Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:50:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  (Read 333816 times)
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: July 02, 2009, 12:59:45 PM

LOD gave them a minor boost on new forum accounts, a few hours of the 1st of July still to go and they have already had 2820 new accounts created in the last 4 weeks.

2, 820 accounts in about a month's time? That doesn't sound good at all.

Does that even fill a third of a server? Isn't the average server capable of around 10k players or so?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: July 02, 2009, 02:11:44 PM

Unless creating a game account also creates a new forum account, we don't know total new players.  It also tells us nothing about the rates of retention, resubscription, or cancellations.

What it does give us is a comparison to past rates of new forum registrations.  As long as player behavior remains somewhat consistant (which it will short of a promotion which encourages people to sub in greater than normal numbers), it gives us a rough idea of the rate of new subs compared to previous periods.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: July 02, 2009, 03:06:44 PM

What it does give us is a comparison to past rates of new forum registrations.  As long as player behavior remains somewhat consistant (which it will short of a promotion which encourages people to sub in greater than normal numbers), it gives us a rough idea of the rate of new subs compared to previous periods.

I wonder if they show the last login date and last post date, then you could mine some real numbers.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: July 07, 2009, 01:06:58 AM

I almost feel for the Warhammer developers. The game is still bleeding population, the gameplay is highly dependant on having an active and balanced population, there are multiple systemic issues and the player morale seems to be really low. They've got to be very close to losing critical mass and I would love to be at the staff meeting after Aion launches.

Even if they make all the right moves from here on the game just simply may not be recoverable due to the negative feedback system of low populations, no new population to keep the earlier tiers alive and no progression in the end game to keep the veterans happy. Admitting that though would be a major loss of face and leave the studio really vulnerable itself.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #389 on: July 07, 2009, 01:19:35 AM

I would love to be at the staff meeting after Aion launches.
If only there was a way!

Although I agree, even if they bring out something that fixes everything everyone had an issue with with gameplay so polished that it made your eyes bleed liquid pleasure, a lot of people wouldn't come back simply because what they brought out initially wasn't up to scratch and because they ignored a lot of beta testers feedback of issues that are still in the game.

As a lot of people were, I'm sad to see it like this, and like a dying pet I think it has to go.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #390 on: July 07, 2009, 02:21:24 AM

Our guys have returned to WAR recently, and I gotta say we're having a helluvah lot of fun. The almost singular reason being server choice. Iron Rock is hopping damn near 24 / 7.

I work really out of control hours because my work involves overseas markets. I'm, for all practical purposes, a night shifter. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when two of my guildies and I found double warband + size RVR going on at 2:00 in the afternoon on a Monday. In Tier 3 none the less. The balance so far is just about right as well. Sometimes we eat the Destro zerg, sometimes we roll our own zerg. I've been in all kinds of scenes on this server so far. From multiple keep rapes in under an hour to 3 hour long keep defenses.

Scenarios are very often insta queue. In anywhere near primetime hours, the longest we've probably waited is 5 - 10 minutes. That happening only when extremely heavy RVR is going on in our tier. Extremely heavy being 3+ warbands per side doing keep knocks / zone locks.

We're playing WAR as a simple PvP getaway. In that regard, it's good stuff. Quick, easily accessable PvP with long term goals for those who want to pursue them.

Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: July 08, 2009, 07:00:24 PM

I almost feel for the Warhammer developers. The game is still bleeding population, the gameplay is highly dependant on having an active and balanced population, there are multiple systemic issues and the player morale seems to be really low. They've got to be very close to losing critical mass and I would love to be at the staff meeting after Aion launches.

Even if they make all the right moves from here on the game just simply may not be recoverable due to the negative feedback system of low populations, no new population to keep the earlier tiers alive and no progression in the end game to keep the veterans happy. Admitting that though would be a major loss of face and leave the studio really vulnerable itself.

They won't be in pain much longer. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bioware-mythic-will-help-star-wars-mmo

"BioWare has told Eurogamer that Mythic Entertainment will "without a doubt" help out on Star Wars: The Old Republic, as there are "absolutely opportunities to share and learn" within the newly formed RPG/MMO group.

As for BioWare helping Warhammer Online, however, co-founder Greg Zeschuk is not so sure."

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #392 on: July 08, 2009, 08:58:21 PM

the Creative Director still has a budget for travel and self promotion: http://www.develop-conference.com/developconference09/biog_detail.shtml?id=2812
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: July 09, 2009, 07:51:45 AM

"BioWare has told Eurogamer that Mythic Entertainment will "without a doubt" help out on Star Wars: The Old Republic, as there are "absolutely opportunities to share and learn" within the newly formed RPG/MMO group.

Chances Old Republic will suck just went up by a couple dozen orders of magnitude.

Over and out.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #394 on: July 09, 2009, 08:18:14 AM

Chances Old Republic will suck just went up by a couple dozen orders of magnitude.

OR.... they mean share and learn what-the-fuck NOT to do.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #395 on: July 09, 2009, 08:36:04 AM

Sigh. Bioware learning from Mythic how to make games? Fuck, force gripping to faction guards = valid RVR tactic?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: July 09, 2009, 10:19:33 AM

Look on the bright side, it's not exactly like getting knocked into lava will break canon.  why so serious?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #397 on: July 09, 2009, 11:20:27 AM

OR.... they mean share and learn what-the-fuck NOT to do.

When has Mythic ever learned what-the-fuck NOT to do?  They may have a hard time communicating that.   We just have to hope the SWTOR team has better than average critical reading skills.

Paul: If there's one think gamers love, it's MORE BARS.  MORE BARS TO TRACK HOW AWESOME YOU ARE! WAAAAAAAAAAAARRGGG.
SWTOR team:  *audible groan*  I thought we told him the meeting was at 2.  Who told him?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:25:43 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: July 09, 2009, 12:03:03 PM

Look on the bright side, it's not exactly like getting knocked into lava will break canon.  why so serious?

Ok, that one got me.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: July 09, 2009, 04:21:34 PM

It is STILL shocking to me that a AAA title like WAR has crashed and burned so thoroughly.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: July 09, 2009, 05:05:12 PM

It is STILL shocking to me that a AAA title like WAR has crashed and burned so thoroughly.

How do you feel about Vanguard and Tabula Rasa? 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #401 on: July 09, 2009, 05:15:23 PM

So wait, does this joint effort mean the Paul is going to be tied to SWTOR in any way shape or form?  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: July 09, 2009, 06:50:33 PM

How do you feel about Vanguard and Tabula Rasa? 

The only comparison between WAR and TR is that they both have/had a problem with the endgame. There was little reason to stick around with TR after 3 months or so, but those 3 months were fun as heck. In WAR the first tier is fun and a bit of the second tier but then it really hits a wall. In TR the devs really listened and improved the game massively. Not here, they seem to have made it worse.

Hic sunt dracones.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: July 09, 2009, 07:38:44 PM

The thing that WAR and TR had in common were their development budgets.  Isn't that what makes a title AAA?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:40:40 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: July 09, 2009, 07:57:13 PM

The thing that WAR and TR had in common were their development budgets.  Isn't that what makes a title AAA?

Good Point.

Hic sunt dracones.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #405 on: July 09, 2009, 09:06:46 PM

but those 3 months were fun as heck.

Really?  Ohhhhh, I see.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #406 on: July 09, 2009, 11:46:11 PM

the Creative Director still has a budget for travel and self promotion: http://www.develop-conference.com/developconference09/biog_detail.shtml?id=2812

The best part of that little nutshell bio is that he references Bioware-Mythic, claims to be "mates with Jeff Kaplan (Blizzard, WoW)" and has no mention whatsoever of Warhammer/WAR.

awesome, for real

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: July 10, 2009, 02:51:55 PM

If thery have a Tor Mustafar scenario, my advice is stay out.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #408 on: July 10, 2009, 03:18:01 PM

I can't link a source for this for obvious reasons, but I believe it to be accurate.

GOA had an internal meeting in Dublin recently, over 50% of jobs are to go (that's well over 100 staff), subscription numbers for WAR in the US are currently standing at just under 15k, Europe has a touch over 80k.  No figures for Russia or Taiwan were mentioned.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: July 10, 2009, 03:22:32 PM

Seriously?  That seems really low for the US.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #410 on: July 10, 2009, 03:24:20 PM

I can't link a source for this for obvious reasons, but I believe it to be accurate.

GOA had an internal meeting in Dublin recently, over 50% of jobs are to go (that's well over 100 staff), subscription numbers for WAR in the US are currently standing at just under 15k, Europe has a touch over 80k.  No figures for Russia or Taiwan were mentioned.

Holy shit. That seems incredibly low. Not that I know anyone still playing but if that's even close to the number the game's in way worse trouble than I'd thought.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: July 10, 2009, 03:47:39 PM

Sure it's not 150k for US? 
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #412 on: July 10, 2009, 04:05:18 PM

Yeah, just under 15k, if there's massive job cuts coming at GOA I'd expect to see the sub info elsewhere soon.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: July 10, 2009, 04:37:21 PM

Popcorn
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: July 10, 2009, 04:40:28 PM

Popcorn

This. I hate Mythic as much as the next I-quit-the-game-and-raged-on-my-cds guy but 15k is almost unbelievably low.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: July 10, 2009, 04:42:02 PM

That can't possibly be right
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #416 on: July 10, 2009, 04:44:30 PM

That realllllllly seems like it must involve a dropped 0.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: July 10, 2009, 04:45:41 PM

That can't possibly be right

I think it's possible.  Most of the massive guilds now have populations in the double digits (as in like 20 or so).  The game has been bleeding people like crazy. 

-  Mark Twain
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: July 10, 2009, 04:47:00 PM

Anarchy Online has 20k. It has more than AO.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #419 on: July 10, 2009, 05:02:06 PM

Job losses are expected to hit in September, so I guess it might be a while before anyone confirms it, current subscription info was direct from a senior vice president of GOA.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong *doesn't think he's wrong*. 

I've been on holiday and Ireland's not that big a place.  I guess it's possible GOA has the US sub info wrong but it's so low you would expect them to say "what" rather than concentrate on how well Europe is doing, (compared to the US that is).
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  
Jump to: