Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  (Read 333856 times)
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #595 on: July 21, 2009, 04:50:12 PM

Demolition was awesome. They just screwed that.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: July 21, 2009, 08:25:30 PM

Yeah... many Marauders will be either quitting or rerolling to an OP class due to the lack of thought put into this patch.  

Really?  I thought Marauders were more focused DPS than AOE; I know White Lions were, when I played.  A global AOE nerf would seem to me to make melee DPS more viable (less "ranged DPS chucks AOEs at front line, tanks get healed [in theory, anyway], melee DPS goes down again").

Focused dps is only good in duels and scenarios, specially for marauders since their single target dps ability had to be used from behind.  You can't use that in 90% of the end game, single target positional based melee dps is simply useless in the game they designed.  My marauder was incredibly effective by staying behind the lines and using my mid range AoE attack that drained ap on crits.  Single target dps marauders were like wow dagger rogues, but without stealth or cc.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:27:48 PM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #597 on: July 22, 2009, 03:03:08 AM

Full patch notes in the spoiler. (Warning, huge list)

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/patchnotes/index.php?id=2009_1-3-0b

Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: July 22, 2009, 11:30:36 AM

BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT AND LEGENDARY PICTURES SIGN SAM RAIMI TO DIRECT UPCOMING WARCRAFT® MOVIE

"At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story," said Raimi. "I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen."

Charles Roven’s producing talents were recently seen with last summer’s blockbuster The Dark Knight, which grossed in excess of $1 billion, was nominated for eight Academy Awards® and won two. His body of work also includes the widely acclaimed Batman Begins and the sci-fi classic 12 Monkeys. Roven, with Atlas producing partner Alex Gartner, will be producing with Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull, Legendary’s Chief Creative Officer Jon Jashni, Raimi and Raimi’s producing partner Joshua Donen. Raimi’s partner, Robert Tapert, will be an Executive Producer and Blizzard Entertainment’s Senior Vice President of Creative Development, Chris Metzen, a Co-Producer.

Simply amazing watching WoW continue to rise, and WAR continue to swirl around the bowl.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: July 22, 2009, 12:14:23 PM

Do you really have to be such a tool.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: July 22, 2009, 12:46:40 PM

WOW movie will be out before WHO fixes their game
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #601 on: July 22, 2009, 01:48:14 PM

BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT AND LEGENDARY PICTURES SIGN SAM RAIMI TO DIRECT UPCOMING WARCRAFT® MOVIE

"At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story," said Raimi. "I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen."

Charles Roven’s producing talents were recently seen with last summer’s blockbuster The Dark Knight, which grossed in excess of $1 billion, was nominated for eight Academy Awards® and won two. His body of work also includes the widely acclaimed Batman Begins and the sci-fi classic 12 Monkeys. Roven, with Atlas producing partner Alex Gartner, will be producing with Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull, Legendary’s Chief Creative Officer Jon Jashni, Raimi and Raimi’s producing partner Joshua Donen. Raimi’s partner, Robert Tapert, will be an Executive Producer and Blizzard Entertainment’s Senior Vice President of Creative Development, Chris Metzen, a Co-Producer.

Simply amazing watching WoW continue to rise, and WAR continue to swirl around the bowl.

Completely the wrong thread for this. We can all have fun laughing at WAR's failure, but don't douche up the thread.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #602 on: July 22, 2009, 02:25:44 PM

just to be clear 1.3.0b is live not in test

We will be bringing all North American and Oceanic servers offline this morning for Game Update 1.3.0b.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #603 on: July 22, 2009, 02:46:24 PM

Wait, the complete AOE nerf went live to the actual paying public servers with how much testing? I see the first note in this thread about it is on July 18th, and the live date is July 21st. Did they really test this for no more than 3 days? Shit, if it got less than 2 weeks of testing, that's just ACK!

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: July 22, 2009, 03:00:15 PM

Wait, the complete AOE nerf went live to the actual paying public servers with how much testing? I see the first note in this thread about it is on July 18th, and the live date is July 21st. Did they really test this for no more than 3 days? Shit, if it got less than 2 weeks of testing, that's just ACK!

It went on PTS on the 16th.  On the 20th they announced they were taking down the PTS in preparation for rolling the patch out to Live.  I guess now it's on Live.

The confusion was that on the 20th waffel accurately said that Mythic was taking down PTS to put up the Live patch, but he posted the wrong article.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #605 on: July 22, 2009, 04:08:53 PM

5 days of public testing on an across the board AOE nerf?   ACK!

Somebody is smoking something fierce.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: July 22, 2009, 04:36:23 PM

It totally passed their QA staff!

(That QA was one of the stacked divisions is unimportant.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #607 on: July 22, 2009, 04:55:25 PM

So much for the PTS. You have to admit, with less and less people jumping on in the evenings and even less of a turn out for the PTS, its not a leap to see the staff just throw their hands up and say hell with it, but it in and see if it floats.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: July 22, 2009, 06:22:16 PM

To be fair they never wanted player feedback anyway. Guess they figured that instead of acting like it by keeping patches on the PTS for a few weeks they'd just cut the bullshit and push shit live.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: July 22, 2009, 07:47:26 PM

At this stage they have nothing to lose, really.

Hic sunt dracones.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #610 on: July 22, 2009, 08:15:26 PM

5 days of public testing on an across the board AOE nerf?   ACK!

Somebody is smoking something fierce.

If it works on Mythic's spreadsheets, why would you need to spend time on something as useless as player testing?  Ohhhhh, I see.

tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #611 on: July 22, 2009, 10:17:58 PM

Agreed.  If its not going bring down the server, it needs to go out the door.  They have nearly a year's worth of catch-up.

"Me am play gods"
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: July 22, 2009, 10:55:30 PM

they may be looking over their shoulder.  Thread on VN said the patch coincided with the beta weekend preview for Aion.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: July 23, 2009, 12:52:10 AM

Agreed.  If its not going bring down the server, it needs to go out the door.  They have nearly a year's worth of catch-up.

if they have nothing left to lose why not remove tier 3 and 4 by now.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #614 on: July 23, 2009, 01:19:40 AM

Gaarawarr Gabs with Josh Drescher – Part 1

GG:  So there are always rumors, but are there any plans for future races implemented within WAR?

Josh:  Obviously, when we launched, we did not use all the armies.  Certainly one of the things that we would potentially be looking to do in the future would be adding more.  The thing you have to be careful of, and this is just a lesson we’ve learned from making these types of games for 15 years, is you can get to the point where you’ve potentially added way too many and you wind up watering things down.  At the moment, our focus is definitively on improving the stuff that is currently within the game, so you want to fix things before you add additional things.  That’s a bit of a dodge, but absolutely one of the things that’s on the table though would be adding new races.
At the moment, one of the discussions we are having, obviously based strongly off of player feedback, is “What is the appropriate role of Crowd Control?”  I’m sure you have talked to Nate (Levy, C&C Strike Team Lead) and his guys about this at great length, but those are legitimate questions and we’re obviously not happy with where the game is in terms of that now.  You know some of those things are fixing actual bugs that are causing things to behave incorrectly.  But then there are also fundamental philosophical questions and discussions that need to be had about whether or not we currently have things set up in the right way in terms of how we expect those different archetypes to behave on the battlefield.

Over the next 6 to 9 months, you are going to see a lot of that type of internal soul-searching going on trying to really ego-check a lot of decisions we have made.  Because it is very easy to look back on something that you know in your gut is wrong and try to construct a defense around it.  That is almost never the right answer.  The right answer is almost always to go “It doesn’t matter why we chose to do this thing, but that it turned out not to work the way we would like it to.”  The only thing that matters is that we have the clarity of vision and the sort of fortitude necessary to look straight at it and go “OK, we need to make some changes.”  And that is where we are right now with a lot of things.

What Jeff (Hickman) was talking about over the last couple of months in his Producer’s Letters has been an effort to be as open as we ever can be about those types of things.  I realize that there is always a level of frustration because people want there to be some sort of Frost/Nixon moment where Jeff just lays bare all of the internal workings of the studio and explains in great detail exactly when certain changes are coming and so forth.  We can never be that detailed because it’s always in flux.  It’s always a fluid sort of process.

But we’ve been trying to send a message though, over the last 3 or 4 months, that we really are in a position now where we, as a studio, feel confident that we can look with a critical eye at a lot of the choices that were made over the development of the game and that we are supported on all sides.  From above, from below, from all around…EA is with us.  BioWare is with us.  Our own internal leadership is with us saying “The right thing to do is to make the best possible choices for improving the game.”  So that does not limit us in some sort of way.

New races now only "potentially" planned, "ego-check" everything.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: July 23, 2009, 01:52:56 AM

Hindsight is a hell of a thing.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #616 on: July 23, 2009, 02:21:40 AM

To put it more succinctly...

"Now that a certain, overbearing, high level gentleman is no longer with us, we can actually look into fixing the real problems."

Barnett is a deep fried douchebag, Jacobs made sorry attempts at feigned modesty, Hickman I'm not sure on yet but leaning towards douchey by osmosis from his counterpart. Drescher is the one cat on the team (in the public eye) that strikes me as a half decent guy.

Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: July 23, 2009, 04:08:54 AM

Interesting quote. I hear overtones of "Well, this is how we planned for the classes to operate on the battlefront, but the players fucked that up so we have to rethink and restructure our plan. Then we can address and change those classes and be guilt free if everything jumps off the cliff since it was the players' fault to begin with." On the other hand, he does come off as genuine and seems to have an intention of addressing the issues and he does give a hint of PR credibility. Little too late?

I do find the part where he says Bioware is with us to be pretty funny, or horribly sad if he truly thinks that.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: July 23, 2009, 06:31:38 AM

6 to 9 months..lol.  Aion will wipe a nice percentage of their player base...6 to 9 months from now there wont be more then 3 servers left.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: July 23, 2009, 06:42:01 AM

they may be looking over their shoulder.  Thread on VN said the patch coincided with the beta weekend preview for Aion.
Almost every weekend is a beta preview.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: July 23, 2009, 07:34:56 AM

This statement confuses me.  Aion beta preview weekend ended Monday and they are bi-weekly, next one isnt until July 31-Aug 3.  The 1.3.0b patch went live yesterday, how does that coincide? 
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: July 23, 2009, 09:10:01 AM

God that ego-check stuff is an amazing code word for what went on.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: July 23, 2009, 11:29:52 AM

This statement confuses me.  Aion beta preview weekend ended Monday and they are bi-weekly, next one isnt until July 31-Aug 3.  The 1.3.0b patch went live yesterday, how does that coincide? 

dunno, just relaying unreliable info. Sorry if dates incorrect.  Thought it was interesting for 2 reasons 1) speed of patch to Live, 2) EA earnings report next week.  I speculated they had to speed up the buzz (if only internally) of big-C change happening for the title.
columba
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: July 23, 2009, 11:48:33 AM

The ego check is very revealing.  Mythic in general, and Jacobs in particular never could admit mistakes.  Even now, Jacobs blames other for his failure in WAR.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: July 23, 2009, 01:16:35 PM

6 to 9 months..lol.  Aion will wipe a nice percentage of their player base...6 to 9 months from now there wont be more then 3 servers left.

The quarter after AION releases is going to have a big impact on the future of WAR.  I think the recent mergers created 10 US servers, and out of those the populations are still out of whack. I don't know about 3 servers being left, but I could certainly see them only having about 5 US servers with medium/medium populations in prime time.  Either way that has to be a disaster for that game.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: July 23, 2009, 01:18:46 PM

The ego check is very revealing.  Mythic in general, and Jacobs in particular never could admit mistakes.  Even now, Jacobs blames other for his failure in WAR.

Can blame all he wants, when you're the head guy in charge and things dont work out point fingers all you want but ideally you were the one in charge.  If someone under you F'd up, you let it slide so its still your fault.  I guess in his little world a manager isnt responsible for the work his people do(or fail to do), not that I believe for 1 minute that any of this isnt his fault
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #626 on: July 23, 2009, 01:39:01 PM

The quarter after AION releases is going to have a big impact on the future of WAR.  I think the recent mergers created 10 US servers, and out of those the populations are still out of whack. I don't know about 3 servers being left, but I could certainly see them only having about 5 US servers with medium/medium populations in prime time.  Either way that has to be a disaster for that game.

I was thinking the same thing. Aion really seems to be billing its self as the next "PVP" game, and at the same time trying to go for "WoW but better". I can imagine it is going to draw a lot of subs away from WAR and AOC percentage wise, and a smaller percentage, but maybe a larger number, from WoW.

I see WAR losing up to 50% of their remanning active accounts.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: July 23, 2009, 03:15:04 PM

looks like they need DBA's, gear awards borked

Greetings,
I am regretful to say that the renown gear as it was previous to today was actually the result of data corruption. The renown merchant gear you see today has been restored to what it had been previously and what it was intended to be. When we learned of the issue we desired to resolve it immediately, but the scope of correcting an issue of that size was not feasible prior to a major patch. I take no joy in conveying the removal of an object of desire, but the unfortunate reality was that the items in the form they were quite literally broke power cadence of the lower tiers.

Regarding the decision to not retroactively change the items in existence, there were a number of potential risks involved that were too significant to permit. Inevitably the owners of the items now will grow out of them and the risk of item loss to a player resulting from a mistake on our part is absolutely unacceptable. Apologies for the inconvenience, or in this specific case, the disappointment :smileysad:.

Happy hunting,
H

Haley Chivers
Character Systems & Itemization Designer
Mythic Entertainment

So where are the talisman slots??? Why were those removed I cant justify the loss of those what's the point of the gear? Thanks for forcing me to orvr for low drop rate medals and lng grinding of unbalanced keep takes. Please restore talisman slots to renown gear as soon as possible

Greetings,
The talisman slot missing is indeed a bug and we're in the process of putting together a fix to restore it to the new items on the merchant. When it is restored it will appear on any gear you purchased since it went missing. We hope to have this fixed on all servers in the very near future. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Happy hunting,

H
Haley Chivers
Character Systems & Itemization Designer
Mythic Entertainment
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:19:30 PM by Soln »
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: July 23, 2009, 03:34:00 PM

I am regretful to say that the renown gear as it was previous to today was actually the result of data corruption. The renown merchant gear you see today has been restored to what it had been previously and what it was intended to be.

swamp poop What the fuck? (this deserved to be spelled out in full)

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: July 23, 2009, 04:47:00 PM

Warhammer losing players and devs. Patches come out and nobody cares.

DAoC holding steady on players and is gaining devs. New servers planned and ex-players seem to be taking a closer look.

The game MJ abandoned is being given some new life by the company that abandoned him. Suck on that MJ you chubby bastard asshole
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  
Jump to: