Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:09:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Venture Bros. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Venture Bros.  (Read 112423 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: March 13, 2013, 09:37:16 AM

beer geek.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:53 AM

Oh hell yeah!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #177 on: March 14, 2013, 01:59:19 AM

Heart
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #178 on: May 04, 2013, 10:30:41 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #179 on: May 04, 2013, 11:05:21 PM

Fucking. Awesome.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #180 on: May 31, 2013, 01:14:46 PM

Sneak Peek of Sunday's Episode

"Is that a can of gasoline?"

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: May 31, 2013, 10:02:24 PM

Giggity Giggity Goo!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: June 01, 2013, 08:52:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHVLSY_Hrk

Recap of seasons 1-4 if you need a refresher.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: June 02, 2013, 11:23:00 PM

"How about just a handy?"

Love this show so much.

-H.L. Mencken
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #184 on: June 02, 2013, 11:35:39 PM

Somehow I had never seen the Venture Bros, though various friends had raved about it over the years... when somebody shared the season 1-4 recap a couple weeks ago, I decided to check it out (without watching the recap, didn't want to spoil the fun).  Since them I've ended up watching all four seasons and wow this is goddamn brilliant stuff.  Got really lucky to find out how great it is just before season five started...

Hank: "Are you okay?  Dr. O said you're probably insane now and that you'll never be the same?"

Doc Venture: "Are you kidding?" *laughs*

Doc Venture: "Okay, I'm just turning sixteen and having a birthday pool party.  My father invites every girl he knows, and I'm not talking about girls my age.  No, not Jonas.  He invites Playboy Bunnies and models and I think actual whores, you know real prostitutes.  So there I am in my giant bathing suit with nervous puberty oozing out of my gigantic pores.  Just awful.  So, the band suddenly stops playing and I hear 'and now, the man of the hour, Rusty Venture.'  All eyes one me, right?  Then suddenly, almost predictably, the Action Man shoots my groin with the shrink ray right as that fucking jackass Colonel Gentleman pulls my shorts down."

Hank: "Wow, that's like a nightmare."

Doc Venture: "Oh no, no.  What I went through today was 'like a nightmare', what happened when I was sixteen, THAT is my LIFE."
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: June 02, 2013, 11:43:24 PM

It really is brilliant stuff. Tonight had references to Brady Bunch, Hart to Hart, Return of the Jedi, Soylent Green, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Battlestar Galactica, Trek, Buck Rodgers, and Planet of the Apes (just off the top of my head). Plus "sniffing" a chastity belt, man tits, etc. etc.  Just unreal.

EDIT: Oh, and Game of Thrones, Rocky, Gremlins, LoTR.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:49:45 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #186 on: June 02, 2013, 11:52:23 PM

I love the crazy extended continuity -- a character that shows up for 10 seconds as (apparently) a throwaway joke or is referred to offscreen turns up later in a season or a following season as a major player in the venture-verse, all the little nods to stuff throughout -- it's a show that really rewards you for paying attention.   Also, amazingly, it has really really few bad episodes -- "Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner?" sticks out in my mind as one that was pretty mediocre, but there have only been a couple.  I'm glad they take their time making these, because the results are clearly worth it.

EDIT: That was a suitably epic start to season five.

EDIT2: Wow, AdultSwim published S05E01 on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug3NUpBmw_g
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:39:27 AM by Quinton »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #187 on: June 03, 2013, 05:59:34 AM

Yeah. That was worth the wait.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #188 on: June 03, 2013, 06:22:21 AM

It really is brilliant stuff. Tonight had references to Brady Bunch, Hart to Hart, Return of the Jedi, Soylent Green, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Battlestar Galactica, Trek, Buck Rodgers, and Planet of the Apes (just off the top of my head). Plus "sniffing" a chastity belt, man tits, etc. etc.  Just unreal.

EDIT: Oh, and Game of Thrones, Rocky, Gremlins, LoTR.
This is why I like to read the wiki about the episode a few days after.  With so many reference I need a fucking cliff notes to get them all.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:17:23 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: June 03, 2013, 12:15:26 PM

I do the exact same thing Tazalbain. It's almost impossible to keep track of all of them. They are really well worked into the show.  Also damn that was a good opener show.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #190 on: June 03, 2013, 04:42:15 PM

Sgt. Hatred is Robert Paulson.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #191 on: June 03, 2013, 05:04:55 PM

There are no names in Project Palaemon.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #192 on: June 07, 2013, 09:12:28 AM

God, that was fucking awesome! I love me some emo pissed-off Dean. It needs more Brock but other than that, it was fantastic.

I'm not even sure how many sci-fi movie references they made in that whole Palemon thing but it was masterful.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: June 09, 2013, 10:45:57 PM

We have no infrastructure!

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: June 16, 2013, 11:10:32 PM

I'm rockin' a Shai Hulud down there!

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #195 on: June 17, 2013, 05:14:35 AM

"Why are you still shouting?!"

I don't know how I didn't see the Cobra-Sphinx parallels before this episode.  /headdesk 

Was that the actual voice actor for CC? I thought he'd died.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: June 17, 2013, 06:08:46 AM

You must have missed the first time in the series when they introduced the whole OSI/Sphinx deal.  It was a really obvious Joe/Cobra parody.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #197 on: June 17, 2013, 06:30:21 AM

Probably. There's a few episodes here and there I've never seen because I didn't have a DVR and couldn't stay up late to watch.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #198 on: June 17, 2013, 08:07:20 PM

C'mon! Makes me feel like a Wookiee!

Jettison the lunchroom!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:09:04 PM by Surlyboi »

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #199 on: June 18, 2013, 06:11:16 AM

I'm rockin' a Shai Hulud down there!

I always smile when I get a joke/reference that I know not everyone else will.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #200 on: June 19, 2013, 11:45:24 AM

This season is definitely starting out with high notes. Sphinx Commander and Hank in the Destiny outfit were just fantastic.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: June 23, 2013, 01:49:34 AM

Was that the actual voice actor for CC? I thought he'd died.

Chris Latta.  Yes, he died a while ago, sadly.  They were clearly providing an homage to him, yeah, but that was definitely not him.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: July 01, 2013, 05:49:53 AM

Oh man, that twist ending was absolute awesome! So many side characters introduced and killed of..  Favorite has to be Agent Bum Rush + dog with his sign "Me and my dog are homeless"  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: July 01, 2013, 01:28:57 PM

Now *that* was a great episode!  I'm sure it was just a coincidence that it was the first one to have so much Brock in a long while.

Over and out.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: July 01, 2013, 05:02:58 PM

Oh man, that twist ending was absolute awesome! So many side characters introduced and killed of..  Favorite has to be Agent Bum Rush + dog with his sign "Me and my dog are homeless"  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Tank Top was pretty good too. Plus, the "dog" was actually a dude in a dog costume.

-H.L. Mencken
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: July 02, 2013, 12:31:09 AM

Exactly! It kinda reminded me of Ted (the bear psycho). But I wonder where the dog went because we did not see him with the others later on. 

So  many interesting side characters..
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #206 on: July 02, 2013, 06:55:00 AM

That was a great episode, I'm also very glad Hank's out of that terrifying costume.

Was that blonde OSI couple supposed to be a reference to something, I didn't get it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #207 on: July 02, 2013, 07:57:01 AM

Was that blonde OSI couple supposed to be a reference to something, I didn't get it.

I thought it might have been 6-Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman, but that's not it. We've already seen Steve Austin in an earlier episode a few seasons back. I couldn't figure out who they were supposed to be.

Another great episode though. The show definitely needs more Brock.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:40 AM

I think she was a riff on Scarlett.

Oh, and RIP Monstroso (?).

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #209 on: July 02, 2013, 03:01:21 PM

Yeah she was a rip on Scarlett, as shown by her accent and giant chest.  No clue why she was blonde other than 1) making her a redhead is too on-the-nose and 2) Scarlett was called Scarlett because of her red hair. So what was the woman's name? Some sort of blonde joke spinoff?  I'll have to go back and check it out because I can't recall.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Venture Bros.  
Jump to: