Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:02:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102047 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10535 on: September 15, 2011, 06:00:51 PM

An evil demon that sucked 5 years of my life away!   Heartbreak
You married it?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10536 on: September 15, 2011, 06:01:11 PM

What else do you think we're missing other than a release date?
LFD.  awesome, for real

Already has been said that it will not be in the game but will have a simple /flag system.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10537 on: September 15, 2011, 06:05:13 PM

An evil demon that sucked 5 years of my life away!   Heartbreak
You married it?

Nebu proposed, but DOAC said it wasn't ready to make the kind of commitment. The relationship soured from there.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10538 on: September 15, 2011, 06:18:24 PM

Sooooo.....  

What else do you think we're missing other than a release date?
What wrong choices have they made, from the stance of a poster on these boards (an old hand)? How does it compare to WoW/LOTRO/Rift? How much content is there, really? What is the endgame? Is PvP meaningful? How will it perform on my computer? How's the UI? What's broken? How polished is it, and are some areas more polished than others?

You may think you can answer those questions, but even if you religiously absorbed every leak, you really can't without playing the game and reading the beta forums. You've only got the broad strokes.

Sure, you can't tell many things without actually playing it.  However it's not in open beta yet.

I don't think you're following. What I'm trying to say is that you're making assumptions about SWTOR that may not necessarily be correct, because the game is under NDA. If you read half a page up, Draegan was saying that the NDA didn't matter because he already knew everything about the game. That is not the case.

I never said that the NDA didn't matter, I just said that we have learned a lot of facts since the beginning of the thread.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #10539 on: September 15, 2011, 06:43:00 PM

This thread needs more Vader:

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10540 on: September 15, 2011, 06:58:27 PM

I knoooow you love being snarky, but we know all of this.

Yes, I was just being snarky. You could say the thread jumped the snark some time ago. Release date is Nov 22, according to my excellent source*

Meaningful pvp? I don't know what meaningful means, but huttball looks pretty cool. I won't tempt the narwhal beyond that, though.

*ok, the official forum, based on gamestop infoes
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10541 on: September 15, 2011, 08:04:02 PM

Fuck meaningful PvP.

There, I said it!

There's no such thing as meaningful PvP anyway.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #10542 on: September 15, 2011, 08:12:42 PM

MMO PvP is another way to emphasise the value of gear in that it allows for the game to manipulated in your favor. That's also why it has a very noisy, but I don't think really that large, segment of the player base demanding it.

Looking forward to this game launching in the hopes that it will clear the space for other MMO's to emerge out of the shadow it is casting. An entertaining crash and burn and a round of "what were they thinking" would be nice too.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #10543 on: September 15, 2011, 09:03:57 PM

With as much talk as DAoC gets for having a PvP system that just 'worked', it's a wonder why they don't have as many people playing today as they did at their peak  why so serious?

I would reply to this, but I was interrupted. :(

Over and out.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #10544 on: September 15, 2011, 09:33:42 PM

Whenever this thread ends, it should be like the end credits of Buckaroo Banzai.  Power walk.  Unity.  Jeff Goldblum dressed as a cowboy. 

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10545 on: September 15, 2011, 10:09:04 PM

Why isn't there a Buckaroo Banzai MMO?   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10546 on: September 16, 2011, 12:53:18 AM

Fuck meaningful PvP.

There, I said it!

That is part of why I just roll my eyes at the notion now. Make it too meaningful, and the losers simply stop showing up because fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkk. Make it meaningless but fun, people will still do it.

Fun is the key part, really.

God Save the Horn Players
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #10547 on: September 16, 2011, 03:55:46 AM

Agreed...make it PvP fun.  But above all, don't fucking mess with the PvE to balance the PvP.  Down with balance!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10548 on: September 16, 2011, 04:02:42 AM

Why isn't there a Buckaroo Banzai MMO?   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I would SO fucking play that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10549 on: September 16, 2011, 05:45:21 AM

Fuck meaningful PvP.

There, I said it!

EVE, Daoc and GW are all solid examples of what people mean by meaningful pvp. you just have to recognise it doesn't come without distracting effort from pve and market the game accordingly.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10550 on: September 16, 2011, 06:29:54 AM

Agreed...make it PvP fun.  But above all, don't fucking mess with the PvE to balance the PvP.  Down with balance!
I quoted Ohlen explaining the target types (weak/normal/strong/bbq) and he mentioned players will be considered a type. So as "stun x doesn't affect strong mobs", so it could be that they can also selectively apply effects to players. We'll see if that pans out, but they really should follow through on that, since pve and pvp rules should have a firewall.

Quote kinda got buried when everyone was being a faggot about homosexuality in TOR.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10551 on: September 16, 2011, 06:59:11 AM

I define "meaningful pvp" as pvp whose outcome has an effect on gameplay throughout the entire game.

Do I have it wrong?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10552 on: September 16, 2011, 07:04:14 AM

So, when does this come out?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #10553 on: September 16, 2011, 07:35:01 AM

I define "meaningful pvp" as pvp whose outcome has an effect on gameplay throughout the entire game.

Do I have it wrong?

I think it depends on who you ask. I think there's still a segment out there that thinks "meaningful pvp" means "I can one-shot pk you anywhere in the world, and take all of your possessions. And then teabag your corpse."

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #10554 on: September 16, 2011, 08:07:36 AM

I look back at DAoC PvP rather fondly. It was the one game that actually got my heart pounding as I went out into the frontiers looking for a fight... that I may or may not find.

The thing that got me hooked into DAoC PvP was the community on our server. I can remember the individual names of Albions and Hibernians we fought against 9 years ago, but I can't remember the random I guy I grouped with last in WoW. PvP become "meaningful" because I recognized names, had nemesis and actually felt like I should run wood out to keeps to rebuild doors.

Now, I get mad if I was queued for more than 10 minutes for a BG. Never mind porting and trying to find a fight myself. I'd never stand for the hours we spent running around the frontiers at Skald speed trying hit and run tactics, getting steamrolled by the zerg, or not finding anyone so we'd go hammer on a keep door to try to stir up the hornets nest.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10555 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:40 AM

Now, I get mad if I was queued for more than 10 minutes for a BG. Never mind porting and trying to find a fight myself. I'd never stand for the hours we spent running around the frontiers at Skald speed trying hit and run tactics, getting steamrolled by the zerg, or not finding anyone so we'd go hammer on a keep door to try to stir up the hornets nest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #10556 on: September 16, 2011, 10:07:16 AM

Quote kinda got buried when everyone was being a faggot about homosexuality in TOR.

Awesome. At least I now know what Louis K. would have to say about this.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #10557 on: September 16, 2011, 10:11:40 AM

Fuck meaningful PvP.

There, I said it!

EVE, Daoc and GW are all solid examples of what people mean by meaningful pvp. you just have to recognise it doesn't come without distracting effort from pve and market the game accordingly.

EVE: full corpse loot essentially, destroy and drive them before you style pvp gameplay.
DAOC: relics, holdable structures, realm ranks/RAs.
GW: .. arena style gameplay?

One of these things is not "meaningful pvp" in any way, the only thing they might all have in common is that the pvp is fun to participate in (I'm saying might because lolEVE)

Meaningful pvp is a silly term because meaningful varies from person to person. Anything from ranks/abilities gained via pvp to holdable territory to full corpse looting will be "meaningful" to different people.

GW's pvp is completely and utterly meaningless, it's just amusing. That plus maybe some open world holdable structure gameplay is meaningful to me. Binding any form of actual boost to the winners however usually drives my desire to play down because it's always done in a poor gameplay way where the winners keep winning and the losers just stop playing.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #10558 on: September 16, 2011, 10:13:35 AM

I'm just going to say meaningful PvP is PvP that can affect the game for you even when you are not present.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #10559 on: September 16, 2011, 10:15:21 AM

Affect the game how? Meaning there's a new flag on a keep, or meaning that actual resources of some form change hands?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #10560 on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:53 AM

Affect the game how? Meaning there's a new flag on a keep, or meaning that actual resources of some form change hands?

A keep isn't a resource?  As an example: In WW2O, I can go to sleep, wake up, and we could've lost 3 important towns or something.  Next time I log in, the game is going to be significantly different than when I logged off because of it.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10561 on: September 16, 2011, 10:31:22 AM

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

Q: Since it has been clearly stated that there will not be dual specs for characters in the game, can you explain your philosophy behind the skill trees and how you are taking into account players that want to be able to play PvP and PvE content on the same character? - illumineart

A: Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJc5EPAyesU

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10562 on: September 16, 2011, 10:34:37 AM

work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP

Facepalm

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10563 on: September 16, 2011, 10:37:25 AM

I look back at DAoC PvP rather fondly. It was the one game that actually got my heart pounding as I went out into the frontiers looking for a fight... that I may or may not find.

I liked DAoC for the fact that the relics mattered.  You knew that if a strong opponent got their hands on one or both of your relics that they would make your life a living hell until you got them back.  I also enjoyed the tense feeling that came when you leveled alts in the frontiers or DF.

I want DAoC 2.0 damnit!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10564 on: September 16, 2011, 10:39:18 AM

work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP

Facepalm

Apparently tank ACs will have skills like Guard and Taunt.  Guard will divert half of the damage done to whoever is being guarded to the tank, while Taunt will make all damage done by the taunted be less across the board except for the taunter.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #10565 on: September 16, 2011, 10:44:52 AM

Facepalm

Apparently tank ACs will have skills like Guard and Taunt.  Guard will divert half of the damage done to whoever is being guarded to the tank, while Taunt will make all damage done by the taunted be less across the board except for the taunter.

But... but..  WoW doesn't do that!  How can that be?!  shocked

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10566 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:52 AM

But... but..  WoW doesn't do that!  How can that be?!  shocked

Give it a few months.  If Bioware is anything like Trion, they'll slowly change their unique features to be more WoW-like in just a few months after release.  We can't be too original, you know.

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10567 on: September 16, 2011, 11:14:10 AM

You can't balance pve and pvp skills to make them both useful. To even attempt that goal is folly.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10568 on: September 16, 2011, 11:21:44 AM

You can't balance pve and pvp skills to make them both useful. To even attempt that goal is folly.

IMO, you can if you make the skills behave and actually act differently in the two situations.  Dynamic skills, as it were.  It takes time, for sure, but it's certainly a better option than having a static skill that, if it's overpowered in PvP it gets nerfed to balance it, but winds up underpowered in PvE.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #10569 on: September 16, 2011, 11:22:55 AM

Apparently tank ACs will have skills like Guard and Taunt.  Guard will divert half of the damage done to whoever is being guarded to the tank, while Taunt will make all damage done by the taunted be less across the board except for the taunter.
But... but..  WoW doesn't do that!  How can that be?!  shocked

I don't understand luckton's explanation of "Taunt" but WoW has a few damage shunts, namely Soul Link and Hand of Sacrifice.

The different between Hand of Sacrifice and "Guard" is mostly one of allocation between roles (and philosophy thereof), not mechanics.  

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: