Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:47:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now.  (Read 302031 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: January 12, 2011, 08:50:21 AM

That's way way better then.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: January 12, 2011, 10:00:48 AM

My girlfriend (who is a sucker for both MMO betas and DC Comics in general) borrowed an old FFXI guildmate's beta account a month or so ago. She was level capped in about ten days of playing 2-3 hours a night, skipping a few nights. The villain content adds maybe another four or five days of play on to that.

This makes me wonder if they will change the rate of xp gain at release (a la WAR).  I don't know if they even have enough content to get away with that.  Perhaps with it being SoE, you can just grind bad guys for levels. 

CAMP CHECK!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #527 on: January 12, 2011, 11:22:04 AM

Joker camped, could use another dps.

MMO just sucks the soul out of everything.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: January 12, 2011, 12:47:31 PM

Giantbomb has a livestream of DCUO gameplay going on right now, in case you want to see how the trainwreck looks.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: January 12, 2011, 01:06:38 PM

Giantbomb has a livestream of DCUO gameplay going on right now, in case you want to see how the trainwreck looks.

Doesn't look like a total train wreck, but it doesn't look worth playing either unless you are really in love with DC.  If it was F2P I'd run around Gotham for a few hours.
kondratti
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: January 12, 2011, 03:00:42 PM

There is much hate in this thread... knowing nothing about DCUO, I picked it up and it is quite fun to play.  Way more fun than Rift.

It is different than your standard Diku... and I am enjoying the difference. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: January 12, 2011, 03:05:47 PM

I'll make you a deal.  If you're still feeling this way in 30 days, I'll buy a copy and play it. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: January 12, 2011, 05:28:30 PM

I'll make you a deal.  If you're still feeling this way in 30 days, I'll buy a copy and play it. 

Or if he can even explain how it is "different" that doesn't amount to "It has superheroes" or "You don't *exactly* level up".

It would be awesome though if you could loot some shoulderpads, equip them and suddenly get a "You're a 90s DC Superhero!" achievement. Maybe they could even call it, "You're ready for the Bloodlines Annuals!"
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: January 12, 2011, 05:37:49 PM

I saw someone say that armor drops in the game change the appearance of your character. If true that's just...  swamp poop

I believe that you have the option to allow the equipped items to effect your appearance or not.

Once you equip that armor you then have that armors appearance customization available to you.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #534 on: January 12, 2011, 06:22:36 PM

Or if he can even explain how it is "different" that doesn't amount to "It has superheroes" or "You don't *exactly* level up".

The mouselook and LMB melee, RMB ranged is quite different and you generally need to aim to hit (although you can lock onto a target and use your powers, iirc). If you haven't played superhero MMOs, the travel powers are quite a change.

It is a more dynamic combat system where you gain advantage for moving, dodging and blocking compared to (say) RIFT where hitting and missing are more based on the dice roll.

It's fun for the first few hours / the first character, but starts to bog down when missions are just repeats of 'defeat X of Y in this area' where X goes up 5 / 10 / 15 etc as you level up. You'll work out what is the best combo to take down PvE targets and just repeat that for every combat situation.

DCUO has done well in the first 24 hours, in as so far that they are launching two more PvP servers (one for the PC, one for the PS3). Looks like they've got 14 servers - 7 per platform, split into 4 PvE and (now) 3 PvP rulesets.

kondratti
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: January 13, 2011, 06:31:29 AM

I am just happy to buy a game that isnt a shittier WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: January 13, 2011, 06:42:04 AM

My fear is that DCUO is a shittier COH.  I haven't seen/read anything that convinces me otherwise. 

-  Mark Twain
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: January 13, 2011, 07:27:09 AM

Here's yesterday's GB stream. I missed way too much so I'm gonna watch it again. If I don't I'll be an idiot and buy the game. http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dc-universe-online/17-3674/

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: January 13, 2011, 08:53:03 AM

Here's yesterday's GB stream. I missed way too much so I'm gonna watch it again. If I don't I'll be an idiot and buy the game. http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dc-universe-online/17-3674/

Bah they took the video offline to re-encode it :(

Justin TV live play and answering questions from chat.
kondratti
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: January 13, 2011, 05:29:20 PM

My fear is that DCUO is a shittier COH.  I haven't seen/read anything that convinces me otherwise. 

I last played CoH in around 2005.  Would be pretty hard to be shittier than that.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: January 13, 2011, 05:39:36 PM

I last played CoH in around 2005.  Would be pretty hard to be shittier than that.

What does the year have to do with anything?  CoH was and is a good game. 

-  Mark Twain
kondratti
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:02 PM

What does the year have to do with anything?  CoH was and is a good game. 

I beg to differ, good sir.  It was, in my opinion, a pretty awful game back then.  It may, indeed, have improved by now, though.

But these are all opinions, which is my point, I guess.  Much hate in a thread by many who have not played a game...
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: January 13, 2011, 07:54:23 PM

I'll go ahead and say that in most respects it is a shittier CoH. Not that CoH was shit (I loved that game for almost 4 years before the shiny wore off). DCUO has the potential to be on par with CoH but it seems like it's all icing and very little cake. Not as many costume or character customization choices, not nearly as immersive gameplay as CoH (IMHO), not nearly as fun as CoH. Now it could just be my own personal view of things. I compare CoH to EQ. I much preferred EQ to EQ2. EQ had horrible graphics by comparison but there was something about the gameplay and world that was more compelling for me. EQ2 seemed like a half-assed try at making a better game simply by making it prettier and in some ways more complex. I prefer CoH to CO and so far DCUO. Worse graphics but funner gameplay. I like DCUO's combat though. That part stands out and makes things feel superhero-ish (throwing cars and junk). Everything else is kinda 'meh'. I was amazed that the hero and villain tutorials were exactly the same. Come on, would it have killed them to come up with two scenarios?

As I'm writing this I think I can conclude at least partly why WoW is so successful. It's a game that isn't groundbreaking but it's polished, fun, and most importantly has a very carefully planned, well thought out, and executed world. Back in the day, both EQ and CoH could claim the same. I felt like I was part of those worlds and wanted to be in them as much as possible. Most MMOs today just don't have that draw. They're just too damn generic, always focusing on the mechanics and not the fun. I know, no real revelations here. Just me musing and trying to sound like I know what the hell I'm talking about.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: January 13, 2011, 07:57:28 PM

It will be very interesting, though in my opinion a fairly obvious result, to see if DCUO can remain actively in development for as long as CoH.

Though CoH will remain a sad case of unrealised potential... but then isn't that the long term narrative of MMO's.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #544 on: January 13, 2011, 09:53:28 PM

So I bought this, and I'm glad to say that there doesn't seem to be a choice for boob size.... ACK!
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #545 on: January 13, 2011, 10:25:05 PM

As I'm writing this I think I can conclude at least partly why WoW is so successful. It's a game that isn't groundbreaking but it's polished, fun, and most importantly has a very carefully planned, well thought out, and executed world.

Holy shit, someone write this down, I think he's on to something!!!!!!
 Ohhhhh, I see.

Grimwell
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: January 14, 2011, 03:08:10 AM

As I'm writing this I think I can conclude at least partly why WoW is so successful. It's a game that isn't groundbreaking but it's polished, fun, and most importantly has a very carefully planned, well thought out, and executed world.

Holy shit, someone write this down, I think he's on to something!!!!!!
 Ohhhhh, I see.

Heh, I did say that there was nothing really new there. Just me mentally coming late to the party.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: January 14, 2011, 06:43:24 AM

I'll go ahead and say that in most respects it is a shittier CoH. Not that CoH was shit (I loved that game for almost 4 years before the shiny wore off). DCUO has the potential to be on par with CoH but it seems like it's all icing and very little cake. Not as many costume or character customization choices, not nearly as immersive gameplay as CoH (IMHO), not nearly as fun as CoH. Now it could just be my own personal view of things. I compare CoH to EQ. I much preferred EQ to EQ2. EQ had horrible graphics by comparison but there was something about the gameplay and world that was more compelling for me. EQ2 seemed like a half-assed try at making a better game simply by making it prettier and in some ways more complex. I prefer CoH to CO and so far DCUO. Worse graphics but funner gameplay. I like DCUO's combat though. That part stands out and makes things feel superhero-ish (throwing cars and junk). Everything else is kinda 'meh'. I was amazed that the hero and villain tutorials were exactly the same. Come on, would it have killed them to come up with two scenarios?

As I'm writing this I think I can conclude at least partly why WoW is so successful. It's a game that isn't groundbreaking but it's polished, fun, and most importantly has a very carefully planned, well thought out, and executed world. Back in the day, both EQ and CoH could claim the same. I felt like I was part of those worlds and wanted to be in them as much as possible. Most MMOs today just don't have that draw. They're just too damn generic, always focusing on the mechanics and not the fun. I know, no real revelations here. Just me musing and trying to sound like I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Newer MMOs are games, not worlds: that's one part of what they've drawn from WoW (get the rails on the rollercoaster laid down correctly). Even the limited "world" feeling of WoW they can't match because it takes creating more content than they can afford or understand how to make. There's a few exceptions: LOTRO keeps plugging away at making content, for example. But the more common low road to take now is the Champions/Star Trek Online road: fast development cycle, low costs, massive understaffing of live management, make your profit from box sales to people who love the genre or the intellectual property, not from builiding long-time subs. That approach is never going to lead to anything that feels remotely like a world.
Gunzwei
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: January 14, 2011, 07:26:10 AM

I got a villain to 30 earlier today.

At 30 a good chunk of content unlocks (2 raids, 4 team instances, 4 advanced team instances, and a bunch of daily/solo stuff/gear tiers). Me and two other 30's ran one of the unlocked team instances, Arkham Asylum, and were pretty much blown away at how well done that place was. It was easily one of the best layedout zones I've seen in an MMO in recent memory (3 wings, 3 bosses, and each wing is themed around its boss).  We only managed to get up to Poison Ivy before she proceeded to roll us several times over due to a mechanic we really needed a 4th person to handle.

Team PVE mechanics were a lot tighter in comparison to the Leveling team-content. Mobs will use avoidable AoE, need to be tanked, and cc'd. Definitely a big step up from the 1-29 content. Ivy herself was considerably more involved than any other boss I've seen (multiple phases, lots of adds, lots of environmental abilities).

Lastly leveling in general seems to be replaced with a more gear/costume centric progression with tiered gear. All in all was a pleasant surprise considering I wasn't expecting much.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: January 14, 2011, 07:32:39 AM

A friend of mine bought this on PS3.

His fiance created a bright pink cartoon rendition of herself and has been playing nonstop. Some of her friends are even into it.

They are talking about how bad-ass it is on Facebook.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: January 14, 2011, 07:37:13 AM

My fear is that DCUO is a shittier COH.

This was my impression from beta. Granted I didn't get a character beyond level 10. But there was nothing at all about the game that made me want to continue.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: January 14, 2011, 08:01:36 AM

His fiance created a bright pink cartoon rendition of herself and has been playing nonstop. Some of her friends are even into it.

If the game captures this audience, its a coup of epic proportions.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: January 14, 2011, 08:17:46 AM

If the game captures this audience, its a coup of epic proportions.

Maybe this will be the next big breakthrough and we don't see it because it's not our first dance with an MMO. These people probably have no pre-conceived expectations of what the game should or shouldn't be.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #553 on: January 14, 2011, 08:28:40 AM

I see commercials for this on TV and think, man, I would have put that money into the game.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: January 14, 2011, 08:29:19 AM

I see commercials for this on TV and think, man, I would have put that money into the game.

I think that about WoW too.

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #555 on: January 14, 2011, 10:54:45 AM

anyone here playing this on a PS3?  Im DC-curious.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: January 14, 2011, 02:17:43 PM

Fuck, I can't believe I'm seriously considering buying this game. But I am.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: January 14, 2011, 02:27:38 PM

Fuck, I can't believe I'm seriously considering buying this game. But I am.

I'm starting to think that this game may be fun in brief sessions with a set group. 

Oh wait, that's nearly every MMO. 

(Still, I may give it a try just for a week of diversion)

-  Mark Twain
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: January 14, 2011, 02:30:35 PM

I'm getting the same feeling - if I can limit how much I play per week, I could probably like this game.

I feel fortunate in that I'm already playing too many other things to even consider this.  It will probably be 6 months before I'm bored of everything else, and I will think about playing on a PS3 - which will force me to limit my playtime.  Ideally in 6 months time this game will be a bit more fleshed out.  Wins all around for me!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: January 14, 2011, 02:31:53 PM

I was told that the PS3 and PC servers are separate... which may be the best news that I've heard about the game.

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DCUO- will be out November 2. Can apply for beta on main site now.  
Jump to: