Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now.  (Read 298919 times)
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: October 29, 2010, 04:48:47 AM

I was going to register for the beta a while back but then decided my time was better spent picking out my belly button lint.  I could of made the wrong decision but I have doubts
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #456 on: October 29, 2010, 07:12:35 AM

If anyone gets a code they don't want, please PM with it. I promise to not get you banned.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: October 29, 2010, 09:40:07 AM

There is no code, they're finally learning to just flag accounts to avoid exactly that sort of thing.

I can get you in "bloodline champions" though! No? OK.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #458 on: October 29, 2010, 10:03:59 PM

There is no code, they're finally learning to just flag accounts to avoid exactly that sort of thing.

I can get you in "bloodline champions" though! No? OK.

I've got my own code for that, thanks.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #459 on: November 08, 2010, 06:06:36 AM

Not linking to it, but YouTube has a remarkable number of closed beta videos with the responsible characters being fully identified. And these videos have been up for a while. Either SOE is remarkably disorganised in getting YouTube to take them down or they are so confident that the videos look good they are leaving them up.

Kovacs
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: November 22, 2010, 03:51:58 PM

Looks like more Beta invites went out.  Oddly, makes me think Diablo meets EQ2.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #461 on: November 22, 2010, 05:26:11 PM

I'm pretty sure you would have had to sign an NDA to start any beta process, so probably shouldn't comment on what you think the game is like.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #462 on: November 22, 2010, 07:35:13 PM

Yeah, that's borderline.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #463 on: November 30, 2010, 06:07:35 AM

So, SOE "guaranteed" that if people preordered DCUO by November 15, they'd get beta access by November 30. Right now there are a lot of players asking SOE where their beta key is - a fact not helped by SOE's submission process that didn't send out an email confirmation when people uploaded their preorder receipt.

However, I tip my hat to SOE's treatment of PS3 players. Now, there is still a chance that the PS3 beta will start today, but as of time of writing, the PS3 beta has not started and SOE's response appears to be that giving PS3 preorder players a PC beta key - if they file a support ticket in many cases - is appropriate.

(Allegedly the same key will unlock both the PC and PS3 DCUO beta, but since the PS3 beta hasn't started yet, we'll see. You'd probably need your SOE and PS3-relevant accounts linked in some way for that to work, but I don't pretend to know how those account systems might already be linked.)

I'm curious how SOE can next sabotage the launch of DCUO, but I have faith.

EDIT: Yeah, no PS3 beta starting (but it is "soon") and SOE posted on DCUO's Facebook page that PS3 users are getting a PC beta key in the meantime. SOE's general attitude appears to have been, "We always meant you'd get into PC beta because console MMOs are hard".

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the PS3 preorder crowd.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:46:47 PM by UnSub »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #464 on: December 06, 2010, 04:47:40 PM

NDA lifted for DCUO.

Heh, the overwhelming positivity of some posters must have seen SOE think they can drop the NDA to global acclaim. Either that or the amount of leaks just doesn't make it worthwhile having it up.

So...

Putting aside the unpolished / unfinished parts (e.g. voiceovers not professionally completed, a chat system that makes WAR's launch chat look sophisticated by comparison, no icons on things sent to you by mail, teaming system that is pretty much non-existent, etc) DCUO's core problem is content. There is too little of it. Less than ChampO at launch in my estimation.

I'm still under a level cap of 20 (max level 30) but the truth is that getting any character to level up will see them do missions from all 3 mentors on their side. Each mentor (i.e. Batman, Lex Luthor, etc) has some unique missions, but you'll automatically find the other missions in your journal when you hit the right level. Street grinding is basically worthless for XP, so you'll do those missions, which basically makes replayability with a character on the same side an exercise in repetition.

On top of that, heroes and villain characters also end up sharing opponents, so that both Batman and the Joker (I think) send you up against Bane.

SOE's endgame for DCUO is raids, PvP and collecting epic armour. This is despite implementing a PvP system that seems destined for trouble: you have heroes and villains sent to the same in-game areas to complete similar (sometimes opposing) tasks, such as defend medics vs destroy ambulances. Now, you don't have to flag for PvP, but hitting a PC on an opposing side currently flags you for PvP. So, if you happen to execute an AOE with an opposing PC in range, it can be blood in the water.

Also, I haven't really done any PvP, but I believe that stunlock is completely possible. You can hammer on the shift key to break out, but you'll probably be dead by then.

The weapon / power system works better for some combos than others, but you are currently limited to 6 powers per role - PS3 restriction that is grinding on a lot of PC players. Not all powers are equal, not by a long shot and notes on how they are restricted / what they do (e.g. only one flying drone pet active at a time, despite there being 3 or more that you can get) aren't detailed enough.

If DCUO launches as F2P, I think it will do very well. It is short and fun enough in bursts. It isn't worth $15 a month, especially since you will complete that trip to lvl 30 in probably 2 weeks and left with PvP / raid options to do over and over and over again.

UPDATE: Should add that their is unintended hilarity with the in-game currency system, where you take down the Scarecrow and receive $27 as a mission reward.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:35:21 PM by UnSub »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: December 06, 2010, 05:41:04 PM

In other news, Champions Online going free to play early next year. why so serious?

Seriously though, I think they had a real chance here to pick up on an aging genre (Super hero MMOs) because CoX is on its last legs from what I've heard and Cryptic really never had the resources to apparently do what they needed to with CO, even though their game is better than it was at launch by a fairly wide margin.

Missed opportunity by the sound of it.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: December 06, 2010, 05:44:17 PM

It's a real shame, too. The Super Hero setting is basically perfect for your typical MMO. Who knows how long it'll be before we get a real successor to COH.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: December 06, 2010, 08:03:02 PM

I played for like a week. They did a great job on the staff combat animations, but guns seemed so much more powerful.  Didn't like how missions were soloable then the bosses were not.

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: December 06, 2010, 09:16:19 PM

It's a Diku MMO. I played it for a day, got bored, and never touched it again. Nothing broken about it, but nothing special either, no hook.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: December 09, 2010, 03:22:46 AM

No NDA? Good. I actually have liked what I've played so far. It's everything CO should have been IMO. My only real gripes so far are that the costume selection isn't as big yet as COH or CO (but I'm assuming that will change) and the console-y-ness of the controls. I might have to experiment with a game controller to see if I like it better. Other than that, it's still in beta so I'm hoping it's not the finished product I'm playing and the combat mechanic is great. You can hard target enemies but I like actually being able to aim and shoot, stomp, etc. The game feels good to me. If I had to go out on a limb, I'd say this is to COH what WoW was to EQ. And the graphics are still pretty good even turned way down. I was afraid at first that my system would evaporate due to the CPU and GPU overheating but I was able to tone things down and still have a good play experience. Two thumbs up SOE. You have potential fun here, don't mess it up!

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: December 09, 2010, 04:19:29 AM

The control mechanics are one of my biggest gripes with it right off the bat.  I did not like the way it controlled either via keyboard and mouse or by controller.  I don't really have any direct comments on how it could be better, and admittedly it's pretty remappable, but it's the targeting system and some of the movement that I found rather difficult to get used to.

The extreme lack of costume and appearance choices was the other major problem with it.  A lot of costume pieces appear to be earned in-game, which isn't really something I'm a fan of in this particular setting of games.  I don't mind having to earn cooler looking armor in some settings, but the superhero setting seems like I should start with exactly the costume I want right off the bat.  Beyond that is the fact that even at release, CoH had more options for both costumes and physical attributes, and I'm left incredibly underwhelmed by the costume creator.

Other than those two problems, though, I didn't really see any major issues.  A bunch of unfinished stuff like UI elements and quest dialogues and that kind of thing, but it's not going to be released for a couple months, so those can be fixed.  Unfortunately, I also didn't really see anything that really caught my attention, either.  Admittedly I didn't even try out the PVP, which might be interesting although I doubt it, but other than that, I didn't see any indication of anything that would really catch my interest.  It is probably worth checking out for anyone who thinks that this sort of game might catch their interest, though.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: December 09, 2010, 05:04:59 AM

I didnt hate it but didnt get the hook for it either even though I did really try and spent a good 10 hours or so the first weekend.  I think the best part of what I saw was it ran very smoothly for me and was virtually lag free so its fairly polished that way.  I had no issues with controls for the most part and it didnt take long to get used to them.  The quests were ok and it was fun to interract with objects in the world both as part of quests and outside of quests.  I think for people who enjoy super hero MMO's they will probably like this. 
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: December 09, 2010, 10:02:39 AM

It struck me as basically a non-broken version of CO. It has the same action-y setup but fixes all the clunky or broken mechanics like energy building and blocking (respectively). Thing is, a non-broken version of CO still isn't very fun to me. I got more enjoyment out of playing with the superspeed physics and making cars swerve and blow up than I did from any of the questing or combat. I keep meaning to go back and give it another shot, but I just... haven't.

For the record, lumping CoX, CO, and now DCUO together as "superhero MMOs" doesn't sit right with me - DCUO and CO are very similar to each other, but very different from CoX. Could just be the fanboy in me talking though.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #473 on: December 09, 2010, 01:51:20 PM

I would love to give you my impressions of DCUO since I was in the beta. Unfortunately, their shittastic launcher/patcher which was made in the very depths of Satan's colon, NEVER WORKED. I could never fully download the game, their beta forums were less than useless and what CM's they had on the forums were about as helpful as ball cancer.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: December 09, 2010, 02:12:24 PM

I only played for a couple of hours back in October and quickly grew bored. I didn't hate it. I don't have any strong feelings about DCUO at all, actually. I just didn't much feel like playing any more.

Flying around cities and exploring Watchtower was neat, but the quests were pretty basic dikulikes; kill a bunch of bad guys, channel onto a thingamabob on the ground, zone into a little instance killing more mobs, repeat. Questing was all fairly streamlined, but didn't have the polish and extensive scripting seen in WOTLK. It felt like it was one (and now two) generations behind. New MMOs really need to look at the WoW DK newbie experience as a minimum quality level. That was 2 years ago.

Combat felt terrible. I just hit buttons as fast as possible, nothing had any real punch, and action on screen only felt loosely connected to the buttons I pushed. Movement also felt clunky, and while it was two months ago now, I remember hating the mouse controls as well.

If it launches F2P and markedly improved since I last played, focusing particularly on the newbie experience, I suppose it could claw its way to profitability. I don't predict great things at $15/month.

On the bright side, the intro cinematic with all the heroes and villains fighting is awesome. Definitely watch that on Youtube or something.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:16:35 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: December 09, 2010, 03:29:42 PM

I got my invite today! No thanks.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: December 09, 2010, 03:36:14 PM

I watched someone else play it for about a half hour today, and came away with a headache.

I like how fast it appears to play, but the whole screen was washed with a constantly shifting Matrix-scape of reflective gleams, particle effects, and blink-and-you-miss-it transient combat notifications. I don't know if it gets more comprehensible, but it was shoving so much eyecandy and so many numbers on the screen so quickly, I couldn't understand anything I was seeing beyond "punch the robots."

Or maybe I'm just old.

Other than that, I saw a lot of hitchy and/or missing animations. I'm dubious about the loot system. Unlike CoH which allows you to make your own appearance and dispenses with loot altogether, I saw a mob drop a cloak that changed appearance as well as stats. That seems like a big mistake in a genre where costume is the crux of character identity.

It's a nice looking game. It's just coming off a bit too much for the ADD crowd at first glance.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Kovacs
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: December 09, 2010, 04:43:39 PM

Equiping a lootted item gives the character the option of using that items appearance later.    Some of the appearances, I gather are unavailable at creation as they give Achievements.  You need to equip the item that's normally BOE though in order to acquire the ability to equip that appearance. 
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #478 on: December 10, 2010, 08:56:54 PM

PS3 beta keys have gone out.

Given that DCUO was about a 14GB download and SOE released an 8GB patch the other day, some PSN people are waiting a long time to see the game even ready to play.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: December 14, 2010, 02:49:25 PM

PS3 beta keys have gone out.

Given that DCUO was about a 14GB download and SOE released an 8GB patch the other day, some PSN people are waiting a long time to see the game even ready to play.

It's out on PSN+ today too for people willing to pay.  117MB tho, wonder if its a streaming install?

DC Universe Online Beta (free)
Join the DC Universe Online beta and become part of the next legendary game world.
ESRB RP
File size: 117 MB
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #480 on: December 14, 2010, 05:10:36 PM

That has to be the installer - some PS3 players have indicated they've had their download running for a day or more before DCUO is installed.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #481 on: December 15, 2010, 06:46:29 AM

Three videos on why the open world PvP of DCUO is not going to gain a big audience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0LYJt6ivLg&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1wYuqej8k&feature=related (low sound)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AosIHUrp5FU&feature=related

In the first video, the police station is one of the newb safehouses. Yes, it has bouncers that can send a target for 3 blocks (which the villain in the first video uses as a chance to heal back up) but it's still pretty easy for a group to form a 'cage' around the exit.

The second video shows the issue with having heroes and villains contest exactly the same spots for their missions. It sounds great in theory, but when you are a player who is just trying to activate one of the glowies you become a target, let alone fight some mobs. In order to get out of those multiple stuns you have to hammer the shift key.

The third video shows a level 12 hold off a lvl 21, but that's due to the lvl 12 having Nature self-heals which are currently considered the best in-game. Yes, they had some skill to hold off the lvl 21 (who didn't know they had to hammer the shift key to break those stuns) but the self-heals kept them alive.

DCUO has only two adventure zones - Gotham and Metropolis - plus a limited number of Arenas / instanced PvE maps. Stomping the spandex out of newbs (who can only come out of one of three safe houses) is going to be a national pass time. I'm amazed that the game designers didn't think this would be an issue so have taken so few steps to stop it. Or maybe I should just LOLPVP and move on.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #482 on: December 15, 2010, 09:21:21 AM

Wow, that's terribad. Also, why is everyone jumping all the time?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #483 on: December 20, 2010, 02:00:02 PM

Wow, that's terribad. Also, why is everyone jumping all the time?

Do you play MMOs?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #484 on: December 20, 2010, 09:03:44 PM

A number of retailers have simultaneously indicated a mid-January release for DCUO. SOE is currently not commenting.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #485 on: December 21, 2010, 07:22:11 PM

Confirmed - DCUO to launch January 11.

Christ, SOE have just buried this - a launch with about 20 days notice, a patch where they just nerfed weapon damage across the board (a way of extending leveling time) and a chat / team system that still needs significant work. Also critical was SOE's communication to PS3 players about why they should be paying a subscription to access DCUO and they haven't done that - PS3 players will start screaming when they try to return DCUO to GameStop and suddenly find they can't. The cynic in me thinks that SOE is stealth launching this title in an effort to collect the preorder money before various players cancel it.

If DCUO launches as a F2P, it has a chance. If it launches at $15 a month, crash and burn.

UPDATE: read through more links. Launching at $15 a month with unspecified cash shop and a $199 lifetime sub offer (PC only). Various PS3 players are rejecting the idea of a sub fee outright and SOE's "more content is coming, we promise" isn't cutting it.

I'll stick by my 'crash and burn' statement and wonder how long it will be for Anderson and / or Cao to announce they are leaving DCUO "to spend more time with my family" (or equivalent).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:08:04 PM by UnSub »

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: December 22, 2010, 04:32:55 AM

Thanks for that, just reaffirms my reasons for not buying it in the first place.  The fact this game has a monthly sub is nothing short of retarded....its far from worth it.  I guess they are in a hurry to be the first poop MMO of 2011
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #487 on: December 22, 2010, 10:09:48 AM

They are fucking INSANE. Jan. 11th is way too soon. I can't even load the goddamn game, and get no help from the forums. And they want to launch?

This is going to be a trainwreck that no one will pay the slightest attention to.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: December 22, 2010, 10:39:25 AM

Seems fitting for a DC game title for some reason.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: December 22, 2010, 05:22:14 PM

Is Green Lantern coming out around then? They may be trying to piggy back on something like that.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now.  
Jump to: