Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:30:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 430693 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: July 05, 2010, 08:38:20 PM

The only way this will work if it takes the same amount of time to max level as guild wars. really action gamy type combat system will quickly getting tired some after 6 hour gaming sessions 3 nights a week only nets you half the exp you need to get to the next level. till than, call me when this is free.

I dunno, I used to put obscene hours into Diablo 2, and there are plenty of shooters I've played for marathon sessions.  I mean, yea, you do get tired, but I can't really see this as a major issue as to whether or not the game "makes it."  Then again, you might only be talking about yourself and how you know it will turn out for you. I just assumed you were trying to make a bigger point the way you started "the only way this will work..."
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: July 05, 2010, 09:13:24 PM

The only way this will work if it takes the same amount of time to max level as guild wars. really action gamy type combat system will quickly getting tired some after 6 hour gaming sessions 3 nights a week only nets you half the exp you need to get to the next level. till than, call me when this is free.

I dunno, I used to put obscene hours into Diablo 2, and there are plenty of shooters I've played for marathon sessions.  I mean, yea, you do get tired, but I can't really see this as a major issue as to whether or not the game "makes it."  Then again, you might only be talking about yourself and how you know it will turn out for you. I just assumed you were trying to make a bigger point the way you started "the only way this will work..."

I used to spend 10 hours per tf2 session, doing 5 hour sessions a week at least. Now I do 5 hour gaming sessions max when i get around to playing tf2, mostly because i suck now and it will take 10 hour gaming sessions to get me back to peak form AND you never really have time for 10 hour gaming sessions unless you desire to be homeless. Even 5 hour gaming sessions are pushing the utter limit of indulgence. While I know plenty of people who still practically do that (god bless their souls), imagine if I was forced to play 10 hours on an achievement server before I could play on even orange x3. Ok I would quit. And so would and probably have some people, that's why valve changed the achievements-for-items to random (the system sucks for unlocking stuff but technically its faster...). Luckily it only took me 2 hours max to get weapons for a given class (granted I was good), but the times when i got on the achievement server were not the crowning moment of my time in tf2. I play games for the parts I want to play, make me do anything else...uninstall.

Taking Chronicles of spellborn as an example, the game had me aiming (rotating skill bar to boot), strafing, ducking in and out of attack radius, and doing this against multiple enemies throwing a mixture of melee, spells, and projectiles. Thrilling for an hour. Boring after 60 hours. 3-5 hour gaming sessions just circle strafing for what? Nothing, the game only offered you an abstraction, get the fun latter har har. Pvp? Have a bunny hop match for 3 minutes than get gibbed by random asshat. Arena? Que for 10-20 minutes, enter for yet another exiting 3 minute bunny hop match. After at least a 100 hours of grinding what do you discover? Mages suck, Warriors are the only thing worth playing, rouges suck slightly less, oh yeah I'm still not max level.. So worth the time spent. If there is an end game worth talking about in Tera it should do itself a favor an allow people to get there, your only buying yourself ill will by punching my dick repeatedly.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:15:51 PM by DLRiley »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #107 on: July 07, 2010, 09:25:36 AM

The character models are very nice.

I don't get how some people don't see the difference between this game and other MMOs. The combat really is like an action game, whether or not that's your cup of tea it's certainly different from just about every other game out there. Having to actually move around and aim and interact with real hit boxes is not just a cosmetic difference.

Its good that they have finally added some variety, the early videos had every class looking one exact way. I still have a feeling that lack of customization of gear is going to be a turn off in this game. Typically with characters this detailed in the past every race/class/level player has ended up looking the same. That, pvp or lack thereof and how grindy it is are what I'm trying to ascertain before I starting getting hyped about this one.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #108 on: July 07, 2010, 04:35:43 PM

I still don't get why the visuals for SWTOR look so bad.

Not the same studio that did their other games and it looks like they opted for HeroEngine rather than modding Eclipse or the Unreal Engine 3.5. Not sure how much HeroEngine has been updated, but it debuted some time ago.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 08, 2010, 06:10:37 AM

HeroEngine is an extremely powerful full bodied tool set. Also, HeroCloud is rather interesting.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:22:19 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #110 on: July 08, 2010, 08:41:03 AM

HeroEngine is an extremely powerful full bodied tool set. Also, HeroCloud is rather interesting.

I don't doubt it's power, but I'd imagine the graphical side to the engine, in comparison to some of the newer MMOs coming out in the next year or so, looks dated.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 08, 2010, 09:08:53 AM

I don't doubt it's power, but I'd imagine the graphical side to the engine, in comparison to some of the newer MMOs coming out in the next year or so, looks dated.

It has rather modern techniques employed. "Graphics" are usually more dependent on the artists though. But hero has all the bells and whistles of modern games, but the tool chain is simply incredible, meaning content can be created quickly.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #112 on: July 08, 2010, 08:15:53 PM

Are you implying they have terrible artists? Cause, I'd agree.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 08, 2010, 08:37:17 PM

I don't think you can pin it on the engine. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Hero supports custom shaders and materials and such. Maybe the out-of-the-box materials aren't the best but asking a team to implement their own better-looking ones is pretty modest.

The way the engine is structured might make some things hard, like having a ton of lights if it doesn't use any sort of deferred approach, but you can't blame characters looking and moving poorly on the engine.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Gunzwei
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: July 09, 2010, 11:34:19 PM

Pretty. If the grind is minimal looks to be worth picking up. I wouldn't mind playing an Action MMORPG since I really enjoy the original PSO.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: July 11, 2010, 11:33:56 AM

Looks really nice and fun.  I definitely need a better gaming rig for that!  My gaming rig right now is crying from playing APB in 800x600 low settings.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 11, 2010, 11:44:59 AM

I don't think you can pin it on the engine.

Oh, yeah. My comments were purely on the features of the hero engine, the engines rendering pipeline and supported features is not a limiting factor for modern visuals and techniques. Its just a tool, end results are about how you use the tools.

I personally was not speaking about the artists, you never know (or well we do know) there could be limitations and caps on things because of the game layer itself.

This Game is quite pretty IMO. There is some fidelity you don't find in most MMO's. The engine enabled them to make it.

Though, I think this will be the first MMO to launch using it IIRCC.

EDIT: Reading back, the STO VS. this title. Doesn't STO use a bunch of dynamically created textures made in the buffer then applied? That's a but of a sacrifice to do, this title seems to be all canned textures.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:48:52 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: August 24, 2010, 07:22:10 PM

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:25:46 PM by Outlawedprod »
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: August 24, 2010, 08:37:26 PM

The combat reminded me a lot of Divine Souls, which is actually a good thing.  If they can blend that kind of combat with more persistent world MMO features that I like, then they might have something going here.  I seem to remember being excited about this game, but then learning something that made me less excited, but now I can't remember what that thing is, I'm going to re-read this thread in the morning and see if I can piece that together  awesome, for real
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: August 24, 2010, 11:33:58 PM

I appreciated how the back of the girl's skirt was cut high so that when she did the lean forward/anime ninja run you got a nice view of her ass.  That shows a commitment to fan service you just don't see in western titles. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: August 25, 2010, 06:08:48 AM

You must not have watched until she cast a spell.  That ass wiggle would do a stripper proud.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: August 25, 2010, 06:17:51 AM

Bah....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:39:38 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: August 25, 2010, 06:36:10 AM

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: August 25, 2010, 06:46:26 AM

Wrong thread.

Is that like a reverse Bloodworth?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: November 25, 2010, 08:03:11 PM

Here's a ton of info from a convention overseas. 

http://www.terafans.com/topic/5715-tera-fans-gstar-2010-coverage/
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: December 06, 2010, 07:47:48 AM

I appreciated how the back of the girl's skirt was cut high so that when she did the lean forward/anime ninja run you got a nice view of her ass.  That shows a commitment to fan service you just don't see in western titles. 
You must not have watched until she cast a spell.  That ass wiggle would do a stripper proud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RcmoqfBrdg
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: December 06, 2010, 08:33:25 AM

ACK!

What the hell is with the psuedo-furry stripper thing.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #127 on: December 06, 2010, 08:48:31 AM

I was too distracted by the guy moonwalking in the background to pay attention tbh. That's either some awful lag or awful something else.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: January 15, 2011, 09:56:46 AM

New Trailer.  Can't fault the visuals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2N-naGRlhs

Apparently Korea is having some open beta test now. Hopefully some useful info will come out.  Although I guess it's meaningless until someone can confirm whether this is the next Aion in the USA or will they actually make attempts to tailor the game besides level 1-19.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: January 15, 2011, 10:26:13 AM

New Trailer.  Can't fault the visuals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2N-naGRlhs

Apparently Korea is having some open beta test now. Hopefully some useful info will come out.  Although I guess it's meaningless until someone can confirm whether this is the next Aion in the USA or will they actually make attempts to tailor the game besides level 1-19.

I'd play the game that the trailer makes me imagine.. Whether or not that means I'd play TERA is anyone's guess.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #130 on: January 15, 2011, 11:50:52 AM

That block sequence made me somewhat excited for the game. The mini-panda being a selectable race sold me.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: January 15, 2011, 02:02:31 PM

is this the one with the "action" like combat?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: January 15, 2011, 03:01:13 PM

That trailer said 2011 1 11 at the end, i don't know how koreans do dates but doesn't that mean it's out already?

I am the .00000001428%
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #133 on: January 15, 2011, 05:30:35 PM

Post removed by user.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:08:48 PM by Hawkbit »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: January 15, 2011, 05:41:18 PM

Can't fault those visuals at all. 

The two things that will keep me from playing this are:

1.  Unrealistic fantasy armors.  Seriously, how are those boobs even staying in there?
2.  Cat-rabbit children panties and awkward dance shows. 

Fix those two things and they'd get a box sale and at least a few months from me.

For every 'you' they would gain they would lose thousands of others.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: January 15, 2011, 05:58:22 PM

I like the idea of slashing away without selecting targets, but the addition of lag (or just being IP blocked if out of region) is a negative to that approach. That said, this style of combat is probably the only thing it would work with where the attack arcs for weapons are quite oversized.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #136 on: January 15, 2011, 07:36:48 PM

That trailer said 2011 1 11 at the end, i don't know how koreans do dates but doesn't that mean it's out already?

It IS out in Korea. I am playing it right now. The visuals are INSANE. The client is 22gigs. The combat is the fucking real deal.

FAKE EDIT: Collision detection!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:38:28 PM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #137 on: January 15, 2011, 09:14:56 PM

Loads of Character Creation screens under spoilers. Loads.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #138 on: January 15, 2011, 10:02:02 PM

Post removed by user.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:09:01 PM by Hawkbit »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: January 15, 2011, 10:16:16 PM

Yep. One pedo race and one cute animal race seems to be almost standard.

I remember the one Korean MMO where male dwarves were muscle bound, bearded, armored warriors fitting the western image and the female dwarves looked like 14 year old girls. Oh, found it, was Lineage II.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: