Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102149 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3815 on: June 15, 2010, 06:00:32 PM

Found a few videos of actual gameplay here: http://www.youtube.com/user/21rusZoom#p/u/0/dByXaLN2SiQ

I think that's all new at least, I don't recognize it.

Pew! Pew! Pew!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #3816 on: June 15, 2010, 06:16:41 PM

Looks like a twi'lek player character in that video too.  I'm not sure if that's news or not, but I hadn't heard about it until now.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3817 on: June 15, 2010, 06:29:09 PM

The fact that a pike is a shitty melee weapon outside of strictly regimented infantry formations is relevant.  You can't use a 22 foot long polearm in a melee.
Are you purposefully being obtuse?  I'm talking a 5-10' shaft.  Maybe if I said 'spear' you'd be happier?  Light Glaive?

Geezus.  I just thought it'd be a nice option and something I'd like to see in a fictional setting.  Y'all have out-nerded me.  Congrats.

It's not a pike unless I'm left with the impression you are unable to perform sexually.

Pikes are piercing weapons, sure you can slap a guy with a pike and hurt him but the lightsaber goes around all of that.  Slapping him and stabbing him have the same general effect (dead or cut up).  Lightsabers are ALL edge/point/whatever. 

Lightsabers do not even really follow the rules.  Holding a lightsaber up to a door that resists and turning it on does not push the user back.  The user really only has to be strong enough to hold it up and eventually it will cut through.

For that matter being physically strong only seems to matter when you encounter objects that can resist the lightsaber to a significant degree.  Hitting robots and clones with a lightsaber does not send them flying yards away, the lightsaber does not have the mass to pass on your physical strength UNLESS of course you are up against another lightsaber or resistant force, and even this is limited.  The Juggernaut using a lightsaber to open a door is not going to be much more effective at it than an average person.  It might be easier to disarm someone (ho ho) but not much else.  On that note, if one saber user can hit another guys saber so hard it breaks the guys bones, turns him to jelly etc from the sheer impact of their weapons he has eclipsed the need for a lightsaber in the first place and would likely use a weapon more suited to his or her characteristics.  That must be a point somewhere in here.

1. Your first point is irrelevant.  Sticking a lightsabre on the end of anything makes it capable of cutting as well as piercing.
2. The "rules" are what the wiki says they are, because said rule is derived from a retcon, which is what happens when the person who holds the IP says "this is the way it is."
3. This third paragraph contradicts your second point.  If a lightsabre seems to encounter resistance in any solid material then the suggestion that they don't is obviously wrong.
4. Lastly, half of the last paragraph is dedicated to transmitted kinetic energy, the reading of which made me a little more retarded.  Breaking bones, what the fuck?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3818 on: June 15, 2010, 06:37:45 PM

Found a few videos of actual gameplay here: http://www.youtube.com/user/21rusZoom#p/u/0/dByXaLN2SiQ

I think that's all new at least, I don't recognize it.

-edit-
Is there anyway to make that link not automagically turn into a forum popup window? It's actually a link to five videos or so.

Wow.

That's just...bland.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3819 on: June 15, 2010, 06:43:09 PM

It's not a pike unless I'm left with the impression you are unable to perform sexually.
I was using the SW terminology, not earthly weapon design.  Force pikes have been around since the Imperial Guard showed up in the original trilogy.  Their haft isn't that long.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3820 on: June 15, 2010, 06:46:24 PM

Wow.

That's just...bland.

Yea, it pretty much looks like an updated KOTOR combat wise. Which, well, no one here played either of the KOTOR's for their combat systems.

Hope all those voice overs pay off!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3821 on: June 15, 2010, 06:51:16 PM

From that Massively article:

Crafting will be "unique but WoW-like"

why so serious? why so serious? why so serious?

Although well-played on the player ships - it suddenly makes instanced housing a lot more palatable to a number of those who would bitch about it.

EDIT: Because you can't close a quote with a /url tag.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:38:56 PM by UnSub »

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3822 on: June 15, 2010, 07:20:15 PM

Yea, it pretty much looks like an updated KOTOR combat wise. Which, well, no one here played either of the KOTOR's for their combat systems.

Been a long time since I played KOTOR, so I'll take your word for it.  But Holy Yoda's Hairy Green Buttcrack it looked so very dull.   The only classes that looked like that might be fun are the Sith Agent and Smuggler classes, since they're apparently the only ones that can use cover  Ohhhhh, I see..  Otherwise everyone just ran out in the open and spammed an attack or two and took damage  awesome, for real.

Hope all those voice overs pay off!

"I want to kill you more than I've ever wanted to kill aaannnnyone..." - low sultry, angry voice  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
"I'm releasing you from my service....eventually" - Emperor sound alike  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Yeah.  Awesome.
 swamp poop
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3823 on: June 15, 2010, 07:24:15 PM

Yea, the cover thing being a 'class feature' instead of, you know, a thing EVERY Non-Jedi does bothers me a lot.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3824 on: June 15, 2010, 07:39:11 PM

That looked just about as boring as it could have. 
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #3825 on: June 15, 2010, 07:44:21 PM

Been a long time since I played KOTOR, so I'll take your word for it.  But Holy Yoda's Hairy Green Buttcrack it looked so very dull.
The scary part -- that was with the gameplay condensed to single minute or so from the original ~15-30 mins (pure guess, might be more), and with external camera angles to shake thing up rather than have it all the time attached to your butt.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #3826 on: June 15, 2010, 07:47:13 PM

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #3827 on: June 15, 2010, 08:08:33 PM

Those trailers did nothing to excite me. Phantasy Star Universe plays more fun than that. If all you can show are glorified cut-scenes, there's something very very wrong.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3828 on: June 15, 2010, 10:04:19 PM

If you don't like glorified cut scenes this really won't be the game for you.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #3829 on: June 15, 2010, 10:16:48 PM

Those were physically painful to watch.

I don't mind cut scenes, glorified or otherwise, but those were just bad.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3830 on: June 15, 2010, 10:52:31 PM

My take-out from those videos is that SWOR will be great since we'll be able to one-shot everything. BioWare wants us to experience the story so badly they've given all mobs only 1 HP.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3831 on: June 15, 2010, 11:00:43 PM

So, if your character can take multiple blaster shots to the chest what is the point of diving for or creating your own cover?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3832 on: June 15, 2010, 11:02:54 PM

http://e3.g4tv.com/videos/46527/E3-2010-Live-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-MMO-Combat-Demo/ has some actual combat videos, with the full UI and stuff going on.

Or it does if you can ever get it to load.

-fake edit-

Pezzle, cover is fun! No seriously, being able to see my character crouch behind something and pop up and under again adds to my immersion factor or whatever you want to call it.

It's one of my favorite things from games like Mass Effect, the ability to cling to a wall and fire around it like that.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3833 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:03 PM

So, if your character can take multiple blaster shots to the chest what is the point of diving for or creating your own cover?

Because your hit points are low and you're not a healer.  That 6th center mass shot might kill you.

Seriously, guys. MMO. Seriously.  Keep the bar low. Seriously.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:05:05 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3834 on: June 15, 2010, 11:20:46 PM

Massively interview here covering ships (which are stationary player houses in space) pvp (lightsabre warsong gulch) and crafting (wow type casual-oriented).

Some of Rich Vogel's replies will be made clearer by use of this handy translation guide:

This feature is very similar to WoW - This is a feature none of us give a shit about.

This is a feature we haven't talked about much yet - This is a feature we haven't worked on much yet.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:25:51 PM by Stabs »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #3835 on: June 16, 2010, 01:47:14 AM

The idea of using the ships as guild housing is sort of neat. It's about the only mechanism where the idea of multiple instances having the same entry point (a shuttle-dock) makes a degree of sense. Much more so than a building that is constantly phasing..

Of course more likely they'll just end up as single player trophy rooms given the way the game seems to be heading.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3836 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:04 AM

Good lord.. the Twilek in that Trooper vid must have a plasteel support garment on.  She's ridiculously proportioned even by "teenage fan service" standards.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3837 on: June 16, 2010, 03:39:43 AM

I was using the SW terminology, not earthly weapon design.  Force pikes have been around since the Imperial Guard showed up in the original trilogy.  Their haft isn't that long.

It's not the size of the haft, it's the Force behind it.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #3838 on: June 16, 2010, 04:03:07 AM

http://e3.g4tv.com/videos/46527/E3-2010-Live-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-MMO-Combat-Demo/ has some actual combat videos, with the full UI and stuff going on.

That healer jedi didn't seem to have time to do anything but spam the heal button (and move pointlessly).  She took a couple sword swings towards the end of the fight, and their tank got down to 15% health.  Great.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3839 on: June 16, 2010, 05:44:25 AM

This is a feature we haven't talked about much yet - This is a feature we haven't worked on much yet.[/i]
It would be nice if they would talk about features they have worked on.  So far I'm wondering if that is any of them.

Good lord.. the Twilek in that Trooper vid must have a plasteel support garment on.  She's ridiculously proportioned even by "teenage fan service" standards.
At least she was fully clothed. undecided

They have successfully made me not care about this game.  I'll still follow it to see how things shape up, but I no longer think it will be something that will hold my interest.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3840 on: June 16, 2010, 05:54:28 AM

1. Your first point is irrelevant.  Sticking a lightsabre on the end of anything makes it capable of cutting as well as piercing.
2. The "rules" are what the wiki says they are, because said rule is derived from a retcon, which is what happens when the person who holds the IP says "this is the way it is."
3. This third paragraph contradicts your second point.  If a lightsabre seems to encounter resistance in any solid material then the suggestion that they don't is obviously wrong.
4. Lastly, half of the last paragraph is dedicated to transmitted kinetic energy, the reading of which made me a little more retarded.  Breaking bones, what the fuck?

Hahah, you are funny.  

1.  Comparing Lightsaber to anything non-lightsaber.
2 and 3 and 4  The rules are whatever they say but the universe ignores them rather casually.  Lightsaber mass only matters sometimes so the kinetic energy it transmits only matters when they bother to remember.  Usually the energy wielders can transmit is pointless but it seems to matter in a very dramatic way when they are lightsaber fighting.  But go ahead and suggest that the lightsaber has a highly variable mass depending on what the person is doing.  

Edit

Back on the fun topic.  Wow, that video.  YOU are the best smuggler in the universe.  Not the other 5000 best smugglers in the universe, YOU.  And this is how they justify balance between force users and non users.  HEHEHE
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:59:02 AM by Pezzle »
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #3841 on: June 16, 2010, 06:55:13 AM

So we have forced grouping, gear > skill, and the holy trinity in full effect.  Sounds just dandy.  If this were 2004. 

I know the resident Star Wars fans at work that have been following this would be impressed with the combat video, but they've never played an MMO before.  We'll see if that works out for Bioware any better than it did for Cryptic.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #3842 on: June 16, 2010, 06:55:50 AM

Hey, I can make myself black!  Good on them!
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3843 on: June 16, 2010, 07:10:21 AM

You can even have corn rolls/rows/whatever!

So we have forced grouping, gear > skill, and the holy trinity in full effect.  Sounds just dandy.  If this were 2004.

Shit.  Try partying like it's 1999.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3844 on: June 16, 2010, 07:11:38 AM

WoW with lightsabers. Tres surprise
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3845 on: June 16, 2010, 07:49:01 AM

Those vids were not good.  I didn't make it to the end of any of them except the ship/housing one.  When people were talking I wanted them to shut up.  When people were in combat I wanted them to do something else.

So boring.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3846 on: June 16, 2010, 08:01:57 AM

ACK!

More people standing on the spot going through animations and shooting one another until one falls down...

We'll see if that works out for Bioware any better than it did for Cryptic.

This could all get very depressing very quickly... I always hoped SWTOR > STO by quite some margin. I still hope, but after seeing the E3 videos I have more doubts to contend with.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3847 on: June 16, 2010, 08:09:16 AM

Well shit. Now I'm depressed about my chances of liking this game.

If they put in some of the old Galaxies crafting aspects with minerals, I'll still play.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3848 on: June 16, 2010, 08:13:44 AM

If they put in some of the old Galaxies crafting aspects with minerals, I'll still play.

Ohh god. Stop.  You're making my sides hurt.

Has it just not been said on this page yet? KOTOR3.

-Rasix
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3849 on: June 16, 2010, 08:17:08 AM

Seems like a MMG on rails. It seems like more of a distribution package for a single player game than a MMG. Smart I guess, if you want to go into the Asian market.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: