Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:41:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron Man 2  (Read 77849 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: August 09, 2009, 02:50:53 AM

Edit:  Trailer
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:13:41 AM by Velorath »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:28:51 AM

Mickey Rourke as the villain is a fantastic choice. Hope he can bring is best work to the role rather than pissing it away.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 01:27:48 AM

Do want!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:13:41 AM

Looks good so far, I have faith that Favreau can pull off another great movie.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:17:13 AM

Fucking War Machine.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 02:19:56 AM

Fucking War Machine.

Speaking of which.  I like Don Cheadle like 100 times better than Terrence Howard.  Shame that they didn't have Don in the first one though.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:17:38 AM

Unfortunately, i haven't been terribly impressed with either of the actors for Rhodes.  He just does not match the personality / physical look i expect from the character after having read so many Iron man comics, where as RDJ as Stark fits almost too perfectly to be imagined.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 03:22:29 AM

I just assumed it was a different character, didn't know they recast the part.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:29:44 AM

Fucking War Machine.

Speaking of which.  I like Don Cheadle like 100 times better than Terrence Howard.  Shame that they didn't have Don in the first one though.

I think Terrence Howard was a much better choice personally and I think he did a great job in the first one, did he ask for too much money or something?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 11:43:30 AM

Fucking War Machine.

I think Terrence Howard was a much better choice personally and I think he did a great job in the first one, did he ask for too much money or something?

At least in Paramount's view.  I heard they tried to lowball Mickey Rourke, causing him to almost turn down the part.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 07:42:08 PM

Fucking War Machine.

At least in Paramount's Marvel Studio's view.  I heard they tried to lowball Mickey Rourke, causing him to almost turn down the part.

Marvel Studio tried to lowball everyone after (despite) the success of "Iron Man" - don't know about RDJ, but Favreau definitely had to fight for a pay increase.

Terrence Howard was the highest paid actor in that movie because he was the first to sign on. He didn't want that amount of money to go down for the sequel - given the first film was so huge as well - and he claims that the studio told him they were going to write him up a new contract but that meant he had to cancel his old contract first. Apparently he found out at the same time as the rest of us that Don Cheadle was going to be replacing him. (Publicly he's not pissed at Cheadle since apparently Cheadle helped get him into "Crash", but I'm sure he's just learned something about the film business.)

I think Howard did well with the little he had to do in the first movie and his best work was in the deleted scenes. But then I also think the alternate "Pepper finds out Tony is Iron Man" is 1000x better than the meet cute version that appears in the movie.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 04:26:59 PM

Hm.  Not sure about the insidery Hollywood politic sausage-making, but Cheadle is fucking rad and I like him in everything (yes, even Mission to Mars).

He and Bill Nighy are the only people I've ever had an Actor Wishlist setup for in Tivo.

Also, IMDB says he's playing the same character in The Avengers.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 04:36:54 PM

Fucking War Machine.

I think Terrence Howard should have tried putting a little bass in his voice for the role.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 08:22:37 PM

Ah, shame about Howard.. Didn't know that. I think he's a great actor. But Cheadle is as well.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 10:13:08 PM

They're both good actors, just from a franchise standpoint it's not a good move or at least not one i'll enjoy.  I can only think watching both movies back to back will be a little jarring because of actor switching.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 05:15:25 AM

Mickey Rourke is probably going to be a cool motherfucker in this though. You'll end up forgetting about it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 05:37:17 PM

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 08:58:04 PM

Very. Fucking. Yes.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 09:00:41 PM

Wow, War Machine, Black Widow and Nick Fury. Couldn't identify the whip dude though, is it going to be Hydra or something?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 09:03:13 PM

I think he's a combination of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo. Whiplash was.. umm.. a dude with whips. Crimson was a Russian who wore a powered suit.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 03:01:07 AM

Do like

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 03:43:07 AM

Yeah I was thinking Crimson Dynamo when I heard the Russian accent. I felt somewhat confused by the lack of armour but if they're going to combine him with someone else makes sense. Looks like quite a few characters for a solo movie but I guess if they're setting up an Avengers movie they're going to want to be expanding the universe for viewers.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 03:45:22 AM

Nerdgasm!
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 06:20:27 AM

Excellent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 06:59:25 AM

Excellent.

crimson whiplash isn't even going to be the bigbad guy in the movie, I'll be surprised if he's in it past 45min

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 08:54:17 AM

Fantastic!  May seems so far away now...

Oh, and Garry Shandling as a senator?  I laughed at Stark's "Yes, dear?" response though.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 10:32:17 AM

Excellent.

crimson whiplash isn't even going to be the bigbad guy in the movie, I'll be surprised if he's in it past 45min

I think it's probably going to be Justin Hammer as the main baddie with stolen Stark technology.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 10:40:28 AM

Again?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 12:15:37 PM

Yes, they are setting up Armor Wars type stuff so they can have assloads of guys in armor duking it out. I'm ok with that.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 12:42:19 PM

Again?

Besides armored/high tech supervillains using stolen Stark tech, Iron Man's rogues gallery is pretty silly.  Mandarin?  Grey Gargoyle?  Rhino?  MODAK?  Spymaster?

I remember a storyline from the early '90s where AIM took over a small country... that could work.  Super science evil army vs Iron Man sounds like fun though it sounds alot like what Venture Bros. has been doing.

Edit:
Fin Fan Foon? or whatever the space dragon was called would go over well with the public.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:44:14 PM by Johny Cee »
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 01:13:20 PM

Actually, i think Mandarin would make a pretty cool villian if done correctly.  Besides, they already had one of the Rings of Power show up in the first movie (even if the guy wearing it had no idea what it was).

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 01:31:10 PM

Isn't Iron Man in the Marvel universe?  With Thor and Spiderman and all their associated villains?  Having each movie just be him fighting an evil version of him, possibly with help from more good versions of him, seems like it'd get old.

That said, the trailer was still  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 01:36:55 PM

Actually, i think Mandarin would make a pretty cool villian if done correctly.  Besides, they already had one of the Rings of Power show up in the first movie (even if the guy wearing it had no idea what it was).

There is so much silly or borderline racist baggage with the Mandarin, I think you'd have to end up doing a full revamp of the character.  Even when the RoPs were retconned from "magic" to alien space dragon superscience, that left you with the cheesy looking giant space dragon baggage.

Especially with the modern climate re China in the US...  A Chinese caracature hell-bent on restoring China to it's natural place as the dominant world power might come off as a bit jingoistic.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 01:37:35 PM

Mandarin was the main villain behind Stane in the first movie, but you never saw him nor was he even mentioned. I'm pretty sure he'll be behind the overarching plot for Iron Man 2 and the Avengers.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 01:48:17 PM

Having each movie just be him fighting an evil version of him, possibly with help from more good versions of him, seems like it'd get old.

Man, that's like some deep ass metaphor for his alcoholism, man... duuuude... he's seen some stuff... he's done some things...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Iron Man 2  
Jump to: