Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Paul Barnett speaks on being "Dazed and Confused" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Barnett speaks on being "Dazed and Confused"  (Read 164597 times)
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: May 28, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Is he seriously boasting about a simple, logical, obvious-to-anyone thing like that? Even though the concept is easy and obvious, WAR's impl like the rest of the game isn't so hot.

WoW added it in patch 3.1 I think, so what. There are hundreds of changes made in a WoW patch that are like that. Little things that might help people play faster.

He'd take credit for the "invention" of the mouse button that depresses.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: May 28, 2009, 09:13:19 PM

He'd take credit for the "invention" of the mouse button that depresses.

Almost everything about this damn game depresses.

Someone needs to remind Mythic that WoW ripping off WAR's queue system doesn't make WAR any better, it makes WoW better.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #282 on: May 28, 2009, 10:35:25 PM

Paul Barnett: What? You think everything is horrible?

The MMO Gamer: Well, not everything, but I can find cause to gripe about many things.

Take your game, for example.

Paul Barnett: Right?

The MMO Gamer: One of the reasons for that burnout I mentioned to you earlier was the queue system, for instanced PvP combat…

Paul Barnett: Where you can join a scenario from anywhere in the world?

The MMO Gamer: Correct.

Paul Barnett: The one that was so good it’s been added to other games? That one? 

The MMO Gamer: Well done on getting that right, even though that's probably the whole point of a MMO. But having scenarios as the most efficient way of character advancement drained players from the world which then made it feel more empty. That was a huge problem. Plus scenarios-grinding was the only not-fully-insane way to grind out lvls for Rank 3 and 4.

Paul Barnett: But we got the idea of scenarios right!

The MMO Gamer: Ideas are only one piece of a very big puzzle. Like public quests tha-

Paul Barnett: The one that was so good it’s been added to other games? That one? 

The MMO Gamer: Yes, PQs were a great idea. But again, Mythic's implementation of them was poor and short-sighted. There were too many PQs that didn't scale to the number of players in the area, which in turn made them impossible to complete unless you had the right number of players. Tie that in with players going off to scenarios so that most PQs tended to stay empty and you've got a wasted opportunity.

Paul Barnett: But the ideas we've got in WAR are great!

The MMO Gamer: I don't play ideas - I play those ideas contained in game systems designed by Mythic. The execution was rubbish. Just look at RvR whe-

Paul Barnett: War is everywhere!

The MMO Gamer: The fuck it is, and you know it.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: May 29, 2009, 10:58:31 AM

Waiting to see this interview on the front page of Kotaku.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: June 03, 2009, 12:36:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71r5HiLa8bA

"ALL THE THINGS THAT WERE BROKEN FOR THE AMERICANS, WE'VE FIXED!"

My God, how embarrassing. (Not as embarrassing as my inability to properly link, apparently)

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: June 03, 2009, 01:07:34 PM

ACK!
schild
Administrator

Reply #286 on: June 03, 2009, 01:11:38 PM

I really really need to get this guy into an interview. Desperately.

Odds of him being at AGC? Basically zero.

Depressing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #287 on: June 03, 2009, 01:17:31 PM

Why can't some crazy-ass batshit insane 48-hours at a PC bang playing Lineage Korean erupt out of the crowd he's speaking to and just nutshot this greasy son of a whore?

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: June 03, 2009, 02:29:08 PM

What's the chance we get our money back as the game was obviously broken as their design manager stated.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: June 03, 2009, 03:03:59 PM

Wow.  That was....just amazing.  The things that were broken for the Americans are STILL broken.  I like how the interpreter tried to stay far away from crazy English guy.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: June 03, 2009, 03:48:11 PM

My God, how embarrassing. (Not as embarrassing as my inability to properly link, apparently)

This is 100% pure, distilled win. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #291 on: June 03, 2009, 05:38:47 PM

Oh fuck I'm rollin so hard. He's trying too hard !

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #292 on: June 03, 2009, 06:46:40 PM

Just when you think he can't do anything more insane, there he goes.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #293 on: June 03, 2009, 07:18:09 PM

When he said "Korea" I thought he was in North Korea and borrowed Kim Jong Ill's sunglasses. 

THAT. 
WAS.
AWESOME.

It gets better and better. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #294 on: June 03, 2009, 07:44:51 PM

I'm pretty sure this guy is drunk most of the time.  He has a hobo's dream job.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #295 on: June 03, 2009, 10:50:01 PM

OMFG. This is...um...fuck. I dunno. Fuck. Please, someone. Stop this man.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #296 on: June 04, 2009, 12:09:49 AM

It took me read through brokentoys.org to get that Barnett saying "WAR is coming to Korea" probably wasn't the most sensitive way he could have phrased it.  awesome, for real

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #297 on: June 04, 2009, 02:33:29 AM

I don't want to watch it, but can you tell me if he is squinting while wearing a conical hat and plastic buck teeth while saying "aaah so" a lot?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Scadente
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: June 04, 2009, 04:02:15 AM

He's wearing sunglasses, inside, while presenting....

enough said

So the kids on the internet say that you're a big noise?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #299 on: June 04, 2009, 04:13:22 AM

He's wearing sunglasses, inside, while presenting....

enough said

That's kind of a running joke though with the WAR presentations. I'm not trying to defend the content or anything but the crappy white sunglasses is a long-established schtick with the WAR team in general, not just Paul.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #300 on: June 04, 2009, 05:02:33 AM

I don't want to watch it, but can you tell me if he is squinting while wearing a conical hat and plastic buck teeth while saying "aaah so" a lot?
Alas, no. Comes very close, though  awesome, for real
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: June 04, 2009, 05:07:41 AM

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: June 04, 2009, 07:01:13 AM

That's kind of a running joke though with the WAR presentations. I'm not trying to defend the content or anything but the crappy white sunglasses is a long-established schtick with the WAR team in general, not just Paul.

Yeah, but did they really need to make the translator wear the glasses? I felt really bad for her just having to translate for Paul but to be forced to wear sunglasses too?  Ohhhhh, I see.

It is amazing though, despite my knowing what he was going to be saying I was still shocked by it.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: June 04, 2009, 08:34:30 AM

I think the choice of words did it for me. You can't make this shit up

and then the attempt to describe dwarves as " SHORT MEN WITH BEARDS". /wince

He did not prepare a speech at all and just went with it. Just a random spray of words that he felt like shooting off.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #304 on: June 04, 2009, 09:09:02 AM

It took me read through brokentoys.org to get that Barnett saying "WAR is coming to Korea" probably wasn't the most sensitive way he could have phrased it.  awesome, for real

To be fair, his presentation was in January, which was well before the current North-South tension level.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #305 on: June 04, 2009, 09:31:05 AM

To be fair, his presentation was in January, which was well before the current North-South tension level.

True, but it's not exactly unknown in the region.

It'd be like starting a presentation off in Texas with "ALIENS ARE COMING OVER THE BORDER AND YOU NEED TO SHOOT THEM", which I expect to see when Barnett heads up the relaunch of Imperator.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: June 04, 2009, 10:26:53 AM

He did not prepare a speech at all and just went with it. Just a random spray of words that he felt like shooting off.

He was also louder than usual in that "WHAT YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH LET ME SAY IT A LITTLE LOUDER FOR YOU"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #307 on: June 04, 2009, 11:26:23 AM

That's his philosophy towards life -- i.e. "let's just wing it". Unfortunately for EA that philosophy is reflected in the game.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #308 on: June 04, 2009, 12:30:43 PM

he was hyping ABP for EA this week.

http://www.massively.com/2009/06/04/e3-2009-apb-gets-the-paul-barnett-hype-treatment/#continued

I predict the utter universal meltdown of all things if he moves to SWTOR
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #309 on: June 04, 2009, 01:10:50 PM

The thought of Barnett being buried in an avalanche of smelly Star Wars nerdragers thirsting for his booze-saturated blood feels me with glee.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: June 04, 2009, 02:04:41 PM

or those koreans in the crowd snickering amongst themselves of how retarded this dude with sunglasses is in their native language.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS : EVERYTHING BROKEN IN AMERICA. WE FIX!

swamp poop : huk huk babo

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #311 on: June 05, 2009, 12:01:04 PM

he was hyping ABP for EA this week.

http://www.massively.com/2009/06/04/e3-2009-apb-gets-the-paul-barnett-hype-treatment/#continued

I predict the utter universal meltdown of all things if he moves to SWTOR

its very hard to stop cancer from spreading and some types even live through chemo. EA will rue the day that they dredged him up with WAR.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #312 on: June 05, 2009, 06:32:56 PM

APB is that Grand Theft Saints Row MMO that we saw a pic of here a long time ago, isn't it?

I recall the guy in the pic was wearing three hats, and one of his legs must have been much warmed than the other, as he had rolled only one leg of his pants up.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
columba
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: July 19, 2009, 10:05:26 PM

That event sounds ripe for a pie throwing terrorist attack to me.

No, shoes are the weapon of choice today. Pies are too unwieldy and anyways, it's a waste of good pie. If baked goods must be used, I'd go with a fairly heavy armor piercing fruitcake. Something that would leave a dent.

OH man.  This was good.  thanks.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #314 on: July 20, 2009, 12:11:08 AM

What the fuck do you think you're doing?  CHECK THE DATE.  Zombies don't need to be revived for "yuk yuk".

Edit: And yes, this is me being mean to the new fish.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 12:20:51 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Paul Barnett speaks on being "Dazed and Confused"  
Jump to: