Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:18:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  (Read 299920 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: December 18, 2011, 06:17:58 AM

The way this game out still makes me angry. It may be the last video game related thing that makes me legit pissed off.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: December 18, 2011, 07:51:32 AM

Doesn't DAOC still have 2 servers open  awesome, for real? They did the last time they showed player population stats on the herald lol
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #667 on: December 18, 2011, 01:05:18 PM

Why not? DAOC still has a better game.  awesome, for real

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #668 on: December 20, 2011, 02:15:58 PM

They could have just redone DAOC with better graphics and it would have made a lot of people much happier.  This may be a bigger fuck up of a game than Tabula Rasa.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: December 20, 2011, 02:17:33 PM

They could have just redone DAOC with better graphics and it would have made a lot of people much happier.  This may be a bigger fuck up of a game than Tabula Rasa.

At least TR had the sense to put a gun to itself and pull the trigger.  This game is now for masochists only.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:22:02 PM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #670 on: December 21, 2011, 05:21:10 AM

I've wondered if the launch of SWOR puts WAR onto a countdown timer to shutdown.

I'm amazed it lasted this long.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #671 on: December 21, 2011, 05:40:12 AM

I can't imagine that it takes much for them to keep it kicking along at this point.  There have to be some poor saps that are still paying for it.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #672 on: December 21, 2011, 06:05:39 AM

Well, as was said, DAoC is still kickin' it.  I would think that it would be put to rest far sooner than WAR, especially since WAR's working on that BG-only game that'll tie into it.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #673 on: December 21, 2011, 09:47:38 AM

I guess my point is that there's got to be a cut off point where the amount of maintenance money that they put into the game outstrips the revenue, but I can't imagine that the overhead is anything at all for either game now, considering the paltry updates (last updates on the news feed from 2010?).  Right now it's just free money for EA whenever idiots spend money on this stuff. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #674 on: December 29, 2011, 01:53:57 PM

One wonders if there is any stipulation in their contract with GW that means they have to keep it going for X amount of time, etc., also.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #675 on: December 29, 2011, 02:38:08 PM

I think it means that they made enough on box sales that there is no write-off for killing it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 03:08:43 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: December 29, 2011, 02:56:25 PM

I guess my point is that there's got to be a cut off point where the amount of maintenance money that they put into the game outstrips the revenue, but I can't imagine that the overhead is anything at all for either game now, considering the paltry updates (last updates on the news feed from 2010?).  Right now it's just free money for EA whenever idiots spend money on this stuff. 

It depends.

In general, software development costs need to be capitalized and then amortized over a period of time equal to the estimated useful life of the software.  Licensing costs must also be capitalized and amortized over a period of time.  Without researching it or working in the industry, I'm not sure what typical useful lives are for either an MMO or the associated licensing costs...  could be 3 years (typical for purchased software), or it could be 15 years (which is typical for most kinds of "intangible" asset).

Essentially, with big failures, companies may want to shut down because you can then abandon the projects and write off the entire capitalized amount at the time of abandonment, which nets you a tax benefit equal to your marginal rate x total costs written off.  If a company is going to have loss years anyway, they may just leave it open if the service is generating a positive cash flow.

So, a giant fucking failure would probably be something you want to get rid of right away through a sale or abandonment, even if it is generating positive cash flow, to speed up the associated tax write offs... but only if those tax write offs net you tax benefits.

On the other side, financial accounting (so US GAAP as opposed to US Tax).  Maybe the company wants to write off as much of their costs in the current year, so that they aren't carrying a loser on the books for the next two years.  Maybe the company doesn't want to hit their financial earnings this year, and is okay with taking smaller decreases in earnings over the next couple of years.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #677 on: January 10, 2012, 06:15:07 PM

Apparently only 2 NA / EU servers left. I may just be repeating AP's info though.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  
Jump to: