Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:55:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Venture Bros. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Venture Bros.  (Read 112425 times)
Arnold
Terracotta Army

on: August 21, 2009, 09:48:09 PM

Season 4 trailer is up on Adult Swim.

Looks like #21 is going to have lots of screen time this season!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:38:05 PM by Arnold »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 10:05:38 PM

*squee*

"Me am play gods"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 01:18:07 AM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

God damn I love this series, and season 4 looks awesome.

Also, it jumped to the footage from the Comicon panel after the trailer, which was fucking hilarious.  Watch it if you can.  I go to the adult swim panel every year I go, and its always god damn great, but couldn't make it this year (or the last two, because of being in another country)   cry

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 01:01:25 PM

Gyah! Thank god for internet streaming, or I'd be waiting for this to air in the UK for another 3 years. We've still only got Season 1 available on DVD here, and not even any release dates for Seasons 2 & 3. I'm not sure Season 3's even been broadcast here yet! I'm looking up the comiccon panel on youtube as the US adultswim site is being regionist with that footage for some reason.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:34:02 PM

New season starts Sunday.  Woooo!
BoatApe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:29:44 PM

Well...

Gonna need to see that about a dozen more times...

but I liked it.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 10:18:03 PM

Freaking awesome.

"You're getting face all over me! Hot, melting face!"

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:52:18 PM

They really need to make more Venture Bros. episodes.  13 of them go so fast and it's probably the best cartoon on TV right now.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:10:35 AM

Both the mythos and the humor was quite excellent, but the disjointed story format holds it back.  But DH & JP tend to the first episode as a prologue for the season and from that preservative this episode was monumental as it provides so much to jump off from.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:02:56 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 02:36:16 PM

They really need to make more Venture Bros. episodes.  13 of them go so fast and it's probably the best cartoon on TV right now.

Dude.

I'm not complaining as long as they stick to actually doing annual seasons.  They were on 2-2.5 years between seasons for a while.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 04:53:31 PM

Via my Facebook Adult Swim feed:

[quoteSomehow there was a hiccup with our west coast feed last night. So, our bad, west coast Venture fans. To make it up to you, we're showing the Season Four premiere Monday - Thursday this week at 12:30am. Or, if you can't wait to watch it on ...your mini-big screen at home: you can watch it online right now. Giddy-up:[/quote]

I think it's more likely they're doing it so you can figure out wtf was going on.  I was gratified by the final explanation of the money number that kept being flashed on screen. I had no idea what that was all about the first 20 mins and thought I'd missed something important.  I love "ooooooh" moments like that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 10:10:21 PM

So wrong, yet so awesome.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 10:36:07 PM

The Robot chicken lead fit right in. I felt like - needed a shower afterwaerds, but so awesome.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 11:04:29 PM

-H.L. Mencken
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 04:54:12 PM

Captain Sunshine felt like going to the well one too many times, what with Sargeant Hatred's "problem."

I do really enjoy it when they let the Monarch cut loose and be an effective evil bastard. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 06:19:35 PM

All the Batman riffing took it to a different level. I didn't equate it with Hatred at all.

-H.L. Mencken
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 06:25:01 PM

I enjoyed the episode but the whole subtlely gay superhero+sidekick theme just felt done to death already, if not by this show then by others.  Also, I second the monarch sentiment, he's actually one of the most 'pure' villains on the show, a throwback to cobra commander, skeletor, etc.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 06:57:00 PM

the whole subtlely gay superhero+sidekick theme

I took it completely different than that. Instead of a subtle gay subtext, you had massive, over the top gay context with no actual indication that it was sexual.  I thought it flipped it on its head in a very funny way.

-H.L. Mencken
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 07:37:53 PM

Okay.  You know what I really love about this show?

It gets better each rewatch.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 11:42:50 PM

Awesome episode, especially since they got Kevin Conroy for it. 
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 12:44:21 AM

Great episode.  However, I miss Brock!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 03:35:21 AM

Great episode.  However, I miss Brock!

Patrick Warburton has himself spread pretty thin between two different TV series and the movies/ Video Games he's doing on a regular basis these days, so it's probably that he couldn't fit in another season.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 05:03:38 AM

I took it completely different than that. Instead of a subtle gay subtext, you had massive, over the top gay context with no actual indication that it was sexual.  I thought it flipped it on its head in a very funny way.

Yeah, the whole lube thing with Hank got me just because I had by that point fully expected some a$$r4p3 joke that never came. I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more of Sphinx and Brock probably more than anything else.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 09:14:11 PM

I took it completely different than that. Instead of a subtle gay subtext, you had massive, over the top gay context with no actual indication that it was sexual.  I thought it flipped it on its head in a very funny way.

Yeah, the whole lube thing with Hank got me just because I had by that point fully expected some a$$r4p3 joke that never came. I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more of Sphinx and Brock probably more than anything else.

Okay, the Captain Sunshine episode is growing on me.

- I hadn't realized Kevin Conroy voiced Sunshine.  There's a great line from one of the convention panels from the creators that Conroy stopped at one point because he thought he sounded too Batman-y....  and the creators told him "No, that's fine.  In fact, try  to sound more like Batman!"

It makes the Hank line about Batman sooo much better.

- I read somewhere that the Monarch's killing of Wonderboy is foreshadowed way back in Season 1.  God damn, this show is awesome.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 11:08:24 AM by Johny Cee »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 08:49:42 AM

The whole Captain Sunshine thing was brilliant, especially the aftermath of his powers. Bunch of butterfly costume guys with their eyes smoking just made me giggle uncontrollably. But yeah, best joke was the lube line. It set up the predictable joke so much then paid off a completely different joke. This season has been strange without Brock, but still top notch.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 06:34:59 PM

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 07:38:15 PM

You aren't ready for the Court of the Crimson King!

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 08:17:40 PM

He doesn't have the Shinning just because he's black!

-H.L. Mencken
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 03:47:01 PM

- I read somewhere that the Monarch's killing of Wonderboy is foreshadowed way back in Season 1.  God damn, this show is awesome.

In "Return To Spider Skull Island", Monarch is going down a checklist of orders with 21 and 24 to see which have been carried out.  One of those was returning the charred remains of Wonderboy to Captain Sunshine.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 04:39:42 AM

Holy hell. Someone pointed out that the 21's plan, "Eye for an I" is Exodus 21:24. That's fucking awesome.

Edit: Also it was awesome to see the Monarch actually bitch slap the moppets finally.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:34:16 PM by NowhereMan »

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 09:55:19 AM

Another great episode.

The fact that all the minions are scared shitless of "General 21" now.
Hatred quoting The Time Machine.
The boys (and the henchmen) not recognizing the Monarch.
The Monarch scaring the shit out of the Moppets.

I cracked up at Dr Girlfriend feeding the Moppets under the table....  When they're walking off, one of the Moppets is licking his fingers.  Just a perfect image with how creepy/pervy the Moppets can be.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 01:37:53 PM

Crap! Half of the half-season is over!

"Me am play gods"
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 03:05:31 PM

Wish list for the rest of the season:

- Return of King Gorilla
- Badass 21 has it out with Moppets
- Hank and Dean develop further into the "Bodyguard" and "Super-scientist" roles
- Fuck Dermott.  The character has potential, but he's never lived up to it.
- Some Order of the Triad loving.  Jefferson Twilight cracks me up.

Edit:

I'd love to see Triana's friend from the double-date episode show up as a villain's assistant or henchwoman.  I'd probably have to turn off the TV I'd be laughing so hard.

And more of the rubber-mask pirates that are now henching for Jonas Jr.  Fuck, I love those guys! 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:24:03 PM by Johny Cee »
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 09:28:45 AM

Bleh.  I think "Revenge Society" has to be about the worst episode they have ever made.  Maybe it gets better on repeated viewing, but it just didn't do anything for me.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 02:06:41 PM

LOL, it was great with a ton of references to old shows.  The GoCI is a failure.  Phantom Limb is a failure.  Even the great, grand conspiracy is a failure.

"Me am play gods"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Venture Bros.  
Jump to: