Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:08:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Wolverine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wolverine  (Read 43457 times)
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #140 on: May 06, 2009, 04:04:38 AM

I always thought it funny (as Velorath notes) that people thought there would be a good Wolverine origin movie since Wolverine's origin is one of the most borked thing in comics.
The weapon x origin book was awesome when I was in my 13's.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: May 06, 2009, 11:23:04 AM

Alot of my friends that didn't really read alot of comics, have all liked the movie so far.  They admit it isn't like awesome, but consider it a decent summer action flick.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: May 06, 2009, 11:42:18 AM

They admit it isn't like awesome, but consider it a decent summer action flick.
Which is really all it needs to be.  An action movie that you can forget about worrying too much on and one that makes money for the studio.  Runaway hits that do hundreds of millions of dollars are really more the exception to the rule than anything else - it's what the studios want but usually doesn't get.  Gigli and Pluto Nash-like performances are what you want to avoid really.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #143 on: May 06, 2009, 11:59:48 AM

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: May 06, 2009, 01:09:39 PM

They admit it isn't like awesome, but consider it a decent summer action flick.
Which is really all it needs to be.  An action movie that you can forget about worrying too much on and one that makes money for the studio.  Runaway hits that do hundreds of millions of dollars are really more the exception to the rule than anything else - it's what the studios want but usually doesn't get.  Gigli and Pluto Nash-like performances are what you want to avoid really.

I think you meant critically acclaimed runaway hits.  Anywhere from 15 to 20+ movies do upwards of $100 million in sales (27 did over $100 million last year),  but almost all of them are given the 2 to 2.5 stars (ie, mediocre popcorn fare) while some take a critical drubbing while still selling well (Indy).

Really, last year was completely out of the norm as you had a couple of the big "event" summer movies also garnering pretty glowing critical praise,  Iron Man and Dark Knight in particular.  Both those movies showed up on many reviewers "best of 2008" lists.  Even Hancock, Wanted, Get Smart, etc. all reviewed very well for summer movies.

Essentially,  Wolverine is your standard big budget summer event action movie.  As long as it does that well, who cares?  It's not like the other X-men movies were anything but mediocre popcorn fare.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #145 on: May 08, 2009, 06:48:52 AM

Twentieth Century Fox has begun development on "Deadpool," an "X-Men" spinoff that will be crafted as a star vehicle for Ryan Reynolds, who played the character in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine."

Awesome! I seriously dont understand why this guy isnt making $20 million a movie in Hollywood. He is fucking fantastic. Hilarious. I loved him Blade 3 as well. He is the master of the witty retort, or at least all his characters tend to be and he pulls it off well. Glad to see he will finally get top billing in a movie.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: May 10, 2009, 06:55:07 PM

The only good thing about Blade 3 was that it reminded me of Parker Posey's better movies.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #147 on: May 11, 2009, 11:20:51 AM

This movie was a block of Colby Longhorn.  Pure cheese.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:26:11 AM by dusematic »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #148 on: May 11, 2009, 12:23:45 PM

I always thought it funny (as Velorath notes) that people thought there would be a good Wolverine origin movie since Wolverine's origin is one of the most borked thing in comics.

I kept this in mind as much as possible (since it's true) and it was rather enjoyable.  Less so than Star Trek, which I watched immediately after from the handicapped seats (these are the most awesome seats in the theatre), but I didn't feel I wasted my time.  It still helps if you don't think about things too much.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: May 11, 2009, 02:08:58 PM

Twentieth Century Fox has begun development on "Deadpool," an "X-Men" spinoff that will be crafted as a star vehicle for Ryan Reynolds, who played the character in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine."

Awesome! I seriously dont understand why this guy isnt making $20 million a movie in Hollywood. He is fucking fantastic. Hilarious. I loved him Blade 3 as well. He is the master of the witty retort, or at least all his characters tend to be and he pulls it off well. Glad to see he will finally get top billing in a movie.

Agreed.  I love Ryan Reynolds.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #150 on: May 12, 2009, 12:21:19 PM

He is almost as awesome as Billy Zane.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: May 12, 2009, 02:26:18 PM

He is almost as awesome as Billy Zane.

Not even close.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #152 on: May 13, 2009, 07:52:06 AM

I'd have had Billy Zane play Nero in Star Trek instead of Bana.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #153 on: May 13, 2009, 10:50:35 PM

I'd have had Billy Zane play Nero in Star Trek instead of Bana.

Bana was a bit wasted. Zane would be awesome as a Federation Captain with an ego bigger than Kirk's.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: May 18, 2009, 10:12:56 PM

Wheres that Easter Egg ending the Deadpool spinoff article talks about? I stayed in the cinema until they kicked me out and only saw the Striker thing and Wolverine taking a drink. Anyway - yay!

On to Wolverine. Mediocre movie, nothing to watch twice or write home about, but you were entertained if you ignored the plotholes you could drive a truck through.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #155 on: May 18, 2009, 11:08:53 PM

Wheres that Easter Egg ending the Deadpool spinoff article talks about? I stayed in the cinema until they kicked me out and only saw the Striker thing and Wolverine taking a drink. Anyway - yay!

Some prints have Wolverine drinking, and others have Deadpool.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: May 19, 2009, 12:51:16 AM

Damnit!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #157 on: May 19, 2009, 01:17:04 AM

Really, you didn't miss much.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #158 on: May 21, 2009, 05:43:43 PM

So, I finally saw this last night. Entirely watchable, pretty much entirely forgettable.

Liev Schriber was awesome though.

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: May 22, 2009, 10:03:15 PM

Just watched it after having already seen the leaked version. I wont even get into the plot and character raping that is 90% of the movie. How the fuck does a movie like this end up with such horrid CGI? It looked to be of substantially lower quality than the original x-men. Jean luc looked like some kind of mix between Michael Jackson and a Thai transvestite
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #160 on: May 22, 2009, 11:39:08 PM

when my friend told me they just copy pasta his head over someone else's body i didn't believe him. But i suppose that may be why he looked so awkward.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: May 23, 2009, 01:24:03 AM

Like, Tagliatelle ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Wolverine  
Jump to: