Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102491 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7245 on: June 17, 2011, 09:02:48 PM

There just doesn't seem much point in including the option unless there's something that we're missing in the discussion here.  Why not just add an option to ask the companion to return?  There'd be more of a case for the feature if you couldn't keep all your companions or something.  That would still be potentially very problematic (as it would essentially be like having no respecs), but there would at least be some gameplay value added.  The option to just kind of eliminate flexibility with no gain is sort of pointless.
Story? You're thinking like an mmo powergamer, not a roleplayer. Not every path should be an optimal one.

Will the powergamers min/max it anyway? Sure. But for the rest of us, it allows some interesting choices. Do I put up with that annoying companion to get the benefit of their assistance or do I speak my mind and risk losing their help? My bet would be there is a lot of flexibility in the companion stories and some cross over in roles, so a Dark Jedi would lose the most goody-good of their companions, but be able to corrupt (and maybe even enhance) one with darker tendencies. That kind of thing.

Sure the fuck beats summoning a pet, either way.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #7246 on: June 17, 2011, 09:09:50 PM

Also something to keep on mind, the option to send away and/or kill a number of available companions is par for the course for BioWare RPGs. They pretty much build the encounters with this in mind and you can likely expect similar approach used here. Although this level of leeway may come as shock to the MMO crowd used to min-maxing for literally 0.5% advantage.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7247 on: June 18, 2011, 01:27:51 AM

Will the powergamers min/max it anyway? Sure.

I'm a serious min/maxer but if I get saddled with some Kreia bitch I'll lop her head off right away.   Some characters are so annoying they need to die immediately.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7248 on: June 18, 2011, 03:20:59 AM

Kreia was awesome. She wanted to kill The Force so that all sentients were free to make their own decisions. Also she called out how stupid the generic good/bad choices in typical RPGs are: "You gave that beggar with a sob story 100 credits. Now watch him get murdered by a thug for the cash. Nice job breaking it, hero".

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #7249 on: June 18, 2011, 03:26:24 AM

This page has been pure Hilarity.

To reiterate what was said earlier:

Players: "We want change, we want something different! We want choices that matter!"
*something different given*
Players: "WTF Why is this different. Why did you change this. Why did this fuck me?!"

awesome, for real Facepalm

it really emphasizes that the reason we don't yet have the changes that we clamor for is that the move from theory to practice creates a lot of "see, this is why you can't have nice things"

MMO's kind of enforce that. THE MASSES etc

also, re: new nar shaddaa: i like big hutts and I can not lie
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7250 on: June 18, 2011, 05:16:47 AM

The thing I'm looking forward to is people complaining endlessly about the RP stuff when they've run a dungeon before, or when they're playing a new character if the RP shit is one-time only per character. Also bagging on new players if they take too long making their decision. Even if there's a timer, using it up will drive the "srs bzns" people insane.

"Why the fuck did you take so long deciding you faggot, it doesn't matter" etc etc

There is an easy solution - never ever play with random people. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #7251 on: June 18, 2011, 06:02:05 AM

The thing I'm looking forward to is people complaining endlessly about the RP stuff when they've run a dungeon before, or when they're playing a new character if the RP shit is one-time only per character. Also bagging on new players if they take too long making their decision. Even if there's a timer, using it up will drive the "srs bzns" people insane.

"Why the fuck did you take so long deciding you faggot, it doesn't matter" etc etc

This happened a lot in FFXI back in the day... Cut scenes would autorun on entering certain places and you'd have to click through the dialog or it would hang. Granted, there was only one line to take in those so it was a mash-thru, but if you were new and interested in the story, it could take a bit of time over say someone who already banged thru it and zoned in unabated. Luckily, the masses weren't overly douchebags about waiting - I think that's mainly because FFXI beat everyone into submission in that dept.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7252 on: June 18, 2011, 09:12:20 AM

Then you ought not be playing online games. Gone are the days of grouping with friends every time you do a dungeon/log in.

Also as to making companions leave? As said before, it's all well and dandy in a game where you can quicksave at every turn but a persistant world? Even if I don't mind it myself it'll be a CS nightmare.  Just imagine, gearing out all your companions and then through drunken dickery on your or someone elses part you loose one or two.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7253 on: June 18, 2011, 09:22:28 AM

How is it Bioware's responsibility to keep you sober and keep people off your account?  I can write boilerplate response right now for them, I won't even charge.

I'm sure they'll have some limp dicked method for backing out of your terrible decisions.  Plus, I imagine there's a healer (which is probably all you need for the solo/small group stuff) that you cannot piss off or kill. 

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7254 on: June 18, 2011, 09:47:42 AM

Then you ought not be playing online games. Gone are the days of grouping with friends every time you do a dungeon/log in.

I was probably overstating it really, but let me put it this way, my enjoyment of WoW skyrocketed after I stopped putting up with randoms.  Bullshit happening, leave the group, annoying guy chatting in /party, leave the group, group just sucks, leave the group.   I just don't care enough to put up with it anymore.  Its really especially relevant for these kinds of MMOs because your enjoyment of that content REALLY depends on your group, and I found that I was way more stress free when instead of trying to plow through in non optimal situations, just quitting and playing something else or playing alone was far more enjoyable.

Also, I simply don't attempt anything resembling hard content without a tank and healer that I know (I am usually one of those two).  Heroics ONLY with that requirement met in WoW, for example.  Leveling or doing normals, I'll random because the content is trivial, but I'm not trusting randoms when wipes are possible.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7255 on: June 18, 2011, 10:17:41 AM

It's not their responsibility but it will be their problem. 

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7256 on: June 18, 2011, 10:30:58 AM

I really doubt that you only can have one particular companion with one particular absolutely necessary skill.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that in this case healing is kit you equip your companion with.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #7257 on: June 18, 2011, 11:10:22 AM

This is bullshit.  Saying soloers and people who only play with others they know in MMOs "ought not be playing online games" is just stupid.  Pick any subset of playstyle preferences and say the same thing, and it's still bullshit.  Get over yourself and your preferred way of playing, be it solo, duo, PUG, premade, pvp, carebear or whatever, and deal with the fact that the vast majority of games are going to (have to) support all of those playstyles.  The only playstyles that might possibly be reasonably restricted by the developers are those that actively drive away other customers.  And the soloers and friends-only folks are at the far other extreme of that spectrum.  And TOR is most definitely NOT going to be implementing anything that makes it any kind of hardcore niche (unless it turns out "story" makes them niche  why so serious?).  Encourage community, yes.  Drive off casual non-social types, not if they want to make money.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7258 on: June 18, 2011, 12:06:34 PM

Kreia was awesome. She wanted to kill The Force so that all sentients were free to make their own decisions.

That's nice.  Maybe if she had spent less time whining like a child and more time killing the force it might of worked.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7259 on: June 18, 2011, 12:12:51 PM

Kreia was awesome. She wanted to kill The Force so that all sentients were free to make their own decisions.

That's nice.  Maybe if she had spent less time whining like a child and more time killing the force it might of worked.

Whining? Did you get Kreia confused with Carth or something?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7260 on: June 18, 2011, 12:34:15 PM

What else do you call it when she never does anything?  She doesn't go back and try to fix what she thinks you did wrong.  She just sits there constantly whining that you should of done something else.  Nevermind that the game doesn't give you any options that she'd find acceptable.   Carth is indeed a super whiner but he is in fact not as bad as Kreia because he has a line you can cross and he'll actually try to back up his words.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #7261 on: June 18, 2011, 12:55:35 PM

Isn't Kreia the manipulator? She tries to get others to do her dirty work.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7262 on: June 18, 2011, 01:00:27 PM

I honestly have no idea who Kreia was as all the party characters in that game, most espeicially Bao Dur, had rendered me comatose within half an hour of installation.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7263 on: June 18, 2011, 01:18:18 PM

Bao Dur was the only character I thought was incredibly boring in KotOR2. But he had a hot voice, so at least he had that going for him.

Calling Kreia a whiner is just ... I don't get it. I guess it's more evidence that unless a character is sucking your metaphorical cock 24/7, thilled to death with all you are doing and all you will do, they are "whining."

God Save the Horn Players
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7264 on: June 18, 2011, 02:07:08 PM

What else do you call it when she never does anything?  She doesn't go back and try to fix what she thinks you did wrong.  She just sits there constantly whining that you should of done something else.
She isn't whining you did something wrong or that you should do something else. She just tries to teach you there's consequences to everything you do and they aren't as easy and straightforward as "i did the blue choice, so group hug!"

Well, that and manipulating you into doing her bidding, but that's another story.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7265 on: June 18, 2011, 03:34:31 PM

I just looked Kriea up and am reminded she was the one bearable party member in Kotor2, if only because hating the entire crew and being driven to want to destroy the galaxy or whatever was an entirely reasonable reaction to being stuck with that mob for an extended period.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7266 on: June 18, 2011, 04:11:36 PM

What else do you call it when she never does anything? 

That time she nuked all the Jedi masters in the enclave as they were about to cut you off from the force doesn't count?

I loved KOTOR 2's party members. The writing was that game's biggest strength.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7267 on: June 18, 2011, 06:33:14 PM

She isn't whining you did something wrong or that you should do something else. She just tries to teach you there's consequences to everything you do and they aren't as easy and straightforward as "i did the blue choice, so group hug!"

Horse crap.   The main character of Kotor 2 is an adult and doesn't need guidance you'd give a teenager.   If you were giving advice to a fellow adult you wouldn't let him fuckup then say "Gee you just fucked up here's why".  You'd try and stop him before hand.   She's just a whiner.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7268 on: June 18, 2011, 06:48:13 PM

Horse crap.   The main character of Kotor 2 is an adult and doesn't need guidance you'd give a teenager.   If you were giving advice to a fellow adult you wouldn't let him fuckup then say "Gee you just fucked up here's why".  You'd try and stop him before hand.   She's just a whiner.

Comparing Star Wars master/apprentice methodology to the real world?

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7269 on: June 18, 2011, 07:37:47 PM

Comparing Star Wars master/apprentice methodology to the real world?

It's not a master/apprentice situation.   I don't remember ever saying "ok tutor me in the force".
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7270 on: June 18, 2011, 07:55:39 PM

I think we played two different games.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7271 on: June 18, 2011, 08:18:41 PM

I think we played two different games.

Exactly.   You're only looking at it from your point of view.   My character never agreed to be her apprentice.  I was already no longer a padiwan or a teenager.  Thus she was annoying.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7272 on: June 18, 2011, 08:29:24 PM

Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse

-Rasix
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7273 on: June 18, 2011, 08:40:51 PM

Horse crap.   The main character of Kotor 2 is an adult and doesn't need guidance you'd give a teenager. If you were giving advice to a fellow adult you wouldn't let him fuckup then say "Gee you just fucked up here's why".  You'd try and stop him before hand.   She's just a whiner.
The stopping beforehand is what you're expected to do with the kids, i believe. Not adults, whom you generally trust to either know better or to understand what they're doing. Until they show that they don't, then you can tell them they fucked up. They still should clean up their own shit though, rather than expect an old woman do it for them.

edit: as far as tutoring goes, i believe you actually do request her to guide you or something gets arranged very much to that effect, because your character initially is cut off from the Force and can't use it at all. But it's been a while i played it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 08:43:20 PM by tmp »
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7274 on: June 18, 2011, 08:42:15 PM

This thread is really starting to deliver again.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7275 on: June 18, 2011, 09:21:08 PM

The stopping beforehand is what you're expected to do with the kids, i believe.
Take everything out of context please.  Suggesting to your leader (the Exile) that a beggar might get killed over the $5 dollars you're about to give him is far more acceptable than waiting and mentioning it afterwards.   Of course saying it at all is retarded but there you go.  I'm going to stop beating the dead horse now.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7276 on: June 18, 2011, 10:35:53 PM

At least she wasn't a mon calamari. That wouldn't have made sense in the context of the game and been really jarring.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #7277 on: June 19, 2011, 01:30:23 AM

What else do you call it when she never does anything?  She doesn't go back and try to fix what she thinks you did wrong.  She just sits there constantly whining that you should of done something else.  Nevermind that the game doesn't give you any options that she'd find acceptable.   Carth is indeed a super whiner but he is in fact not as bad as Kreia because he has a line you can cross and he'll actually try to back up his words.

Right.

he'll actually try to back up his words.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:42:30 AM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7278 on: June 19, 2011, 06:35:31 AM

You're images aren't working because you used the https in the links.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #7279 on: June 19, 2011, 07:00:06 AM

Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse Beating a Dead Horse

And onwards to page 300! We can do it before SWOR launches - I have faith in you all.

Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: