Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:09:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Paul Barnett speaks on being "Dazed and Confused" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Barnett speaks on being "Dazed and Confused"  (Read 164598 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: July 20, 2009, 08:20:28 AM

He's trying very poorly to fit in.
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: July 20, 2009, 12:34:40 PM

Sort of like a puppy? They try so hard but just end up peeing all over the floor.

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: July 20, 2009, 03:09:13 PM

To be fair, this forum has so few threads that this zombie thread was only like 4 down the list.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #318 on: July 20, 2009, 08:59:21 PM

Yeah, but the guy is the stereotypical butthurt Warhammer stalker. I don't know how he hasn't been deleted yet.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #319 on: July 20, 2009, 09:53:45 PM

Yeah, but the guy is the stereotypical butthurt Warhammer stalker. I don't know how he hasn't been deleted yet.

He hasn't busted out the 5 paragraph manifesto yet.

-Rasix
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: July 20, 2009, 11:06:02 PM

He hasn't busted out the 5 paragraph manifesto yet.

Could be worse.  Could be a one paragraph manifesto.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: July 21, 2009, 05:02:33 PM

lol, are they worse or better then a stereotypical butthurt UO stalker?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #322 on: July 23, 2009, 12:02:25 PM

Worse. If he were some deranged malcontent here to tell us how Trammel ruined the universe, at least I'd have some fun.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: July 23, 2009, 05:49:53 PM

UO was great, just needed a justice system to somewhat police the reds.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #324 on: July 23, 2009, 08:51:33 PM

Tease.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #325 on: July 24, 2009, 02:08:17 AM

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/21/develop-09-when-a-creative-director-attacks/#more-15044

This is about the recent Develop conference in Brighton that Paul gave a talk at.

Paul Barnett’s special Paul Barnett show (subtitled “Or what I learned this year with EA!”) was characteristically scatter shot. Like a blunderbuss filled with nails, fragments of old CRASH cover-tapes and radioactive filings. The title’s somewhat deceptive, being less what he’s learned recently, and more a format for a general meditation on creativity and videogames. “Meditation” is a word, I suspect, Barnett would bristle at. As far as theorists go, he’s resolutely anti-theory. If you have to draw a through line via all his observations, it’d be that. Show fear and suspicion at those who claim to be able to put a neat graph over art.

He’d bristle at art too. One of his opening points is that he’s not in the business of art – but in business. He makes commercial games. That’s the point of them. Which isn’t to say that they can’t be artful in and of themselves – but if you don’t sell, there’s no fucking point.
Elite was shit.

So much of his gimmick is to hold the opposing viewpoint, "Elite was shit", :shock: :horror:

Here's last year's talk.

Surprisingly, he noted that he does not play other MMOs, including the ubiquitous World of Warcraft. "[MMOs] are cancerous and will change the way you think," he warned. "People on the team come with a design idea - they are corrupted in their thinking by WoW, corrupted to such a degree that they don’t even realize it, not capable of thinking sideways because they knew the answer, and it worked, and it made a lot of money for another game. Why would you do something different?"

He answered his own question: "WoW is a work of flawed genius. This means that when you dismantle [it], you can never be too sure if you got the genius or the flaw." World Of Warcraft is to MMOs what The Beatles are to music, Barnett said - WoW made prior MMOs irrelevant. But you can’t be The Beatles. If you try, he quipped, you will "...end up as the Monkees."

"I can’t tell what is flaw and what is genius in WoW, so I don’t want to get sucked into copying things in case I get the wrong one," the amusing Barnett continued. "'No one’s going to play our game unless it also had elephants!' No. Don’t be swayed. And stop playing World Of Warcraft."
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #326 on: July 24, 2009, 02:48:17 AM

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: July 24, 2009, 03:08:30 AM

At this point I am convinced this is all a giant trolling research experiment for his PhD.  I can't believe his review board keeps signing off on this. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: July 24, 2009, 03:21:18 AM

At this point I am convinced this is all a giant trolling research experiment for his PhD.  I can't believe his review board keeps signing off on this. 

That, or he is actually Sasha Baron Cohen, and this is all one big bit.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #329 on: July 24, 2009, 04:04:05 AM

He shows pictures of his office – with as many clipping stuck to the wall as a true Teenage obsessive – which includes his own paintings. He can’t paint, but one of them is made of 42 shades of red paint. It’s a standard enough abstract piece. Of course, Barnett is colour-blind, so it just looks flat to him. Truth and facts.

If Barnett was just a MMO blogger somewhere I think he'd be a genius. Or at least have some good columns now and again.

As someone on the inside, I think it is clear he needs to be a lot more focused. Again, if you go to a talk about a particular topic, you expect to see something on that topic.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: July 24, 2009, 08:59:59 AM

Gods he's such an idiot.  I finally understand why he hasn't been fired yet though.  The suits must think he's a certified genius.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: July 24, 2009, 09:39:01 AM

He's what a corporate suit thinks a punk rocker is. He name drops everything he can think of in the way of bands or games as a sly wink to the actual cool kids in the room. All image, from the sunglasses to the belt buckle to that retarded fucking picture of him with his mouth duct taped. He wants people to think he's The Dead Boys when he's just Generation X. Not unique; there are a million hims in every club, bar and gaming store around the world.

Fuck this guy.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: July 24, 2009, 10:46:56 AM

poseur (plural poseurs)

1. One who affects some behaviour, style, attitude or other condition, often to impress or influence others.

See also

* pretentious

Over and out.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #333 on: July 24, 2009, 12:53:45 PM

Even Wil Wright was happy to explore other... was fired. 

Genius doesn't matter much unless it produces genius profits.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #334 on: July 24, 2009, 01:03:09 PM

No way WW was fired.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #335 on: July 24, 2009, 01:10:39 PM

No way WW was fired.
Oh please.

They shipped him off to a think tank where he can wank around for 7 years before coming up with something new. EA gets first rights to anything that comes out of his thinktank but obviously did it so they didn't have to pay his massive paycheck. He probably lives off royalties from The Sims, Spore and his other crap.

He was as good as fired. As far as gaming is concerned, other than his groundhog like 7 year cycle, he was sent out to pasture.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #336 on: July 24, 2009, 01:25:23 PM

If he was fired he'd just get a new job.  The fact that he hasn't means he's retired or he wants to be the idea man not a manager.

"Me am play gods"
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #337 on: July 24, 2009, 01:35:15 PM

If he was fired he'd just get a new job.  The fact that he hasn't means he's retired or he wants to be the idea man not a manager.

He's been put out to pasture in a field surrounded by EA-brand electric wire. He's free but shouldn't try to touch the sides.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #338 on: July 24, 2009, 04:02:11 PM

15 minutes with Paul Barnett

So it was at the recent Develop conference in Brighton, where the man best known for his work on MMORPG Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning delivered an energetic session titled “When a Creative Director Attacks! or What I Learned this Year with EA!” No sooner had he stepped off the stage, we'd cornered him, tape recorder in hand, for an interview. WARNING! Paul wasn't allowed to talk about BioWare, Mythic or Warhammer (“I just do what I'm told!”). But he was allowed to talk about his job. So we did, despite the fact that he was very, very tired.

The rest is just more of the same, Warhammer was Batman, he now says the the iPhone is the Sex Pistols.

Dragnet
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: July 24, 2009, 04:30:51 PM

WARNING! Paul wasn't allowed to talk about BioWare, Mythic or Warhammer

Yeah but he talk about SWTOR:

VideoGamer.com: On a personal level, you've been working on MMO games for a while now. Is there something else you'd personally fancy trying your hand at, or are MMO games where you'll continue to work in?

PB: The concept of there being MMOs is probably dead. There are just games. There's online games, and very soon there will just be games. They will all be online anyway. I don't think there's an MMO any more. I think there's online games and there's online revenue, and they're sort of going to combine.

Welcome to the SWTOR gameplay concept :D
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #340 on: July 24, 2009, 04:38:16 PM

what MMO development experience did he have before WAR?  Seriously.  MUDs?   

you know I am really losing patience with people who continue to crow about MUD == MMO's

if you want to claim all gameplay design ideas were already done to death on MUD-DEV (which I don't fully believe) then fine.  But STFU about implying to understand modern infrastructure and software services

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: July 24, 2009, 06:43:52 PM

Warhammer was Batman, he now says the the iPhone is the Sex Pistols.

AAAAHHHHH FUCK SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP YOU STUPID FUCKING NAME DROPPING CARTOON PINHEAD FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK GOD SHUT UP ASDHJHASDJHASDJHASDJHSDASD
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: July 24, 2009, 06:49:40 PM

Warhammer was Batman, he now says the the iPhone is the Sex Pistols.

AAAAHHHHH FUCK SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP YOU STUPID FUCKING NAME DROPPING CARTOON PINHEAD FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK GOD SHUT UP ASDHJHASDJHASDJHASDJHSDASD

Something vexes thee?

Hic sunt dracones.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #343 on: July 24, 2009, 08:05:00 PM

He could be right, Warhammer shrinking population allows the removal of the MM part of the MMORPG. So it's now merely an 'Online RPG' :)

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
columba
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: July 24, 2009, 11:47:00 PM

PB cannot explain what he does in that video... makes sense since it's clear he did nothing at WAR, other than shill the game.  It's hilarious that he talks to that audience like it's a bunch of 5 year olds. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #345 on: July 25, 2009, 06:44:36 AM

And with that, I'd call this a successful necro.  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: July 25, 2009, 08:31:05 AM

And with that, I'd call this a successful necro.  ACK!

Anything involving WAR is a necro.
Rondaror
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: July 25, 2009, 05:47:42 PM

Does PB still deserve postings here? He made his job in hyping a game and he did it well (in terms of attention on the web). He even gets a coffee if he rings the bell at my home, trying to sell some insurance to me.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Paul Barnett speaks on being "Dazed and Confused"  
Jump to: