Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 03:18:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron Man 2  (Read 78421 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #70 on: March 12, 2010, 03:08:08 PM

Eh around here stadium security is typically NOT armed (at least for baseball and college football) but there are always actual cops around. Armed security guards at... Bay Meadows I'm assuming? is kind of strange. (If I'm misremembering and you're not a Bay Area dude never mind.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 12, 2010, 03:12:20 PM

If we want to go into full geek detail, just how many security guards would there be at an F-1 race? Also would they even 'have' guns?

Enough where if shit went down, such as a rogue mechanic obliterating shit on a crowded race track and putting at risk a BILLIONAIRE in a hostile global climate, the threat would have gotten the ballistics equivalent of the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique, only the threat wouldn't even get five steps before it'd be dead.

One of the few elements that works for Iron Man is that normal bullets can't hurt him because he's wearing ARMOR. He's immune to most conventional suppression techniques such as strength of body or bullets. That puts him in a different league, one where the threats must escalate to meet him. Whiplash is strutting around bare-chested. One shot, one kill for him.

They show a shot of Tony in armor being strangled by Whiplash's tendrils because he got within 10 yards of him. Bitch took out a tank at 100 yards with a small magnetic missile in the first movie. Different armors, sure, but you get my drift.

I'm sure the complete scene will try and put everything into perspective how a number of cock-ups led to creating the cool situation in the movie, or show how Whiplash's power source creates a field around him that prevents ranged attacks from working against him.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 12, 2010, 05:38:33 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure it's france since interviews have made a big deal of stark being in other countries and the jail whiplash is put in afterwards has guards speaking french.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 12, 2010, 05:49:46 PM

The race is supposed to be in Monaco.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 12, 2010, 07:27:42 PM

I could see Tony having armed guards at a race he's participating in. He's a public superhero with a huge company that does work for the US military. I'd be disappointed if they didn't have a small corporate army.
I'm also fairly sure that blasing a hail of bullets into a track full of speeding cars, pit crews, TV crews and spectators in the stands would be a pretty bad idear.

Anybody here know the proper level of response to a maniac wielding dual energy whips?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:29:48 PM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 12, 2010, 07:34:35 PM

Stark is enough of an narcissist to NOT have a private army.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 13, 2010, 05:03:31 AM

I could see Tony having armed guards at a race he's participating in. He's a public superhero with a huge company that does work for the US military. I'd be disappointed if they didn't have a small corporate army.
Actually, I would say Stark would actively repulse attempts to get himself a "security detail".

First off, as previously mentioned, he is enough of a narcissist (especially now that he has the suit) to personally consider himself untouchable.  I mean, who in their right mind would go after a "super hero".  For that matter, how many "super heroes" do you know that need their own bodyguards (kind of defeats the purpose of the whole "super hero" monicker.

He probably thinks that his personal fame and notoriety is enough to protect him from the run of the mill nutjob; tack on the idea that the average joe probably thinks of him as some kind of "techno superman" toteing around god knows what kind of ubertech death-device at all times, and he is probably right, too.  The only people crazy enough to attack him would also be brilliant enough to at least understand what he is reasonably capable of.

Also, I seem to recall that he shifted stark enterprises AWAY from military asset development, so the military has no real reason to protect him.  He even blatantly slaps them down in the trailers, refusing to hand over the Iron Man tech to the military, citing himself as having privatized world peace.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:05:48 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #77 on: March 13, 2010, 07:22:11 AM

Eh around here stadium security is typically NOT armed (at least for baseball and college football) but there are always actual cops around. Armed security guards at... Bay Meadows I'm assuming? is kind of strange. (If I'm misremembering and you're not a Bay Area dude never mind.)
Golden Gate Fields, actually.  They shut down Bay Meadows in 2008. :(

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #78 on: March 13, 2010, 11:29:57 AM

Oh right, I knew one of 'em was gone...

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 13, 2010, 08:32:31 PM

If we want to go into full geek detail, just how many security guards would there be at an F-1 race?

Depends on the GP and whats going on at the time. Each promoter of the race is responsible for the track security which generally is the local region police force. Some tracks are quite relaxed like the dedicated tracks and that's where you see people occasionally getting on track during an event. Street circuit tracks like Monaco and Singapore involve more security to close down roads and reroute traffic etc. That being said it's not unusual for at the end of event's even today for fans to rush the paddock at the end to celebrate (see crazy tifosi).

The race is supposed to be in Monaco.

Indeed your correct from the trailer it looks like it's suppose to be the chicane in front of the harbor.
(Large shot of the section)

Oh BTW what Stark is driving is not an F1 car from recent years. I'd guess its an older Brabham (like a BT52) but there are a lot of cars in the shots from various decades.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:42:35 PM by fuser »
Aliexia
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 13, 2010, 10:14:45 PM

Man a 15 year old Sudanese militia recruit high on turpentine fumes and armed with a 40 year old AK could have ran out there, successfully killed Stark, then turned around and riddled Mickey Rourke with bullets for shits and giggles. What a shit supervillain.

<-- WUA on his friend's account while he stays with them

Hate me or love me... I don't care... well I do, but... I'll never let it show!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: March 13, 2010, 10:37:22 PM

Man a 15 year old Sudanese militia recruit high on turpentine fumes and armed with a 40 year old AK could have ran out there, successfully killed Stark, then turned around and riddled Mickey Rourke with bullets for shits and giggles. What a shit supervillain.

<-- WUA on his friend's account while he stays with them
Is there something stopping you from logging in under your account while you "stay with them"?

Having said that, yeah, I agree, I hope its only that one scene.  Because if he seriously runs around wreaking havoc bare chested with energy wip's the whole movie...... my suspension of belief can only go so far, no matter how awesome the movie is.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: March 14, 2010, 01:15:32 AM

It could have been:  

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:24:41 AM by Evildrider »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 14, 2010, 03:04:08 AM

Fuck sake, he's got an arc reactor he built IN A CAVE on his chest.

Of course he has  a fucking forcefield !!!

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: March 14, 2010, 05:10:18 AM

Whiplash is a tactial genius!  Hmm I'm facing a foe who is armored, flies and can attack at range with beams and explosive mini-missiles.  I know!  I'll walk towards him and use melee weapons!  Brilliant!

It IS interesting how we can accept a suit of armor in a briefcase, but not an unarmored power whip user.  It's when suspension of disbelief meets with reality.  Why didn't the eagles fly them to Mount Doom?  And so on. 

My take on it is that in the alternate universe of Iron Man, no security is brave enough to shoot, after all, that's why THAT universe spawned superheroes. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: March 14, 2010, 06:00:29 AM

I remember the comic where Blacklash went back to his home town and end up whipping the local school bullies.  That was silly. 

<----- WUA Posting from Scotland.  Friend got very, very boring.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: March 14, 2010, 06:24:19 AM

Damn. I almost wish they hadn't shown how the suitcase worked. That was awesome, but would have preferred it in the theater with hundreds of others of late-30-somethings going "awesome!".

<--- WUA posting from the can.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #87 on: March 14, 2010, 08:22:58 AM

Yeah, but it's a trailer, you know they give all the good shit away up front these days.

<---- WUA Posting from the cave where Tony Stark built his first suit.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 14, 2010, 11:46:17 AM

<---- WUA Posting from the cave where Tony Stark built his first suit.

This can only go to good places.  why so serious?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: March 14, 2010, 11:47:55 AM

God damnit, I always suspected this forum was nothing but a bunch of WAU gimmick accounts.  I knew Schild couldn't possibly be a real person.

-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #90 on: March 14, 2010, 12:05:18 PM

Sup thou.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: March 14, 2010, 01:42:07 PM

You all assume that security guards are going to calmly react, draw and aim at the crazy man on the track while the crowd around them freaks out. Maybe they'll actually show security guys trying to get a shot but unable to because of the screaming, running civilians.

<-- Wua posting from Hell. Wait? What? That shit's not real, my bad. WUA on a bad acid trip.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 14, 2010, 01:51:49 PM

This is all silly, you are arguing about reality in a superhero movie.

<-- WUA Posting from your Mom's.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: March 14, 2010, 02:27:39 PM

Smells like mech debate

<- WUA, posting from Gryeyes house.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #94 on: March 14, 2010, 02:39:51 PM

What's WUA doing in Scotland anyway?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 14, 2010, 02:43:26 PM

PLAYING THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!

FINAL FANTASY

<----- WUA posting from Grunk's house on Furiously's account.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 14, 2010, 10:12:05 PM

We demand nostalgia in this movie

<--- WUA, posting from a Scottish reeducation camp. Bleak is good, bleak is good...

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #97 on: March 14, 2010, 10:20:46 PM

Some jokes are funny, this one isn't.

<-- schild posting from schild's account.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 15, 2010, 02:06:23 AM

You don't find much funny these days.  You've turned into a miserable fucker.

You're welcome to join my support group or share my Citalopram.

why so serious?

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 15, 2010, 09:06:25 AM

Comic Book Security Guards:  Where all the Storm Troopers went when the Death Star Blew Up.

Not all of them.

Lateredit: While I stand by my post I also missed the whole next page of silliness.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:00:22 PM by NowhereMan »

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 15, 2010, 03:26:53 PM

I didn't recognize Scarlett Johansson. I'm not sure I like that casting, but I'm positive it won't matter.  tongue
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #101 on: March 15, 2010, 03:58:06 PM

You know you're old when you don't get a comic reference image and just don't give a damn.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 15, 2010, 04:01:26 PM

Pretty sure it's going to turn out that Whiplash's apparatus repels bullets, etc. He appears to have an arc reactor, too.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #103 on: March 15, 2010, 07:55:35 PM

Personally, I'm going to wait for the movie to come out before making complaints about how stupid something is or not. Whiplash may have just been going for a vulgar display of power, to show Stark that he has an equal.

Also: forget all of the idea about security guards - Whiplash is going after Stark without any armour on. Stark, who may very well have ways to kill people strapped to his body at all times. I don't think Whiplash is overly concerned about being shot in the head in any case.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 15, 2010, 11:51:46 PM

Personally, I'm going to wait for the movie to come out before making complaints about how stupid something is or not. Whiplash may have just been going for a vulgar display of power, to show Stark that he has an equal.

Also: forget all of the idea about security guards - Whiplash is going after Stark without any armour on. Stark, who may very well have ways to kill people strapped to his body at all times. I don't think Whiplash is overly concerned about being shot in the head in any case.
All this is more or less what I'm hoping for.  It's just that it's hard to tell from the trailer.

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 2  
Jump to: