Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102192 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6545 on: June 05, 2011, 06:34:14 AM

The space combat looked better than i expected.  That could definitely be the "hook" for this game that sets it apart.

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6546 on: June 05, 2011, 06:38:52 AM

Everything in it looks like they took WoW and jampacked a SWTOR personal questing experience into it. It's really nothing to be discouraged by.
That's exactly why I'm discouraged.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6547 on: June 05, 2011, 06:51:15 AM

From early on, the only thing I've been concerned about is making it too much for the WoW crowd. We'll see.

They promise support for the ultra-casual and the ultra-hardcore, but we've seen those claims in the past and we know what that means. Cool stuff for the hardcore and crap for casuals. Hey, the casuals don't need good gear and besides, they don't earn it.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6548 on: June 05, 2011, 07:29:23 AM

Hey, the casuals don't need good gear and besides, they don't earn it.

Yea this is truly my only concern.   WoW can talk about "skill" all they want but raiding with a raid guild isn't unappealing because it requires skill.  If SWTOR copies that nonsense I know I'll eventually become tired of the game no matter what.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6549 on: June 05, 2011, 07:39:02 AM

We get to find out about the end-game this week

My Force sense tells me: raids, tiered equipment and special stuff you can only craft at max lvl.

It's a risky prediction, but I'm willing to stand by it.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6550 on: June 05, 2011, 08:03:25 AM

We get to find out about the end-game this week

My Force sense tells me: raids, tiered equipment and special stuff you can only craft at max lvl.

It's a risky prediction, but I'm willing to stand by it.

Gasp.  I don't know if Bioware has what it takes to go in this genre redefining direction.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6551 on: June 05, 2011, 09:45:10 AM

Honest question, is there anyone working as a high level designer on an MMO that did not come from the "endgame raiding = pinnacle" mold in either the way the games they have worked on before were designed or, more importantly, how they played EQ/WoW etc?

My guess is that there are few if any who go into the MMO designing business that did not come from said mold, and seeing as they were at least somewhat comfortable in that mold, what makes anyone believe they would not follow that vein in designing a new game?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6552 on: June 05, 2011, 09:48:20 AM

The ones I know of that did worked on SWG and then quit the industry.

So yeah, no other direction forthcoming.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6553 on: June 05, 2011, 10:48:16 AM

What games haven't worked in that mold? Shadowbane, Daoc, SWG, UO, Warhammer are the only ones i can think and the only one of those games i'd play again would be shadowbane.

I am the .00000001428%
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6554 on: June 05, 2011, 11:04:21 AM

We go through this at least once per big launch.

No one is going to gamble 200 million to make something 'new'.  No product in the world works that way.  You will only see real innovation in small products until the idea gains acceptance after which it becomes assimilated into the current evolution.  The most you can realistically hope for is general improvement on the previous successful iterations.

Expecting anything other than WoW in space with lasers is simply expecting to be disappointed.  That means raids, crafting, equipment tiers and etc...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6555 on: June 05, 2011, 11:27:45 AM

That means raids, crafting, equipment tiers and etc...
..shoulderpads...
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6556 on: June 05, 2011, 01:50:45 PM

Honest question, is there anyone working as a high level designer on an MMO that did not come from the "endgame raiding = pinnacle" mold

It doesn't really matter if there is.   Game designers don't get to do things like say "hey we aren't going to copy WoW".   The suits fire them when they say that.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6557 on: June 05, 2011, 03:01:26 PM

Honest question, is there anyone working as a high level designer on an MMO that did not come from the "endgame raiding = pinnacle" mold in either the way the games they have worked on before were designed or, more importantly, how they played EQ/WoW etc?

My guess is that there are few if any who go into the MMO designing business that did not come from said mold, and seeing as they were at least somewhat comfortable in that mold, what makes anyone believe they would not follow that vein in designing a new game?

Honest counter-question: how much money has Raph Koster made people?
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #6558 on: June 05, 2011, 03:22:19 PM

Everything in it looks like they took WoW and jampacked a SWTOR personal questing experience into it. It's really nothing to be discouraged by.
That's exactly why I'm discouraged.

I think it's actually good news. If you did the same sort of expansion on the MMO theme to WoW, it'd be the best change WoW had ever had — especially what with there now being a consistent and immersive level of game involvement and experience which didn't ultimately revolve around endgame content. It means that even if you are the sort of player who's really uninterested in the MMO grind, you still have this whole level of play that can make this a worthwhile experience just as if it were a singleplayer game.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:24:34 PM by Samprimary »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6559 on: June 05, 2011, 03:24:24 PM

Heh, if you were expecting anything else, then that's just silly.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #6560 on: June 05, 2011, 03:25:39 PM

yes, and that. there's no way it wasn't going to be (to some degree or another) WoW in space.

even trying to shoehorn in that many ranged classes is risky. they like safe.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #6561 on: June 05, 2011, 04:03:00 PM

WoW with a hero/renegade meter in space is fine with me, at least to buy the game and play through to max level.  Whether or not they keep me subbed with their endgame is entirely up to what they do with it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #6562 on: June 05, 2011, 05:07:04 PM

Yea this is truly my only concern.   WoW can talk about "skill" all they want but raiding with a raid guild isn't unappealing because it requires skill.  If SWTOR copies that nonsense I know I'll eventually become tired of the game no matter what.

I'm firmly of the opinion that everytime some poopsock talks about the "skill" of MMO combat, some guy at a Street Fighter or FPS tournament is stricken with giggles and doesn't know why.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6563 on: June 05, 2011, 05:12:23 PM

There's degree of skill.  There is skill in raiding, and organizing and defeating new encounters.  However no where near the degree of skill needed to win a SF tournament or SC2 one.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6564 on: June 05, 2011, 05:29:53 PM

There is no real individual skill in MMO combat. It is nearly all pre-planning and numbers.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #6565 on: June 05, 2011, 05:49:37 PM

There's much more logistical and analytical effort involved in raiding than there is a need for straight twitch skills.  You still need them though, especially in the need to be able to think on your feet while still executing the plan you worked out before.

You're working at a slower pace than in a fighter or fast shooter and with a smaller mental checklist than in a micro-heavy RTS, but saying there's "no real individual skill" to high-end group MMO combat isn't fair.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6566 on: June 05, 2011, 06:04:44 PM

There's degree of skill.  There is skill in raiding, and organizing and defeating new encounters.  However no where near the degree of skill needed to win a SF tournament or SC2 one.

There is no real individual skill in MMO combat. It is nearly all pre-planning and numbers.

Ohhhhh, I see. why so serious?

Oh boy this argument again!
Reflex & Memorization != Skill any more than planning and preparation. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #6567 on: June 05, 2011, 07:05:39 PM

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2590-Choice-and-Conflict

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #6568 on: June 05, 2011, 07:17:59 PM

"Getting two dozen assholes to all log on at the same time, that's the real skill!"

Ahahahahaha. Sure it is champ, but only if you call it logistics. That sounds much more skillful.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6569 on: June 05, 2011, 07:41:54 PM

Scheduling Coordinators are the most lucrative careers in the world, according to mmo devs.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6570 on: June 05, 2011, 07:43:07 PM

I'm firmly of the opinion that everytime some poopsock talks about the "skill" of MMO combat, some guy at a Street Fighter or FPS tournament is stricken with giggles and doesn't know why.

They're just jealous of our ability to macro. If they could, they would too. JEALOUS!

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #6571 on: June 06, 2011, 03:45:53 AM

What is the definition of skill in this context? How difficult it is? How many people can do it? How much time is needed to master it?

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6572 on: June 06, 2011, 04:47:36 AM

What is the definition of skill in this context? How difficult it is? How many people can do it? How much time is needed to master it?

Considering that almost anyone can do it at an acceptable level given a bit of practice and a narrow enough individual scope of responsibility, not very much.

However, you do occasionally run into someone who can perform a bit better than average which makes people think there is more skill involved than there really is.  It's just that most don't put in any effort at all so the few who are actually competent stand out.

I think eq1 enchanter was the last class I recall that actually had a real difference between a button masher and someone who knew what they were doing.  A good 'chanter and you could push well beyond the limits of what a group was supposed to be able to accomplish.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6573 on: June 06, 2011, 05:40:41 AM

Ohhhhh, I see. why so serious?

I think the better way of thinking about isn't skill v. no skill, but the height of the skill ceilings.  To stay away from the general argument, but to illustrate my point, this is the reason that you see demomen, soldiers, and scouts in competitive TF2, they have a much higher skill ceiling than the other classes (mainly due to superior mobility).  Something like Heavy might get you loads of kills against average players, but their use is far more specialized and limited in competitive play.  Generally speaking, I think MMOs have a much lower skill ceiling than shooters or RTS games.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #6574 on: June 06, 2011, 05:42:37 AM

Merusk's post makes a lot more sense now.  Not everyone is defining a "skill" along the lines of "something you can learn (to do)".  I have some vague concept of what folks are using instead but... that's a horrible black hole of an argument.

So, E3!

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6575 on: June 06, 2011, 07:10:30 AM

So, E3!
On the one hand, I think it sucks they're now being pushed to feature lock and polish things up for release.

On the other hand, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ANNOUNCE THE FIRM RELEASE DATE AT E3!

My bet: I'll get hired at this tech firm and be working 15 hour/5 days when TOR releases. For reals.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6576 on: June 06, 2011, 07:39:47 AM

Yes, if ever there was a time to release a date for this game, today is that day.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6577 on: June 06, 2011, 07:53:11 AM

That space combat looks so MEH.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #6578 on: June 06, 2011, 08:14:48 AM

That space combat looks so MEH.

Nah, you just don't know how to party like it's 1993 again ;)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6579 on: June 06, 2011, 08:18:35 AM

Yes, if ever there was a time to release a date for this game, today is that day.
My money would be on the final day of E3 with lots of hype leading up to it.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: