Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: 1.05 is here - Perfect time to come back. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.05 is here - Perfect time to come back.  (Read 176276 times)
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: June 29, 2009, 02:17:23 PM

The thing is, with 1.5 just a few days ago, everyone is reworking builds, as the majority of popular builds have been made obsolete. The same goes for class power levels. Since people are not sure, a class that is considered weak today, could be the next FotM class once a new feat build is discovered for it.

Yeah, that's basically why picking a class feels like throwing darts in the dark right now, especially as late arrival to AoC.  I've tried a ToS, Necro, Conq, and Guardian so far with Ranger and Assassin on the list for test runs tonight after work.  Hopefully that has most of the playstyles covered so I can make a somewhat educated choice, even if it's a preschool level education.   why so serious?

One thing I'm wondering about the priest classes, is if their heals get significantly more effective or efficient as they progress.  On my ToS his heals were pretty pathetic and cost hefty amounts of mana so he ended up playing more like a dps caster with some weak "oh crap" buttons that drained his mana pretty severely.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #141 on: June 29, 2009, 02:31:59 PM

On my ToS his heals were pretty pathetic and cost hefty amounts of mana so he ended up playing more like a dps caster with some weak "oh crap" buttons that drained his mana pretty severely.

Thats pretty much what a ToS is, unless you spec specifically for healing. The PoM is the main healing class.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #142 on: June 29, 2009, 02:33:24 PM

Spec stormcrown. Stand near the mobs. You'll have as much mana as you want.
Also, stormfield radically changes the way you'll play your ToS.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: June 29, 2009, 04:08:27 PM

On my ToS his heals were pretty pathetic and cost hefty amounts of mana so he ended up playing more like a dps caster with some weak "oh crap" buttons that drained his mana pretty severely.

Thats pretty much what a ToS is, unless you spec specifically for healing. The PoM is the main healing class.
Also, heals are complete ass until level 20, then they become usable.  I have found this to be true for everyone, even PoMs.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #144 on: June 29, 2009, 07:28:22 PM

I'm really enjoying my ToS and my HoX is pretty good too.  It really brings up my anticipation that the casting classes are going to be a lot more powerful late game for PvP.  It seems like it would be much easier to jump around spamming spells than worrying about combos. 
skrigg
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: June 29, 2009, 08:19:26 PM

I'm really enjoying my ToS and my HoX is pretty good too.  It really brings up my anticipation that the casting classes are going to be a lot more powerful late game for PvP.  It seems like it would be much easier to jump around spamming spells than worrying about combos. 

That is pretty much the problem some people are having with the game after the patch to 1.05. They basically nerfed melee damage and buffed caster HP, couple that with the fact that casters don't have to use stam for anything but kiting and you have melee not being able to do much when they get face time. Imo they need to up melee damage a bit and let combo users charge combos without a target with no penalty again.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #146 on: June 29, 2009, 08:57:25 PM

Or give melee classes a sprinting bar.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #147 on: June 29, 2009, 10:00:06 PM

Its like its 2007 again.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #148 on: June 29, 2009, 10:00:10 PM

One thing I liked about WAR - no mana, no stamina. Just energy at an equal availability for casters and melee. It was a good solution to problems like this - but requires integration from the design stage.

Course it didn't stop balance issues, but it was a good mechanic. Not sure if that was GW or Mythic. (Never played the TT game)

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #149 on: June 30, 2009, 12:08:43 AM

I thought I was playing Gothic for a minute, so I turned on DX10 and the client shit the bed.  Whee, FunCom!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #150 on: June 30, 2009, 06:58:11 AM

I thought I was playing Gothic for a minute, so I turned on DX10 and the client shit the bed.  Whee, FunCom!
I'm on an 8800GT and it didn't even shit the bed in DX10. Performance took a hit but it was still about 10-15FPS. I think of 1-5FPS (slideshows) as shitting the best. So what'd you do?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: June 30, 2009, 07:10:28 AM

I am actually installing this now.  Wow.

DX10 was active when we played a year ago, wasn't it?  I seem to remember getting 15-25 FPS in the worst parts of Tortage, but I may have had the resolution down.  Also on a 8800GT.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #152 on: June 30, 2009, 07:17:13 AM

DX10 was active when we played a year ago, wasn't it? 

No it wasn't.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #153 on: June 30, 2009, 08:25:58 AM

Well, I turned on the god rays and stuff, and maybe I'm just in the wrong zone, at the wrong time of day, but I'm just not seeing it. Maybe I'm just spoiled by single player games.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #154 on: June 30, 2009, 08:33:54 AM

Well, I turned on the god rays and stuff, and maybe I'm just in the wrong zone, at the wrong time of day, but I'm just not seeing it. Maybe I'm just spoiled by single player games.
I don't know of many single player games with them... I mean, Crysis, as mentioned, but uhhh, maybe Uncharted? Don't really remember there.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #155 on: June 30, 2009, 08:54:16 AM

I'm also on a 8800GT - I get about 20 fps in DX 10. Playable, but pretty choppy - I notice video lag when opening loot bags for instance. In DX 9 I get about 70 - 90 fps. So, yeah.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: June 30, 2009, 09:30:04 AM

I've got 2 8800 GT's running in SLI and get between 20-40 fps in DX 10 (over 100 in DX9 but it looks like crap by comparison), the only thing that annoys me is the texture popping (in both DX9 and DX10) when you move in range of something and it switches from a low res. texture to a high one.

I haven't spent a ton of time fiddling with the video options, but my minimal efforts didn't seem to have much effect on the texture popping front and I was surprised it was just as bad in DX9 even with a maxed out view/range slider.  If there is any way to minimize the popping without making the game a slideshow I'd love some pointers/advice from those who are more experienced with the video options in AoC.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #157 on: June 30, 2009, 10:43:39 AM

I'm on an 8800GT and it didn't even shit the bed in DX10. Performance took a hit but it was still about 10-15FPS. I think of 1-5FPS (slideshows) as shitting the best. So what'd you do?

Best I can recall, I changed to 1680x1050, which worked fine, then turned on AAx2.  Worked fine, so I turned on DX10 because it still looked shitty.  I restarted the client, it died and I filled out the little report, complained in this thread and went to bed.

Note I am running this on W7 RC, so YMMV.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: June 30, 2009, 11:20:52 AM

I had issues with shadows flickering in DX10 running two 4850's in crossfire.

I just kept it at DX9.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #159 on: June 30, 2009, 12:28:55 PM

But I want to see this game look good.  So far it looks like it looked good in 2005.

Clock is ticking on my trial, so I'll have to hurry.  Raidou the Demonologist on Agony.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #160 on: June 30, 2009, 03:06:57 PM

"It is possible your resource database has corrupt data in it" indeed. Ohhhhh, I see.

This game had better rock hard.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #161 on: June 30, 2009, 03:39:37 PM

"It is possible your resource database has corrupt data in it" indeed. Ohhhhh, I see.

It told me that too, I said skip.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #162 on: June 30, 2009, 04:36:40 PM

It told me that too, I said skip.

It only does this when I try to run the DX10 client.

If I picked the EU client instead of the NA cilent, would I get "extra" things?

Also do I need to save these skillpoints?  I don't feel like I need to bump up Bandage right now.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #163 on: June 30, 2009, 04:38:24 PM

I think you'll be disappointed.  It is better, but not phenomenal at this point.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #164 on: June 30, 2009, 05:19:26 PM

Also do I need to save these skillpoints?  I don't feel like I need to bump up Bandage right now.

Not really. If you're a healer you'll never need points in bandaging, and points in the running stuff are mostly useless. Spend all the rest in whatever you want, just don't sink more into climbing than you need at the moment, since respeccing isn't exactly cheap.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #165 on: June 30, 2009, 05:24:25 PM

Not really. If you're a healer you'll never need points in bandaging, and points in the running stuff are mostly useless. Spend all the rest in whatever you want, just don't sink more into climbing than you need at the moment, since respeccing isn't exactly cheap.

For a caster, Hiding and Casting Concentration are pretty good to keep maxed.
hanzou
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: June 30, 2009, 07:00:48 PM

All this fps talk is scaring me.   ACK!

Anyone playing this on a 128mb video card? 
I still haven't gotten the game installed, but I'm on a 2.2ghz core 2, 4gigs ram, 128mb nvidiasomething laptop.
Will report on playability once I'm up and running.

hi
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: June 30, 2009, 08:07:09 PM

After a more thorough run through the video options I've managed to get rid of the texture popping and crank my frames way up in DX10.  If you want max performance just turn off shadows, cranked most of my draw distances and am running AA x 8 and still have 70+ fps in DX10.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: July 01, 2009, 06:16:10 AM

All this fps talk is scaring me.   ACK!

Anyone playing this on a 128mb video card? 
I still haven't gotten the game installed, but I'm on a 2.2ghz core 2, 4gigs ram, 128mb nvidiasomething laptop.
Will report on playability once I'm up and running.

It should scare you...sounds like you'll be playing Conan The Slideshow.  My laptop has a 7600 mobile (256mb?) that only barely ran it.  I'm betting you'll have to turn shit waaaay down. 

My 8800 GT seems to be doing okay at 1900x1200 in DX 10 with something between medium and high settings (a few tweaks here an there).  I'm sure I haven't found the sweet spot yet, but the engine seems to be a little more efficient than it was a year ago.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #169 on: July 01, 2009, 08:03:36 AM

:(

$20 for a server transfer.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: July 01, 2009, 08:50:01 AM

Should you keep going with this I'd transfer one of my 80s to your server. Although I doubt it's possible to transfer EU to NA.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #171 on: July 01, 2009, 10:22:39 AM

FYI, I'm leaving tomorrow for vacation and will be outside the sweet, sweet protection of the U.S. borders.  I believe my trial will expire before I get back but I also believe I have decided to make a real account.  Although I've only made it to lv6 and have not actually gotten past that place with the panthers at Tortage gate.  It's either this or Guild Wars.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #172 on: July 01, 2009, 10:23:09 AM

Should you keep going with this I'd transfer one of my 80s to your server. Although I doubt it's possible to transfer EU to NA.

Holy crap Falc, you changed your avatar, its been how long now?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #173 on: July 01, 2009, 10:32:16 AM

I couldn't find my disks... but I did find something for others.

Newegg is selling AoC right now for $12.99 with free shipping.  Tough to beat that. 
That's veeery tempting.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: July 01, 2009, 10:34:56 AM

Holy crap Falc, you changed your avatar, its been how long now?

That's very temporary. A tribute to a man I deeply loved.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: 1.05 is here - Perfect time to come back.  
Jump to: