Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:03:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend.  (Read 37243 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 05:56:11 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: December 13, 2009, 05:56:54 AM

hur

wat

swamp poop
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 10:17:55 AM

I should reinstall and play a Soldier to help the Demoman count. awesome, for real

That was my thinking too. I'm a terrible, terrible soldier. And I'm not much better at the demoman.

You two leave my beloved soldier alone!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38 on: December 13, 2009, 10:18:26 AM

I think I'm going to have to send in $1.06 for the Larate Kit and see what happens.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 11:25:50 AM

I think I'm going to have to send in $1.06 for the Larate Kit and see what happens.

I recall reading a little while ago that they give it to you for free. You're not actually supposed to send money.
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 12:47:14 PM

It was like 2 blog posts ago. I'm more interested in who's PO box that is in Saratoga NJ.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 09:45:27 PM

"You are as presumptuous as you are poor and Irish" I'm guessing.

oops, missed the Irishness.

Also, crafting? W. T. F?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 10:38:35 PM

I saw that cartoon as mocking racism from the turn of the century, not actually racist.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 07:40:57 AM

Ironic racism is a tricky beast, even when it's about the Irish awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 10:20:45 PM

Hmm sounds like this crafting is a 1000x better than every iteration of mmo crafting I've seen. Valve does it it again!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 10:27:59 PM

So, the two new demoman weapons on the table are a sword and a shield?  This game is getting more MMORPGer by the minute.

And as far as I can tell, this basically splits the class in half.  You'll either equip both of these or neither, and I'm not sure how effective a melee only (plus your grenade launcher) demoman is going to be.  Not to mention the visual weirdness that this game is getting into.  Hats were odd enough, but now we've got guys rolling around the battlefield with broadswords and crap?  I mean, that concept shot of the demoman with this stuff equipped looks ridiculous.

He's a demoman, not William fucking Wallace.  Hand him something that explodes.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 07:43:25 AM

So, the two new demoman weapons on the table are a sword and a shield?  This game is getting more MMORPGer by the minute.

And as far as I can tell, this basically splits the class in half.  You'll either equip both of these or neither, and I'm not sure how effective a melee only (plus your grenade launcher) demoman is going to be.  Not to mention the visual weirdness that this game is getting into.  Hats were odd enough, but now we've got guys rolling around the battlefield with broadswords and crap?  I mean, that concept shot of the demoman with this stuff equipped looks ridiculous.

He's a demoman, not William fucking Wallace.  Hand him something that explodes.

Its a CLAYMORE, get it?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymore  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18A1_Claymore_Antipersonnel_Mine

Seriously though, I agree with you, I think its stupid, if for no other reason that melee mechanics are borked to hell anyway in this game.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009, 07:59:21 AM

I'm okay with the sword as long as that shield isn't too cheap. I wonder how much damage it does, especially if it rushes you down.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #48 on: December 15, 2009, 06:17:10 PM

The sword and shield stuff is weird, but I still love to read about it. I have a huuuuuuge crush on their writers.

God Save the Horn Players
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: December 15, 2009, 07:30:15 PM

i don't even like the game
and fucking ordered

schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: December 15, 2009, 07:32:22 PM

Also, the Direct Hit should've been called the Turn Pro and been less boring in the face of the awesome eyelander.
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:09 PM

Scratch that, $10 shipping is stupid and I don't want to spend $50 on that stuff right now. Nowhere to put posters. :(
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 16, 2009, 02:09:20 AM

Soldier in new-weapon-not-being-a-retarded-design-or-completely-inappropriate-to-setting shocker.

A high precision version of the standard-issue rocket launcher, the Direct Hit has been engineered from the ground up for Soldiers who have mastered the art of shooting at their targets instead of vaguely near them. Those of you looking to deal splash damage, stop reading now: the Direct Hit has a 70% smaller blast radius than a traditional rocket launcher. But the rockets that come out of this thing move fast and hit hard: 80% faster and with 25% more destructive force. Best of all, for you real sharpshooters, the Direct Hit guarantees mini-crits on airborne targets.

Idea is solid, not sure if +80% isn't a bit too fast.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #53 on: December 16, 2009, 07:57:28 AM

I'm not sure why I would be playing soldier if I wanted to snipe things.   swamp poop  I can see the epeen OMG AIRSHOT set being pretty happy with this, though.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 16, 2009, 08:02:28 AM

I'm not sure why I would be playing soldier if I wanted to snipe things.   swamp poop  I can see the epeen OMG AIRSHOT set being pretty happy with this, though.

It seems like a pretty big upgrade for soldiers who are really good at juggling.  This is an interesting upgrade to me though, because unlike almost every other upgrade I've seen, it seems aimed at highly skilled players, rather than the general population.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 16, 2009, 08:16:24 AM

It seems like a pretty big upgrade for soldiers who are really good at juggling.  This is an interesting upgrade to me though, because unlike almost every other upgrade I've seen, it seems aimed at highly skilled players, rather than foaming at the mouth retards.

Corrected.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #56 on: December 16, 2009, 08:29:44 AM

It seems like a pretty big upgrade for soldiers who are really good at juggling.  This is an interesting upgrade to me though, because unlike almost every other upgrade I've seen, it seems aimed at highly skilled players, rather than the general population.

Isn't that exactly what I just said?

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 16, 2009, 08:35:18 AM

Lolz, the new weapons! AWESOME!!!!!!! Demomen may win this!!!!
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 16, 2009, 08:53:45 AM

Won't it be harder to put people into the air in the first place with the blast radius being so much smaller, though?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 16, 2009, 09:02:07 AM

Probably not that much harder with the rocket going twice as fast.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #60 on: December 16, 2009, 09:04:13 AM

I am curious whether the smaller blast translates to smaller "kick".  I suspect not since if the new rocket launcher isn't as good for rocketjumping its primary audience is going to hate it.

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #61 on: December 16, 2009, 09:12:10 AM

If they throw a couple more rockets in the chamber I'm sold, if it's still just 4 then I'm on the fence.

Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #62 on: December 16, 2009, 12:01:28 PM

That thing is going to be deadly at long range sentry sniping. An engineer currently can keep their guns up because of the slowness of the rocket barrage. If he let's just one slip through before starting to whack, it's down. With faster, more damaging direct hits those suckers are going down!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:04:59 PM by Jobu »
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 16, 2009, 02:52:23 PM

Yeah, I don't think the engineer is going to be all that great to play until their update after this. At least not without having a good knowledge of the map and being able to juggle sentry gun positions well.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 16, 2009, 02:58:18 PM

Yeah, I don't think the engineer is going to be all that great to play until their update after this. At least not without having a good knowledge of the map and being able to juggle sentry gun positions well.

Isn't that already how engineers are?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #65 on: December 16, 2009, 03:31:40 PM

Eh, the flip side to that is that most of the time the soldiers are relying on splash damage to get my shit.  They'll have to get direct hits every time (meaning they'll have to stand out in the kill zone longer), and they wont be doing damage to the Engineer and other equipment while blasting something.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #66 on: December 16, 2009, 04:08:25 PM

Eh, the flip side to that is that most of the time the soldiers are relying on splash damage to get my shit.  They'll have to get direct hits every time (meaning they'll have to stand out in the kill zone longer), and they wont be doing damage to the Engineer and other equipment while blasting something.

Yeah, this.  If anything I think engy will be a little better after the update than it is right now.  We already have lots of soldiers and demos now, but after the update there'll be much less spam as people try out the new less-explosive weapons.

Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #67 on: December 16, 2009, 06:15:50 PM

There's always been a few spots on some maps that are ideal for sentry placement as long as you constantly babysit them from snipers and soldiers pecking at them from a distance. I'm torn because I like playing engineer, but I also love catching a lazy/distracted engineer with a few direct rocket hits from outside the guns range and ruining his fort.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 17, 2009, 05:27:39 AM

http://www.teamfortress.com/war/part6/index.htm
New Demoman unlocks
The Eyelander: Melee-weapon: A haunted sword that decreases your max health, and can't perform critical (unless using the item blow) but makes you move faster and increases your health for every person killed (up to four).  Also decapitates a person when you kill them.

Charging Targe: Secondary weapon slot.  Increases your fire resistance by +50% and your explosion resistance by +65%.  Alt fire makes you charge, faster than even the scout can run, and can help you do extra damage from melee.  A medium charge gets your a mini-crit, while a long charge gets you a full crit, and this can affect Eyelander.

Scottish Resistance: A "smart" sticky launcher. (Secondary Slot) The stickies take longer to prime (.4 seconds longer), but you can plant up to 16 of them, and only the ones you're looking at will detonate, so you can have multiple clusters and traps. Also you can use this to destroy enemy stickies too.

New Soldier unlocks
The Direct Hit: A missile launcher (Primary Slot) who's projectile moves 80% faster and does 25% more damage, but has 70% smaller blast radius. Guarrenteed mini-crits when you hit an air target though.

The Equalizer: A pickaxe melee weapon that makes you hit harder and move faster the more damage you take, making you godly when you're about to die.

The Buff Banner: Secondary slot item, as you take damage you get a "Rage meter" that when full, allows you to pull out a bugle and give everyone around you a 14 second mini-crit buff.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 17, 2009, 06:06:37 AM

Hmm, this is the first  unlock patch where I'm not sure if I'll use a single unlock regularly.  Possibly the direct hit depending on how it plays.

I get the impression Valve used the patch to try and reduce "spam" by giving demos/soldiers things that aren't worth spamming,  which aren't worth spamming.  The question in my mind is, will they actually be better for death matching.  Only the direct hit strikes me as possibly being better for that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 Update Incoming? - Let me tell you about my best friend.  
Jump to: