Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:34:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR to be released...  (Read 417829 times)
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: August 19, 2008, 07:36:07 AM

Fileplanet is silly, I thought everyone moved on from it, and it curled up/died years ago.

The DLM is troublesome and crashed/timed out a crap load of times under IE (First time I used it in a long while. I know it would just have major issues with firefox and noscript etc). In the end its telling me I'm allowed to download it on Wed  ACK!. Don't get me wrong I understand this is massive amounts of data, it works for most users, but I guess all CB have to re-download?

I wonder what the logistics are of this distribution? Say 100k * 10GB client is 1PB for this preview weekend, no confirmed numbers for the OB yet tho but it's going to be MASSIVE bandwidth. How is this working out, Fileplanet gets a cut because people will subscribe for ~$7 to instantly download but do they charge EA/Mythic on some kinda meter or per download?

Seems like the problem with their distro method of bit torrent was the lack of proper seeding. If pipe access was a problem just rent some freaking seedboxes for a month. Maybe it was the tracker :S, who knows it was quite slow, but I swear to god it would be faster to put a torrent up on a a major site/tracker and let everyone go to town.

Edit: Finally got the preview Mythic email, huzza they included the torrent link and gave all the info to patch  awesome, for real

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:54:22 AM by fuser »
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: August 19, 2008, 07:58:30 AM

but I guess all CB have to re-download?

No, the email I got states that if your in the CB just keep patching and you will be ok for the preview weekend.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #772 on: August 19, 2008, 08:04:26 AM

but I guess all CB have to re-download?

No, the email I got states that if your in the CB just keep patching and you will be ok for the preview weekend.

Ah for frigs sake could just cancel the FP download as I have the CB (pre 500MB patch) from the torrent (In anticipation of the CB access I never got  awesome, for real ). Thanks!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: August 19, 2008, 12:42:27 PM

I think the NDA just dropped.  But I'm still trying to figure out the legal document they sent me.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #774 on: August 19, 2008, 12:43:19 PM

FWIW I hope the news is good.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: August 19, 2008, 12:45:45 PM

Those of you in the Beta, stop talking about the Beta (features).

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: August 19, 2008, 12:46:10 PM

I don't think it's lifted yet, I just got a letter stating what I can and can't say WHEN it's lifted.  So I guess we're close.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #777 on: August 19, 2008, 12:54:01 PM

I just got a letter stating what I can and can't say WHEN it's lifted.

I haven't gotten the letter yet, but wow, my confidence level increases by the minute.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: August 19, 2008, 01:06:18 PM

http://www.warhammerherald.com/warherald/NewsOverview.war

Folks,

As of now, the Non Disclosure portions of our North American Beta Testing Agreement is now officially lifted.  From this point on players may now freely talk about their experiences in the game as well as post screenshots, videos, etc.  We will be sending an email out to all our current players with full details about the lift over the next 24 hours.  Players with access to our forums can also see the letter there.  Players may not talk about nor reprint posts from our forums and our Test Servers (currently Deathsword) are still fully covered by the confidentiality portions of our Beta Testing Agreement.  So, other than that, free feel to talk about and share your experiences in WAR.

My thanks go out to everyone who has beta tested and continues to beta test WAR.  It has been with your help and feedback that WAR is where it is today.  We really appreciate your effort.

WAR is almost upon us!

Mark Jacobs
VP, GM Mythic Entertainment
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: August 19, 2008, 01:08:12 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #780 on: August 19, 2008, 01:20:57 PM

Well? All you motherfuckers who have so coyly posted the  NDA can start spilling the beans now.

So share.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #781 on: August 19, 2008, 01:23:29 PM

Well? All you motherfuckers who have so coyly posted the  NDA can start spilling the beans now.

So share.

This.

I have a friend that wants me to play....and well, frankly....I don't trust em. I need more info!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: August 19, 2008, 01:24:58 PM

What do you want to know, ask and ye shall receive... if I feel like it.
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: August 19, 2008, 01:25:47 PM

Yea, NDA is lifted... with the caveat that if you are one of the 'Elder" testers you cannot speak of things on the Elder servers.  This will not apply to the vast majority of testers, so people are generally free to post SS, Video, opinions etc.

My Opinion - the game is fun.  I have only been in beta 6 weeks or so, but I will answer any questions I can that you guys have.  You should know that this game is focused on DaoC-like PvP.  The design is strong, but if you don't get into Small/Large scale PvP as your end game, then you might want to reconsider this one.  This is NOT the game to turn to for Epic PvE encounters and Raids. (not that they don't exist... but the design time has obviously been spent on the PvP end game)
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #784 on: August 19, 2008, 01:27:02 PM

Have we gotten a reason for the NDA lift delay/what the magic things that had to be finished first were?  I know you and Tri had guesses, what were your guesses?

I'd post my thoughts about what I've seen in the beta, but I've had enough fun trolling the fanbois in this thread so I'll just wait two months and post in the "what went wrong" thread instead. :)

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: August 19, 2008, 01:29:06 PM

Game IMO is a giant ball of "meh" - it's not broken, there is no incoming trainwreck - it's just mediocre, with fairly boring combat. If you're really into their vision of PvP you could probably have fun.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: August 19, 2008, 01:30:40 PM

Yea, NDA is lifted... with the caveat that if you are one of the 'Elder" testers you cannot speak of things on the Elder servers.  This will not apply to the vast majority of testers, so people are generally free to post SS, Video, opinions etc.

My Opinion - the game is fun.  I have only been in beta 6 weeks or so, but I will answer any questions I can that you guys have.  You should know that this game is focused on DaoC-like PvP.  The design is strong, but if you don't get into Small/Large scale PvP as your end game, then you might want to reconsider this one.  This is NOT the game to turn to for Epic PvE encounters and Raids. (not that they don't exist... but the design time has obviously been spent on the PvP end game)
So what's its selling points over WoW, bearing in mind that WoW has battlegrounds/arenas/world PvP objectives as well?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #787 on: August 19, 2008, 01:34:18 PM

How much does it play like DAoC combat, both PVE and PVP?

How much PVE do you really HAVE to engage in to be competitive in PVP?

Is the PVE worth a shit or will it immediately feel like a grind because it's just like all the other PVE I've been used to before?

Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: August 19, 2008, 01:36:30 PM

@Simond - WoW has no world PvP objectives... not like this for sure.  If wow took an entire Zone, or more like series of Zones and made them ONLY PvP areas where you could capture, hold, and siege objectives, then yea it would be similar.  Perhaps they will do this with Lich King, but they don't have it now.  Basically, though the biggest difference will be philosophical.  WoW is all about ME.  The PvP is all done to earn MY loot and MY ranking.  In WAR it is much more group-based.  From the fact that you can run around completely ungrouped and STILL get all the rewards to the fact that your entire Race/Side benefits from you winning, it is just different.

Who knows it if will be enough 4 months from now, but for now it is significant for a guild like mine that just suffocates in WoW's self-centered model.  I suppose the gameplay of "Let's siege this city for the 20th time" will be similar to "Let's run this PvE dungeon for the 20th time", but we just enjoy killing other players more than Raid bosses. (and, we kind of get to do both here... but honestly the PvE side of WoW is just out of everyone's league and probably will be into the future)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #789 on: August 19, 2008, 01:36:47 PM

Is the PVE worth a shit or will it immediately feel like a grind because it's just like all the other PVE I've been used to before?

This. Again. Go Haemish.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: August 19, 2008, 01:39:42 PM

1. Been too long, think "WoW" and take away the HORRIBLE early-game DAoC Crowd Control and you will be close to combat mechanics.

2. None.  Not if you are talking Gear especially, but even in levelling, our guild will likely be levelling almost SOLELY using PvP come release.  You level "both ways" that way, and it is just as fast as quest/grinding.

3. The PvE is as fun... as PvE can be.  Maybe moreso?  I enjoy the Public Quest system.  They are not meant to be run more than a few times, but why would you?  I can see running each PQ in each Chapter 2-3 times and moving on... because by then given the PVP you could do you will have outlevelled that content anyway.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #791 on: August 19, 2008, 01:42:31 PM

1. Been too long, think "WoW" and take away the HORRIBLE early-game DAoC Crowd Control and you will be close to combat mechanics.

2. None.  Not if you are talking Gear especially, but even in levelling, our guild will likely be levelling almost SOLELY using PvP come release.  You level "both ways" that way, and it is just as fast as quest/grinding.

3. The PvE is as fun... as PvE can be.  Maybe moreso?  I enjoy the Public Quest system.  They are not meant to be run more than a few times, but why would you?  I can see running each PQ in each Chapter 2-3 times and moving on... because by then given the PVP you could do you will have outlevelled that content anyway.

I am confused by response #1, since WoW doesn't have DAOC-style crowd control. Can you elaborate more?

I want to know the mechanical nitty-gritty of combat. How fast does it feel, how smooth are the graphics, can you tell wtf is going on, what is the interface feedback like, etc.

EDIT: Whoa whoa whoa wait: I have do do quests more than once to level? Seriously?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:46:39 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #792 on: August 19, 2008, 01:43:07 PM

Do you get gear from PVP or PVE only, or is the gear some sort of realm points purchases?

Are the character customization options as extensive as they have said (both visual augmentation and skill trees)?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: August 19, 2008, 01:43:49 PM

Is the lighting and shadow system in place as they were touting in a video a little while ago.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: August 19, 2008, 01:47:05 PM

I'm kind of curious as to what the PvP class balance is like.  Anything insanely OP?  Are healers (or "support hybrids" or whatever they're called) fucked?  How's stealth and CC work in this game?  Any classes gimped beyond playability?

Also, just out of curiosity, what's the big reason the NDA wasn't dropped before?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: August 19, 2008, 01:53:06 PM

Found some jank.

Videos:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:59:10 PM by Mrbloodworth »

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: August 19, 2008, 01:55:41 PM

The PvE is absolutely identical to every previous diku, with the addition of public quests, which are pretty dang cool and very well documented elsewhere.

The game itself is fairly polished; infinitely more so than AoC but nowhere near approaching WoW. Roughly a LOTRO-at-release level of polish. I'll be playing at launch, but I fully expect to get burned out and jump when WOTLK drops.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: August 19, 2008, 01:59:24 PM

Enh, I've seen the good the bad and the ugly of this beta, I've been there since it was like 15 people online. Woo. It's come a LOOOOOONG way.

CC = What CC. Seriously. There are some PBAE roots, short duration (2s) stuns, and disarms/silences. And immunity timers. There is no AE mez or anything approaching even a 10s CC effect.

Stealth: Short term AP draining effect. Maxes at 30s I believe? 60s cooldown. It's entirely used to close the melee->ranged gap, not scout or gank.

Healers are not fucked. In fact they're rather hard to kill for most classes.

Gimpy: People think Squig Herders suck. I dunno, I kinda dig em, but the archers are strange.

RVR in general for other people:

DAOC minus AE CC and Interrupts. Spellcasting is done via a Wow-esque setback system with a lower chance of setback.  Keeps are new frontiers-ish as far as complexity goes, the higher tier the zone the more complex the keep, with the upper ones having multiple walls to fall back to.

I believe I can't comment on the city capture stuff, as I don't entirely know if it's hit the non elder server yet. As to what they were waiting on: Probably the tactic rework and client update that came about 2 weeks ago, and testing the full war zone capture and city fights.

Gear: Realm Ranks allow you to buy gear. It's very nice gear for the most part, resist/wounds/damage heavy. PVE has PQs, which are actually pretty painless ways to gain XP and phat lewts. I'm happy that they added a bonus to your next loot rolls if you failed to win anything in the PQ.

Gear for PVE: they auto level you to a mid-high level for the RVR area/scenario, but your gear doesn't scale. It's not that difficult to be decked out with badass pvp gear if you just level via scenarios.

General PVE is a grindfest. I'm sorry, it is. It's not TERRIBLE, but they expect you to hope between racial pairings to get quest XP without being underleveled for the next tier, or AE grind some PQs. On the up side, warrior priests can do that by themselves :P

Any questions I missed or random things people want to know?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: August 19, 2008, 02:00:50 PM

Oh, and Bright Wizards and Sorcs are so hilariously overpowered right now due to a recent mechanics test change that they can't keep a thread open for either of them without locking it for flame wars <3
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #799 on: August 19, 2008, 02:06:02 PM

My week in beta has been great.  I am playing a Black Orc lvl 15, r8 in 18hours.  I feel that I explore (waste time) more than the average person, so some of you will likely level faster.  I also spend too much time trying to figure out all the game's functions instead of just playing it. 

There's quirky things about it that I think need fixing, for sure.  But overall, it's the most fun I've had in a game since the month post-BC launch in WoW... and before that, when WoW launched.  It's not WoW, it's not even like it at all. 

I can say right now that while I am anticipating the WoW xpac, I will likely not be buying it right away because I'm going to be engrossed in WAR too much.  It fits around my life so much more than WoW (sporadic gameplay, login for 5 hours one night, then not again for 2 days).
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: August 19, 2008, 02:06:08 PM

Have we gotten a reason for the NDA lift delay/what the magic things that had to be finished first were?  I know you and Tri had guesses, what were your guesses?

I'd post my thoughts about what I've seen in the beta, but I've had enough fun trolling the fanbois in this thread so I'll just wait two months and post in the "what went wrong" thread instead. :)

I've been in the beta since June'07 and up until a week ago combat was down right awful.  Basically you pressed your ability key, it sent a signal to the server which came back to your client and the animation executed.  You got a disconnect from playing the game.  Everything was delayed, lagged and just didn't feel right.  

Now a week ago they reversed the process where the skill animations started immediately and took care of everything else in the background.  Combat is now a lot smoother and made the game a 100x more appealing, though there are some things still that need to be ironed out.  They may of been fixed in the last few days since I havn't been on in 4-5 days.

So they were waiting for combat to be cleaned up, and it worked for the most part.  The beta testing community loved the changes.  

I think this was the one main issue.

Also random fact.

The UI custom interface screen is awesome.  They give you an option, in game, to scale any element, move any element and take away some of the art crap.  It's pretty good.

Tome of Knowledge is full of win.

Public Quests are basically the next evolution in DIKU pve leveling in my opinion.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #801 on: August 19, 2008, 02:07:44 PM

But is it fun?  awesome, for real

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #802 on: August 19, 2008, 02:08:52 PM

You have to PvE enough to help pay for the PvP gear. Right now, the character I'm playing is level 10, RR10 and he's fully decked out in renown gear. I checked his stats last night and he has 669 PVP kills and 134ish PvE kills.

PvE feels like every other PvE, except for Public Quests, which are awesome in a sneaky sort of way. I ended up doing a PQ multiple times after I said 'this is my last time' just to get that slightly better loot roll.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: August 19, 2008, 02:10:08 PM

But is it fun?  awesome, for real

I really like the pvp. Oh, the other change from DAOC: No ninjaing keeps. I think that may have been in NF as well though.

The PVE... enh.

As for the miracle change to skill use: I honestly didn't notice a change, but other people seemed to love it.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #804 on: August 19, 2008, 02:10:31 PM

After a few nights of playing the Beta I asked myself the question "What compelling reason is there for me to play this game over WoW?"

I haven't logged back in since that night.  I keep meaning to check out just to see if the bug fixes are rolling along (I think I had a bit more buggy experience than most), but I keep logging into WoW instead..

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR to be released...  
Jump to: