Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:27:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  (Read 301862 times)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: November 23, 2009, 08:19:50 PM

Who was the guy who cancelled The Sims Online / EA Land?

Or Asheron's Call 2?

Or Tabula Rasa?

No-one gets named for cancelling a MMO - it is just a company decision.

Nobody gave a shit about those games except the 12 people playing them.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: November 24, 2009, 08:08:58 AM

Two more dead

Phoenix Throne will be able to transfer to either Iron Rock OR Badlands

Dark Crag will be able to transfer to either Gorfang OR Volkmar

Edit:
So that's four US servers left  ACK!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:13:22 AM by fuser »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #142 on: November 24, 2009, 08:18:28 AM

That makes 5 servers.  3 months until it's completely dead.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: November 24, 2009, 08:19:26 AM

I really think that they would have been better served by just making the announcement.  When I read all of the explanation it came off as rather insincere.  The few remaining players, while a bit bummed, will be fine as long as they have a place to log on and fight.  By the looks of it, that may not last very long.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: November 24, 2009, 08:38:34 AM

Did they ever lift the restriction about having characters of both sides on the same server?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #145 on: November 24, 2009, 09:34:52 AM

That makes 5 servers.  3 months until it's completely dead.
3 months would tie it with Tabula Rasa awesome, for real
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: November 24, 2009, 12:21:31 PM

How many European servers are left now, exactly? (Including French, German, etc)

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: November 24, 2009, 02:16:15 PM

I thought warpstone was the test realm?
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: November 24, 2009, 04:48:30 PM

Ouch
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #149 on: November 24, 2009, 06:32:00 PM

Rondaror
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: November 25, 2009, 06:12:40 AM

Did they ever lift the restriction about having characters of both sides on the same server?

No.

I don't think that's a problem for the remaining players. As long as there are 2 servers left.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #151 on: November 25, 2009, 06:30:39 AM

How many European servers are left now, exactly? (Including French, German, etc)

Don't think it's worth the effort to find out.

November 18, 2009
After consulting the players of Eltharion and following the ensuing discussion we have now concluded that we will grant free character transfers to other servers starting (Monday the 23rd of November), Eltharion players using the Character Transfer option in the "My Profile" section on our website will be able to transfer to:
Karak-Norn (EN Core)
Karak-Azgal (EN Core)
Carroburg (DE Core)
Drakenwald (DE Core)
Athel Loren (FR Core)

Last EU open RVR server is now closing as well.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: December 02, 2009, 08:01:22 AM

http://pauser.com/warhammer/popmon/

There's a population monitor site still going apparently, so it is at least a way to sort of see how active the game's population is on what servers.  War just waited too long to make changes, and the only thing IMHO that can save that game is if they did like D&D online and went F2P.  Instead of RVR tokens, they could open up a store and let people buy things they need for their characters.

Because of the population issues, as well as realm imbalances, I don't see how people are going to want to pay a monthly fee to come back to this game.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #153 on: December 02, 2009, 08:10:04 AM

After EA's attempt at RMT with BF:H, I don't think EA has it in them.

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: December 02, 2009, 08:29:56 AM

War just waited too long to make changes...

This says it all.  WAR had potential.  The classes were interesting and the initial pvp and PQ's were fun.  They failed when they insisted that the customer adapt to their game rather than redesign the game to better cater to the customer.  Anything they do now would be too little, too late.  I doubt even F2P would revive this game without a major system revamp.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #155 on: December 02, 2009, 08:35:48 AM

the very sad irony will be as Mythic they could have survived with their current sub base (probably 100k?), but being part of EA that is in doubt.  Whether they could've launched as Mythic, I don't know.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: December 02, 2009, 08:38:15 AM

the very sad irony will be as Mythic they could have survived with their current sub base (probably 100k?), but being part of EA that is in doubt.  Whether they could've launched as Mythic, I don't know.

They sold almost 1 million boxes.  There was plenty of interest.  The push for mass market appeal diluted this game into zero appeal, even among the most devoted Mythic fans. 

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #157 on: December 02, 2009, 08:55:18 AM

And somewhere on some tropical island, Mr. Jacobs is manically giggling to himself wearing his money hat.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #158 on: December 02, 2009, 09:17:41 AM

He may even be wearing a money thong.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: December 02, 2009, 09:42:06 AM

And somewhere on some tropical island, Mr. Jacobs is manically giggling to himself wearing his money hat.  awesome, for real

I doubt it. Jacobs struck me as the type that wanted to be the man. He wanted to be the next Brad McQuaid. Despite protestations to the contrary, I think he wanted to be known as the man to take down Blizzard. To do so he made a deal with the devil, but he apparently forgot to bring his proverbial long spoon to dinner.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #160 on: December 02, 2009, 11:28:23 AM

He wanted to be the next Brad McQuaid. Despite protestations to the contrary, I think he wanted to be known as the man to take down Blizzard. To do so he made a deal with the devil, but he apparently forgot to bring his proverbial long spoon to dinner.

I think that's correct.  Again, I find it sad, but I think this is accurate. He lost sight of the real imperative -- make a fun game, not compete with Blizz.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: December 02, 2009, 01:00:56 PM

Jacobs was never about making a fun game, even back in DaoC, it was always a calculated move to make the most profitable game possible. It wasn't even a 'vision' thing or anything, just that if he thought ball breaking grind would result in longer subs and more money, then so be it.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #162 on: December 02, 2009, 01:06:09 PM

All these problems should have been clear in beta, but Mythic has always handled player testing pretty badly, right back to the Pendragon board days in DAOC. They wall everything up behind multiple tiers of NDAs and such to the point where no real communication can take place. Maybe a post-MJ Mythic will be smarter about that kind of thing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #163 on: December 02, 2009, 01:08:20 PM

Umm, Mythic is dead.  So I am guessing not.

"Me am play gods"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #164 on: December 02, 2009, 04:48:38 PM

Yes, yes, I just didn't want to type out EABiowareMythicFrankenstein'sMonster Studios.

Point being hopefully the people behind the completely wrongheaded customer relations/testing strategy Mythic always had have either left, changed their minds about it, or are no longer calling those shots.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: December 02, 2009, 08:19:03 PM

I doubt it. Jacobs struck me as the type that wanted to be the man. He wanted to be the next Brad McQuaid.

Well I guess he achieved that then. Both of them received possibly too much credit for one game that worked then crashed and burned trying to reproduce the magic. Along the way indicating maybe they didn't have magic answers.

Warhammer badly needed a "is this fun?" pass early on in the design process and then use beta to refine and extend it. Far too many of the base game-play mechanics just didn't seem to add anything to the game. Combine that with force-feeding and ignoring warning signs from the beta test, trying to shoehorn in an entire new gameplay mechanic (world RvR) very late in development. Then when things start falling apart after release add more classes and a new zone with new mechanics as if that's going to fix fundamental issues.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: December 02, 2009, 10:58:48 PM

WAR has more or less followed DaoC's general development path, but at an massively accelerated rate.

Don't actually fix anything, just keep slapping on more tape, it'll hold!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #167 on: December 03, 2009, 03:33:11 AM

It's funny playing LOTRO after WAR.  Turbine just added an instance skirmish system that's like a PVE only, bastard child of WAR scenarios and public quests.  I'll quote from a lotro thread on it for laughs at WAR design expense.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=305266

In one of the skirmish diaries, they said that each skirmish has a daily quest attached to it to encourage players to do all the skirmishes, not just stick with the one they feel is most profitable and do it over and over and over and over.... and get bored. So the daily quest gives you almost as many marks as the skirmish itself, making it more advantageous to do them all instead of repeating one.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: December 03, 2009, 05:52:28 AM

Dosent seem like that bad an idea to me.

Hic sunt dracones.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #169 on: December 03, 2009, 06:23:40 AM

Um yeah, if I was being too subtle, that was the point, I was contrasting lotro to WAR.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: December 03, 2009, 06:25:58 AM

Ahh, sorry. With you now.  awesome, for real

Hic sunt dracones.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #171 on: December 03, 2009, 06:52:21 AM

WAR had some design issues certainly, but its biggest issue was one of expectation. "War is everywhere!" and the promises of incredible PvP killed WAR just as dead as any mistake in design.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: December 03, 2009, 06:54:24 AM

WAR had some design issues certainly, but its biggest issue was one of expectation. "War is everywhere!" and the promises of incredible PvP killed WAR just as dead as any mistake in design.

I don't think most people believed the hype.  I think the box sales were a sign that gamers wanted something new to mess with that wasn't WoW.  WAR delivered a bad version of WoW.  That was the primary downfall. 

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #173 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:27 AM

I don't give Turbine much credit here.  When you remove PvP from the equation thing are allows much simpler.

"Me am play gods"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: December 03, 2009, 08:00:08 AM

I don't give Turbine much credit here.  When you remove PvP from the equation thing are allows much simpler.

Head scratch

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  
Jump to: