Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:10:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 430677 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #70 on: March 15, 2010, 09:31:09 AM

In LOTRO/WOW you can hit a target with autoattack or any ability if you're facing them within a certain cone of effect.  In TERA it seems like you have to actually aim and hit that target with your weapon.
Yes, i just meant the swing of your sword forms certain 'cone of effect' as well so the position + rotation requirements feel similar in both. The casters gameplay i'll give you that it is different from WoW if the spells don't have auto-homing on the targets -- it's then just like Darkfall, instead Ohhhhh, I see.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 15, 2010, 10:22:03 AM

I'd say the Darkfall comparison is spot on.  Combat in Darkfall was actually fine.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 12, 2010, 11:29:42 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #73 on: June 14, 2010, 01:01:08 PM

WoW with better textures, animations and higher poly count?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 14, 2010, 01:12:19 PM

Sounds right. 

I want to get my hands on the "actiony" part of the game.  I'm interested.  I don't trust the westernization because I'm assuming the testers are full of people who think MMOs should be more like Lineage where it takes you 5 years to get to max level and levels really mean something.  So they might think the game is "just fine".
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #75 on: June 15, 2010, 08:20:31 PM

So uh, yo. I played this at E3. I liked it so much I went back and tried other classes.

Only form of targeting I saw was for Rez-style lock-and-release abilities (heals and arrow storms). Everything else is hey, put the dude in your crosshair and click, collect shiny. Click to attack, some classes gain mana from attacking with the left-click ability, and others are more caster-y types that just get mana back over time.

Various classes have forms of dodge rolls or blocks to get away.

It feels like a more forgiving Monster Hunter in terms of attacks. Animations aren't as long, and it seems doesn't seem to have weird lag at the beginning and end of the animations. You are still committed once you start, though.

Some attacks are charge attacks that get better as you charge them. The sorceress and berzerker both have these - the berzerker charges up this big line attack, and the sorceress gets this big spinny ball of energy that also wades in a line.

I picked one of the designer's brains about what the 'endgame' of this game is, and I got some very confusing and poorly conveyed thing about hey, some guilds want to get their guild leader to be the top dude? And maybe there's some kind of territory control? It seemed very unclear, outside of 'oh also dude you can do dungeons and battlegrounds and stuff'.

It feels pretty damn polished, even in as early of a state as they were showing it.

Oh, also, hey. Hey, man. I made a kitty cat man.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #76 on: June 15, 2010, 08:31:44 PM

I imagine that cats name is said with a french accent.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: June 15, 2010, 10:06:50 PM

Nah, it'll be an acronym well-known in the furry community that starts with Naked...
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: June 15, 2010, 11:21:07 PM

I giggle every time I see that damn cat.

They had a series of full animal faces. The creepy thing is they have like, a panda head and a puppy head and such, but there are no humanoid features on these faces - they are straight up animal faces. So bizarre.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 16, 2010, 02:09:09 AM

I'm intrigued by the combat. The mechanics seem different enough to warrant at least a try. It's the rest of the game that I'm apprehensive about, given that the Korean school of fun is far too alien and advanced for me to wrap my head around.  Head scratch

I picked one of the designer's brains about what the 'endgame' of this game is, and I got some very confusing and poorly conveyed thing about hey, some guilds want to get their guild leader to be the top dude? And maybe there's some kind of territory control? It seemed very unclear, outside of 'oh also dude you can do dungeons and battlegrounds and stuff'.

In its prime Lineage II had a pretty decent clan PvP endgame with politics, sieges and backstabby goodness. Too bad it was all buried beneath such an asston of PvE grinding that not many people got to experience it. Bluehole has the means to deliver a compelling PvP endgame, if the devs can rise above the industry-wide norm of not learning from past experience. It's a big "if", but still.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: June 16, 2010, 12:14:45 PM

Well, I specifically asked one of the designers I was talking to about the level progression. I mentioned the two common styles: the "getting to the level cap is the journey" camp, and the "getting to level cap is the start of endgame adventures" - I'm firmly in the WoW-style second camp, and I told him that the grindtastic korean games were usually about the journey-esque leveling process. He seemed to indicate that he wanted getting the level cap to be much quicker, but I'm still in wait and see territory.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 16, 2010, 12:35:05 PM

There are a couple interviews out there and some Q&As.  What I got is that Bluehole gave En Masse the green light to change whatever they want as far as the leveling curve, so it's not like Aion where NCWest can't do shit.

Secondly they did mention that the they want you to be able to quest from levels 1-60 and never ever have to grind mobs at all.  They also mentioned they wanted to get you to max level in a timely fashion.

There is also mention of a political system etc.  No offer of how it works.

Cringe worthy interview: http://www.youtube.com/thegamervg#p/u/0/qErZjnhwmvI

Q&A via twitter

Nonentity, did you play with a kb+mouse or a controller?
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: June 16, 2010, 01:46:18 PM

I did a little of both. While I felt more comfortable with the keyboard and mouse, as that's how I generally prefer to play, it seemed perfectly playable with the controller, noting the limited amount of abilities I had as a level 16 character. You point in the direction of the thing you want to hit, press X, repeat.

I'd be interested to see how well it continued to work as you got more abilities.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 16, 2010, 01:49:03 PM

Cool thanks.  I'm happy to hear that the animations and combat doesn't feel like ass. 

Did you get a chance to look around the character sheet?  I'm curious to see how they did stats/gear.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 19, 2010, 08:12:13 AM

E3 gameplay footage from the floor aka "let's find a group to fuk .. uh...k these mouldermen men are kind of fun"
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-t-e-r-a/700828

WTF is up with the shaky camera?
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: June 19, 2010, 08:26:30 AM

E3 gameplay footage from the floor aka "let's find a group to fuk .. uh...k these mouldermen men are kind of fun"
That looks kind of fun, actually... like console action RPG combat. Then I remember that this is a Korean RPG, and that it will require somewhere close to six hours of gameplay exactly like this to advance one tenth of the way to level 3.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 19, 2010, 10:10:13 AM

That looks kind of fun, actually... like console action RPG combat. Then I remember that this is a Korean RPG, and that it will require somewhere close to six hours of gameplay exactly like this to advance one tenth of the way to level 3.

There are a couple interviews out there and some Q&As.  What I got is that Bluehole gave En Masse the green light to change whatever they want as far as the leveling curve, so it's not like Aion where NCWest can't do shit.

Secondly they did mention that the they want you to be able to quest from levels 1-60 and never ever have to grind mobs at all.  They also mentioned they wanted to get you to max level in a timely fashion.

There is also mention of a political system etc.  No offer of how it works.

Cringe worthy interview: http://www.youtube.com/thegamervg#p/u/0/qErZjnhwmvI

Q&A via twitter

Nonentity, did you play with a kb+mouse or a controller?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 19, 2010, 10:38:35 AM

Yeah, that trailer looked good.  Waaay better that Rifts thing or even FF-XIV.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #88 on: June 19, 2010, 12:01:08 PM

I'm interested in getting my hands on this title, thanks for posting your e3 impressions guys.

As many have said this is the format of combat I think is the logical next step without forcing a complete rework of DIKU conventions but the kekeke grind or terrible class balance or no pvp could ruin it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: June 19, 2010, 12:02:26 PM

No pvp?  Heartbreak

I am the .00000001428%
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: June 19, 2010, 04:01:10 PM

No pvp?  Heartbreak

We will have PVP and PVE server sets. We have some epic PVE encounters and a new feature in battlegrounds that is yet to be revealed #TERA

There is PVP.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: June 19, 2010, 05:18:52 PM

A bit reminiscent of PSO and PSU in the combat mechanic. I think I'm going to like this.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: June 19, 2010, 05:28:56 PM

I think I remember hearing that their PVP servers will be fully open world ffa pvp. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #93 on: June 21, 2010, 02:01:49 PM

Now that video was a lot more interesting to me than Rifts. Combat looks fun.

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 04, 2010, 12:19:12 PM

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 04, 2010, 01:52:20 PM

That sorceror casting sure involves a lot of hip gyrating lol.

I am the .00000001428%
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: July 04, 2010, 02:17:35 PM

The character models are very nice.

I don't get how some people don't see the difference between this game and other MMOs. The combat really is like an action game, whether or not that's your cup of tea it's certainly different from just about every other game out there. Having to actually move around and aim and interact with real hit boxes is not just a cosmetic difference.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #97 on: July 04, 2010, 02:24:44 PM

Must not board the hype train for this one.

Looks so good though.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: July 04, 2010, 03:04:00 PM

Looks so good though.

I still don't get why the visuals for SWTOR look so bad.  I mean for all the people buying Bioware RPGs right now one of the top 3 selling points has to be visuals.  SWTOR is clearly several steps down from what they've done in recent games.  Sure they probably want to have lower system specs but they could still make the character model animations a lot better. I like all the big monsters these Tera promos show.

Obviously I have major reservations until it's out.  I've done the Korean grinders back in the Ragnarok Online days and I'm really looking for something more of a hybrid between western/eastern mmos best general assets.  Too bad Aion was just an upfront retrofitting and not enough non-grind content for me 40+.  Then again maybe I wouldn't mind a higher amount of grinding if killing stuff was a lot of fun (enjoyed making ubar characters in games like Diablo, Titanquest, Phantasy Star Online, etc).

I agree with Margalis.  I think people should be interested because it looks like they are actually trying to do something outside of the popular autoattack mob to death gameplay.  Sure we should have reservations but I think a game like this deserves more beta interest than a lot of the other mmos out there.  I still don't get why they didn't go for something more like this gameplay with SWTOR where you would already have action fans onboard.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 04, 2010, 03:48:22 PM

Yeah, the action oriented gameplay looks good, but I'm not sold on playing something like this over just something like Torchlight if I want an ARPG.  Of course the multiplayer aspect is nice, but one of the fun parts of the ARPG genre has traditionally been wading through heaps of monsters.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: July 04, 2010, 04:05:10 PM

Looks so good though.

I still don't get why the visuals for SWTOR look so bad.  I mean for all the people buying Bioware RPGs right now one of the top 3 selling points has to be visuals.  SWTOR is clearly several steps down from what they've done in recent games.  Sure they probably want to have lower system specs but they could still make the character model animations a lot better. I like all the big monsters these Tera promos show.

Obviously I have major reservations until it's out.  I've done the Korean grinders back in the Ragnarok Online days and I'm really looking for something more of a hybrid between western/eastern mmos best general assets.  Too bad Aion was just an upfront retrofitting and not enough non-grind content for me 40+.  Then again maybe I wouldn't mind a higher amount of grinding if killing stuff was a lot of fun (enjoyed making ubar characters in games like Diablo, Titanquest, Phantasy Star Online, etc).

I agree with Margalis.  I think people should be interested because it looks like they are actually trying to do something outside of the popular autoattack mob to death gameplay.  Sure we should have reservations but I think a game like this deserves more beta interest than a lot of the other mmos out there.  I still don't get why they didn't go for something more like this gameplay with SWTOR where you would already have action fans onboard.
Uh, what? People play Bioware games for the graphics now? Also, action fans for SWTOR? Most people hyped for that are fans of KOTOR.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 04, 2010, 04:27:21 PM

Uh, what? People play Bioware games for the graphics now? Also, action fans for SWTOR? Most people hyped for that are fans of KOTOR.

Visuals certainly one of the reasons.  I don't think Mass Effect 2 was selling hot for the intense action Mass Effect 1 had.  I know quite a few people who are not into RPGs who went after it based on the visuals and they did not even bother to touch Mass Effect 1.  To them it was simply a Gears of War with different visual style.

I didn't say who is currently hyped for SWTOR.  I'm saying I'm surprised they didn't go for a more action route because there are plenty of Star Wars action game buyers that you have a base for there. This would have been an easy pitch to them I'd say.  Why should they just basically target WoW players?  The risk/reward there seems worse than trying action based gameplay.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: July 04, 2010, 04:40:29 PM

Visuals certainly one of the reasons.  I don't think Mass Effect 2 was selling hot for the intense action Mass Effect 1 had.  I know quite a few people who are not into RPGs who went after it based on the visuals and they did not even bother to touch Mass Effect 1.  To them it was simply a Gears of War with different visual style.

I didn't say who is currently hyped for SWTOR.  I'm saying I'm surprised they didn't go for a more action route because there are plenty of Star Wars action game buyers that you have a base for there. This would have been an easy pitch to them I'd say.  Why should they just basically target WoW players?  The risk/reward there seems worse than trying action based gameplay.
Tabula Rasa.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #103 on: July 05, 2010, 07:44:12 PM

I don't get how some people don't see the difference between this game and other MMOs. The combat really is like an action game, whether or not that's your cup of tea it's certainly different from just about every other game out there. Having to actually move around and aim and interact with real hit boxes is not just a cosmetic difference.
We've gone through it a page earlier but it still boils down to doing the same stuff to see the same results, for some styles of play at least. As long as i have to move around and keep character aimed at their target and within required range for the hits to actually land in the current games while the said target tries their darndest to throw me off, then it's practical difference between potato and potato. As in i don't see it making me play in manner any different from how i already do or go througn any different motions.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 05, 2010, 08:29:43 PM

The only way this will work if it takes the same amount of time to max level as guild wars. really action gamy type combat system will quickly getting tired some after 6 hour gaming sessions 3 nights a week only nets you half the exp you need to get to the next level. till than, call me when this is free.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: