Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 09:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: 1.05 is here - Perfect time to come back. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.05 is here - Perfect time to come back.  (Read 176284 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: July 01, 2009, 10:35:40 AM

That's veeery tempting.

Do eet.  I can taunt you for an hour every week. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #176 on: July 01, 2009, 10:56:51 AM

I couldn't find my disks... but I did find something for others.

Newegg is selling AoC right now for $12.99 with free shipping.  Tough to beat that. 
That's veeery tempting.

Eh, do I still need to buy the box?  Paying for a client is so 2003.  Someone answer today, please.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #177 on: July 01, 2009, 11:10:17 AM

I couldn't find my disks... but I did find something for others.

Newegg is selling AoC right now for $12.99 with free shipping.  Tough to beat that. 
That's veeery tempting.

Eh, do I still need to buy the box?  Paying for a client is so 2003.  Someone answer today, please.
I have no clue. Are you asking if you can upgrade from the demo to a regular sub without paying for a box?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #178 on: July 01, 2009, 11:10:56 AM

So, I finally fiddled with the settings. Turns out some of the stuff just doesn't work on my card, such as Bloom. No idea why, but the check box is grayed out.

One thing I did notice that improved performance in AoC a lot is turning on Tripple Buffering in the Nvidia Control panel (not a AoC setting). I can keep the settings set at 'high' while still enjoying a decent and playable frame rate. I was suprised that it works, since I was told that tripple buffering only really works well on cards with very high memory, not my 512 card.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #179 on: July 01, 2009, 11:12:47 AM

I have no clue. Are you asking if you can upgrade from the demo to a regular sub without paying for a box?

Well, sure.  I believe the answer is "I have to buy the client" but can't hurt to ask.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: July 01, 2009, 11:22:40 AM

Upgrading from the trial to the full client is $19.99 if you get the digital download directly from Funcom, just did it last night after not being able to send tells pissed me off enough to stop messing around.  Includes a free month + 2 days allowance for downloading the full client so your basically paying $5 for the client and a 1 month sub.

So it's basically a matter of time vs. money and whether or not you want the physical disks.  The deal from Newegg is cheaper but assuming you can DL the client faster than their free shipping it's slower.
schild
Administrator

Reply #181 on: July 01, 2009, 11:38:11 AM

I doubt any download would be faster than Steam if you end up purchasing it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #182 on: July 01, 2009, 11:41:58 AM

I'm pretty sure buying it from newegg.com and getting the Super Saver shipping would be faster, based on my experience in downloading the trial.  Also, it's $12.99 that way.  I already bought it, so no need to debate any more.

CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #183 on: July 01, 2009, 11:46:47 AM

... after not being able to send tells pissed me off enough to stop messing around. 
So that explains why you didnt respond after I sent you a tell, after I didn't respond/see your message in general chat  Ohhhhh, I see.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: July 01, 2009, 12:09:21 PM

To be honest, this is a game where having the discs is probably a good thing.  I have downloaded this game once (I do not recall why) and installed it from discs no less than three times.  It's just too fucking huge to want to deal with a download....at least if you're like me and have no patience once you decide to play a game.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #185 on: July 01, 2009, 12:34:38 PM

Dammit.

Two weeks with f-thirtards on Agony and then join Red Panda on the less-tardy server?  why so serious?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #186 on: July 01, 2009, 12:48:06 PM

Sounds like a plan.  See you next week.

Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: July 01, 2009, 12:48:58 PM

... after not being able to send tells pissed me off enough to stop messing around. 
So that explains why you didnt respond after I sent you a tell, after I didn't respond/see your message in general chat  Ohhhhh, I see.

Yeah, after bumping into or running past several F13 people in Tortage, trying to send a quick tell, and getting the you are not a subscriber error message every time I was pretty much ready to go full rageguy.  So sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring anyone.  swamp poop
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: July 01, 2009, 02:03:02 PM

Dammit.

Two weeks with f-thirtards on Agony and then join Red Panda on the less-tardy server?  why so serious?
Just be warned I'm not playing all that much and I'm still just a Trollop.  No one's taken the time to boost my status, so I can't do anything guild-wise other than show off our tag.  Or throw things into a bank no one can withdraw from.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: July 02, 2009, 06:57:52 PM

Sounds like a plan.  See you next week.
Looks like next week for me, as well. Watch out for newegg's new mail service. They DHL to the goddamned post office and then it goes through USPS  swamp poop

I'm used to getting newegg stuff the next morning, this sucks (since I use 'em for work, too).
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #190 on: July 04, 2009, 10:11:28 AM

So, I started a new toon on Agony, leveling her up. I get to level 12 and I can't do any more Nightime quests, so I switch to daytime. I load up on daytime quests to get on with things. I enter Tortage Underhalls or whatever they're called, and I notice that the 2 or 3 other players there have their names in red, just like the enemy NPCs. I think, well, surely, we're here for the questage, and this is just saying that they're possible targets. Lets see how it plays out!

Behold, soon enough, two level 19 players, a HoX and an Assassin, start ganking me. Non-stop. I don't last very long as a level 13 finger twiddler. I figured perhaps there was some mechanic in place to prevent this obvious abuse of level difference, but aparently not!

So, the long and short of it is that till I reach level 19,  it looks like the newbie areas are fodder for people who should have moved on to the mainland, but are malingering in Tortage for gankage!

Is there something I'm obviously doing wrong? Is there a setting set by default that says 'azzreip me plz' or did I accidentally toggle a flag on my toon?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: July 04, 2009, 10:33:58 AM

No, you're not doing anything wrong, you're just fodder.  It's my biggest gripe about having levels in a PvP game.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: July 04, 2009, 11:22:11 AM

While I used to love open pvp, I'm becoming more of a fan of optional pvp.  When I get done with a 12h day at work, I occasionally like to just grind mindlessly away at a game paying half attention to it.  If I want to play a focused game, I'll head to the pvp area for it.  It gives me the ability to do both while still making progress on my toon. 

I think I'm going to start playing on a pvp optional server.  If anyone else is interested, pick a server and I'll find you there.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #193 on: July 04, 2009, 11:54:52 AM

While I used to love open pvp, I'm becoming more of a fan of optional pvp.  When I get done with a 12h day at work, I occasionally like to just grind mindlessly away at a game paying half attention to it.  If I want to play a focused game, I'll head to the pvp area for it.  It gives me the ability to do both while still making progress on my toon. 

I think I'm going to start playing on a pvp optional server.  If anyone else is interested, pick a server and I'll find you there.

I have a couple rolled up on Ironspine, but it seems pretty dead.  Wiccana may be more populated.  I'll roll one up on whatever server is the chosen one, too.  Maybe Falconeer can suggest a decent one.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: July 04, 2009, 12:30:52 PM

Wiccana seems to have a decent population, at least in the 50+ range.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #195 on: July 04, 2009, 01:09:08 PM

I'm going to go ahead and reroll on Wiccana too. The ganking by bored insta50s in Khopshef is getting more than a little old.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #196 on: July 04, 2009, 01:22:30 PM

I am as well - I actually have a level 38 Necro there already.  Do we need to start a guild?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #197 on: July 04, 2009, 01:25:18 PM

I apparenly am a trollop in Bat Country! Perhaps schild could log in long enough to hand out invite privs?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #198 on: July 04, 2009, 01:32:11 PM

I am as well.  Also, fyi, the triple buffering earlier in this thread seems to have improved my performance dramatically - will test out this evening.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: July 04, 2009, 02:45:46 PM

So, I started a new toon on Agony, leveling her up. I get to level 12 and I can't do any more Nightime quests, so I switch to daytime. I load up on daytime quests to get on with things. I enter Tortage Underhalls or whatever they're called, and I notice that the 2 or 3 other players there have their names in red, just like the enemy NPCs. I think, well, surely, we're here for the questage, and this is just saying that they're possible targets. Lets see how it plays out!

Behold, soon enough, two level 19 players, a HoX and an Assassin, start ganking me. Non-stop. I don't last very long as a level 13 finger twiddler. I figured perhaps there was some mechanic in place to prevent this obvious abuse of level difference, but aparently not!

So, the long and short of it is that till I reach level 19,  it looks like the newbie areas are fodder for people who should have moved on to the mainland, but are malingering in Tortage for gankage!

Is there something I'm obviously doing wrong? Is there a setting set by default that says 'azzreip me plz' or did I accidentally toggle a flag on my toon?

That's odd, on my level 19 necro i found that i couldn't attack folks lower level then me unless they attacked first.... 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #200 on: July 04, 2009, 03:28:39 PM

That's possible. Unfortunately, my twol main damage spells have splash effect, so probably someone ran past my target as one went off, flagging me me as agressor or some such.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #201 on: July 04, 2009, 07:44:15 PM

As a necromancer, I would get the "aggressor" flag almost the second I would enter the zone. I think AOE spells trigger it whether or not anyone is nearby.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:16 PM

That's odd, on my level 19 necro i found that i couldn't attack folks lower level then me unless they attacked first.... 

I don't think this is the case; my level 13 assassin went into the underhalls, started stabbing some NPC, and got ganked from across the room by a stealthed level 18 ranger.  If there's some secret "flag" button or something, I don't know what it is.
skrigg
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: July 04, 2009, 09:21:26 PM

On PvP servers pretty much every zone is full on FFA pvp. In Tortage the Underhalls, White Sands, Costal Cave, Arch Ruins are all FFA. The rest of the game with the exception of the main cities are usually all FFA. There is no flag system, if you see someone in an FFA zone unless you are in a group or guild with them, you can attack them. There are no level restrictions, the Murder system was implemented because of this.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #204 on: July 04, 2009, 09:39:39 PM

On PvP servers pretty much every zone is full on FFA pvp. In Tortage the Underhalls, White Sands, Costal Cave, Arch Ruins are all FFA. The rest of the game with the exception of the main cities are usually all FFA. There is no flag system, if you see someone in an FFA zone unless you are in a group or guild with them, you can attack them. There are no level restrictions, the Murder system was implemented because of this.

Can you explain the murder system?  There have been times I could not attack others of higher level. 

skrigg
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: July 04, 2009, 11:25:34 PM

Can you explain the murder system?  There have been times I could not attack others of higher level. 

Basically if you attack someone who has a grey name, or much lower than you are you get murder points, eventually you will become a criminal and unable to use certain vendors and whatnot. There are camps where you can purchase goods from vendors that sell the same items (like potions)  but they are more expensive. You can do quests that will take away murder points or eventually as time passes you will loose criminal status. There is probably more to it then that but that's the basics.

Unless they have added some new pvp rule in the last 4 months (I just started playing again) the only time you should be prevented from attacking anyone at all is if you are in a major city zone or grouped/guilded with the person.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #206 on: July 05, 2009, 09:11:40 AM

I'm torn. I can live without the PvP, but I've heard so many comments to the effect that PvP is the entire point of the game and you're missing out without it.
I think I rolled Wiccana at release, but barely got out of Tortage when I quit.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #207 on: July 05, 2009, 09:41:40 AM

Well,one can still do PVP on the 'care bare' servers, just in specific zones for that purpose

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: July 05, 2009, 08:49:56 PM

Holy shit I don't even have the box in yet, get back from the mountains and see everyone jumping ship from the open pvp server.

I'm so shocked I brought back a taboo!

Murder system? THAT WORKED SO WELL IN UO

WAT CUD GO RONG

why so serious?

Srsly, guyz, save some lulz for me forffs
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #209 on: July 05, 2009, 09:05:51 PM

Holy shit I don't even have the box in yet, get back from the mountains and see everyone jumping ship from the open pvp server.

I'm so shocked I brought back a taboo!

Murder system? THAT WORKED SO WELL IN UO

WAT CUD GO RONG

why so serious?

Srsly, guyz, save some lulz for me forffs

heh.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: 1.05 is here - Perfect time to come back.  
Jump to: