Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:14:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2071744 times)
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #14035 on: November 27, 2011, 08:11:44 AM

They do actually technically explain before you pick stuff, since talking to each trainer unlocks that particular codex entry, and you can back out and see the entry for the craft before you go back and pick it.

It's not anywhere near adequate though.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14036 on: November 27, 2011, 08:15:13 AM

It's pretty clear if you read the codex entries on the various crafting skills. I picked an actual crafting skill (Synthweaving) first, then figured out which two skills supported it. The gathering and mission skills aren't really there to make money, since they cost money to send your companion on the missions and really only reward components for crafting.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #14037 on: November 27, 2011, 08:36:15 AM

I'm not entirely sure why I'd want to pay a subscription fee for this. It's a single player game with chat and noise at the edge of the screen.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #14038 on: November 27, 2011, 08:44:24 AM

I ended up canceling my pre-order last week. My impressions from the last beta weekend were mostly positive, but I've cooled on the game since and didn't have the interest to play this weekend. I think your mileage on the game will vary entirely based on whether you're a Star Wars fan or not. Without the IP, it's a mechanically mediocre MMO that isn't up to modern standards and doesn't offer enough new.

I just cancelled mine. There's just not enough there there. I realized I had started to spacebar or tab out of the quest dialogs. It was really redoing BT for the third time that clinched it though. First, we chose a lot of different stuff and it became obvious most of the cut scene choices weren't choices and you got the same responses, they were just vague enough to match everything. And second, I just can't imagine how these endless cutscenes and interruptions play in an end game. It gave me a lot of doubts about whether or not the devs "get" MMOs.

There was a lot more, but mostly the game feels like it was done on the cheap. No UI changes. No LFG system. A lot of glitchy graphics and pretty bad performance for what you're seeing on the screen. Other than voiceovers, it just doesn't feel like a AAA title.

Rift felt like an evolution of WoW where SWTOR just feels like WoW-2006 with a different coat of paint.

I'm still bored with Rift, but I think SWTOR has made me appreciate it a lot more. It didn't bring much, but it brought some new things.

If I had more time, I'd probably have bought it and played for a month like warhammer or conan, but my time is a premium and I'd already gotten bored just in a weekend beta. I can't imagine anyone would be talking about this game if it didn't have a Star Wars license.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #14039 on: November 27, 2011, 08:46:10 AM

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:56:43 AM by jakonovski »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14040 on: November 27, 2011, 08:50:29 AM

I realized I had started to spacebar or tab out of the quest dialogs.
Oh god thank you, I was trying to find a way to do this.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #14041 on: November 27, 2011, 08:58:11 AM

And you can read the text in the "other" chat box.

The problem with spacebarring out of the quest dialogs is the quest dialogs are like the whole game.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14042 on: November 27, 2011, 09:06:04 AM

And you can read the text in the "other" chat box.

The problem with spacebarring out of the quest dialogs is the quest dialogs are like the whole game.

Did we somehow forget that the 4th column of this game is "Story"?   Ohhhhh, I see.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #14043 on: November 27, 2011, 09:12:44 AM

There was a lot more, but mostly the game feels like it was done on the cheap.
awesome, for real

(i do get what you mean, but still)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #14044 on: November 27, 2011, 09:13:08 AM

Sometimes I just want to get the foozle, not to hear said foozle's life story
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14045 on: November 27, 2011, 09:14:49 AM

Sometimes I just want to get the foozle, not to hear said foozle's life story

Back to WoW then for you.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #14046 on: November 27, 2011, 09:40:26 AM

i do get what you mean, but still

I know. I looked at their IMDB entry and apparentlly the voice talent mostly have full acting roles. I have no idea what that kind of thing costs. But without the voiceovers, I really don't see where the money went.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #14047 on: November 27, 2011, 09:44:29 AM

i do get what you mean, but still

I know. I looked at their IMDB entry and apparentlly the voice talent mostly have full acting roles. I have no idea what that kind of thing costs. But without the voiceovers, I really don't see where the money went.

We are making a star wars game developer parties?
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #14048 on: November 27, 2011, 09:44:53 AM

Redoing things over and over would be my guess, or buidling up expansive mechanics that were then scrapped.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #14049 on: November 27, 2011, 09:53:07 AM

I'm not entirely sure why I'd want to pay a subscription fee for this. It's a single player game with chat and noise at the edge of the screen.

Not emptyquoting.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14050 on: November 27, 2011, 10:03:00 AM

Spent the weekend testing.  Generic.  I may cancel my preorder as well.  After playing WoT for the last few days, this game feels SO sluggish and unresponsive.  The story just isn't enough to hold my attention. 

I think I may have finally broken my MMO addiction.  Thank you Bioware!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14051 on: November 27, 2011, 10:20:24 AM

Not emptyquoting.

This pretty much sums it up.  It would be cool to see my character progress into getting a lightsaber, but I'm not seeing what the subscription is for.  Far too little game here to justify $15/mo.  I might snag it down the line at $20 to play through a story or two, but this simply isn't a day 1 purchase.

While textures and fps got better once the newb areas cleared out a bit, the animations are straight out of 10 years ago.  Vanilla WoW animations are better and those are part of a 7 year old game now.  They're so terrible, comparatively, that it is mind-boggling to me how they were approved.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #14052 on: November 27, 2011, 10:25:14 AM

I guesstimate you can see what the game has to offer before the first month is up, so the subscription isn't really part of the big picture, no?
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #14053 on: November 27, 2011, 10:42:20 AM

With how far co-operative games/modes have come in the past couple of years, I can sympathize with that.  Still, it pulls off "sharing a modern BioWare RPG with my friends, in real-time" so brilliantly that I have no qualms about paying a subscription for it.

I'd known for some time that it worked as a single-player title for the most part.  What I learned this weekend, with most of my guild on TS and playing, was that all of the things that seem kind of annoying, like the dialogue rolls and heroic quests, facilitate the kinds of conversations that we have about these games.

Mechanically, I'm a little higher on it than most because I think Agent healing is really fun because of the variable energy regen.  Overall though, it's not as aggressive in pushing every possible ability combination as Rift is, but I don't think that's to its determent.  More broadly, as a modern Diku, I have no idea if it's going to have a compelling end-game or be mechanically sound, but for the box plus a couple months, I think it's well worth it.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14054 on: November 27, 2011, 10:56:01 AM

This page is really dragging down the epic thread, gang  cry

I imagine that, like WoW, TOR will have a strong opening, and once BW's in moneyhats and EA's investors have been calmed down, they'll start addressing the deeper issues.  Like I've said before, the story is what's supposed to be driving this monster...if that's something that turns you off, well then yeah, working as intended. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #14055 on: November 27, 2011, 10:56:39 AM

You all have a forum now. Make use of it. Locking the generic thread.

Also, this thread isn't epic. It's just proof that f13 is able to keep relatively on-topic and self-contained.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: