Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:28:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  (Read 333844 times)
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: August 06, 2009, 02:49:49 PM

Aion aion aion aion aion aion, aion aion aion. Aion! aion aion aion aion!

The best part about new MMO hype is the universal letdown a month afterwards. It's like everyone forgets about all the MMOs that have come out hyped and then flopped. How many "My WoW sub is running out right when War comes out!" posts were there?

But let me guess, Aion has it all figured out  why so serious?
columba
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: August 06, 2009, 03:20:01 PM

Aion aion aion aion aion aion, aion aion aion. Aion! aion aion aion aion!

The best part about new MMO hype is the universal letdown a month afterwards. It's like everyone forgets about all the MMOs that have come out hyped and then flopped. How many "My WoW sub is running out right when War comes out!" posts were there?

But let me guess, Aion has it all figured out  why so serious?

Hard to be worse than WAR, particularly since Aion has been out for nearly a year and has 3.5 million subs.
schild
Administrator

Reply #702 on: August 06, 2009, 03:40:01 PM

Aion has 3.5M paying subs?

* schild sighs.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: August 06, 2009, 03:44:38 PM

Hard to be worse than WAR, particularly since Aion has been out for nearly a year and has 3.5 million subs.

How many subs did Lineage 2 have before it was released in America a year 7 months after it came out?

Looks like about a million. How did that game pan out in the American market?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:47:24 PM by waffel »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #704 on: August 06, 2009, 03:45:37 PM

The best part about new MMO hype is the universal letdown a month afterwards. It's like everyone forgets about all the MMOs that have come out hyped and then flopped.

Well, I've certainly go my money's worth out of Warhammer simply by the entertainment value of internet discussions about it.  Warhammeralliance, et. al., are a hoot.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #705 on: August 06, 2009, 03:50:34 PM

How many subs did Lineage 2 have before it was released in America a year 7 months after it came out?

L2 was grindy squared, no idea what Aion is like for that.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: August 06, 2009, 04:41:27 PM

In the early levels it's reasonable.  Not quite as fast as WoW, however the speed of the first few levels won't be a stumbling block to anyone.  Actually it's probably close to T1 in WAR.

Once I knew what I was doing, my second character was 10 rather quickly, and I'm not exactly known for the speed at which I level.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #707 on: August 06, 2009, 06:08:32 PM

I got a toon to 12 barely playing beta.  Can't be too bad.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: August 06, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

It doesn't really matter. All it takes is a substantial loss and a lot of the servers will go below critical mass, which in turn reduces the morale of those hoping the game has a long term future. Even if Aion does end up being a temporary distraction the damage will already have been done.

From a warhammer point of view designing a very population dependant game with no tools to respond to changes and imbalances in population was  swamp poop

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: August 06, 2009, 08:22:15 PM

I think WAR will still be around a year from now, at least in some markets.  How many NA servers are we down to again?  Around 10 or so?  Yeesh. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #710 on: August 06, 2009, 09:09:03 PM

Triforcer has a greater view of EA's mercy than I do. EA renamed The Sims Online EALand, then shut it down a month or so later. EA are so hardcore they shut down their OWN LAND. Shutting down WAR won't be a big deal to them.

It could go F2P though. That's be funny.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: August 06, 2009, 09:12:56 PM

It could go F2P though. That's be funny.

Yeah, I think we are getting pretty close to that.  But WAR wasn't really designed as an MT game, I'm not sure what they would sell.  Ward gear?   Ohhhhh, I see.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
columba
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: August 06, 2009, 10:07:09 PM

The best part about new MMO hype is the universal letdown a month afterwards. It's like everyone forgets about all the MMOs that have come out hyped and then flopped.

Well, I've certainly go my money's worth out of Warhammer simply by the entertainment value of internet discussions about it.  Warhammeralliance, et. al., are a hoot.

There are markets out there other than the American market :)
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #713 on: August 06, 2009, 11:02:52 PM

There are markets out there other than the American market :)

And for WAR they've proven to be so profitable!  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:05:50 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: August 07, 2009, 05:50:46 AM

Leaked patch notes that went up on the EU forums and were quickly pulled for some reason
Edit:  Scratch that, official notes now

Highlights
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:24:23 AM by Shatter »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #715 on: August 07, 2009, 07:54:09 AM

Jeezus christ spoiler that 2 ton post, please.  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: August 07, 2009, 08:25:09 AM

lol sorry, posted the notes fast cause I had to get to a meeting, anyways fixed
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: August 07, 2009, 10:10:45 AM

Interesting point made. But you're acting somewhat as if NCSoft has to have a huge megahit or something here in the NA market to make its cheddar back.

The flip is that AION doesn't really NEED the NA/EU subs to stay around and be successful.  If they get them to resub for a few months,  that's fantastic. That's a few hundred thou box/digital sales and some subs.  But if the gamers book out, it won't make much of a difference to their core audience which they already have established overseas. I'm sure based on their costs (rumored $100m+) that they'll easily make that back with or without NA interest.

Gamers are the only ones who'll be buttsore until The Agency, Fallen Earth, Mortal Online or whatever else half baked piece of crapturd gets released next.

AION really isn't like WAR where if you pulled away their "secondary market" (even though WAR is a european iconic IP, it's a Mythic "American made game" that was after an "American audience") , the game would fold overnight. Without GOA and that market WAR dies. Without NA/EU markets NCSoft still has millions to roll around in.
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: August 07, 2009, 10:17:34 AM

I think WAR will still be around a year from now, at least in some markets.  How many NA servers are we down to again?  Around 10 or so?  Yeesh. 

Seven. But no one really is counting anymore.

And when you don't keep score, it's not really a game. It's just a intramural junior-high Walleyball activity.
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: August 07, 2009, 10:25:03 AM

And lets reflect back on this post shall we:

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=14695.0

swamp poop

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #720 on: August 07, 2009, 11:02:48 AM

AION really isn't like WAR where if you pulled away their "secondary market" (even though WAR is a european iconic IP, it's a Mythic "American made game" that was after an "American audience") , the game would fold overnight. Without GOA and that market WAR dies. Without NA/EU markets NCSoft still has millions to roll around in.

NCsoft West needs a hit game badly. It's not unthinkable for NCsoft Korea to pull out of the 'secondary' Western market (or at least stop bothering launching new titles) if they no longer feel it is profitable.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: August 07, 2009, 11:16:10 AM

What are Korean/China sub numbers at now for Aion?  Them bringing the game to Western markets is just icing on the cake if its already doing well outside NA.  How much does it cost them to make minor changes to the game to "westernize" it, new voiceovers and translate shit to English, pop open some servers and instant cha ching.  Box sales alone if they sell 500,000 units at $50 a pop thats a nice chuck of insta-profit subs not included, even more when you factor in CE sales at what $80 a box? Personally, I predict box sales to exceed 1 million within 3 months and I dont think thats unrealistic. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: August 07, 2009, 11:21:38 AM

How much does it cost them to make minor changes to the game to "westernize" it, new voiceovers and translate shit to English,

Not to derail things too far, but the voiceovers I believe cost them a few bags of twizzlers and 3 two-liters of Faygo... just going off the quality of the casting voices. Of course that equals millions in Korean dollars I guess.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: August 07, 2009, 05:16:47 PM

L2 was grindy squared, no idea what Aion is like for that.

grindy squared
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #724 on: August 07, 2009, 07:13:58 PM

grindy squared

Aion is no worse or better than Warcraft. 
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: August 09, 2009, 08:40:21 AM

grindy squared

That may be true, but Warcraft hasn't convinced me to spend $15 a month on it.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: August 09, 2009, 11:01:36 AM

grindy squared

That may be true, but Warcraft hasn't convinced me to spend $15 a month on it.

Its convinced enough people though.

I am the .00000001428%
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: August 09, 2009, 01:33:05 PM

* schild sighs.
If I said "I told you so" it'd probably end badly for me, no?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
schild
Administrator

Reply #728 on: August 10, 2009, 08:14:43 AM

* schild sighs.
If I said "I told you so" it'd probably end badly for me, no?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I know bad taste can't be accounted for.

3.5 Million people can, and often are, wrong.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #729 on: August 15, 2009, 09:22:37 AM

Syp goes to GenCon, talks to Mythic:

- A common misconception is that Mythic could have improved performance by just throwing more or better servers at the game — in fact, Andy said that the servers have performed far beyond what they ever expected, but that some of the server code was less-than-ideal, which they have been working at improving (this is in regards to some of the lag of the graphics-intensive mass combat battles).

- I asked what Mythic’s relationship is with BioWare these days, and the answer is that it’s mostly brainstorming back-and-forth between the teams.  BioWare is providing Mythic with story advice, and Mythic is giving BioWare information as to their engineering systems.

ACK!

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: August 15, 2009, 12:17:50 PM

Syp goes to GenCon, talks to Mythic:

and Mythic is giving BioWare information as to their engineering systems.

ACK!

They must mean the profession engineering  why so serious?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #731 on: August 15, 2009, 02:50:04 PM

Interview: Mythic On The Future of Ultima Online, Warhammer and Working with BioWare

IndustryGamers: Switching gears for a little bit, I'm curious about Mythic's future plans for Warhammer Online- will there be an expansion?

Josh Drescher: Oh yeah.  It remains a priority for the studio, and we're working closely with BioWare to see where EA games logo wants to go with it.  Ray Muzyka from BioWare has a very long term plan for the future and we've had to think further into the future because of that.  Most of existence, our studio has been on a shoestring budget so we couldn't think far ahead, but we just finished up a major patch for Warhammer Online and there's a lot of stuff we're thinking about improving and enhancing the gameplay experience and guaranteeing that product lives up to the legacy of the Warhammer franchise.  You should expect an expansion in the near future.

IG: Final question, what do you see for the future of EA and Mythic?

JD:  One of the things [CEO] John Riccitiello's done is the return EA to artisan game development.  Last year was a watershed year for the company, putting out several games with Metacritic of over 80 despite the economy, and we've been proud of the progress we've made.  That means developing great new properties and engaging IPs from the past and I wouldn't be surprised to see those resurrected down the line.

As we move away from this idea of gaming alone in a dark room in your underpants, a lot of these games that are legacy products may find new avenues.  We published Orcs & Elves and it doesn't matter that its graphics are of the Wolfenstein 3D era – it's still fun.  The great part of doing this is that you can have legacy games on newer platforms.  Philosophically, we're looking to the next 20 years of gaming, considering how people are starting to play games in different ways.  MMORPGS are on the leading edge of that with new stuff month after month – I think that's ahead of the curve and we're lucky to work for EA who sees the difficulties that the magazine, TV and music industry has had in the Internet age.

Been a while since the last time anyone mentioned an expansion.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #732 on: August 15, 2009, 08:22:36 PM

Hmm, an expansion means almost anything these days.

I love the blaming of the economy dig.  Grade-A fucking morons.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:25:19 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: August 15, 2009, 09:11:39 PM

But, but Metacritic!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #734 on: August 17, 2009, 03:06:14 AM

Hmm, an expansion means almost anything these days.

I love the blaming of the economy dig.  Grade-A fucking morons.

Yeah, aside from the internet connection and owning a computer, MMOs are about the cheapest time/money form of entertainment out there after the radio and TV.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  
Jump to: