Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2098581 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14000 on: November 26, 2011, 08:42:48 PM

So, post 14000. Neat.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14001 on: November 26, 2011, 08:43:23 PM

You can send your companion off to sell all your trash loot -- what a concept.  awesome, for real
How do you do this?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #14002 on: November 26, 2011, 08:48:25 PM

I'd say they would have been better served making an epic single player game like Skyrim, but that's neither here nor there. They tried their hand at the mmo genre. I don't think it works for me. Probably cancelling me preorder shortly and diverting those funds to the year of WoW for Diablo deal.
Skyrim gameplay in a Star Wars setting with DCUO combat would make me a very, very happy camper.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #14003 on: November 26, 2011, 09:10:45 PM

You can send your companion off to sell all your trash loot -- what a concept.  awesome, for real
How do you do this?

There is a TEENY TINY little button on the companion screen (N) that looks like a 7 (which is apparently the credit symbol). Click that, and off they go.

God Save the Horn Players
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #14004 on: November 26, 2011, 09:30:06 PM

I ended up canceling my pre-order last week. My impressions from the last beta weekend were mostly positive, but I've cooled on the game since and didn't have the interest to play this weekend. I think your mileage on the game will vary entirely based on whether you're a Star Wars fan or not. Without the IP, it's a mechanically mediocre MMO that isn't up to modern standards and doesn't offer enough new. Rift felt like an evolution of WoW where SWTOR just feels like WoW-2006 with a different coat of paint.

It's a similar boat that LOTRO was in, but LOTRO had (and still has) some really amazing graphics/music that helped pull me in even though I wasn't a giant Tolkien fan.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14005 on: November 26, 2011, 09:48:10 PM

How do you do this?

There is a TEENY TINY little button on the companion screen (N) that looks like a 7 (which is apparently the credit symbol). Click that, and off they go.

You can just right click the companion portrait for a menu option too.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #14006 on: November 26, 2011, 10:11:16 PM

The game seriously needs all sarcasm responses to have an icon or something.   It's pretty jarring to expect a snarky line then get something serious in the other direction.   
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #14007 on: November 26, 2011, 10:19:31 PM

I think your mileage on the game will vary entirely based on whether you're a Star Wars fan or not. Without the IP, it's a mechanically mediocre MMO that isn't up to modern standards and doesn't offer enough new.

For some, maybe, but I was never huge into Star Wars. I AM hugely into, like, stories that are above fanfic-level writing, though!

And cute men in tight pants.

God Save the Horn Players
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #14008 on: November 26, 2011, 10:25:18 PM

For some, maybe, but I was never huge into Star Wars. I AM hugely into, like, stories that are above fanfic-level writing, though!

And cute men in tight pants.

I'll freely admit if they got Nathan Fillion to do voice acting for one of the playable characters, I'd probably never unsub :p He was in Jade Empire too, missed opportunity Bioware.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14009 on: November 26, 2011, 10:55:46 PM

Ah, I missed page 400. Got sucked into the damned game, despite not really being interested in playing again before launch.

Picked a Jedi Knight so it would be zones I'd already done (as Consular) but not straight repetition. Going for dark side choices without being a douche is pretty cool. Started a great Esseles pug with a couple troopers (one of each flavor) and a smuggler; I took the guardian AC and dipped my toes into tanking. Stuff just kind of fell like wheat before us, it was way easier than the 367 weekend. Love the multiplayer conversations, it adds so much to the genre imo.

Can't believe I got sucked in again. And continuing where I left off by forming groups! What the hell.

My Guardian is also exactly the guy I played in KotOR - bald oriental guy with fu manchu. So perfect.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14010 on: November 27, 2011, 12:28:57 AM

I sat down for the day with a consular. I actually like the story so far. And as far as "beating up mean things in pve" goes, the consular trumps my scoundrel to an absurd degree. Spending 4 minutes killing a champion with my companion wasn't really engaging content, but I have a feeling it wasn't really the intended way of completing the quest either.

Did the first republic flashpoint. Easy as expected, and far longer than I expected. I got a laugh out of the last drop being a lightsaber that required level 1 dark side though. I'm curious how often they'll pull out the light/dark side equipment block.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #14011 on: November 27, 2011, 12:41:56 AM

Played another couple hours. Trooper is fun, but there is nothing here other than expanding that interaction when accepting and turning in a quest. I guess for some people that will be enough. Don't really wanna piss on anyone's parade so that will be about all I have to contribute, did cancel my Amazon preorder though.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14012 on: November 27, 2011, 12:51:29 AM

Well the EU servers are up!

One change I didn't notice at first, but they updated all the Cyborg options, so they reflect the class they are on. I predict a METRIC FUCK TON of Imperial Agent 'Cyborgs' now.

So I finally found some time to login and check this...while I do kinda like the new options, I don't like how they disabled the old ones.

That said, the new ones, coupled with the right cosmo options, make me look like this guy:

So, it's not all bad  awesome, for real DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14013 on: November 27, 2011, 02:21:01 AM

forming groups

The end of days is truly upon us.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #14014 on: November 27, 2011, 03:22:32 AM

The game seriously needs all sarcasm responses to have an icon or something.   It's pretty jarring to expect a snarky line then get something serious in the other direction.
Maybe they should highlight the text in green.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #14015 on: November 27, 2011, 03:30:52 AM

I'd like them to color-code the three dialogue choices so you don't have to mouse-over to see the Dark and Light choices.

Also, new to me, are social points.  The more you group, the more social points you gain.  You can turn them in for cosmetic rewards and other 'fun stuff'.

Another thing I like is that if you are modifying a blaster, your mouse-over of an upgrade slot will highlight qualifying items in your inventory. 
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #14016 on: November 27, 2011, 04:25:17 AM

so basically the smuggler is an agent. Same skills, different icons. Is that like that with all classes? One-to-one between empire and republic?

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #14017 on: November 27, 2011, 04:30:32 AM

so basically the smuggler is an agent. Same skills, different icons. Is that like that with all classes? One-to-one between empire and republic?

Yes.

Jedi Guardian = Sith Juggernaut
Jedi Sage = Sith Sorcerer
Scoundrel = Operative
Gunslinger = Sniper

etc.

The only "real" differences are the weapons used for the non-Force users and the switch from Ammo to Heat going from Trooper to Bounty Hunter. A Gunslinger will use dual-wielded pistols as opposed to a Sniper, who will use a sniper rifle and a combat knife. Or a Commando who uses a big fuckoff HEALING BOOLET-shooting autocannon compared to the dual-pistol Mercenary.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:32:46 AM by koro »
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #14018 on: November 27, 2011, 04:37:50 AM

No social clothing, eh? Kinda uncool.

You can buy some social clothes on Dromond Kaas from a social vendor. I would assume Coruscant has the same.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #14019 on: November 27, 2011, 05:14:18 AM

That one mission character on Ord Mantell kinda makes me expect to go off-screen and come back out as Captain Chaos.  why so serious?

That mission where you go from standby to "the man?"  (William Tell Overture begins to play)   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yeah, got nailed with this a couple of times (and in DA as well, but there's no "reload" option in TOR).  Quite annoying.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #14020 on: November 27, 2011, 05:22:54 AM

I get hit by the lack of sarcasm a lot, because the blurb is exactly something I'd say, then my character is all serious.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #14021 on: November 27, 2011, 05:35:53 AM

I've never been a fan of the latter-day Bioware dialogue style used in Mass Effect, DA2, and here. I hate not knowing exactly what I'm going to say and going the voiced protagonist route is a poor excuse; most of the lines your character delivers in-game are more than short enough to fit on screen, even on 4:3 monitors.

If I didn't enjoy Mass Effect's gameplay as much as I did, the dialogue wheel would have turned me completely off from the game. Dragon Age 2 did not have the same luxury.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #14022 on: November 27, 2011, 05:53:05 AM

since I'm trying the first couple of levels on everything, different characters on the same account not sharing hotkeys/ui setup is driving me insane. I thought we sorted that a couple years back :(

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14023 on: November 27, 2011, 05:55:27 AM

I'd like them to color-code the three dialogue choices so you don't have to mouse-over to see the Dark and Light choices.

Top choice = lightside, bottom choice = darkside.  If there are only two dialogue options instead of three it's a light/dark opportunity. Not, that hard.

I don't recall ever seeing a three choicer that was light/dark.  Anyway, light/dark points can be gotten through the crafting system, there is no reason to not pick whichever option appeals to you and just 'buy it back' through crafting if it takes you away from your intended direction.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:58:24 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14024 on: November 27, 2011, 06:00:50 AM

I don't recall ever seeing a three choicer that was light/dark.

I'll contest this.  I've had two non-altering options and a third LS option with my IA.  General advice: If you really want to min/max your LS/DS opportunities, mouse-hover over every dialogue option everytime.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #14025 on: November 27, 2011, 06:03:36 AM

I've also seen two LS options with a DS option at the bottom.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14026 on: November 27, 2011, 07:08:23 AM

GAME NEEDS A COSMETICS TAB!  Heartbreak

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14027 on: November 27, 2011, 07:10:55 AM

GAME NEEDS A COSMETICS TAB!  Heartbreak

Game has/had a cosmetics system through item modifications.  I'm told it's still turned off right now?  Or something? 

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14028 on: November 27, 2011, 07:17:18 AM

I get hit by the lack of sarcasm a lot, because the blurb is exactly something I'd say, then my character is all serious.

Yeah, I picked some flashpoint dialog that was deadpan humor to me, but was a bitchy rant from my character.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14029 on: November 27, 2011, 07:18:38 AM

Top choice = lightside, bottom choice = darkside.  If there are only two dialogue options instead of three it's a light/dark opportunity. Not, that hard.

I don't recall ever seeing a three choicer that was light/dark.  Anyway, light/dark points can be gotten through the crafting system, there is no reason to not pick whichever option appeals to you and just 'buy it back' through crafting if it takes you away from your intended direction.

I've seen a bunch of light/dark in multi option conversations on the Sage so far. But it does usually hold to "top to bottom goes Nice to Douchebag"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14030 on: November 27, 2011, 07:30:30 AM

Played another couple hours. Trooper is fun, but there is nothing here other than expanding that interaction when accepting and turning in a quest.

Unlike the varied and compelling changes to the world you make in any single-player Bioware RPG?   awesome, for real

Just sayin'  It's all I'd expected given the direction MA and DA games have taken.  If you can't ignore the other folks running around doing the same story that's on you rather than the mechanics.  Wait a few months for the newb areas to clear out and then, ta-da, just like a SP game.

Not that the game doesn't have it's flaws.  The UI, Running and gunning animations, the creepy way your avatar's body twists independently from their torso. (Target something behind you) and a general feeling of sluggishness that's not as bad as LOTR but still there when compared to Rift & WoW.  I can't list "I don't feel epic hero-y enough" as one of them.

Oh, and the Trooper SL does get better if you're willing to just go with the light-side flow. It's just so patently obvious that's what they want you to do that it fees silly to even have the dark-side options for him. Since he was farthest along I took him up to 11 and wow you're just a killing machine with a companion; at least on Ord Mantell. I was able to do the Heroic+2 quests with my comp without a problem.

Jedi Knight had more compelling DS vs LS choices if you're willing to play an over-confident padawan who's always being told how special they are vs. a young knight looking to grow into a wizened master.

Sith Sorcerer seems pretty interesting, story-wise.  I haven't felt the need to do any of the Light-side choices but my once-slave is being seduced by the power offered by the dark side quite easily.  I do laugh at a lot of the pompous folks you're surrounded by because their evil is just so mustache-twistingly bad because they're all so grim-dark serious.  They need a little modern snarky-evil in there.

Anyone tried crafting yet?  There's SO MANY damn choices only being able to pick 3 is rather limiting because there's 6 crafting and 8 gathering skills.  Wtf, yo?  Any hints on what's good and what's not worth it?   I picked up Armorcraft, slicing and salvage but it seems to me buying all mission skills like salvage slicing and treasure hunting or archaeology would be more productive.

ed:  I *just* had a 3-choicer light/dark on my Knight.  Top 2 were light bottom was dark.. if I remember right it was the quest where you
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 07:32:58 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #14031 on: November 27, 2011, 07:41:39 AM

GAME NEEDS A COSMETICS TAB!  Heartbreak

Game has/had a cosmetics system through item modifications.  I'm told it's still turned off right now?  Or something?  

Kind of. An item with a full range of mod slots is one that you can potentially keep through the entire game (unless you raid, then you're stuck in the incredibly hideous tier gear). The problem is that moddable gear is fairly rare: it's a reward for very few quests, you can only get moddable items via crafting if you go through the gruesome reverse engineering grind to get you purple-level schematics, and the Social armor sets you unlock via social point tiers, which are fully moddable, only count as Light armor. This is great news if you're a Consular/Inquisitor (and you can get away with it as a Smuggler/IA), but kind of shitty for everyone else.

And the much-talked-about "anti-clown button" that matched your gear's colors and sometimes textures to your chest piece has been disabled for three builds now (despite it working more or less fine the vast majority of the time), and I have doubts it'll come back for release.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #14032 on: November 27, 2011, 07:51:36 AM

Anyone tried crafting yet?  There's SO MANY damn choices only being able to pick 3 is rather limiting because there's 6 crafting and 8 gathering skills.  Wtf, yo?  Any hints on what's good and what's not worth it?   I picked up Armorcraft, slicing and salvage but it seems to me buying all mission skills like salvage slicing and treasure hunting or archaeology would be more productive.

There really aren't since your choice in crafting immediately leads to your choice in gathering and missions.  The codex mentions the suggested pairs in each crafting skill's entry (and all the components say what skill they're from, but a lot of people overlook that).  Missions is at least a little optional, but you'll never be able to make blue or higher stuff without the appropriate one.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14033 on: November 27, 2011, 07:56:23 AM

Well it's a good thing they explain all that before you pick then, eh?

Oh wait, they don't.  What an utter cock-up.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14034 on: November 27, 2011, 08:11:07 AM

Well it's a good thing they explain all that before you pick then, eh?

Oh wait, they don't.  What an utter cock-up.

The explain things in the codex. The first time you talk to a trainer, it'll have a quick OPEN prompt, but otherwise you have to dig a bit. Synthweaving is the one that confused me. I turn this crystal into a .. cloth belt?

If you don't take the recommended gathering options you can make green items all you want. But the secondary gathering/mission thingy is to get the blue items for making blues.

I think the biggest weakness in the crafting system is actually before you get your ship/more companions. You need spare companions to ship off to make shit and skill up. Sending your only companion off leaves you under expected strength for questing.
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: