Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:00:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 430691 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 09:16:36 AM

Hmm so it looks the latest phase of development was spent putting back things they previously removed in attempt to distance themselves from traditional MMO gameplay...
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 10:40:36 AM

The only different thing I've seen in that video that I havn't seen before are the hotbars.  I don't know what else was there or has been removed/added.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 11:01:27 AM

Yup, mainly that. I commented earlier that seemed like the one real change to effective gameplay, the reduced feedback and simplified UI. Now it looks they're putting it piece by piece back in. THe toolbars, radar/map etc.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 11:19:24 AM

Well, a lot of their videos are "cropped" or at least zoomed in where the edges of the screen or blocked out.  They could of always been there, just out of the picture.  Or just turned off.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 11:35:43 AM

That's true; although then i'm not sure what's so significant about the 'summer 2009' stage compared to the earlier one, that it warranted a new trailer that specifically points out where the new build starts... because other than the UI bits it just doesn't seem different at all.

But then i usually suck at the "spot all differences" game, so it's perfectly possible there's just something to it that i missed.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 11:54:29 AM

Maybe it was E3 they were talking about.  Shrug.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 07:52:05 AM

Mini-necro:

I got a newsletter about the game and it led me to checking out the game a bit more.  There's actually a lot out there now.

There are a bunch of videos on youtube with actual gameplay in it.

Here's a good one for group-play.

There are a ton of others with different classes, some of them with sound.

Graphics/animation look real good.  Looks like a combo of Age of Conan type combat without the combo buttons.  Looks pretty.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 08:06:47 AM

That little hamster dude needs to stop stealing agro from the tank. Disappointed, but not surprised, by the cloned casters. Otherwise it looked like a decent enough implementation of the typical diku gameplay.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 09:51:32 AM

It was odd that so many spells seemed to be missing or hitting the ground or whatever was happening there.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 17, 2009, 11:04:52 AM

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 17, 2009, 11:12:04 AM

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 17, 2009, 11:39:00 AM

It looked boring, but I think I might like the concept.  I like the aiming portion, but it looked slow.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #47 on: December 17, 2009, 06:02:02 PM

That looks about as good as classic diku hotkey combat will ever be.  I've always wanted to see someone design combat where there was no fire and forget / select target bullshit.

Again though, Koreans, their idea of fun is so wrapped in fucked up grinding that its hard to pretend I'd buy this even if I support the direction they are taking things.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 05:02:35 AM

Localization team for the west.  Not much in that interview but they seem to be trying to pull a name from every big mmo in the west.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/24/tera-forming-en-masse-entertainment/
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 10:37:53 AM

Localization team for the west.  Not much in that interview but they seem to be trying to pull a name from every big mmo in the west.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/24/tera-forming-en-masse-entertainment/

RPS: And which attributes do you think will most have to be tweaked for the western audience?

Brian Knox: Much of our tweaking and refinement will focus on the story, on providing the highest quality writing and a culturally relevant narrative within the broader game. MMOs offer a new and interactive way to tell stories, and so far, most MMOs haven’t scratched the surface of the kinds of effects that players’ actions can have on the game itself. TERA won’t simply offer monsters to hack to death and complex dungeons to navigate–players’ actions will affect the world in much more significant ways.

Translates:  "Uh... we won't be able to take out the grind so this will suck so we'll talk about some stupid story instead..."

Also: Ground Breaking Combat! Woooo.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 11:28:42 AM

MMO developers couldn't break ground with a truck full of dynamite.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #51 on: February 24, 2010, 10:23:24 PM

Nonsense. Some MMOs have crashed so hard they just had to have left a crater.

schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: February 25, 2010, 01:11:24 AM

Nonsense. Some MMOs have crashed so hard they just had to have left a crater.
There is no crater in Austin where you would expect there to be one. It doesn't even smell like deflated ego.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #53 on: February 25, 2010, 08:18:53 AM

It'll be several years before anything meaningful changes.  We're still riding in the era of rockstars and ego.  Too many one-hit wonders still have too much clout and they're holding back anything remotely like meaningful change.  Add in the factor of the "bigger is better" thought processes, where bigger is often tied to the wallet, change is still considered risky.  I'm not an expert, which is probably painfully obvious, but I expect once we stop trying to use brute force tactics with technology and start keeping an eye towards elegance and properly utilizing our technology, and subsequently the MMO creation process starts becoming a more accessible thing, change will come as the risks will lessen and new faces will disprove the dogma issuing forth from the old guard.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: February 25, 2010, 10:28:49 PM

One-hit wonders implies there have been meaningful hits other than EQ, Lineage and WoW in the actual MMOG arena. We're way past splitting hair on what is and isn't a hit. Turning a profit these days doesn't seem exceptionally hard, especially when you can just fire everyone and leave a skeleton crew running the ship. But hits? Comeon.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #55 on: February 26, 2010, 06:34:45 AM

You're right.  Perhaps I chose my words poorly, but I didn't mean to imply a grandness but more something like that old song, "Wonderwall"

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #56 on: February 26, 2010, 10:37:42 PM

I am getting spam comments advertising Tera on my blog. :P
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 27, 2010, 07:08:14 AM

Yeah they're selling gold already.
schild
Administrator

Reply #58 on: February 28, 2010, 03:35:25 AM

MMOGs should get subsidized by China for providing them with much needed jobs. SE Asian Countries too.

"MMOG Releasing. We're bringing jobs to YOUR country. Jobs that WON'T actually kill your citizens - maybe."
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 12, 2010, 10:40:25 AM

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=21846

GDC presentation via ZAM.  Some interesting things.  You can search youtube for some beta footage from the far east.

Interesting to say the least I think.  The guy is playing the game with what looks to be a 360 controller, but can play with a mouse/keyboard as well.  Unfortunately there was no  information on character building, levels, grinds and other content in the game.  It looks like or sounds like, that it'll be PVE focused.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 13, 2010, 10:17:49 PM

Why rely on some random website when you can rely on me?  awesome, for real

I saw some of this at GDC. It's a WOW clone with action-oriented combat. The UI is very similar to WOW and some of the fonts and the quest giver screen may actually be identical. As in literally identical.

Graphically it's a lot better than WOW. A lot lot better. Like, way better. Much better animation, much better models, much better effects, cooler looking enemies.

Combat is action in that you swing your sword and what you hit is what you actually hit. You also have a dodge/roll move (at least as one character). I saw someone playing a fighter guy and another person playing some sort of fireball shooting yoyo-spinny-thing wielding...thing...

I can't speak to the speed of levelling or the amount and quality of content but it makes a very good first impression.

A guy there was calling it "the first 4th generation MMO" which seems a little silly to me, I'm not sure if you can accurately count generations at this point, especially considering that there was apparently only a single game in the second generation (AC2) and it was way worse than the first generation...but it a pretty big departure from purely turn and stat based gameplay.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 14, 2010, 07:20:27 AM

but it a pretty big departure from purely turn and stat based gameplay.
Is it really? From how you describe it you need to have the (melee) character close enough to the target so when you click button to swing sword it has chance to connect. I take it the swing takes a second-two of animation to execute and after that you can swing again. But that's in practice exactly like the current games, maybe minus the need to highlight a target so the server has easier time calculating whether you're close enough to it for your sword swing to have chance to connect...
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 14, 2010, 08:31:43 AM

Margalis, with all that you said, how is that a "wow clone"?

It doesn't match up. Sounds drastically different than most things that defined world of warcraft.

1. Higher system requirements
2. Action based real time combat
3. Non-cartoon graphical style (while I am sure still stylized)

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 14, 2010, 02:08:49 PM

Is it really? From how you describe it you need to have the (melee) character close enough to the target so when you click button to swing sword it has chance to connect. I take it the swing takes a second-two of animation to execute and after that you can swing again. But that's in practice exactly like the current games...

That's absolutely nothing like the current games. The combat is like Devil May Cry or any other 3rd person action game. if you swing in range or 2 people you hit two people. If you aim the wrong direction you hit nothing. Different attacks have different speeds. You can dodge by physically being in the right place, there are strings of combos...it's only similar to WOW combat-wise if you think that Bayonetta is also similar to WOW combat-wise. I don't think the combat is as deep as a game like Bayontta but it's in that mold.

Quote from: MrBloodworth
Margalis, with all that you said, how is that a "wow clone"?

Mostly in terms of presentation. Everything from the promotional art to the fonts to the quest log are taken from WOW. But I suppose you're right in that the combat is a big enough departure that clearly they aren't aiming to make a WOW-alike. Rather they want to immediately appeal to the WOW crowd by giving them something familiar looking. The moment-to-moment gameplay is fairly different from WOW but the overall vibe is still very WOW-like.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 14, 2010, 02:49:21 PM

That's absolutely nothing like the current games. The combat is like Devil May Cry or any other 3rd person action game. if you swing in range or 2 people you hit two people. If you aim the wrong direction you hit nothing. Different attacks have different speeds. You can dodge by physically being in the right place, there are strings of combos...it's only similar to WOW combat-wise if you think that Bayonetta is also similar to WOW combat-wise.
Well, it honestly still does sound like current games. I'm going by LotRO experience here rather than WoW but nearly everything you talk of is there -- i have to be within range and facing my target to hit it, otherwise i won't. Maybe WoW has auto-face towards the selected target? I don't know and i could buy that as making things different but well, this isn't universal in present MMOs. I also have attacks which can hit multiple people if they're in range. I have attacks with different speeds. I can dodge attacks of others by moving out of range or out of front of my target -- they won't be able to hit me until they manage to get in the right position again. I have attacks which form combos.... well, that's end of the list.

The difference between Bayonetta and such and the current MMOs is (aside from locking on selected target and even that can be found in some form in some non-MMOs) in the MMOs you have numbers under the hood which affect your odds to hit your targets and evade hits yourself on top of position- and orientation-based factors. So sometimes you can avoid getting hit even if your enemy is in the right spot to smack you, or they can evade your own hits in the same manner. But i doubt very much they did away with this particular aspect altogether in TERA because they don't make such claim anywhere and that'd be one easy way to show how their game is really different from the current MMOs.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 14, 2010, 03:17:05 PM

In WoW (and most MMOs I've played) 90% of abilities are simply unusable if your target is out of range (or behind you or whatever). You can't just push Heroic Strike and have your character swing.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 14, 2010, 04:43:06 PM

That's true (the AoE skills in LotRO can be used whenever but that's small subset for most classes)  but i'd consider it a good thing in lag-prone environment of a MMO. The benefit of being able to swing your sword at empty air seems debatable.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 14, 2010, 08:25:29 PM

It's more akin to AoC combat than WoW/EQ2/LoTR combat in that regard.  It's different.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #68 on: March 15, 2010, 07:47:41 AM

Lantyssa, you probably forgot all those cool dudes who were stating AoC combat was NOT different from previous MMORPGs. They are back.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 15, 2010, 09:06:01 AM

Well, it honestly still does sound like current games. I'm going by LotRO experience here rather than WoW but nearly everything you talk of is there -- i have to be within range and facing my target to hit it, otherwise i won't. Maybe WoW has auto-face towards the selected target? I don't know and i could buy that as making things different but well, this isn't universal in present MMOs. I also have attacks which can hit multiple people if they're in range. I have attacks with different speeds. I can dodge attacks of others by moving out of range or out of front of my target -- they won't be able to hit me until they manage to get in the right position again. I have attacks which form combos.... well, that's end of the list.

In LOTRO/WOW you can hit a target with autoattack or any ability if you're facing them within a certain cone of effect.  In TERA it seems like you have to actually aim and hit that target with your weapon.  For spellcasters if you are facing your target in WOW your spell will always hit the guy.  In TERA it seems like you could miss by a foot if you're not aiming properly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: