Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:07:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 430663 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

on: February 24, 2009, 09:38:57 AM

TERA Online

Anyone know anything about it?  Looks like an action based console type of MMOG.  Screenshots have Hangame on them which is a gaming portal in Korea.  I don't know much about them other than what a wiki page says.  The forum post stated the game has been in development since 2007. 

Though I don't have anything to write about, it looks fun.  Who knows if this will ever see the light of day and/or will actually work.

Videos appear to show gameplay with UI etc.

Video One

Video Two

Some demo and presentation that's not in english

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:40:36 AM by Draegan »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:46:57 AM

Dual wielding demon chick got my attention.  It's still a KMMO though, so I'm suspect.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:59:46 AM

I have had my eye on it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:49:07 AM

Looks like Lineage 2 only more terrible.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 01:11:18 PM

Apparently these guys (Bluehole) were working for NCSoft on L3 but left to make their own game.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:24:10 PM

The fight against the big rock monster in the second video really highlighted the clone problem you get in some mmos. All those elf girls wearing the same red dress shooting fireballs just looked odd. 
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:26:25 PM

It looks like Final Fantasy meets Pole Dancer Online.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:25 PM

You'll notice in the first video they zoom in to crop out the XP bar  awesome, for real

Site is wonky so I can't get to the infoz. Does look like a console/action-y MMO, which itself could be a saving grace. Because as a PC MMO it has only one or two markets in which it'll survive for a few months until the next game that looks exactly the same come alone. But heck, from what I understand, MMOs are like books over there, not about the one title, but how fast they come out in succession.
Rake
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 12:36:32 AM

Last time I was in Korea they didn't do consoles.

Been a few years now, but I still think PC is the medium of choice there.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 06:37:33 PM

They're starting to like the Wii. And you can find PS/XBOX rooms from time to time.

But yeah, it's all about the PC. Sometimes I seriously think that there is a PC Bang on every street in Seoul.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 11:51:41 AM

http://www.tera-online.com

Just stumbled on this today, surprised there's no thread here yet. Being developed by Korean Bluehole studio, the game is slated for release in Korea in first quarter 2010 and third quarter in North America. Propaganda from the site states:

TERA will set new standards in the industry with its next-generation graphics, ground-breaking gameplay, and its unique community system. TERA is visually stunning and the quality is of those never seen in previous MMO games. Check out our images and screenshots! You will experience a new gameplay style with TERA. Unlike traditional MMOs, there is no "point and click" system, giving you more control of the character and providing more riveting action play. No longer do you click your mouse and doze off into the sunset waiting for your opponent to die. You will have full control over the attacks and the fate of your enemy. TERA is set in a world where you, the players, will impact the community. The players will dictate the flow of the economy. You will trade, buy/sell more frequently with fellow players and create a community unique to your world.

Trailer which is all in-game footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLASIgBkcKg
Cinematic trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC5td7CQNhc
Character creation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72W-Ota0PoM

http://tera-source.com has a ton of videos of different animations if you click on classes on the right.

Q: What is TERA?

A: TERA stands for The Exiled Realm of Arborea and is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). TERA is developed to bring you thrills never experienced before in traditional MMOs with its action-filled gameplay and riveting visuals.

You become part of the realm of Arborea, created by the Ancient Gods. You defend your race in a fantasy world where your creators, descendents of the Ancient Gods, have warred upon each other centuries ago.

Q: How does TERA differ from other MMORPGs?

A: TERA will set new standards in the industry with its next-generation graphics, ground-breaking gameplay, and its unique community system. TERA is visually stunning and the quality is of those never seen in previous MMO games. Check out our images and screenshots! You will experience a new gameplay style with TERA.

Unlike traditional MMOs, there is no "point and click" system, giving you more control of the character and providing more riveting action play. No longer do you click your mouse and doze off into the sunset waiting for your opponent to die. You will have full control over the attacks and the fate of your enemy. TERA is set in a world where you, the players, will impact the community. The players will dictate the flow of the economy. You will trade, buy/sell more frequently with fellow players and create a community unique to your world.

Q: How many characters and races in TERA and what are the main characters and classes?

A: TERA has 6 characters, 8 classes and the development team is working towards having all possible combinations available. Numerous customization options are available to create a truly unique character and class. You can specify a character from six choices: Aman, Castanics, Baraka, High Elves, Popori and Humans. You will also be able to choose a character class from 8 choices: Lancer, Warrior, Berserker, Sorcerer, Priest, Elementalist, Slayer and Archer.

Q: When will TERA be released in North America? Will TERA be launched globally?

A: The release date is scheduled for sometime in the year 2010. Currently TERA is planned to be available in multiple languages and localized to specific regions. Please continue to visit our site for further updates.

Q: When will the beta test begin?

A: Beta testing will be available for those expressing interest in TERA and receive the opportunity to provide feedback to improve the game before its official release. Beta schedules will be announced in the future. Be sure to sign up for our monthly newsletter for the latest updates and news!

Q: What will be the payment model for TERA?

A: Just like other triple A titles, TERA, a next generation MMO, will be a subscription based model and will feature box products for sale in North America. Further details will be disclosed at a later time.

Q: What are the system requirements, internet connection needed for TERA?

A: We are still in the process of optimizing and fine-tuning the game. Our development team is working diligently to reach the highest graphic and action quality compatible to the majority of existing systems. Specific requirements will be updated shortly.

Q: Is the official trailer a cinematic creation?

A: The official trailer available on our website is not a cinematic trailer. In fact, it is an actual gameplay footage. It consists of different camera angles capturing our developers playing the game and it has been edited into a trailer format. We wanted to visually capture the amazing quality of TERA as accurately as possible.

Q: Who is Bluehole Studio?

A: Bluehole Studio is an industry leader in game development, comprised of the most renowned game developers that brought you Lineage 2. Bluehole Studio was established in 2007 and has been developing TERA since then. Bluehole Interactive is our US-based office, spear-heading the business in North America. Please visit our site www.bluehole.net/eng for more information.

Bluehole Studio is a flagship MMORPG developer headquartered in Seoul, Korea. In North America, Bluehole Studio conducts its marketing and sales activitis through its wholly owned subsidiary Bluehole Interactive.

Bluehole Studio was founded in March 2007 by serial entrepreneur Byung-Gyu Chang and former core members of NCsoft.
Bluehole’s development team includes the former development team members of Lineage II including Producer, Lead Game Designer, Lead Programmer, and Art Director.
Currently Bluehole Studio has about 200 employees, mainly in the development side.

The title under development, named “TERA”, is a blockbuster scale fantasy genre MMORPG with more than 30 million dollar development budget and 3 years of development period.
TERA is clearly differentiated from World of Warcraft or Lineage II by…

* Dynamic battle system
* Next generation graphics
* Enhanced community experience

Anticipated commercial launch in Korea is in early 2010, and in North America in Fall 2010.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:54:22 AM by Trouble »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 11:57:36 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 12:08:13 PM

Goddamn it. I wish the search functionality on these forums didn't suck balls.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 12:14:12 PM

Goddamn it. I wish the search functionality on these forums didn't suck balls.

Its how I found it.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 12:14:36 PM

I thought the rock monster battle looked familiar.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 12:17:32 PM

I am very likely retarded. I plead the fifth. Anyway, it's still news worthy because they just launched the English version of their site.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 12:18:30 PM

I am very likely retarded. I plead the fifth. Anyway, it's still news worthy because they just launched the English version of their site.

Hay, I'm the poster child of this board for re-posting shit. I need to defend my title. So, stop it.  Mob

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 12:20:11 PM

A: Bluehole Studio is an industry leader in game development, comprised of the most renowned game developers that brought you Lineage 2.
Ohhhhh, I see.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 12:23:09 PM

I don't see much of interest, myself, but I like this from the FAQ
Quote from: TERA
No longer do you click your mouse and doze off into the sunset waiting for your opponent to die.

I appreciate the poetic upgrade from make a sandwich.

(edited down to make sense in now-merged thread)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:31:12 PM by Severian »
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 12:29:30 PM

Their FAQ looks like they copied it from every MMO since UO.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 12:33:34 PM

Mixed metaphors rule.

"Me am play gods"
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 12:39:39 PM

A: Bluehole Studio is an industry leader in game development, comprised of the most renowned game developers that brought you Lineage 2.
Ohhhhh, I see.

Can you do that? Form a studio and be an industry leader even though you haven't released anything? That makes me an industry leader too!

On the plus side, I do love me some MMO that plays more like an action game than a Press The UI Button To Move Your Character game.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 01:15:11 PM

On the plus side, I do love me some MMO that plays more like an action game than a Press The UI Button To Move Your Character game.
I'm watching some gameplay videos (also "boss fight" here) at the moment and the practical difference seems little tbh, especially for the melee characters. WASD movement in a MMO isn't a new thing outside of Korea. The "UI Buttons" are still there except accessible exlusively through the keyboard shortcuts by the looks of it. There's aiming reticle for the ranged abilities but hey, Darkfall has that too... why so serious?

One considerable change there is increased obscurity -- they seem to hide most of the typical MMO feedback/UI (no visible toolbars, no mob health bars, no casting bars).

Oh and Korean version of the game page appears to have the client available for download. No idea if it's some kind of beta or if it already went live there.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 01:39:14 PM

Eck. With a name like "Bluehole" and a cleavage-baring catwoman wearing what looks like cum for lipstick... Scary.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 02:08:26 PM

This didn't deserve it's own thread the first time around either.

I'd create a new thread called "Games that don't deserve threads yet", as a mirror of Useless Conversations. But I'm stuck on my iPhone and it'd be a big pain to do it right ( with game names and links).
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 08:54:40 AM

This is the next Aion-killer imo.

why so serious?
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 09:14:12 AM

This is the next Aion-killer imo.

why so serious?

Or C9? =p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-gkFL7G8ow&feature=channel_page

Been following both of these through promotional videos that get on youtube basically.  One thing you have to give credit to the Koreans for is their playerbase pretty much demands visuals and they usually deliver.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 04, 2009, 02:30:24 PM

Is that even an MMO?  There was never more than one player on the screen at any time...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 04, 2009, 03:24:57 PM

"bluehole"?

It looks like Final Fantasy meets Pole Dancer Online.

Wait, what?  Let's not be too hasty to write this off.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 10:22:30 AM

I saw what appeared to be a stripper elf on the front page followed by a Galka.

As much as I LOL, I do want to play a new MMO that excites me with some new game mechanics. I didn't do Aion because I don't want Diku and Champions Online feels more of the same of CoX or worse.

Looking most forward to APB or MAG or something like that. Not very "MMO" but massive enough.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 11:28:08 AM

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 01:25:09 PM

In the middle of that video it states 'Summer 09'. I'm confused.

Also, I'm tired of unregulated shoulderpads in these fantasy MMOs.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 01:44:06 PM

The dates it's putting up in that video are dates for the game engine video sections to show the progress I guess.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 05:11:18 PM

That's how I took it.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 08:34:13 AM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? How else could you take it, about 5 dates were listed in that video- perhaps he thought he was travelling in time?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: