Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL  (Read 168748 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #770 on: February 08, 2010, 08:49:06 AM

Colts-Bears and, in particular, Steelers+refs v Seahawks were yawners. 

/bitter

Nice work, Saints! Much closer than the score indicated. I was pretty sure Indy was going to roll when they went up 10-0, but the Saints made the right adjustments on both sides of the ball.  Heart The 2nd half kickoff- people will be talking about that in 50 years. Very cool.

Even though they sounded and looked like crap, I still loved the halftime show too. Like the trend of using classic acts instead of the latest flash in the pan and their 500 favorite dancers.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: February 08, 2010, 08:51:31 AM

What was the deal with nobody on the pitch for the halftime show by the way?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #772 on: February 08, 2010, 09:54:55 AM

They didn't want to inadvertanly violate Townsend's protective order.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #773 on: February 08, 2010, 09:57:35 AM

The long FG attempt for Indy was a huge mistake, handing the Saints great position.

Yes, yes it was. I mean, you'd already gone for it on 4th and 2 instead of trying a field goal that was longer. The 50 yarder was most definitely not in Stover's wheelhouse, not outdoors in the winter. Plus, if he misses it, the Saints get an extra 10 yards - you miss the 4th down, they get the ball somewhere in the 30's. Yes, the Saints could still drive that down for a TD, but make them work a bit more for it. And if you get the first down, well, you'll probably go for TD or at least get an easier field goal later in the drive, and you won't be giving the ball back to Drew Brees. I think Caldwell got too conservative then.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #774 on: February 08, 2010, 01:22:31 PM

I almost felt bad for Manning and I really begrudge how talented he is.  The Colt's coach just seemed to be along for the ride the entire time and the contrast between that and Sean Payton going balls to the wall every other drive was very noticeable.  Then he gets fucked by that really big drop and by Wayne taking most of the game off.  It wasn't just the interception where he looked uninvolved and lazy running his routes to me.

Fuck yeah though couldn't have happened in a better non annoying storybook way, unless Reggie Bush had gotten the chance to do some amazing shit in the win somewhere.

Good superbowl, skipped the halftime show, really shitty commercials, fucking recession.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #775 on: February 08, 2010, 01:36:14 PM

Even though they sounded and looked like crap, I still loved the halftime show too. Like the trend of using classic acts instead of the latest flash in the pan and their 500 favorite dancers.

I like the trend, but they just looked and sounded OLD.  Which they are. Steve Winwood in the pregame looked like a goddamn zombie.

I didn't get to see most of the second half.  Did find out my son has a milk allergy though.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #776 on: February 08, 2010, 01:42:57 PM

I thought Daltrey's voice was great and Pete's rhythm guitar was excellent. Pete's voice sucked wind and the rhythm section makes me miss Ox and Moonie, though.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: February 08, 2010, 06:41:31 PM

The Colt's coach just seemed to be along for the ride the entire time and the contrast between that and Sean Payton going balls to the wall every other drive was very noticeable.

Payton's coaching was essentially Revenge of the Stat Nerds after that Colt-Pats game early in the year.  Was good to see that style of play-calling pay off on a big stage, even if I wasn't pulling for the Saints.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Rasix

Reply #778 on: February 16, 2010, 11:50:59 AM

-Rasix
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #779 on: February 16, 2010, 11:54:25 AM

It was good year for football.

"Me am play gods"
WayAbvPar

Reply #780 on: February 16, 2010, 02:36:34 PM

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: February 27, 2010, 10:49:56 PM

Quote from: AP
INDIANAPOLIS — An NFL spokesman said Saturday the league could change its overtime format for playoff games at a meeting next month.

Under the new format, both teams would get the ball at least once unless the first team to get the ball scores a touchdown, Greg Aiello said. If the first team to get the ball makes a field goal and the other team ties the game, action would continue until a team scores again.

Under the current rules, the first team to score wins.

"There have been various concepts that have been discussed in recent years, but this one has never been proposed," Aiello said.

The competition committee will discuss the new concept with teams and players at league meetings March 21-24 in Orlando, Fla., when it could come to a vote. At least two thirds of the teams would need to agree to the changes for new rules to be adopted.

The competition committee met with the players' union and players on Thursday during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Discussion continued when the competition committee met with a general managers' advisory committee on Friday.

The debate about the rules gained steam after the NFC championship game, when New Orleans beat Minnesota 31-28 in overtime and Brett Favre's Vikings never got the ball in the extra period. Under the proposed rule, Minnesota would have gotten another possession because the Vikings didn't allow a touchdown.

Overtime was adopted for regular season games in 1974, a sudden-death format that allowed games to end in a tie if neither team scored in 15 minutes. Overtime for playoff games always has been sudden death.

(source: AP via ESPN)

It's still think its dumb that a battle between two high-powered offenses after 60 minutes is liable to get decided by a coin flip, but it's better than what we have now.

Also, Fordel probably wins the pool with:

Maybe they should just ban Field Goals in OT if that's the real issue, make it so you have to score a TD then?

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #782 on: February 27, 2010, 10:56:17 PM

I'm actually not against a "TD or GTFO" overtime. I'm not against any change to the current overtime in the NFL.

But the players are.  awesome, for real

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #783 on: February 28, 2010, 09:51:27 AM

I'm against it. I don't see anything wrong with the OT rules as we have them. Lose the coin toss? Get your defense to stop the other team or go home. Stop crying like little bitches if you lose.

But if they put this in, they should just call it the "Brett Favre is supposed to win" rule.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #784 on: February 28, 2010, 09:55:43 AM

I'm against it. I don't see anything wrong with the OT rules as we have them. Lose the coin toss? Get your defense to stop the other team or go home. Stop crying like little bitches if you lose.

I'd agree only if the league would stop handcuffing defenses with ticky-tack calls. As it stands, in the rules dept, offense > defense - which I could assume affects the defensive team in overtime.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #785 on: February 28, 2010, 10:04:33 AM

I'd agree only if the league would stop handcuffing defenses with ticky-tack calls. As it stands, in the rules dept, offense > defense - which I could assume affects the defensive team in overtime.

It's becoming the Air-it-out league because of the changes to the rules. You can't touch a guy after 5 yards, you can't hit him up high, you can't handcheck him even if he does it to you, and if he runs into you while you make a play on the ball, it's your fault. Toss in the fact that you can even touch the QB below the waist or above the neck without drawing a flag, and you get Manning and Brees sitting all day in the pocket with no fear.

Add in the defense getting beat up for 4 quarters, and you get a 20% advantage to the first man with the ball. But no, it's all ok, just fucking man up.  Ohhhhh, I see.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #786 on: February 28, 2010, 10:11:22 AM

That's right, man up. The defense faces the same shit in OT that they face in regulation. That's the game, win or go home.

Now, we can talk about the emphasis on offense all we want, and I'll be right there with you. This season was one of the worst for Mickey Mouse interference calls that changed games, roughing the passer calls that made me apoplectic, QB's being handled with such ridiculous kid gloves that they might as well be wearing skirts and my personal pet peeve, the illegal block in the back on punt returns. Those are all things that need to be looked at by the league long before they consider a change to the OT rules because Brett Favre's last pass in the NFL was a dumbass interception.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: February 28, 2010, 10:30:24 AM

Blame the fans.  People want to see high scoring games and the NFL have modified the rules to provide this.  It's not all that different from what happened to baseball since the 60's.  Casual fans of football, baseball, etc just want offense.  They want lots of gratification from high output games and will continue to pay and show up in numbers to watch it.  If the starting QB or #1 WR get knocked out, the fans will lose interest.  The business side of the game demands that the fans get what they want, particularly with the stupidly expensive ticket prices being charged. 

From the perspective of an ex-defensive guy offense has always had an advantage in football.  They know where the ball is going.  Add in the protective rules (QB protection, pass interference, 5 yard contact rules, etc) and the offensive advantage gets even greater.  Then you add dome stadiums, artificial turf, and schemes and it has become a coastal style game.  On the plus side, these shifts have given huge wage increases to defensive players particularly at the skill positions (CB, Safety, OLB). 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #788 on: February 28, 2010, 10:32:12 AM

The only thing that will change the rules will be either several NFC/AFC championship games decided by OT in a row, or one Super Bowl where the first team with the ball wins it with a chipshot FG.

The fan outcry would be too epic to ignore at that point.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #789 on: February 28, 2010, 04:55:29 PM

on a side note: Hate him all you want, but Favre is one tough son of a bitch to survive all those years getting smashed around before the rule changes. I only bring him up and not the countless other tough sons of bitches at QB because Farve is still playing. Wonder if the rule changes about hitting QBs are keeping him around considering...

Back to the topic... Every other major league sport in the US has overtime that is not "so dependent" on the coin toss for OT. Baseball each team goes another inning, basketball...well who gives a shit about basketball anyway... Hockey has a shootout... Meh, I side with the each team gets a shot argument.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #790 on: February 28, 2010, 05:54:14 PM

Favre isn't still around because of the rules, he's around because he's one tough sumbitch. The QB to place the blame for the touchy refs this season is Tom Brady. They might as well have wrapped him in cotton and bubble wrap this year.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #791 on: February 28, 2010, 09:57:25 PM

Favre isn't still around because of the rules, he's around because he's one tough sumbitch. The QB to place the blame for the touchy refs this season is Tom Brady. They might as well have wrapped him in cotton and bubble wrap this year.

I hang it mostly on Brady. I hang the other half on the NFL wanting to keep the running QB out of the game. "You're fine as long as you do exactly what we want in the pocket, but if you take off everything is out the window."

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #792 on: March 23, 2010, 03:05:58 PM

Post-Season OT rules change.

• Both teams must have the opportunity to possess the ball once during the extra period, unless the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown on its initial possession, in which case it is the winner.

• If the team that possesses the ball first scores a field goal on its initial possession, the other team shall have the opportunity to possess the ball. If [that team] scores a touchdown on its possession, it is the winner. If the score is tied after [both teams have a] possession, the team next scoring by any method shall be the winner.

• If the score is tied at the end of a 15-minute overtime period, or if [the overtime period's] initial possession has not ended, another overtime period will begin, and play will continue until a score is made, regardless of how many 15-minute periods are necessary.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #793 on: March 23, 2010, 03:15:52 PM

What a fucking joke. At least it's better than the college system, but not by much.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: March 23, 2010, 03:30:22 PM

Goddam.  Maybe next they'll take out tackling.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #795 on: March 23, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Goddam.  Maybe next they'll take out tackling.

How are these remotely comparable?

I still really don't understand the objection to making OT less random. Can one of you articulate clearly what the actual problem you have with the change is?

EDIT: Most of the objections seem to boil down to "change is bad". Am I missing some fundamental reason other than that to oppose this?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:59:57 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: March 23, 2010, 04:06:47 PM

I have a better solution: If a game end in a tie, both teams take a loss to their record.  Might make the last 2 minutes of the game a bit more interesting and force coaches into 2 point conversion decisions during the last half of the game. 

It will never happen, but it's fun to imagine.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #797 on: March 23, 2010, 04:11:28 PM

Goddam.  Maybe next they'll take out tackling.

How are these remotely comparable?

I think he's getting his hyperbolic reaction a little mixed up.  That's the kind of thing you say when they add in more bullshit rules because they're afraid of injuries.  These changes to OT would have the opposite effect in that more playtime would equal more possibilities for injury.

I have a better solution: If a game end in a tie, both teams take a loss to their record.  Might make the last 2 minutes of the game a bit more interesting and force coaches into 2 point conversion decisions during the last half of the game. 

It will never happen, but it's fun to imagine.   

Wouldn't work in this situation since these changes so far are only for play-offs, so one team has to win.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: March 23, 2010, 04:17:41 PM

Wouldn't work in this situation since these changes so far are only for play-offs, so one team has to win.

Damnit.  I didn't think of that one. 

Can we make QB's wear a dress?  A red dress?

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #799 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:13 PM

My problem with changing the OT rules is they aren't broke. It's a fix looking for a problem that doesn't exist. That's why I call it the "Favre Must Win" rule. The only time we've heard this bullshit is when Favre didn't win in OT from butthurt fans who think Favre should have won that game.

There's almost no scenario where sudden death will feel fair, but eventually games have to get decided. What the fuck was so wrong with first team to score wins?

If you want to hold a great big group hug over rules changes, how about removing the bullshit ticky tack pass interference calls, the pussy-faced roughing the QB calls when the QB is barely touched or that goddamn illegal block in the back bullshit on punts that fucks up 80% of the punts in the game?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #800 on: March 23, 2010, 09:59:29 PM

If you don't think the fact that the winner of the OT coin flip was 50% more likely to win the game pre-rule change was a problem then I've got some swampland in Mississippi to sell you.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #801 on: March 24, 2010, 06:27:38 AM

He already bought it.

OT rules change is ok, it at least reduces the amount of field goal cheese. I bet kickers are  Mob
the pussy-faced roughing the QB calls when the QB is barely touched
Especially when it seems to get called over a handful of QBs and other QBs (not as famous/rich) are getting manhandled. Brady can get a whisper of contact and draw a flag, someone like Sanchez can get suplexed without penalty.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:31:23 AM by Sky »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #802 on: March 24, 2010, 08:22:22 AM

If you don't think the fact that the winner of the OT coin flip was 50% more likely to win the game pre-rule change was a problem then I've got some swampland in Mississippi to sell you.

Sure, I can buy those numbers along with the swampland. It still doesn't change my mind. Someone has to win eventually. First one to score wins is fine with me. If your defense can't stop them, you don't win. That's the way it's been for decades, and it's worked fine.

I keep thinking back to the Green Bay/Seattle playoff game from what, 2003? When Seattle won the toss and said "We're gonna win!" And he was very likely to win, except that the Green Bay defense stepped up, picked off a pass for a touchdown and won the game. The defense stepped up and beat the odds.

Rasix

Reply #803 on: March 24, 2010, 08:31:40 AM

And in that situation under the proposed rules, Green Bay would have still won. 

DURRRR.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #804 on: March 24, 2010, 08:40:47 AM

Of course they would. All I was saying is that in that case, the team that won the coin toss didn't win because the defense stepped up. They beat the odds. Just because the odds were against them didn't make the rules unfair, or in need of change. The OT rules weren't unfair or broken.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL  
Jump to: