Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102039 times)
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #6965 on: June 12, 2011, 03:05:21 PM

See: MxO's first combat system.

Page 200! awesome, for real

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #6966 on: June 12, 2011, 03:40:21 PM

That's just trading one form of immersion breaking for another, and would look absolutely terrible when you're fighting a bunch of guys with blasters.
How often do 3+ people fire their guns at exactly the same time? Other than when working as part of execution squad, anyway.

Not sure why having one guy fire a second after another so the results could be animated properly would be such an immersion breaking deal or look terrible. It happens often enough as it is, when "fire at will" is in place.

(and if that has a side-effect of reducing impact of 5v1 gang bang approach in PvP then that's more of a plus in my book than a disadvantage...)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #6967 on: June 12, 2011, 04:23:59 PM

Tho that still doesn't explain why clubs and stone spears took out an entire legion of the Empire's best troops.  Ohhhhh, I see.

now hold on there were also some pretty ingenious logs used there, to be fair to the geurilla prowess of the cute and cuddly early indicators of lucas' cinematic dementia
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #6968 on: June 12, 2011, 04:39:43 PM

They also start to take some good beating after the initial surprise factor wears out. That part is just unmercifully short.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #6969 on: June 12, 2011, 04:53:44 PM

You don't even have to have every attack proc a dodge animation.  The logical course is to check what animation is currently playing, and if it cannot be interrupted or cut short to insert a dodge/parry animation without making the result look spastic then simply set the destination of the upcoming bolt/blade attack so that it is visually a very near miss.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6970 on: June 12, 2011, 04:59:23 PM

Page 200!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Where's our subforum unlock? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #6971 on: June 12, 2011, 05:11:21 PM

Global cooldowns are something I've never seen the attraction or value of. Attacks take some amount of time, finish one, you get to choose the next.

I've always assumed that GCD's served a few purposes:

1) they are a way to equalize latency differences

2) They eliminate the ability of some classes to have ridiculous spike damage (hit all instas at the same time)

3) They force more strategic use of abilities.
Without GCD's, every combat ability has a cast time. When every ability has a cast time, everyone at f13 complains that the combat feels floaty/underwater and isn't as responsive as WoW's.

I really don't know what you could replace them with that would work better. GCD's are just a way to stick the activation time onto the end of an ability rather than the beginning, which makes melee feel snappier and also sidesteps pesky issues like "what if my target moves away (or behind me) during my melee ability cast?" People don't like having delays in their attack...
Not sure why having one guy fire a second after another so the results could be animated properly would be such an immersion breaking deal or look terrible.
Ohai.

I also can't fathom the concern for whether your psionic space laser-sword monk does sweet flippy attacks all the time, or only some of the time, and doges bullets like a total ninja, or only half a ninja. But then, I can't fathom most of the concern for this game.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6972 on: June 12, 2011, 05:21:04 PM

Without GCD's, every combat ability has a cast time. When every ability has a cast time, everyone at f13 complains that the combat feels floaty/underwater and isn't as responsive as WoW's.

People probably want stupid shit like frame canceling.   Of course if we had frame canceling everyone would just cheat.   When you get right down to it there really are technical reasons why the system hasn't changed much.   Unless some law comes out where internet nut punchers are mandatory for all internet related activities.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6973 on: June 12, 2011, 05:22:18 PM

That's just trading one form of immersion breaking for another, and would look absolutely terrible when you're fighting a bunch of guys with blasters.
How often do 3+ people fire their guns at exactly the same time? Other than when working as part of execution squad, anyway.

Not sure why having one guy fire a second after another so the results could be animated properly would be such an immersion breaking deal or look terrible. It happens often enough as it is, when "fire at will" is in place.

(and if that has a side-effect of reducing impact of 5v1 gang bang approach in PvP then that's more of a plus in my book than a disadvantage...)

Take a look at Assassin's Creed combat.  The way it works is that you've got a group of enemies, and only one at a time is the primary attacker.  The others hang back and do nothing.  The pacing of the combat is very slow compared to something like Star Wars, because it's heavily based on counter attacking and you need to give the player a window of opportunity to respond (would probably have to be an even bigger window in an MMO to account for lag).  In the case of three enemies with blasters, you'd have one take a shot, and then the player would react by dodging or blocking the shot and then reacting (or getting hit), all the while the other two guys are doing nothing.   I like the AC games and all, but anyone who thinks that the combat there looks any less ridiculous than the average MMO is crazy.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #6974 on: June 12, 2011, 06:40:09 PM

As some already mentioned, autoattack is simply the old style of MMO combat, before several layers of recent innovation. It originates from the EQ days when latency was a major consideration and melee only occasionally hit buttons. Everquest1 warriors had two buttons upon release, for example; kick and taunt.

WoW released late 2004, and you didn't really have to worry much about supporting very high latency connections. Everybody had DSL or cable. Upon its release several melee classes were constrained by resources and expected to hit buttons in rapid succession, pooling those resources for a finishing move. Several were constrained by cooldowns, but those cooldowns tended to be fairly short. Melee had actual gameplay in 10s "rotations".

More recently in WoW, the developers modified melee mechanics so they worked on priorities rather than rotations, provided every spec with a resource (some more effectively than others, admittedly) and eliminated the majority of "dead" periods. Melee now hits buttons pretty much every global cooldown. You can't /afk to victory.

Question is, if you're already pressing a button every 1.0 to 1.5s, why do you need autoattack in the first place? Autoattack can be relegated to the lowest priority ability; whichever one gives the least bang for the buck. Makes perfect sense to me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:42:02 PM by sam, an eggplant »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #6975 on: June 12, 2011, 07:09:59 PM

Take a look at Assassin's Creed combat.  The way it works is that you've got a group of enemies, and only one at a time is the primary attacker.  The others hang back and do nothing.
True, but then a page back or so i was suggesting not copying the combat from AC directly, but just the animation component -- that is, the idea that the fight is broken on the animation level into separate 1v1 bits, and these are played in sequence. Meaning you can have multiple people target the same person and hit their skill buttons, and these skills can all play one by one as the target animates rection to them. On the functional level this is no different from how these games already do their stuff, the only difference is in the game engine arranging the incoming attacks into a sequence (something it already needs to do under the hood anyway)

edit: when it comes specifically to figthing enemies with blasters the complaint feels especially hollow, as you can pretty much have single dodge/block take care of all of them at once. In fact, iirc it's how the single player KotOR games did it -- they had animation of the player waving the saber in a single flourish and that'd reflect all shots incoming at the given moment.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:17:08 PM by tmp »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6976 on: June 12, 2011, 07:38:42 PM

that is, the idea that the fight is broken on the animation level into separate 1v1 bits, and these are played in sequence

Aren't we then sitting around while it plays X different animations before we get to do our next ability then? That would never fly with people in general.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #6977 on: June 12, 2011, 07:54:42 PM

The simpler argument is how the fuck is your server maintaining synchronicity.

Everybody had DSL or cable.

You are wrong.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #6978 on: June 12, 2011, 08:07:35 PM

Aren't we then sitting around while it plays X different animations before we get to do our next ability then? That would never fly with people in general.
Depends how often you get to do your next ability, i'd imagine. Or in other words, how many people have to attack the same target before you actually have to wait any longer than you have to wait anyway when attacking the same targets all on your own?

(to elaborate, i don't expect the game to do something like require the player to mash button for every single shot and/or saber swing their character takes. So in situation when it's three characters attacking rather than one, could easily see the regular animation of 2-3 swings be replaced with 3 separate sequences of single swing/parry each)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:10:54 PM by tmp »
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #6979 on: June 12, 2011, 09:06:57 PM

You are wrong.
Thanks for the useful contribution, Professor. "Everybody" indeed did not have DSL in 2004. Your comment will be filed in the proper place.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #6980 on: June 12, 2011, 10:40:31 PM

CO was dreadful before they finally put auto-attack in it. If I'm focused on something else or waiting to trigger a combo I don't want to be tapping "1" every .5 seconds and taking a latency penalty on each press. Auto-attack as a representation of your characters baseline damage seems fine to me and makes long MMO sessions more tolerable.

Is this some sort of console thing where if a couple of seconds pass without pressing the "hit it" key people get bored?

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6981 on: June 13, 2011, 01:03:47 AM

I'd rather have auto-attack than the Rift 'spam this single button when you're not doing anything else' model. A button press should have a meaningful result beyond 'generic swing', I think.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6982 on: June 13, 2011, 01:58:41 AM

Yeah, filler attacks suck. Same reason I can't play a hunter in WOW (that, and a 1sec global cooldown sucks with my 600+ ping), all that spamming of steady/cobra shot is a huge bother.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #6983 on: June 13, 2011, 02:09:09 AM

All this while the dessicated husk of FFXIV goes through a desperate, pathetic, song-and-dance routine to get autoattack in. Of course, it's not directly comparable because a good enough combat system doesn't really need autoattack, where XIV's combat system is such a dire piece of shit that autoattack is needed just even to make it slightly less painful to deal with.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6984 on: June 13, 2011, 04:28:44 AM

God damn, the last three pages suck.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6985 on: June 13, 2011, 04:49:14 AM

This would be good enough for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_A95Vptvg
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #6986 on: June 13, 2011, 05:55:55 AM

Thanks for the useful contribution, Professor.

You're welcome.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6987 on: June 13, 2011, 06:24:38 AM

God damn, the last three pages suck.

You sure we don't need another 2 pages of neckbeards going back and forth about GCDs and Autoattacks?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6988 on: June 13, 2011, 06:30:15 AM

Oh, I'm sure we can segue into 4 or 5 pages of the importance/lack of importance of day/night cycles in an MMO (SWTOR will have set time of day lighting per planet).

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6989 on: June 13, 2011, 06:38:51 AM

Oh, I'm sure we can segue into 4 or 5 pages of the importance/lack of importance of day/night cycles in an MMO (SWTOR will have set time of day lighting per planet).

SWOR will not have dynamic weather systems. Discuss.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6990 on: June 13, 2011, 06:41:43 AM

I think we should have neckbeard discussions of Taunting  why so serious?.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6991 on: June 13, 2011, 06:56:00 AM

SWOR will not have dynamic weather systems. Discuss.

This is an outrage, page 45 of the Star Wars: Worlds of the Republic Compendium clearly states that Alderaan has a yearly rainfall of  150cm, and that the majority of thing occurs during the planets wet season.  WHY IS BIOWARE RUINING STAR WARS
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6992 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:50 AM

Ok that wins page 200.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6993 on: June 13, 2011, 09:02:42 AM

That guild page isn't exactly full of win. Once I sat through five minutes of loading to actually pull up the roster, I tried to find a way to update my profile - no such luck. Apparently I am to be permanently undecided on which class I'm starting with.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6994 on: June 13, 2011, 09:11:39 AM

I signed up for tanking duty on the F13 guild. RAWR WARRIOR

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6995 on: June 13, 2011, 09:13:39 AM

I'm impressed people have chosen a class already at all.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #6996 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:14 AM

A guy in my old SWG guild has a 20 page character background document for his Imperial Agent. He wrote it a year ago.  ACK!

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6997 on: June 13, 2011, 09:34:16 AM

This would be good enough for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_A95Vptvg

She was a fucking bitch.

I seem to remember the trick being to use the platforms and force her to jump up to you. I have the high ground etc.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6998 on: June 13, 2011, 09:43:50 AM

That guild page isn't exactly full of win. Once I sat through five minutes of loading to actually pull up the roster, I tried to find a way to update my profile - no such luck. Apparently I am to be permanently undecided on which class I'm starting with.
It's under "guild application" in My Account.
I saved proof-of-purchases to mail order a Boba Fett action figure when I was a kid. Also, ootini!

Guild cleanup note: pending apps from 4 people I don't recognize. Please sound off if it's you:

steak
Kagemushya
JohnOC
Meccan
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:47:16 AM by Sky »
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #6999 on: June 13, 2011, 09:52:10 AM

Well I know...

... what side I'm going (because of my guild/friends): Sith Empire.  4 classes left.
... what role(s) I'd like to perform: Healing and Ranged Damage.  2 classes left.
... that I'd rather not be a Force user.  Bounty Hunter.

Honorable mentions to Agent/Inquisitor because a) they're healers and b) I have a great love of spy fiction.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: