Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  (Read 300611 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #525 on: December 01, 2010, 08:53:49 PM

Not to Mythic, who exist almost in name only.

EA is too busy giving all their milkshake to BioWare, anyway.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: December 06, 2010, 07:07:19 AM

I'm reinstalling and patching this to give it a try after my disappointment with AoC post-Tortage.  Gonna start with a trail account first before I resub my main account I had. 

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: December 06, 2010, 08:10:16 AM

In the past they've had come back to WAR trials for main accounts for 14 days.  It might be worth seeing if that's still active.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: December 06, 2010, 10:21:26 AM

In the past they've had come back to WAR trials for main accounts for 14 days.  It might be worth seeing if that's still active.

That's not a bad idea.  I'll have to see if I have one floating around in my email.  I know I logged into the accounts screen on my main account and it still showed as deactive.

I'm just desperately looking for something that has PvP, is fun, and doesn't require me to be behind the keys everyday.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: December 09, 2010, 11:31:44 AM

I'm just desperately looking for something that has PvP, is fun, and doesn't require me to be behind the keys everyday.

I'd honestly suggest something other than an MMORPG if this is your goal, but if you are dead set on this genre, then WAR may be your best bet.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: December 09, 2010, 04:50:34 PM

I'd honestly suggest something other than an MMORPG if this is your goal, but if you are dead set on this genre, then WAR may be your best bet.

I am always open to suggestions.  I'm not that dead set to be honest.  What would you suggest?

tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #531 on: December 09, 2010, 05:54:18 PM

Have you tried LoL?

"Me am play gods"
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: December 10, 2010, 06:01:07 AM

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: December 10, 2010, 06:28:48 AM

League of Legends.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: December 10, 2010, 11:22:34 AM

League of Legends.

Oh I downloaded that.  I haven't installed it yet.  I'm gonna install that tonight and give it a try.  What's your opinion of it?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: December 10, 2010, 11:55:06 AM

League of Legends would be worth trying for sure, as would Bloodline Champions I suspect.  Basically, if you want both PvP and not having to play every day, I'd suggest something without character progression, because its so easy to fall behind.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: December 11, 2010, 04:41:51 PM

LoL is fun if you want your game dominated by poopsockers grinding for all the best heroes/skills or moneybags buying all the best heroes/skills.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #537 on: December 11, 2010, 07:39:13 PM

Sure, if you absolutely must climb the ranked ladder.  But for casual playing, not important.

"Me am play gods"
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: December 12, 2010, 06:00:23 PM

Try to find a World of Tanks beta key. Great fun for PvP and can play occasionally and have fun.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: December 12, 2010, 11:58:18 PM

Try to find a World of Tanks beta key. Great fun for PvP and can play occasionally and have fun.

http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/index.php/free_items

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #540 on: December 18, 2010, 01:06:28 PM

The questionable updates on the twitter feed I knew about, the giant bomb thing is new to me so thought would repost here, it's already been posted on vn boards.

http://twitter.com/cgouskos
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/carrie/games/

Personal life and work life separate, yeah yeah I get it, but there's a difference between having to dig for this kind of information and "killing people in the face" with your 51 days in WoW.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:11:11 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: December 18, 2010, 04:27:40 PM

This is incredibly, incredibly nitpicky. Even if you make the best game in the world the LAST thing you want to do is go home and play it in your off-hours. There's nothing "questionable" about those tweets. And the VN boards reek of the sort of entitlement only nerds can muster.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: December 18, 2010, 04:39:19 PM

Even if you make the best game in the world the LAST thing you want to do is go home and play it in your off-hours.

Doubly true with an MMO, I'd wager.  I can see a CoD dev really enjoying CoD or something, but when you know you can just spawn a tier_7_uber_helmet for your work character when you head in to the office tomorrow, there's really not much incentive to run the same raid over and over again for a week to grind it.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #543 on: December 19, 2010, 07:21:52 AM

This is incredibly, incredibly nitpicky. Even if you make the best game in the world the LAST thing you want to do is go home and play it in your off-hours. There's nothing "questionable" about those tweets. And the VN boards reek of the sort of entitlement only nerds can muster.

Yup, it sure is nitpicky, as for questionable, if I thought it was clearly wrong I'd have said so.  I chose the word "questionable" because as a known news source for Mythic updates via twitter with 2,000 followers I do think it's questionable to be promoting xbox live and WoW, as clearly others do too, nerds or not.

It's not like WoW and Mythic devs don't have a history, Paul said he'd never played it.  The SA forums had people saying Mythic devs in their guilds appeared to be playing more WoW then WAR during the release of WAR.  Sanya even wrote about it.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. The point was, at the company to which I refer, it was pretty clear that if you wanted a seat at the idea table, you needed to be in the team leader's WoW guild. That was where everyone was bonding, building their relationships, and drawing all of their plans. Since I was supposed to doing some consulting with that team, I installed the game.

I uninstalled it the same night. It was a highly polished, smooth and easy experience. It was brilliantly executed with a lot of humor and style. Every rough edge had been meticulously sanded off, and for the first time in my life I found myself reading quest text written by someone with a mastery of English grammar and punctuation.

And I felt exactly like I did when I did the "It's A Small World" ride at Disneyland. I felt like a hamster being nudged through a maze with no branching tunnels, just one long piece of orange pipe. I felt like the genre had finally been reduced to the simplest possible Skinner box, and the lore didn't interest me enough to distract me from the pellet bar whacking.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #544 on: December 19, 2010, 04:38:52 PM

As best I could tell, WAR doesn't even have its achievements attached to Giant Bomb like WoW does.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: December 20, 2010, 04:44:16 AM

I sometimes think that Mythic touched Arthur in a bad place because this isn't even worth taking the time to insert the images into a post.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #546 on: December 20, 2010, 05:25:35 AM

That's true, I don't like being deceived, as for the images, took 60 seconds, I've linked stuff before only to have it disappear, the only reason this isn't causing a major fuss is a combination of very low playerbase and expectations.   

I think WAR finally broke me for mmo's, apart from watching this one sink and following DMO, I'm not even reading about anything else.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: December 20, 2010, 06:41:32 AM

The only reason it isn't causing a fuss is because it's stupid. I know, personally, video game developers across five or six different MMO companies at this point. Know how many play WoW as their main game? All of them. Know how many admit it publicly, or say the opposite? About a quarter of them. The Norwegians at the helm of Conan during development, talking about fine wine and steak? LOVED WoW. Some of them even loved... VANGUARD. Oh they didn't ADMIT it, of course. Trion? Same thing. Mythic? Yep. Dudes over at Icarus? Oh yeah and they made a game that wasn't even like WoW.

As far as Cary Whatsherface I don't recall her ever saying "I do not play WoW" even if it mattered, which it doesn't. There's plenty of shit to be pissed off about when it comes to this game. This is not one of them. This is dumb as fuck.

EDIT: Reread a bit and people are using her personal twitter feed as a primary news source for Mythic news? Fuck them, that's their damage. Chrissake, that's her personal twitter feed. Mythic has a very separate, very official twitter feed quite apart from this. This is actively making me angry. And you fucking people wonder why game devs have disdain for their audience.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:44:22 AM by Modern Angel »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #548 on: December 20, 2010, 06:50:36 AM

That's not what I was saying, not sure why you are getting so upset, I don't think this is a big deal, I was saying if the game was in a better state, population wise and mood wise, more players would.  If you want to argue the vn thread wouldn't be longer and WA wouldn't have picked this up if there were more players, go right ahead.  Mythic charged people dozens of times, on the scale of fuck ups this doesn't even register, it's still a minor blip even if you don't think people questioning something makes something questionable.

Edit Actually your reaction made a somewhat tame item, entertaining, so thanks.  The thread on vnboards has disappeared, they normally just lock them, not sure if that's temporary or not but jokes on me for screenshoting the wrong thing.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:59:00 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #549 on: December 20, 2010, 03:06:21 PM

OMG PERSON WHO MAKES MMOS FOR A LIVING PLAYS MMOS

ALERT MEDIA OUTLETS
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:12:14 PM by Lum »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #550 on: December 20, 2010, 03:23:15 PM

You know, I almost used you as an example.  Why have you always had a disclaimer on your blog since you first got employed at Mythic?

It should be obvious that your personal opinions should in no way reflect on your employers, yet you put it there because people are stupid.

If you guys want to keep missing the point, that's fine with me, I didn't think it was that major a thing but I've obviously crossed some kind of invisible line commenting on it.

edit, or to put it another way, how come there's no employment details on your twitter feed?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:32:18 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: December 20, 2010, 03:34:57 PM

I think the primary difference is that Lum is a commentator, and Carrie is just playing some video games. 

I could be wrong, of course.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #552 on: December 20, 2010, 03:41:18 PM

I haven't checked so I might be caught out here, but I'd bet Lum doesn't release mini press releases for his employer through either his blog or his twitter feed.  I imagine he keeps them separate.

If people really are telling me that a substantial portion of the 2000 followers Carrie has on twitter are not there because she updates on Mythic news then how come Scott has 795 followers when he actually is a commentator?

It should go without saying that WAR players are a bit twitchy about WoW, not to mention vn feeling the need to delete the thread.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #553 on: December 20, 2010, 03:48:45 PM

Just to make myself perfectly clear, I've linked far stupider player behaviour in the past.  That doesn't mean I approve of it, I said it was questionable because I saw the potential to give the players something to moan about for no good reason, not because I believe devs shouldn't play games, Christ on a bike.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: December 20, 2010, 03:57:30 PM

Eh, I admit answering War related questions from her personal twitter account is a bit odd.  I don't get the bit about her promoting WoW, though, given she last played it in Oct, 2009 according to the GiantBomb page.  The Xbox live achievement notices look to be automated updates from GB. 

Maybe I'm missing something?

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #555 on: December 20, 2010, 03:59:47 PM

Just me regretting I posted about it.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: December 20, 2010, 04:02:39 PM

Heh. I know that feeling.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #557 on: December 20, 2010, 06:50:34 PM

I read it as players getting a weak laugh out of a competing developer playing WoW. It was interesting enough to post.

However, it does open up the issue of being a well-known dev with public accounts that do things like track the games you play. It isn't fair that people will criticise those games, but it is going to happen.

I think it also pricked the PC fanboi Console Kneejerk by seeing how many Xbox 360 games a PC MMO developer was playing.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #558 on: December 20, 2010, 08:25:02 PM

I haven't checked so I might be caught out here, but I'd bet Lum doesn't release mini press releases for his employer through either his blog or his twitter feed.  I imagine he keeps them separate.

I have on rare occasions made notice of something I did that was work-related but always make any potential conflict of interest very obvious.

If people really are telling me that a substantial portion of the 2000 followers Carrie has on twitter are not there because she updates on Mythic news then how come Scott has 795 followers when he actually is a commentator?

Unlike me, Carrie, I believe, actually posts on Twitter, whereas I usually just use it to dump notices when I make blog posts. Plus, Carrie is far more visible in the Warhammer community being the leader of the development team.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #559 on: December 21, 2010, 12:31:41 AM

Lum, did I have a point saying it was "questionable" or not?  

I seem to remember some site ages ago going an awful lot further and calling for some dev to be fired for a reason I no longer remember.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  
Jump to: