Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:29:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102437 times)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #7280 on: June 19, 2011, 07:21:14 AM

Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse

And onwards to page 300! We can do it before SWOR launches - I have faith in you all.

This place does a good job of hiding its quantity of neck hair, at least until somebody brings up anything related to star wars.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7281 on: June 19, 2011, 10:28:31 AM

She isn't whining you did something wrong or that you should do something else. She just tries to teach you there's consequences to everything you do and they aren't as easy and straightforward as "i did the blue choice, so group hug!"

Horse crap.   The main character of Kotor 2 is an adult and doesn't need guidance you'd give a teenager.   If you were giving advice to a fellow adult you wouldn't let him fuckup then say "Gee you just fucked up here's why".  You'd try and stop him before hand.   She's just a whiner.
So letting people learn from experience is juvenile, but simply telling people what to do (or else) is mature?

An additional point: KOTOR2 is, in part, a deconstruction of the typical (Bioware-style) RPG. It's Planescape to KOTOR's Balder's Gate.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7282 on: June 19, 2011, 10:30:11 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the teenagers (or child) you stop from doing something idiotic, wheras you simply discuss it with the adult. Because the adult is, you know. An adult.

God Save the Horn Players
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7283 on: June 19, 2011, 11:34:20 AM

wheras you simply discuss it with the adult

I think you misunderstood what I meant by "stop".   Stop means saying "Hey that's a bad idea I don't think you should do that".   Also known as discussing.   I'm not sure how you could get any other idea than that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:37:22 AM by Amaron »
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #7284 on: June 19, 2011, 12:46:04 PM

But there's an extra factor to consider, ultimately Kreia is dark side character. Why would she want to stop you from doing stupid things when she can instead watch you do them and then berate you for it? Old ladies have right to have some fun, too why so serious?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7285 on: June 19, 2011, 07:00:57 PM

I think ultimately the problem is you don't actually know what the word whining means. Kreia is lecturing you.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7286 on: June 19, 2011, 07:31:33 PM

I think ultimately the problem is you don't actually know what the word whining means. Kreia is lecturing you.

It must pain you SO MUCH that you can't be a protocol droid.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7287 on: June 19, 2011, 07:39:37 PM

It pains me, because I would love to watch him be one. The RP server people would think he was the best roleplayer around, without him having to RP at all. Heart

That said, Ingmar is right. "Whiner" and "whining" are charges leveled at characters all the time, for seemingly no reason other than "they are not emotionally stunted manchildren and/or not actively kissing my ass."

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7288 on: June 19, 2011, 07:44:30 PM

"they are not emotionally stunted manchildren and/or not actively kissing my ass."

Game developers have trained us well what to expect from NPCs
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7289 on: June 19, 2011, 09:05:24 PM

"Whiner" and "whining" are charges leveled at characters all the time, for seemingly no reason other than "they are not emotionally stunted manchildren and/or not actively kissing my ass."
Love Letters
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #7290 on: June 19, 2011, 09:26:27 PM

Nah, Carth is just shit. And there's barely a development with him as the plot goes on.

'I've been betrayed and fear of being betrayed again' is all his selling point about. Which makes fucking him over so much sweeter...

"I won't let you win... *runs away*"

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Yeah, that's what i thought, bitch.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #7291 on: June 20, 2011, 01:03:34 AM

Damn you, Mission. The Republic and the Jedi might pride themselves on being just and righteous, but under their rule you grew up living in a sewer and eating garbage. Who pulled you out of that shithole? Who whisked you off the planet just before it got bombed into the stone age? Who took time out from his very important quest to dick around in the middle of the fucking desert rescuing your worthless piece of shit brother from sand people? Without me, you never would have learned about your brother's death at their hands, because the garbage dump you lived in would have come down around your ears in a fucking holocaust of orbital bombardment.

And how do you pay me back? You spit in my fucking face with that silly "But the Sith are EVIL!" bullshit. I expected that sort of crap from Jolee and Juhani, and that simpering dipshit Carth, but not from you. You might not be "evil" but I had come to think of you as at least being halfway smart. (You were so damned pragmatic when we slit the throat of that silly blind leader of your old gang on Taris!) I mean I was prepared to tolerate a little bit of lip, but when it became clear that even your emo throw-rug of a wookie wasn't going to back you, it was time to quit sticking up for a regime that never gave a shit about you and throw your chips in with the only people who ever did you any favors.

But no, instead you call me out. Right there in front of my brand new apprentice and the rest of my followers. You force me to kill you, no pun intended. You ignorant little bitch, what made you think I even had the option of backing out at that point? The die had been cast, blood had already been shed. What the hell did you think was going to happen?

But it's all right. I don't really blame you.

I blame Carth.

Maybe you didn't know better, but he should have. In fact he certainly did, given the way ran for the hills once he realized what was happening. I blame him for not buying your life with his own. All that wannabe-hero horseshit he talked, and in the end he ran like a coward and left a teenage girl to face two Sith alone, with little more than a cry of "Run away!" over his shoulder as he fled. It ought to have been HE who stayed behind to die extolling the virtues of the Republic while YOU ran off into the woods.

The new Emperor of the Galaxy will not be kind to Carth, when he finally catches up to him.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #7292 on: June 20, 2011, 05:12:11 AM

I think we played two different games.

Exactly.   You're only looking at it from your point of view.   My character never agreed to be her apprentice.  I was already no longer a padiwan or a teenager.  Thus she was annoying.

When you played BG2, did you complain that you had to play a child of Bhaal?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #7293 on: June 20, 2011, 05:25:06 AM

Part of it might be peoples alignments.  I played through light side KotOR and didn't really mind Carth, he fit pretty well with the whole vibe of the group, it was Canderous who got on my nerves.  Kreia is kind of the opposite, in that she's kind of a dick to light side players ("Oho, you think you're sooo nice giving money to beggars, eh?") and a better fit for the dark side story ("Bitch set me up, time to punch her") than the light side one ("Quick, murder that blind old woman before she kills God").

I know someone's going to chime in with "I played light side and I hated Carth, too!" but I do think he was a much more solid character in the light side story than in the dark side one.  In the light side story, he's a guy who gradually grows to respect and admire you, while in the dark side story his role is to complain every time you set someone on fire.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #7294 on: June 20, 2011, 05:30:17 AM

That said, Ingmar is right. "Whiner" and "whining" are charges leveled at characters all the time, for seemingly no reason other than "they are not emotionally stunted manchildren and/or not actively kissing my ass."

A lot of my friends who had played KOTOR extensively all insisted that Kaidan was a massive fucking whiner who whined all the time about everything.

I had the hardest time understanding this, because he wasn't ever really doing anything that you could call whining. When you talked to him about his history, he largely says 'yea, I mean, shit's shit, but I got over this stuff a long time ago, you know?" Hell, he's got this backstory of having these L2 implants that torture him and give him migraines and shit but you hardly even HEAR about this from him. You find out about it from Dr. Chakwas if you ask about him.

Later on I played KOTOR and I realized, oh, wait, I see. They can't mentally disassociate him from Carth.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7295 on: June 20, 2011, 05:45:37 AM

A lot of my friends who had played KOTOR extensively all insisted that Kaidan was a massive fucking whiner who whined all the time about everything.

I had the hardest time understanding this, because he wasn't ever really doing anything that you could call whining. When you talked to him about his history, he largely says 'yea, I mean, shit's shit, but I got over this stuff a long time ago, you know?" Hell, he's got this backstory of having these L2 implants that torture him and give him migraines and shit but you hardly even HEAR about this from him. You find out about it from Dr. Chakwas if you ask about him.

Later on I played KOTOR and I realized, oh, wait, I see. They can't mentally disassociate him from Carth.

Ohhhhh, I see.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7296 on: June 20, 2011, 08:38:31 AM

Kaiden's inability to talk about anything that didn't happen more than 15 years ago made me associate him more with bao dur than Carth.

Didn't really see as a whiner, just an uninteresting waste of time.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7297 on: June 20, 2011, 08:46:11 AM

Kaiden was just bland.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7298 on: June 20, 2011, 09:40:47 AM

Kaiden was so bland I had to think for a moment to realize you all had switched to ME.  I couldn't even remember the fuckers name and I did a play-thorugh not more than 6 months ago.

Some companions won't tweak your interest, some will.  I thought the old Jedi dude in KOTOR was boring and worthless.. I never talked to him and only dragged him along because Jedi were so damn overpowered.  Mandalor wasn't exactly an inspiration, either, I much preferred the fixer-guy with the cybernetic appendage.. but he sucked in combat.

Mission. I don't know why anyone gave a fuck about her one way or another.  Even making her wookiee buddy choke her was more for the dark side points and the culetlty to the wookiee than any real need or want to on her part.   SHE was whiny, annoying and far too trusting.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7299 on: June 20, 2011, 09:43:25 AM

I agree about Mission. That dark side twist always made me feel like shit about Big Z, not the obnoxious Twilek.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7300 on: June 20, 2011, 10:26:50 AM

I really had no problem with Mission. Probably I was being over influenced by the fact that she was interesting I'm combat (backstab mechanic mostly) because I can't see any rational reason not to hate her.

Kotor1  could carry pretty much any character. Even Carth never bothered me that much.

Also did Merusk just give props to Bao Dur? If so remind me never to pay any attention to your bizarre taste in boring ass writing ever again. Jesus Christ.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7301 on: June 20, 2011, 11:11:07 AM

Not only that he gave props to Bao-Dur while dissing Jolee, who was awesome. (Not that they're in the same game.)

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7302 on: June 20, 2011, 11:11:51 AM

Bao-Dur was one of the companions I liked quite a bit, too  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7303 on: June 20, 2011, 11:13:02 AM

I liked Mandalore and HK.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7304 on: June 20, 2011, 11:28:32 AM

Just watched Stargate SG-1 season 3 ep Dead Man Switch and the Bounty Hunter made me think of Canderous.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7305 on: June 20, 2011, 01:29:17 PM

To be fair to your friends, the dude who voiced them both did not try even a teeny tiny bit to have Kaiden sound even the slightest bit different from Carth. Shit, I refer to Kaiden as Carth all the time because of it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

But yeah, Kaiden was one of the ones I was thinking of being accused of being a whiner when he barely even complains about anything. Fordel was going on and on about how Kaiden whines about his headaches while I was playing through ME1 the first time, so I kept expecting it to come up. The person who told me he had them at all was Dr. Chakwas, and there was a single elevator banter between Kaiden and ... Boring Blue Girl whose name just fled my memory. And he was all "Meh, it's fine, I'm used to them." That's it. He never mentioned them to me directly at all!

Also anyone who doesn't see Jolee as the awesome crabby old man sitting on a porch that he is makes me sad. I fucking loved Jolee.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7306 on: June 20, 2011, 02:58:58 PM

Here's some schadenfreude for ya. Feast upon my tears, and be satiated.
Psych!

I just got in. Wooooo.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7307 on: June 20, 2011, 03:08:55 PM

I probably wasn't going to want to spoiler myself anyway, but I've never been able to get their PC specs scan thing to work on my home machine.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7308 on: June 20, 2011, 03:30:13 PM

They should let me in to stop me making wise-cracks about the game.  It's their only hope.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7309 on: June 20, 2011, 03:33:27 PM

I probably wasn't going to want to spoiler myself anyway, but I've never been able to get their PC specs scan thing to work on my home machine.

That beta is sour!

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7310 on: June 20, 2011, 03:57:14 PM

Here's some schadenfreude for ya. Feast upon my tears, and be satiated.
Psych!

I just got in. Wooooo.

Aren't you not supposed to mention that you got in? You know NDA and all?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7311 on: June 20, 2011, 04:01:02 PM

You're allowed to say you're in the beta, you just can't talk about anything else.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7312 on: June 20, 2011, 04:03:21 PM

Oh noes F13 dislikes something not dark, gritty and written for a 13 year old's "i'mma be a man someday" mentality. Stop the presses.

Bao-Dur was one of the companions I liked quite a bit, too  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

He had an interesting story and more depth than "rawr, don't do that" or "rawr, kick that puppy" so I'm not surprised.  

Jolee was a caricature of a grumpy old black man and didn't do it with even 1/3 of the style or cantankerousness Red Foxx had.  He was a pale shadow of what they were trying to achieve and irritating because of it.  It came off as George Jefferson and Cliff Huxtible's love child.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7313 on: June 20, 2011, 05:51:48 PM

Hahaha, the size of this install. You only wish it was 40GB. This is going to blow your fucking mind.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7314 on: June 20, 2011, 06:09:22 PM

Hahaha, the size of this install. You only wish it was 40GB. This is going to blow your fucking mind.

Bah.  Bah, I say. 

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: