Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Wolverine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wolverine  (Read 43456 times)
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: April 04, 2009, 09:04:05 AM

A vulgar display of power is a vulgar display of power. Magneto could have had all the Evil Mutants arrive by Greyhound bus if he was looking for efficiency.

But it doesn't work when all you're doing is transporting your rag-tag bunch of social misfits and mutant criminals over a body of water, only to have them all be slaughtered by cure-gun toting guards/X-men because you were too damn stupid to use the immense power it took to move the bridge in the first place and just fucking drop it on the pharmaceutical facility.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #106 on: April 04, 2009, 09:18:50 AM

Magneto wanted a war and he wanted martyrs. He let the pawns go first for a reason although his plan didn't work out in the end since he was defeated.

I'm sure we can argue this until "Wolverine" comes out, too.  awesome, for real

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: April 04, 2009, 09:43:41 AM

I hated X-3 primarily for the awesome decision that Wolverine was the natural team leader to take charge of the X-Men. Because nothing screams responsible team leader like 'border-line sociopath incapable of forming normal human relations who's never been in charge of a group of people before'. Really, there is nothing about the Wolverine character that seems to make him well suite for a leadership role besides the fact he's 'cool'.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: April 04, 2009, 09:51:51 AM

Amen!  Cyclops will always be the leader of the XMen to me.  Hell the dude even saved his family AND Superman.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: April 04, 2009, 10:36:40 AM

Amen!  Cyclops will always be the leader of the XMen to me.  Hell the dude even saved his family AND Superman.

Cyclops is not an easy character to like or be a fan of because he's generally written so heartbreakingly poorly. Same can be said for Storm.

Read Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-men run. He made Cyclops great again.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #110 on: April 04, 2009, 11:55:22 PM

I think X3 and Spidey 3 were poorer than the others too.. I don't think it's just a crappy source material problem though. Both of those movies were projects that got hampered by cast/crew changes. X3 lost the Cyclops actor and Brian Singer. So they got a crap journeyman type of director and wrote in a crap Cyclops dismissal, and it suffered for it. Spidey 3 was originally written as a Vulture/Sandman story, with Raimi picking Ben Kingsley to be Vulture. It probably would have been interesting. For whatever reason, it changed, Vulture and Kingsley were dropped, and Raimi caved in to a Venom storyline. Who knows, even that might have been good if it wasn't an afterthought.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #111 on: April 05, 2009, 05:51:35 PM

Cyclops wasn't well done in any of the "X-Men" movies. "X-Men 3" losing James Marsden to "Superman Returns" (where he was again the guy standing between the main character and his girl, but at least got some characterisation) wasn't that big a deal.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #112 on: April 05, 2009, 07:11:32 PM

It's not like I give a shit about Marsden or Cyclops particularly. It's just never good to hack in plot and character changes in the way they did. It's not good to do it with even minor characters, let alone a big one.

Anyhow, losing Bryan Singer was the real loss, so I'm only mentioning cyclops as a sidenote to that. In addition to losing Marsden and Singer though, I believe they also lost Singer's two buddies who did the previous X scripts. They were his resident comic book geeks, I think. All 3 together had a decent enough groove going on, I think. I didn't really like the first X-Men when it came out (it grew on me later), but X2 was an accomplishment. I think they could have carried on with that level of quality if they didn't leave.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:15:41 PM by stray »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #113 on: April 05, 2009, 07:32:38 PM

There certainly were changes, but Singer going to "Superman Returns" certainly wasn't a masterstroke in his career. I'd rather watch "X-3" than "Superman Returns" again (but then I do have an irrational rant for one particular point in the Superman reboot).

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #114 on: April 05, 2009, 09:56:57 PM

Hmm, that's tough. I don't really like either, but I probably would watch X3 more as well. Only because Famke is still cool and gorgeous.. even in her MILFY-emo incarnation.

Another thing missing I forgot to mention though was Alan Cumming. Maybe not crucial, but he was my favorite part of X-2, and just one of my favorite current actors in general. I believe he pulled out simply because makeup was a bitch, and he was a smoker. Haha. Explanation for his disappearance seemed like a hackjob to the storyline too.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #115 on: April 29, 2009, 04:43:18 PM

Apparently this is really really shit.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: April 29, 2009, 09:03:46 PM

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2542553.htm

There is such heightened anticipation for this movie and I don’t think fans of cartoon action will be disappointed. But that’s just about all there is - unbelievable action.

Exploring the complicated background to Logan’s origins is forgotten within minutes, the twists of his relationship with Kayla is dealt with superficially, it’s really the bare bones of character that’s presented here. It’s all about the action.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #117 on: April 30, 2009, 08:51:15 AM

I downloaded the leaked Workprint. If you know the story about Wolverine and anyone else (especially Deadpool) you'll be slightly dissapointed. If you want a movie where he just tears shit up, it does ok on that front. Over all I was left with a very "meh" feeling about it.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: April 30, 2009, 01:09:59 PM

If this is shit, don't blame Hugh Jackman. He's an amazing guy.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #119 on: April 30, 2009, 02:27:14 PM

With an interesting arrangement: Hugh, Deborra-Lee, John and the kids. Loving life, across from the Opera Center.

Edit: Google cache.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:26:19 PM by Tale »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #120 on: April 30, 2009, 05:58:21 PM

He is, but he's also producer on this and made a lot of calls about the movie. If it is bad then he does take responsibility for it. His production company has got a pretty ordinary record (the US version of "Blackpool" that was cancelled after one show, the erotic thriller with Ewan McGregor and Jackman that I can't even remember the name of).

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #121 on: May 01, 2009, 02:48:05 AM

Apparently this is really really shit.

I've seen really really shit movies, and while Wolverine didn't make it past average, it didn't reach anywhere near say, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or Eagle Eye on the shit scale, damning with faint praise though that may be.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: May 01, 2009, 12:22:54 PM

MEH.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: May 01, 2009, 05:07:21 PM

It's a mediocre film that had the chance for being a good movie.  This movie could have been 10x better just with ample time given to Ryan Reynolds, and set up a Deadpool movie.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: May 02, 2009, 03:28:41 AM

I've seen really really shit movies, and while Wolverine didn't make it past average, it didn't reach anywhere near say, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or Eagle Eye on the shit scale, damning with faint praise though that may be.

With hugh jackman and at least a somewhat awareness of wolverines backstory even just focusing on the origins plot. There is no reason what so ever it should not be anything but awesome. And the deadpool ass raping is just the cherry on the top. most people have no fucking clue who he is.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 02, 2009, 12:45:14 PM

Just saw it.  I'm surprised because the special effects were awful.

The rest is meh.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #126 on: May 03, 2009, 04:08:02 PM

I liked it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: May 03, 2009, 04:53:07 PM

Okay i went and saw it. I went with an open mind and was mildly entertained. The side of me that is a serious x-men nerd is outraged. Heartbreak

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #128 on: May 04, 2009, 10:15:40 AM

Okay i went and saw it. I went with an open mind and was mildly entertained. The side of me that is a serious x-men nerd is outraged. Heartbreak

Thats how I felt. They butchered his story.

Also, how is it that 4 movies in and the CGI on his claws was the worst in this one? I mean really? It kind of felt like the movie was sent out to 3 different editing and CGI teams, and then just sort of patched together for release. It felt like some of the movie was really polished and well done, with other bits where done by their interns.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #129 on: May 04, 2009, 10:52:23 AM

I've only seen the promo stuff and the claws looked awful. Very fake and the color and shading was way off from the rest of the frames. In the promo material!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #130 on: May 04, 2009, 11:38:02 AM

Thats how I felt. They butchered his story.

To be fair, the title character has one of the most convoluted and piecemeal backstories in comics.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: May 04, 2009, 01:25:41 PM

I really didn't like it, at most my experience with X-Men I knew was some of the crappy 90's comics, the x-men movies and the Fox after school cartoon series.

The story was horrible and here's the issues I had.

I still cannot believe how many unexcusable plot holes the movie had, it was worse then The Transporter's second truck of slaves and that was pretty f'n bad.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 04, 2009, 01:45:19 PM

To be fair, the title character has one of the most convoluted and piecemeal backstories in comics.

This. I get annoyed when things stray from the way they should be, or canon, and such, but when it comes to Marvel characters (never read much else for comics, so couldn't expand beyond that) I don't understand much of the hate on not respecting the back story and such. Marvel, especially X-men and Wolverine back stories are.. well, convoluted and often atrocious mangling of the potential.

Never mind all the alternate universe/time line crap they engaged in. You could have Cyclops as the love child of Hitler and Stalin and still have it work out in that universe because of all those alternate this and that bullshit.

That said.. it should be hard to screw up Wolverine. He's a cool character, in my view, in part because he does what "most" good super-heroes won't -- he'll kill people and not be a whiny brat about it afterwards. I didn't dislike the movie, but was surprised/disappointed in the wasted potential.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: May 04, 2009, 01:48:31 PM

He also has the advantage of a current series entirely focused on his fucking origins.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #134 on: May 04, 2009, 01:49:17 PM

You could have Cyclops as the love child of Hitler and Stalin and still have it work out in that universe because of all those alternate this and that bullshit.

Given how good Red Son was, I'd read it.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #135 on: May 05, 2009, 01:48:40 AM

This. I get annoyed when things stray from the way they should be, or canon, and such, but when it comes to Marvel characters (never read much else for comics, so couldn't expand beyond that) I don't understand much of the hate on not respecting the back story and such. Marvel, especially X-men and Wolverine back stories are.. well, convoluted and often atrocious mangling of the potential.

In fact if they stuck too closely to Wolverine's backstory as it now stands, he'd have learned that he has mohawked son with the same powers except he only has two claws on each hand.  Wolverine also may or may not part of a race of mutants who are descended from wolves, and was fated to come into conflict with Sabertooth because generation after generation, a blond lupine and a dark haired lupine are always destined to emerge from the pack and will fight until one of them is dead.  Also for a long time apparently, Logan's ability to come back from fatal injuries was not due just to his healing factor, but due to him fighting the Angel of Death in Purgatory, allowing Wolverine to come back to life when he wins.

It's kind of hard to fault the people who did the movie for fucking up Wolverine's backstory, when the folks at Marvel already fucked up his backstory so spectacularly.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:03:56 PM by Velorath »
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #136 on: May 05, 2009, 09:03:34 AM

In four pages there is nothing here that makes me want to see this any time soon. Oh well. I was excited about it.

I have never played WoW.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: May 05, 2009, 12:16:32 PM

There is a tiny chance we get a cool Deadpool movie out of this.

Although if I'm going to be optimistic I should keep it realistic and drop ten grand on lottery tickets.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: May 05, 2009, 01:00:45 PM

I was never into comics and I thought the movie was entertaining.  It wasn't OMG awesome, but it was still decent.

You guys nerd rage too much, but that's what you guys do.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #139 on: May 05, 2009, 08:50:06 PM

I always thought it funny (as Velorath notes) that people thought there would be a good Wolverine origin movie since Wolverine's origin is one of the most borked thing in comics.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Wolverine  
Jump to: