.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #103 on: December 19, 2009, 08:31:17 PM

If so, I don't see that as too bad as I'm likely to never get the Medic melee weapon.

Don't you play medic almost exclusively?  Or am I thinking of a different Cal?

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 19, 2009, 10:19:51 PM

If so, I don't see that as too bad as I'm likely to never get the Medic melee weapon.

Don't you play medic almost exclusively?  Or am I thinking of a different Cal?

No, that's me.  Looking at it, I'm only a couple of achievements away from it since they lowered the last Milestone down to 22 at some point.

As to having enough spare weapons to craft something: I've destroyed quite a few Blutsaugers and Kritzkrieg in the brief time I've played since they introduced random unlocks.  I still wouldn't have been able to get the slot token as I can't think of any spare melee weapons I've gotten.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend.  
Jump to: